Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I’m Looking Forward to The Elder Scrolls Legends - Michael Bitton at MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

imageWhy I’m Looking Forward to The Elder Scrolls Legends - Michael Bitton at MMORPG.com

Is it possible that Hearthstone gave way to green lighting a game like Elder Scrolls Legends? Sure. But that doesn’t mean Blizzard has a monopoly on studios creating card games based on their intellectual properties.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Everyone has a card game now.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Am I the onoy one who quit playing after the latest expansion? It used to ve a must play on my phone but now I have it uninstalled.
  • zinnikeyszinnikeys Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Wow. That was... lame.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    i got a beta invite- but i thought it was for tablets too- cant play a card game on my computer tbh.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    zinnikeys said:
    Wow. That was... lame.
    agreed

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Because you got paid by Bethesda?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Once there was a time when diversity was welcome and people liked it when a genre became more popular and expanded.

Nowadays when a company makes a mmorpg: "Don't we have enough mmorpgs already?"
    A company makes a card game: "The last thing we need is another card game".
    -What happened??

Sometimes a genre has 10 titles and still not the right one for some people.
    That's why i'm looking forward to this and hope that it has a more gritty, serious touch to it than the title it's about to compete with. If so, then it may be just the cardgame for me.
    Simple example of why more choices can be a good thing to some players.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2016
    I find it sad that any developer, especially one as awesome as Bethesda, should have to qualify releasing a title into a market just because Blizzard has released a title into that market.

Folks project WoW's success and quality far too much onto Blizzard's other products.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Just because Blizzard doesn't have a monopoly on card games doesn't mean that it's unfair to criticize them for doing a card game. They clearly *are* jumping on the bandwagon. Same as with the new Quake thingy even. The moment Overwatch sells really well and is popular, Bethesda reveal a Quake based team/class FPS. Sure, they probably worked on that for a while already, but i doubt we would have heard of it if Overwatch had struggled.

Also, the problem is not that we have too many games of one genre, but not enough of other genres. The moment someone does some really succesful game everyone released a similar one.

And Bethesda seems to be always waiting for a market to be clearly established, preferable by a big company, before adopting new genres. Never taking a risk, are we?

Even Blizzard outpaces them consistently. MMO? Check. MOBA? Check. CCG? Check. Team-shooter? Check.

And the last is even a really old genre, with the original TF being a Quake mod. So they' been sitting on the IP that spawned the first of this kind of games for 7 years before finally announcing it, shortly after Overwatch proved to be a success.

Now they finally jump onto the CCG bandwagon, even allowing CD Project Red to get one in before, even though they had to build the whole franchise in about the same time Bethesda was simply sitting on this really popular and well known IP and doing nothing.

I think if critic is the worst they have to suffer from this behaviour it's already more than generous.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    ^words....words..../sleep

Another card game? Srsly?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Anireth said:
    Just because Blizzard doesn't have a monopoly on card games doesn't mean that it's unfair to criticize them for doing a card game. They clearly *are* jumping on the bandwagon. Same as with the new Quake thingy even. The moment Overwatch sells really well and is popular, Bethesda reveal a Quake based team/class FPS. Sure, they probably worked on that for a while already, but i doubt we would have heard of it if Overwatch had struggled.

Also, the problem is not that we have too many games of one genre, but not enough of other genres. The moment someone does some really succesful game everyone released a similar one.

And Bethesda seems to be always waiting for a market to be clearly established, preferable by a big company, before adopting new genres. Never taking a risk, are we?

Even Blizzard outpaces them consistently. MMO? Check. MOBA? Check. CCG? Check. Team-shooter? Check.

And the last is even a really old genre, with the original TF being a Quake mod. So they' been sitting on the IP that spawned the first of this kind of games for 7 years before finally announcing it, shortly after Overwatch proved to be a success.

Now they finally jump onto the CCG bandwagon, even allowing CD Project Red to get one in before, even though they had to build the whole franchise in about the same time Bethesda was simply sitting on this really popular and well known IP and doing nothing.

I think if critic is the worst they have to suffer from this behaviour it's already more than generous.
    To be fair MOBAs spawned from Warcraft 3 and it took Blizzard how many years to get around to jumping into that market? 

Speaking of Bethesda copying popular genres, I could really go for an Elder Scrolls or Fallout ARPG. 
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    WHY does every friggin new CCG have cards that look like MTG clones.
    IS there No originality left in game development?
    Any CCG but HEarthstone is a good CCG.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I remember when Magic came out that was pretty cool. Then they invented MMO's and I never saw the reason to play with cards again
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Volgore said:
    Once there was a time when diversity was welcome and people liked it when a genre became more popular and expanded.

Nowadays when a company makes a mmorpg: "Don't we have enough mmorpgs already?"
    A company makes a card game: "The last thing we need is another card game".
    -What happened??

Sometimes a genre has 10 titles and still not the right one for some people.
    That's why i'm looking forward to this and hope that it has a more gritty, serious touch to it than the title it's about to compete with. If so, then it may be just the cardgame for me.
    Simple example of why more choices can be a good thing to some players.
    Well the reason is because nobody is doing it better or with more effort,instead it looks like devs just jump on the bandwagon of everything that is popular.

I would think everyone would like a "new addition" to a genre but ONLY if it is done really well,that is why you hear the phrase "bah another clone" so often.

MTG is the godfather of card games and NOBODY has done it as complete or as well as MTG.The one game i thought could turn the corner was Duelyst,they introduced us to an actual USABLE board unlike every other rendition of a card game with static boards.This game seems to be using "lanes" however it still seems like a rushed product and nothing more than a fast copycat game using TES lore.

To me a card game won't be really good or complete until we get some playable boards/maps utilizing cards and utilizing more than a single player.We should be seeing types of damage and types of resistance,instead we see shallow game designs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Its easy money for them.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453
    Unfortunately this game has the hearthstone RNG problem, cards that add random cards to the hand, creatures that check the color of the top card of your deck to gain stats or abilities, effects that give everything random keywords and many prophecy cards like mummify which can cause huge tempo swings if they are activated off a rune.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016

SEANMCAD said:

zinnikeys said:

Wow. That was... lame.

agreed

agreed.

And when something is "easy" to do there will be many games offering alternatives. And - MTG aside - they are all feeding off pretty much the same basic audience.

Talisman - the board game - was actually out before MTG as well; does it count as a card game I wonder? And it took that about 30+ years to make the shift.