Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my Interest in mmo's is gone i think

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

waynejr2 said:

Look at it this way.  You must be still interested in them because you are on mmo forums reading and posting.  If you were really over them, you wouldn't do that.  Unless you had nothing else going on in your life.  Which is ok.
    Being interested in TALKING about MMOs is not the same as playing them, is it? Plenty here have fun ranting & complaining. May be that is the entertainment, not actually playing MMOs. 
    I do not think you grasp how small the number of members from this community here are riding aboard your little raft. 

And btw, that is a hell of a strange raft.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Cecropia said:

I do not think you grasp how small the number of members from this community here are riding aboard your little raft. 

Yeh my topics have lots of response and lively discussions. In fact, you don't seem to be able to stay away ....
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    They do get a lot of attention, I'll give you that. But, I would definitely not call it positive attention. Oddly enough you apparently have no issue with this. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

waynejr2 said:

Look at it this way.  You must be still interested in them because you are on mmo forums reading and posting.  If you were really over them, you wouldn't do that.  Unless you had nothing else going on in your life.  Which is ok.
    Being interested in TALKING about MMOs is not the same as playing them, is it? Plenty here have fun ranting & complaining. May be that is the entertainment, not actually playing MMOs. 

It shows that you can't quit the hobby because you are still putting time/energy into it.  It means you give a damn on some level.  If you were actually over the hobby you wouldn't be here at all.  Barring addiction, trolling or lack of a social life as factors..
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    waynejr2 said:

waynejr2 said:

It shows that you can't quit the hobby because you are still putting time/energy into it.  It means you give a damn on some level.  If you were actually over the hobby you wouldn't be here at all.  Barring addiction, trolling or lack of a social life as factors..
    It's possible to quit a hobby, and still have discussions about it.  It's not the same as participating in a hobby, whether it's sports, movies, or games.  Yes, there's still interest, but that's not the same as being active in it.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    waynejr2 said:

waynejr2 said:

Or maybe enjoys a good argument? He wouldn't be alone in that respect here, not by a long shot.

MMOArgumentClinic.com. Catchy title change!
    Cecropia said:
    They do get a lot of attention, I'll give you that. But, I would definitely not call it positive attention. Oddly enough you apparently have no issue with this. 
    "Positive" is just a matter of preference. If it is fun for me, it is positive for me. Why else would I be here, otherwise?

Or maybe enjoys a good argument? He wouldn't be alone in that respect here, not by a long shot.

MMOArgumentClinic.com. Catchy title change!
    In fact, didn't lots of people proclaim they are not playing MMOs here? So they are obviously here for the conversation!
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Cecropia said:

waynejr2 said:

His "raft" is a well built raft though. You can throw whatever you want at it....it's still a strong and well built raft.

TALKING and RANTING about MMO's seems to be what a lot of ppl here like to do more than playing MMOs. Being interested in them may never leave us here. But the talk is rampant.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I can't say my interest is totally gone but lately (last three months) I have played a total of 15 minutes in EQ2. I still have an all access so I log in once a month for about 5 minutes to collect my station cash.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    ArChWind said:
    I can't say my interest is totally gone but lately (last three months) I have played a total of 15 minutes in EQ2. I still have an all access so I log in once a month for about 5 minutes to collect my station cash.

There are obviously plenty of other entertainment. Are you taking up something else?
    ArChWind said:

There are obviously plenty of other entertainment. Are you taking up something else?
    Well, sort of. I been in contact with a company about a program I wrote and they want me to write something for them in relation to that program but I honestly can't tell you publicly here because it would a. derail this topic and b. cause a big stink..

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    LumiLumi said:
    I'm starting to think I may be done with video games in general.  More and more my hobbies are taking me away from the keyboard.

MMOs aren't very compelling anymore.  I check this site and try new ones or revisit old ones more out of nostalgia now.  Like most have lamented, the current crop of MMOs just aren't very immersive or interesting.  They lack flavor.  Or perhaps I've finally outgrown them.  

Still, I like to think there will be one more MMO in the near future that grabbed me like they did in the past.  
    Can I ask a personal question: How old are you?

I'm hitting 30 this year and find that I used to play everything. Literally everything. Portable games, console games, PC etc. 

Now my consoles collect dust and I only really play FFXIV and the odd single player game. It's not that there aren't any games I want to play - there's ton. I just don't have time and when I do have time I'd rather progress in FFXIV or hang out with friends/family/irl stuff. 
    I'm in my 40s.  I am from the generation when video games started so gaming in general has been a part of my life for a very long time.  But I do think for some, like me, we out grow games and want to make an impact irl than in a game.  Mind you, I am not being critical of those who want to achieve in video games but I'm finding more value beyond the computer.

I venture to guess that you cling to FFXIV more out of nostalgia and because you have a lot of time invested in it.  I'm sort of the same way with WoW.  I haven't touched the game for almost a year but there's a small part of me that hopes Legion will offer a glimpse of what made that game beautiful.  I know it won't happen but that's what nostalgia does.
    ArChWind said:
    ArChWind said:

Well, sort of. I been in contact with a company about a program I wrote and they want me to write something for them in relation to that program but I honestly can't tell you publicly here because it would a. derail this topic and b. cause a big stink..
    see .. focus on your thing, and forget about MMORPGs .. problem solved. 
  • leoakleoak Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I don't know if I should be relieve that I'm not the only one sick of MMOs.  Right now the only game that's been able to keep me mildly entertained is Mount & Blade despite the repetitiveness of capturing cities and forts over and over again.  For me, it's sad to think the only joy in gaming is trying to aim a strike while on horse back to decapitate an enemy.  Gaming use to be so much fun when companies were trying to out-do one another, but now if you've played one MMO, you've played them all.  I really wish gaming companies would get back their competitive spirit and start trying to one up each other again.     
  • OhamOham Member UncommonPosts: 24
    DMKano said:
    Serious question to those that are at the point of "all interest lost in MMOs" - what has replaced your lost interest?

In other words - what new thing have you gained interest in?
    Photography.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Oham said:
    DMKano said:
    Serious question to those that are at the point of "all interest lost in MMOs" - what has replaced your lost interest?

Photography.
    Single player and indie games.  Also a 3 year old :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Oham said:
    DMKano said:

Photography.

Why does DMKano assume that people have no other interests in the first place?

I watch anime, read novels, play single player games, collect toys .... and I had been doing all these things even when I was playing MMOs. 

So if i lose interests, there is no need to find anything new. They are already there. 
    ArChWind said:
    ArChWind said:

see .. focus on your thing, and forget about MMORPGs .. problem solved. 
    Kind of solved and is what I am doing but, I still cave in once in awhile to my passion for the genre.

edited July 2016
    ArChWind said:

Kind of solved and is what I am doing but, I still cave in once in awhile to my passion for the genre.
    I think the trick is to enjoy what is there, and don't bother with passion about what is not available (unless you are a game developer).

There is so much entertainment out there that I never have a problem finding something new to have fun, if I am bored with whatever current entertainment for whatever reasons. In fact, mixing things up help keep everything more fun.

For example, it is good to take a break from video games when a fav author writes his/her latest novel, or when Netflex releases the new season of a fav show. 

ArChWind said:

I think the trick is to enjoy what is there, and don't bother with passion about what is not available (unless you are a game developer).

There is so much entertainment out there that I never have a problem finding something new to have fun, if I am bored with whatever current entertainment for whatever reasons. In fact, mixing things up help keep everything more fun.

For example, it is good to take a break from video games when a fav author writes his/her latest novel, or when Netflex releases the new season of a fav show. 

We don't always agree but you're right this time. ;)

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    I hear ya mate same thing has been happening with me. I just don't want to play any more, and that's kind of weird lol. Could be that all games are just a new skin on an old game. Could be that the few games that are awesome and could really go some where are destroyed EVER freakin time by the devs. Or that the rly fun games have zero support and cheating/botting run rampant leaving no reason to really play if I have to cheat to play, I mean why bother if there is no skill or my comp does everything for me. You definitely are not alone
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Everyone says you get burnt out... I haven't played an MMO since 2005 for more than a few days in a trial, I've not had any to be burnt out on. They all just suck now, mainly because they aren't making MMOs, they're making these small scale online RPGs that aren't even innovative or interesting. 
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I agree with the OP 100%.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    I stopped playing mmos for a long time too. I went back to Rift and had some fun again. I will quit again for sure but eventually come back. Once our generation has married, you can say good bye to the oldschool MMOs.