Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If MMORPG.com integrity matters to you...

Comments

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Kopogero said:
    Good for him, and he shouldn't like most here don't as I've been saying because of the nature of the ranking system in place. It's MMORPG.com staff job to make these forums matter enough for individuals to care more.
     So now you are blaming the site creators for their rating system benefiting others more than you? While those people seem to get agrees and insightful responses, yet people only LOL you, because your stuff is ridiculous? The difference is those people are posting things that people actually like, where you are mostly posting stuff about yourself. Every thread you've ever made, has been about you in one way or another. 

You even posted about your dentistry work costing too much, sometimes you just gotta pay for things and move on. Sinatra said it best, That's life.. 
  • fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Rankings seem to be a battle of attrition to me: the more time you rack up and the more posts you sling at the site, the higher your ranking. 
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    See i just posted how many replies on this thread and i got 1 agree out of it.. do i care no, did it stop me from doing it.. no, it doesn't matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kopogero said:

The only ego I can see here is the one that clearly is you failing to understand the very nature and purpose of this thread, which was about promoting a more honest forum, and imo the current ranking is discouraging that. The way the ranking is also structured makes it opposite of being important enough for most to care for and something to feel great about.

If I was running any forum ranking I would reward those who encourage individuals to be part of these forums. Regardless how somebody has different opinions about something, they are here to do just that and discuss about it.
    Again with the "I'm the only honest one"... I post my honest feelings regardless of how popular they are.

Do you have any kind of reasoning to validate the notion others aren't being honest, so in turn they're scoring better? 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    Kopogero said:

The only ego I can see here is the one that clearly is you failing to understand the very nature and purpose of this thread, which was about promoting a more honest forum, and imo the current ranking is discouraging that. The way the ranking is also structured makes it opposite of being important enough for most to care for and something to feel great about.

If I was running any forum ranking I would reward those who encourage individuals to be part of these forums. Regardless how somebody has different opinions about something, they are here to do just that and discuss about it.
    Again with the "I'm the only honest one"... I post my honest feelings regardless of how popular they are.

Do you have any kind of reasoning to validate the notion others aren't being honest, so in turn they're scoring better? 

I'll chime in here, I have absolutely nothing to verify a hunch, that is all it is, a Columboesque hunch, but there are certain posters on here who respond to most new threads with a very measured rehash of opinions known to be popular on this site. It may be that all their opinions are effortlessly populist... but seems odd.  
    You received 25 LOLs. 
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited July 2016
    Some people probably are. In any large enough group there are always people there solely to cause trouble, or to seek validation. 

However do you think Kopegera is the "the only honest one" here.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    edited July 2016
    fatears said:
    Distopia said:

I'll chime in here, I have absolutely nothing to verify a hunch, that is all it is, a Columboesque hunch, but there are certain posters on here who respond to most new threads with a very measured rehash of opinions known to be popular on this site. It may be that all their opinions are effortlessly populist... but seems odd.  
    That depends on what you want to attribute the intended pay off to? It's no secret that social acceptance is something some seek. Yet I think the payoff there is that social acceptance, not an arbitrary point system. As that has always been an "issue" on forums scored or not scored. Some people care about being a part of the "in" crowd. 

I really don't think the point system equates to overall social acceptance, more so ratio of individual agreeable points made. In other words, frequency of offering rational thoughts. Which is quite simply the easiest type of statement to agree with. 

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    The opinion of strangers in an online environment is of very, very little interest to me - unless they demonstrate a true desire to know and understand me - which I would never expect from a stranger, and certainly not online.

As such, I think the entire point system is completely superfluous - but it doesn't bother me, as I don't pay attention to it.

It's as much a mystery to me why anyone would care - as it's a mystery why people seek social acceptance in general, considering how fickle and fleeting such a thing is. Beyond that, why would anyone want to be accepted or "liked" by people they don't know - and whose opinion of them could never be anything near informed?

Even in real life - I find the motivation to care about the opinions of my peers doesn't go beyond their ability or inclination to understand that with which they're not familiar.

Ironically, that position has gotten me a lot of "respect" from strangers and peers - for reasons beyond me. However, I have no use for that respect, except for the convenience of not being bothered by petty bullies a whole lot.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited July 2016
    Distopia said:
    I really don't think the point system equates to overall social acceptance, more so ratio of individual agreeable points made. In other words, frequency of offering rational thoughts. Which is quite simply the easiest type of statement to agree with.
    ...are you trying to suggest that people tend to agree more with well reasoned argument rather than statements resonating with their own bias?
    Gdemami said:
    Distopia said:
    ...are you trying to suggest that people tend to agree more with well reasoned argument rather than statements resonating with their own bias?
    It's about 50/50 - in my experience.

The unfortunate part is that a lot of the most reasonable people tend to stay quiet, because they don't think participating is worth the aggravation. 

That means that the loud and irrational tend to take the spotlight more often than not - and you're the perfect example of that :)
    Gdemami said:
    Distopia said:
    Not really, because a middle ground argument can score well within a partisan environment of just about any kind.. 

Distopia said:
    Not really, because a middle ground argument can score well within a partisan environment of just about any kind.. 
    ....and you realize that is a fallacy, right?

I guess that answered my question though.

Also, I'm always amazed at how many of the same people continuously flock to @Kopogero's threads just to tell him how much they don't care what he has to say.
    Lets be honest here, most of us responding are those who lurk the recent posts feed... We flock to everything... a certain mister as well :P...

Distopia said:
    fatears said:
    Distopia said:

That depends on what you want to attribute the intended pay off to? It's no secret that social acceptance is something some seek. Yet I think the payoff there is that social acceptance, not an arbitrary point system. As that has always been an "issue" on forums scored or not scored. Some people care about being a part of the "in" crowd. 

Rational thoughts or thoughts that reflect a consensus of opinion amongst your audience, in other words, populist. I think it is the latter that receives most upvotes, as long as it is couched in language that doesn't stray so far into sycophancy as to be transparent. 

I certainly think some will see a points system as validation. I also think it results in people sanitizing their opinions into banality. I would rather reading threads by the OP than threads by people too afraid of the backlash to voice their true opinions.
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    Gdemami said:
    Distopia said:
    ....and you realize that is a fallacy, right?

I guess that answered my question though.
    Everything can be construed into a fallacy, just as your deduction here, because there were no specifics involved. 

edited July 2016
    Distopia said:

Also, I'm always amazed at how many of the same people continuously flock to @Kopogero's threads just to tell him how much they don't care what he has to say.
    Lets be honest here, most of us responding are those who lurk the recent posts feed... We flock to everything... a certain mister as well :P...
    Oh of course but when it comes to this poster in particular a certain contingent can't seem to just walk away from something they don't really give a shit about and instead bloat the thread count into the stratosphere thereby encouraging the guy to keep making more posts. It seems very counter productive. 
    Extra bored today, eh? ;)
    MisterZebub said:
    Oh of course but when it comes to this poster in particular a certain contingent can't seem to just walk away from something they don't really give a shit about and instead bloat the thread count into the stratosphere thereby encouraging the guy to keep making more posts. It seems very counter productive. 
    Look at it from other perspective.

If you only had to response and contribute to threads that are well reasoned, you wouldn't be posting here much...
    Distopia said:

Pot meet kettle ;)
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    fatears said:
    Distopia said:
    fatears said:
    Distopia said:

Rational thoughts or thoughts that reflect a consensus of opinion amongst your audience, in other words, populist. I think it is the latter that receives most upvotes, as long as it is couched in language that doesn't stray so far into sycophancy as to be transparent. 

I certainly think some will see a points system as validation. I also think it results in people sanitizing their opinions into banality. I would rather reading threads by the OP than threads by people too afraid of the backlash to voice their true opinions.
    We're talking about games here, populist opinion is always going to be a part of entertainment discussion, the games that are popular are the games that are popular for a reason. 

Hence, I'm still drawing a blank on what would motivate one to take a stance on games they don't actually agree with. It would make little sense. There's little reason to, as there are "groups" to belong to either way. You can play the hipster, but to what avail? An arbitrary score on a site devoted to a meaningless hobby, that means nothing in the overall social sphere?

Are you just trying to be profane, or is there a reason to focus on what would in all likely hood be an outlier of even the extreme user here?

Distopia said:
    fatears said:
    Distopia said:
    fatears said:
    Distopia said:

We're talking about games here, populist opinion is always going to be a part of entertainment discussion, the games that are popular are the games that are popular for a reason. 

Hence, I'm still drawing a blank on what would motivate one to take a stance on games they don't actually agree with. It would make little sense. There's little reason to, as there are "groups" to belong to either way. You can play the hipster, but to what avail? An arbitrary score on a site devoted to a meaningless hobby, that means nothing in the overall social sphere?

Are you just trying to be profane, or is there a reason to focus on what would in all likely hood be an outlier of even the extreme user here?

The problem is that I reject your central assertion, that no-one here cares about the points system. I think that some users manifestly care a great deal about it.
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    I don't think we have the slightest chance of knowing just how many people care about the points system.

However, in my experience - a surprising amount of people tend to care about things I personally have zero interest in.

So, I would have to guess that a significant portion of posters care about it - to some extent.
    No, while I felt quite a large unnecessary wall of text was involved, I felt the OPs idea had some merit for discussion, but was amused after a read through how many posters claimed they didn't and in fact don't feel any of the guy's ideas have merit yet they continue to keep his threads alive. I was just pointing out the irony.
    Going back to the topic, I think that's the issue the OP seems to be having.. His point is good fuel for discussion, it's just bogged down by it's delivery. He framed it to close to himself, rather than the actual system that is in place here. 

Which there are plenty of pros and cons to discuss with these systems.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the points here on this site.  The only time I have seen another poster use them as some sort of status symbol is about 8 months to a year ago.  A particular poster didn't like a list that MMORPG.com came up with.  I think something along the lines of top 10 MMOs of all time or something.  Since ESO didn't make that list he posted his own top 10 list that was agreed upon by, according to him, the the "top posters" which was what he determined by the number of points he and some others had.  I think he felt points = credibility or authority,...or something.  Needless to say ESO made his list, of course.  It was amusing regardless, but yeh. 

Points?  Unless MMORPG.com starts handing out prizes for high scores instead of different colored names then meh. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

This discussion has been closed.