Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

Comments

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I've been playing Revelation Online on the Chinese client lately.

I know there are a few people that will immediately disregard it, but I urge people to take a second glance due to the company that has created it and the # of features this game has.

Granted this all comes down to how they handle the NA release of it.
  • AziahAziah Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Bruhza said:

I know there are a few people that will immediately disregard it, but I urge people to take a second glance due to the company that has created it and the # of features this game has.

looks good but ruined by p2w
    edited June 2016
    Aziah said:
    Bruhza said:

looks good but ruined by p2w
    I'm curious as to what is currently P2W in it, as I have seen a list of the cash shop items and all I found was the high lvl healing potion, which is still obtainable through the game and doesn't seem to even be useable for PvP. (at least arena)

I'm not trying to say you're wrong (as many Chinese MMO's do that) but I just want to know if I missed something. If it really is P2W though, then I'm even more curious as to what they will change for the NA release.

I will have to admit though, that even if it does end up being P2W, I would probably end up still playing it as it has so many things that I truly do enjoy. More-so than any other recent MMO.

(btw in-game currency can be traded for the cash shop currency and it really isn't all that unreasonable)
  • AziahAziah Member UncommonPosts: 10
    there was a long and detail reddit post about it ill try to find it again
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    I am right there with you. I consistently played MMORPGs for nearly half of my life, and now there is not a single one I am even remotely excited about. The same problems plague every single MMO:

1) Abuse of cash shops and RMT-dependence

2) Reactive, instead of proactive, measures taken against botting, hacking, cheating, etc. It is always handled so slowly and lazily; by the time studios do anything, irreperable damage has already been done to in-game economies.

3) Same exact formula for all of them. Same classes, same art, same settings, same monsters. Most of all, the same, tired end-game we have lived with for nearly a decade.

4) Gear treadmills, dailies, emphasis on uber-casuals. 

5) No communities anymore. Grind grind grind -> gear up -> ggnore

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• GorgathaGorgatha Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Yeah I have been hoping for a decent mmo for years...
    Aziah said:
    there was a long and detail reddit post about it ill try to find it again
    Let me know if you find it. I will definitely read it if you do as I tried searching for it but no luck finding anything.

Also, I would like to point out that Revelation Online only just recently went into Open Beta on April 22, 2016 and I know the game actually went through quite a few changes (Even a graphical update at some point). Perhaps it's just false hope but it is possible that they received some complaints on the previous cash shop. 

Hard to say though.

By the way, this is the list I'm going off of. It's a bit old, but I couldn't find anything in the cash shop that didn't match one of these. (The cloud point thing is actually an in-game currency, not purchasable, so it would only be the items under cash shop)
    http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/331/20150620/55858c2ba7d3f3e13-1.html#p55858c2ba7d3f3
  • HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    For me Gloria Victis can be a good MMO at the moment in Alpha but it is fun already.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    rush1984 said:
    ive come to the conclusion i only ever loved one mmorpg and that was vanilla wow , and ive played every AAA mmorpg thats come  out since and never stuck with them for longer than a year so im just gonna have to admit that mmorpgs aint my thing, they cant be otherwise id atleast have more than one that i like as there is so many but meh... i liked Rift when it came out and Tera online, and FF14arr , wildstar sucked , swtor was a disappointment, Warhammer was a mess, Aion was a grind fest, Elder scrolls online wasnt "elder scrolls", lord of the rings online was dated, Age of conan was dull ,current wow is a noobfest and so on and so forth.

ye im pretty much done, ive got so many accounts for so many games that i dont use so many i cant even remember the login for half of them.....meh im done :dizzy:

Yep. The gaming culture just isn't the same as it was ten years ago. Mmorpgs might get a second wind someday, but right now it's a desert of hollow retreads and desperate novelty.
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited June 2016
    Everything is going to MOBAs, PvP, and shooters.  Very limited cooperation.  Nobody wants to run or be in anything with anybody.  It's pickup and shoot.  Not a mmo to me.  Again, if games insist on making all ATs independent.  There's no need to be online with anybody else and, along with corporate coddling, it's causing the genre to die dwindle imo.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    rush1984 said:
    ive come to the conclusion i only ever loved one mmorpg and that was vanilla wow , and ive played every AAA mmorpg thats come  out since and never stuck with them for longer than a year so im just gonna have to admit that mmorpgs aint my thing, they cant be otherwise id atleast have more than one that i like as there is so many but meh... i liked Rift when it came out and Tera online, and FF14arr , wildstar sucked , swtor was a disappointment, Warhammer was a mess, Aion was a grind fest, Elder scrolls online wasnt "elder scrolls", lord of the rings online was dated, Age of conan was dull ,current wow is a noobfest and so on and so forth.

ye im pretty much done, ive got so many accounts for so many games that i dont use so many i cant even remember the login for half of them.....meh im done :dizzy:
    Or you may just be tired of no freedom themeparks with forced NPC errand running (questing).  All the games you listed are of that type.  Unfortunately there aren't many alternatives out there.  Black Desert does offer some freedom and a different set up and there are some less themeparky indie games on the horizon.  Overall, I do agree that this is not a super exciting time for MMO's though.
  • SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108
    DztBlk said:
    Everything is going to MOBAs, PvP, and shooters.  Very limited cooperation.  Nobody wants to run or be in anything with anybody.  It's pickup and shoot.  Not a mmo to me.  Again, if games insist on making all ATs independent.  There's no need to be online with anybody else and, along with corporate coddling, it's causing the genre to die dwindle imo.
    I dont know what it is with all developers making esport mmorpgs, like crowfall and unchained. They should learn that esport is for mobas and fps not mmorpgs. DaoC was so so much more than just pvp. The PvE, crafting, dungeons and pvp together is what made it great.
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    The thing is, I think all the ideas are right there in plain sight, but the execution is just awful.

In my mind, a perfect MMORPG would look something like this:

1) The class-switching/job-switching system of FFXI + Rift; 1 character, can level them up, can switch between them, weapon skills and abilities level up via usage over time, and cap out based on class combinations. Lots of room for theorycrafting here, alternative playstyles, etc.

2) The crafting system from FFXIV + EQ2 + SWG. Thoughtful item decay, interactive crafting, quality levels on your resources, etc. Deep, immersive crafting that requires player involvement instead of WoW mass crafting.

3) A huge emphasis on server-driven storylines. I.e. The actions (or inactions) of players on a server having a direct impact on the game. Think SWtoR meets Mass Effect style impacts, but on a broader scale.

4) Emphasis less on upgrading new gear and more on tactical play/leveling. Think FFXI (skillchaining, minimal itemization, etc) meets the equivalent of like Diablo 3, where you can kill and slaughter all day. Endless progression, albeit grindy, but with "soft" ceilings at end game.

5) Living world economy (Archeage) that is tightly regulated by GM's and the Devs from day 1, so as to prevent RMT disruption of in-game economies.

This is a game I would play for a decade.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Dunno what to say except EQN was 'THEE' forseeable futrue until it went bye bye..
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    edited July 2016
    i feel quite miserable without a mmorpg to play , my gaming community is really quiet these days , all i do now is work, get drunk down the pub and watch tv shows/anime in my spare time lol i even sold my ps4 last week because i never play it :( i need a game to play bad, im hoping I am setsuna will keep me entertained for a few weeks atleast lol i feel like im being forced to grow up and be an old fart that doesnt play games :( sooooo bored QQ at this rate i might have no choice but to buy Legion (god i hope it doesnt come to that) !!
  • UbradolUbradol Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited July 2016
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/452809/argardh-knights-of-tibia-an-8-6-tibia-server-game-open-source-low-req-great-pvp-epic-lore#latest

www.argardh.com
    Tibia 8.6 Custom OT
    Easy graphics, open-source, great PvP and RPG, open world with great Lore

Open-Beta launching on August 23rd but gameservers are already on for whoever wants to check it out. (Edit: But all accounts and characters will be wiped Aug 22 just as they will be before Game RElease on 19 December, so, 2 more resets from now then its 0.0 resets)

www.Argardh.com F2P, Open-source with low-req/graphic MMORPG launching Open-Beta on 23rd August. Based on Tibia 8.6
    Follow us: www.facebook.com/Argardh Youtube-channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmxHWGpO790r-4wn4AEeSA

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    edited July 2016
    Selo said:
    I dont know what it is with all developers making esport mmorpgs, like crowfall and unchained. They should learn that esport is for mobas and fps not mmorpgs. DaoC was so so much more than just pvp. The PvE, crafting, dungeons and pvp together is what made it great.
    Simply put, they don't have the budget to make a high quality full scope MMORPG.
    Something has to give. They chose to lower the scope instead of lowering quality.

The days when you could make a full scope decent quality MMORPG for a small to mid sized budget are long gone.
    Due to all the years with mass market budget monsters with bloated mega budgets, user expectations are out of whack.
    Now that we are moving back to more niche oriented MMORPGs budgets have to go back down to the appropiate sizes. 
    Unfortunately, it will take a while until the players understand this and accept lower polish/quality, thus for now the best option is to make a lower scope very focussed game.

• VeerdinVeerdin Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I'm being cautiously optimistic about Bless online. The game looks great in videos, but I don't know enough about it to truely make a judgement.

I'm tempted to try and navigate the jungle that is the Korean site + VPN whatsits, as there's no release date on the English version (all we know for sure is that Aria games is publishing it in NA/EU) but compared to everything else currently floating around, it's the only one that's really got me intrigued.

If anybody has any details on the game (or plays it) I'd be open to discussion via PM, if you're happy to answer some questions.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Veerdin said:
    I'm being cautiously optimistic about Bless online. The game looks great in videos, but I don't know enough about it to truely make a judgement.

I'm tempted to try and navigate the jungle that is the Korean site + VPN whatsits, as there's no release date on the English version (all we know for sure is that Aria games is publishing it in NA/EU) but compared to everything else currently floating around, it's the only one that's really got me intrigued.

If anybody has any details on the game (or plays it) I'd be open to discussion via PM, if you're happy to answer some questions.
    you could check out this fan-site if you haven't already done so.
    http://bless-source.com/
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VeerdinVeerdin Member UncommonPosts: 33
    @Shaigh Thanks! I did see that there was an English patch for the game, but the whole needing to pay for a KR account + needing to buy a VPN is a bit of a turn-off right now. Especially since the game apparently has forced PVP after level 30.  But I appreciate the heads up!
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Gaendric said:

Unfortunately, it will take a while until the players understand this and accept lower polish/quality, thus for now the best option is to make a lower scope very focussed game.

why would I ever need to accept lower polish/quality? There are plenty of other fun online games with polish/quality.

That is not to say indie game cannot have some polish & quality. 
    edited July 2016
    Gaendric said:

why would I ever need to accept lower polish/quality? There are plenty of other fun online games with polish/quality.

That is not to say indie game cannot have some polish & quality. 
    You are missing the point. We were talking about niche games in certain sub-segments. I was replying to a comment about specific games not being full scope. 
    People who want those types of games can't just play something else that doesn't fit to their taste. 
    It's great for you that you enjoy mass market games (I do too), but not everyone does.
    Those people can not have their niche games with mass market budgets.
    That was the point. Thus something has to give. Either they accept focussed lower scope games or a bit less polish.

Post edited by Gaendric on
  • leoakleoak Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I'm so bored with gaming I've resorted to watching anime from the 80s. :(  I'm finding it far more entertaining to watch anime that was already old when I saw it as a little kid than playing anything that's available on the market now.  I'm guessing that by the time I've watched my way back to present day anime, maybe -- just maybe!-- there will be something mildly entertaining to play.  So far No Man's Sky and Worlds Adrift are the only games that look like they might be interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up. 

As for future of MMOs, for me it seems like it's a genre that's died a slow death and all that's left is a rotting corpse.  Gone are the days you could play an MMO for a year or more.  Count yourself lucky if you find one you can play for more than 3 months.        
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Gaendric said:

People who want those types of games can't just play something else that doesn't fit to their taste. 
    It's great for you that you enjoy mass market games (I do too), but not everyone does.
    That was the point. Thus something has to give. Either they accept focussed lower scope games or a bit less polish.

Sure ... but people who have taste so narrow that there is no good AAA options may want to think about expanding their horizon.

Gaendric said:

Sure ... but people who have taste so narrow that there is no good AAA options may want to think about expanding their horizon.

Yes, if they don't accept mid-budget scope/quality, they will have to. I agree.