Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO Should I play?

BaratukBaratuk Member UncommonPosts: 27
I am really wanting to get back into the mmo scene. My last go was a long stint in Everquest 2. I played that game from launch up until around a year ago. I recently tried it again but I just can't get back into it. 

I was looking at getting into either Elder Scrolls online or giving WoW a chance. Given the choice of the two, which one would you all recommend?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    if you came form and enjoyed EQ2 but never tried Wow , i would suggest Wow ... altho ESO is also a solid game .. just different than what you are used to with EQ2
  • BaratukBaratuk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I tried wow way back when, but never gave it a fair chance as I was heavily involved in eq2. 

I like the Elder scrolls lore/world. I'm just kinda on the fence on which one would be the best one to invest some time into.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    well both have free trials .. so   .. give then both a go and decide for yerself
  • BaratukBaratuk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited July 2016
    Guess thats what I'll do. I was merely here looking to see everyones opinions on the games.

Or if anyone had any other suggestions for good MMO's
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I think Elder Scrolls Online has a lot of good to great qualities.  The biggest thing I wish I had known before going in was that the game relies heavily on animation cancelling.  If you are not familiar with what that is, I will do my best to explain it (I may be a little rough here, I haven't played in a bit):

In ESO your actions are animation locked rather than global-cooldown locked.  If you do an ability, you cannot do your next ability until the animation is complete.  However, crafty players discovered that there is a 'hierarchy' of animations, with each step up on the hierarchy able to 'cancel' any animations below it.  It turns out that even when an ability animation is cancelled like this, the ability still goes off.  Animation cancelling is key to maximizing dps, having any success in PvP, and playing your class to its full potential.

I really do not like animation cancelling.  People say that it takes skill and ups the complexity of the game, and I agree with them.  I still think it is extremely counter intuitive and makes gameplay spammy and unenjoyable.

You can quest and probably even do dungeons just fine without animation cancelling.

If you enjoy this kind of gameplay then go dive in.  I wish I had known this before I played, though, as it is not for me.  I also am not a fan of the ever-present fog and the poor engine performance, but the devs are aware of both issues and working on them (fog has been pushed waaaay back in DLC, and the devs are planning on a DX12 client IIRC).
  • razor716razor716 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I've never tried ESO. Although I have played WoW on and off since it came out in 2004/05 and tried pretty much every mmo on the market except for a select few. I've always come back to WoW for some reason, if that tells you anything. It's a great game, if you do decide to play it make sure you get someone to Recruit-A-Friend you. Infact, I could do that for you if you decide to play. Good luck, my friend.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Scorchien said:
    well both have free trials .. so   .. give then both a go and decide for yerself

ESO has no trial, at least not that I am aware of...
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Chances are you won't be happy with anything, however I would suggest trying Gw2, Tera (free), BD, and Elder Scrolls online.  They are all great games.

You'll most likely end up going back to Everquest 2 in a year however.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    My way of making these initial decisions is to watch some "Let's Play" video's on YouTube for the respective games I'm considering. That usually gives me a good "feel" of what the game atmosphere is like.
  • razor716razor716 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    My way of making these initial decisions is to watch some "Let's Play" video's on YouTube for the respective games I'm considering. That usually gives me a good "feel" of what the game atmosphere is like.
    TheLazyPeon is always good for that.
  • ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263
    ESO and Tera are kinda like an "FPS actiony", so after EQ2 they might feel too different in playstyle. WoW, GW2, Aion are good MMOs, but are close to more familiar EQ2 point-and-click style.

So in the end you gotta ask yourself, do you want to play something more familiar or something more "actiony"?

Cheers.