Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth buying?

KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
I'm bored. Currently the game costs $20 on Steam, which is low enough to at least make me pause and consider. I enjoy a healthy mix of PvP and PvE and roleplaying (are there RP servers? If not, is there a server that the community as designated as the RP 'go-to' place?). 

So, is it worth buying? Is the Imperial Edition, for $10 more, worth it (I'm inclined, based on my own research, to say no, but I don't like to permanently rule out playing a race, especially of humans)? The Steam sale ends early Tuesday, so I am looking for a little feedback before then. Basically, it's a toss up right now between this and resubscribing to EVE. 

Comments

• NoGuiltGamingNoGuiltGaming Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I bought it on Steam ($30 CAD) with no prior experience of any Elder scrolls games and am having a blast. Can't really say much to the RP thing though as I've only put about 10 hrs into the game so far.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I don't think you will go wrong for 20 bucks. I bought it for that. While I haven't spent much time in the game. I do load it up every now and again. 
  • DayneOrlyDayneOrly Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I'm personally having a good time on ESO, i got it about a month ago, getting to 50 is fun, the quest storys can be interesting if you pay attention to them, some more then others.  

The pve all works fine, dungeons are a good time, the dungeon finder mostly works, i use a healer and from idk 10am-9pm i get insta pops, for whatever reason after 9/10pm it takes around a hour, i personally thing its something server side but i just try to do a dungeon or two before work then quest late night.

PVP i have barely got into but plan on doing more now that im 50.  

Its all one big server so no RP server but there is most definitely RP happening, i saw about 10 people RP'ing in a castle while i was questing.  I have no doubt you could find a RP guild(of which you can have a bunch)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    For $20 I'd give it a go.  Need a sub to get extra inventory space for crafting.  DLCs break the game.  The nerf bat is nasty.  Great graphics.  If you don't like bugs you won't like ESO.  This is the type of game you will love or hate, no middle ground.  Overall the game feels like the Devs are too money hungry, so I only play it everyonce in awhile. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited July 2016
    Teso-rp.com ought to help you out with how to find the RP on that game.
    IMO it's worth it. Especially for $20 as many have already pointed out.

Have fun!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• scribeofsalmacisscribeofsalmacis Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited July 2016
    I'm bored. Currently the game costs $20 on Steam, which is low enough to at least make me pause and consider. I enjoy a healthy mix of PvP and PvE and roleplaying (are there RP servers? If not, is there a server that the community as designated as the RP 'go-to' place?). 

So, is it worth buying? Is the Imperial Edition, for $10 more, worth it (I'm inclined, based on my own research, to say no, but I don't like to permanently rule out playing a race, especially of humans)? The Steam sale ends early Tuesday, so I am looking for a little feedback before then. Basically, it's a toss up right now between this and resubscribing to EVE. 
    It'd be hard to recommend ESO as a healthy dose of PvP and PvE. It's more like a massive, very linear PvE grind to get some acceptable gear, then a neglected and underdeveloped PvP experience. If you enjoy a generic, very epic-type story, and don't mind a straight story path, and don't expect that the concept has anything other than cosmetic to do with the Elder Scroll series, and don't need to be able to play meaningful PvP to begin with, and don't expect developer transparency, yet expect certain developer money-grubbing flavour, then I suppose ESO can be a good game.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I like this game a lot.  The Imperial Edition gives you a few nice perks, especially access to the Imperial race and the free Imperial mount.  It will take you about a month to get enough cash to get a mount if you scrimp and save.  You can upgrade the edition after you buy the game, but it is $30 to do so, unless it is on sale.  There are three megaservers, one for each platform, so there are no RP servers.  However, there are areas that RPers gather at to do their RP thing.  I'm not really into it, but I often will listen in, because some of these guys and gals are pretty entertaining to listen to.

A few things to really like.
    A)  All zones are populated.  The starter zone always has people in it, and there are people in every zone at all times of the day and night. 
    B) Complete freedom to build your character.  You can make a Warrior healer wearing cloth armor, or you can have a sorcerer tank wearing heavy armor.  Will the Warrior healer be the best healer?  Probably not, but they can be very effective healers with practice and the right setup.  The point is that you have the freedom to build just about anything you want, which is a plus for an RPer. 
    C) Crafting is worthwhile.  You won't find much gear, food or potions better than can be crafted, so it is worthwhile to put time into crafting.  As @Octagon7711 stated, they have a new virtually unlimited bag to store crafting mats in if you sub. 
    D) subs are worthwhile.  You get access to all DLCs, you get access to the crafting bag (VERY BIG DEAL) and you get 1500 Crowns a month to spend in the Crown store.  You won't find any P2W items there, but they have worthwhile stuff to buy; costumes, XP boosters, mounts, cool pets, etc... those 1500 crowns cost $14.99 to buy on the ESO website, which is, coincidentally, the cost of a sub. 
    E) Graphics are nice, and they are really really nice if you have a decent machine.
    F) Quests are EVERYWHERE.  Just pick a direction and someone with a carrot (a quest marker) will pop up to offer you a quest.
    G) the last three DLC zones scale, so even if you are low level you can go into these zones and contribute.  The next DLC is going to do this for all zones.
    There are more things to like, but I'll stop there.

A few things to not like.
    A) There are three PvP areas, but you can only get into one of them unless you buy the Imperial City DLC or get a sub.  And Cyrodil, the all access PvP area, is notorious for lag, although it got a little better with the last patch.  A little.
    B) Bugs.  There are a lot of bugs in this game that IMO should have been fixed a long time ago.  Nothing game breaking, mostly just annoying.
    C) There are a lot of little sh*ts in the game now that it is F2P.  Once again, mostly just annoying.  If you sub, then the easy way to get away from most of the sh*ts is to go into a DLC zone like Orsinium. 
    D) the zones are huge.  This is not really a problem once you find all of the Wayshrines, but you have to find them before you can use them.
    E) It takes a while to learn the game to the point you feel like you know it, there is just so many details!
    More things to not like, but I'll stop there.

As I said, I like this game a lot, even with its problems.  But as @Octagon7711 also said, this is a love-it-or-hate-it game.  If you buy it, take a little time to get to know it, and don't sub until you are sure.  I don't consider the bugs game breaking, but you have to decide for yourself on that matter.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    It is well worth that money, even if for only a month, it is worth that money. 
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

There are no set servers, each time you log in, you log in to a different 'instance' of the game, and how many instances there are entirely depends on how many people are online at that time, so there basically aren't any RP or other types of servers, just 1 'megaserver' but don't confuse it with Eve Online that has a single server for all players, megaservers just spawn off new instances of the game based on player numbers.
    That doesn't mean there isn't any RP though, there is, you have to join the RP guilds, you can be a member of i think 5 guilds at any one time, so in effect, guilds become 'chat channels' for RP'ers.
    I don't think you would lose anything, except time perhaps, by buying a copy of the game currently and having a look for yourself, there has been a fair amount of hype on the game here so far, i would advise you not to take it too seriously, as it will only lead to unrealistic expectations of the game, instead, go into the game without preconceptions, as you are more likely to enjoy it that way. B)
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Yes it is an excellent mmo, has great pve and a very good RvR pvp system. I have the imperial edition, but you don't need it and can always upgrade later if its important to you. However, getting the other dlc (new pve areas etc) would be a better way to spend any extra money on the game imo.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016

You should be able to get it for $20 or less on Amazon or one of the authorized sellers - Iselin posted a sticky in the forums.

Do Steam still have a distinct server(s)? Think they still do. And should - at some point in the future - you want to buy DLC it will lock you into buying from Steam maybe missing out on deals that have been offered by Zenimax / other re-sellers.

Is the Imperial worth it? Not needed. The upgrade is available if you decide you want it later, cost is 1,500 "crowns" which is not much more than $10 can be less in a sale or if you "bulk buy" for DLC purchases (5,500 is $25). So I suggest you just go with the base game and decide later.

Is there an RP server? Strict answer: no. Expansive answer: the game uses mega-servers. Basically 6 servers - 1PC, 1XB1, 1PS4 for US and EU. And - as mentioned - a Steam server. So better question: is there "role-playing" - but not sure tbh gut feel says no but I think it will come down to role-playing guilds and that would depend on which server/platform you were on.

There is a mix of PvE and PvP. Base game has time limited campaigns - that ebb and flow, sometimes good sometimes e.g. one side gets the upper hand other sides "give in". Some guilds focus on this aspect and they could be a good source for "rp". One of the DLCs also added a mixed PvP / PvE area as well.

Is it worth playing?
    First the base game - and you don't need to sub or buy any DLC (you might do later but don't need to) - is huge.

Approached as a "single player game" ESO has all the hallmarks of the ES single player heritage. There are difference but it works well. Note: this is not an mmo that has gone down the solo path. On this basis alone it is worthwhile. 

Approached as a co-op game the mega-servers probably coupled with it being b2p means that there are people pretty much everywhere all the time - despite the huge size of the game world. And with public dungeons, world bosses, mobs in the wild and other stuff that is fun to do collectively it can be a blast. 

And finally it is what is generally considered to be an mmo. (There are debates about what an mmo is of course!) There are multiple dungeons and challenges that have to be done in groups though.

Will you like it? Have a look at some game play on Youtube etc. that will give you an idea. And if you didn't like Morrowind / Oblivion / Skyrim probably not. (Doesn't mean you will like it if you liked those games but if you didn't probably not for you). Will you get bored after a while? Absolutely imo - just like any game. You may even get bored before you run out of content the game is that big but not because e.g. the quests are all "the same" - they are not. However you will be able to put it down and come back to it after a break.

Edit: getting the gold for a basic mount should only take a few days.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    I bought the game and it was fun for a while also cuz i had a friend to play with but then she left and i was solo in th egame..i was in a guild tho but if you ask me..the gfx and game is ok but you will be bored after you do some solo questing...also i dont like how the guild system works...and the auction houses..why would i be in 5 different guilds and walk to 100 different npc just to find what i need in the AH..it sucks

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    not worth it.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    edited July 2016
    Not worth 1 dollar let alone 20.

This is one of the worst MMO's i've ever played.

Theres a reason its on steam and its cheap.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I bought it at full price and I've gotten more than my money's worth. Already have about 250 hours into it, and that's only playing 1 character.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The Imperial Edition gets you a horse for your account, the ability to play the Imperial race - a good race for tanks and/or melee characters - and the ability to convert any crafted armor to the Imperial style... worth an extra $10? Maybe... depends on how strapped for cash you are but you do get value for it.

The game itself leans heavily toward being solo-centric in PVE and exactly the opposite in PVP. It's my favorite type of persistent 24/7 PVP so I'm biased. I detest so called "open world PVP" and all the community problems that go along with that. Here it's confined to Cyrodiil and the Imperial CIty and the areas are large enough to give you the open world feel but with the advantage that you can go do it when you feel like it not when someone else does. It's also objective based PVP with its own set of skills that you learn and train by PVPing (...and once you know those skills they can be used also in PVE.)

The PVE is quest-heavy but the quests are well-written and voice acted. There is a shit ton of content - almost too much.

As to RP... you'll need to find an RP guild, of which there are many. There are a lot of RP-friendly tools in the game including costumes, emotes and they've just started adding "personalities" to the game - one so far with the release of the Dark Brotherhood (assassin personality of course) but there are many more coming in the next update. Personalities are toggles that change the character's posture, idle animations, walking, running, etc. and even change the animation of some emotes.

Worth a hell of a lot more than a beer and pizza.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• scribeofsalmacisscribeofsalmacis Member UncommonPosts: 26
     And if you didn't like Morrowind / Oblivion / Skyrim probably not. (Doesn't mean you will like it if you liked those games but if you didn't probably not for you).
    I really don't get this reference. ESO is nothing like the single player franchise its brand and cosmetic allegations are based on. And I did initially do the grind it required, levelled a few toons up to veteran something levels, levelled all the crafts, tried to secure an entertaining RvR experience, made gold. And I've also spent thousands of hours on the single player ES series earlier in my life, to be able to compare the products.

The benchmark of the Elder Scrolls series at least since Daggerfall is the freedom of going almost absolutely where ever you like in the open world, but with that comes the risk of getting owned, if you fail to know your limits. You may explore to your heart's desire. ESO is a rather conservative theme park MMO, the story of which is introduced in a strictly linear manner, area by area, with each one of those areas targeted at a certain  approximate character level. With all due respect, I'm forced to disagree.  =) While the actual writing of the series was never of immensely high quality, I've loved all the games since Daggerfall well for that relative freedom and certain earthy, political thematics. ESO shares none, absolutely none of that.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2016
    Not worth 1 dollar let alone 20.

This is one of the worst MMO's i've ever played.

Theres a reason its on steam and its cheap.
    - Why not? claiming something without giving reason = baseless opiinion.

- One of the worst that YOU played, you just said it. That doesnt mean its the worst for everyone else playing.

- Of course there is a reason its on steam and its cheap. Its on steam because its the biggest PC gaming distributor, and its cheap because its already 2 years old and steam makes massive sales on ALL their games, specially older ones.

Try harder ;)

Edited typo.

EDIT2: is it perfect? of course not. The pseudo action combat with a tab targeting system hidden behind real time weapon swinging is absolutely absurd.But outside of that it is a fun game.

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Well if the best MMO of the last 3 years, and one of the best of all time is not enough to give it at least a try, then I really don't know what else to say.
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311

It'd be hard to recommend ESO as a healthy dose of PvP and PvE. It's more like a massive, very linear PvE grind to get some acceptable gear, then a neglected and underdeveloped PvP experience. If you enjoy a generic, very epic-type story, and don't mind a straight story path, and don't expect that the concept has anything other than cosmetic to do with the Elder Scroll series, and don't need to be able to play meaningful PvP to begin with, and don't expect developer transparency, yet expect certain developer money-grubbing flavour, then I suppose ESO can be a good game.
    Well someone's bitter...

Witty & Wicked >:)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    v_Ve said:

Well someone's bitter...
    Probably played a Stam Sorc :p
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I'm not into this type of game play but also bought it for 20$ and it was worth it I played about 2 months and defenetly it's a fun game. I play it every now and then and it does feel like a mix of elder scroll with an mmorpg.
    Phry said:
    v_Ve said:

Well someone's bitter...
    Probably played a Stam Sorc :p
    Hey, not my Stam Sorc... he's kicking ass and taking names later

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/452506/rocking-the-house-with-a-stamina-sorc#latest
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I bought it... only played the first 20 minutes or so, however, because I ran out of character deletions (I cannot believe that's a thing) and will have to wait for tomorrow to take the plunge for real.
    I bought it... only played the first 20 minutes or so, however, because I ran out of character deletions (I cannot believe that's a thing) and will have to wait for tomorrow to take the plunge for real.
    Holy crap, you went through 11 characters in one day?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED