Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darian Vorlick leaving CIG

124»

Comments

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Babuinix said:
    jcrg99 said:
    Lets be honest does anyone care? I don't, so some guy at a game co left who cares, people changes jobs all the time

There is a uncommon number of leaders who left this project since it started. That and the fact that the game has been constantly delayed and show no signs of ever delivering into their promises raise many red flags and make it a "no go" for anyone willing to put money on this.
    Besides, we had many of ex-employees that went on record to reveal serious issues with the development, usually involving CR/Sandi's behavior.
    There are many red signs to this project, and not caring about them is not something too much smart.

Regardless how the environment is, or the reasons for this guy to leave, the fact stays that with so many leaders leaving a project constantly, it becomes very difficult for the project as a whole to advance as it should. The major impact is that the project keeps changing its direction, as new guys bring "better" ideas (quotes in purpose). It can become a never-ending of stuff been remade again and again, which, in the end of the day, only helps the financial purposes of the bosses (because keep the ship-jpeg sales going on for longer), but neither the company's reputation/future nor the game itself.
    There is only one Leader in this project, that is Chris Roberts. Darian was one of the many Producers. He will be missed, but no one is irreplaceable, not even Chris Roberts.
    Actually I think that the real leader is Sandi Gardiner.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Well at least they have the Art Mural on the wall and a futuristic door to go thru on the way out.

I love that door.  I want one.  Maybe I'll make one. :awesome:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited July 2016
    jcrg99 said:
    Lets be honest does anyone care? I don't, so some guy at a game co left who cares, people changes jobs all the time

There is a uncommon number of leaders who left this project since it started.

--> incorrect. Number below average compared to industry standard. Overall employment duration at CIG higher than industry average (check Linkedin for numbers). 2-3.5 year terms are neither common nor standard in the video game or computer industry.

That and the fact that the game has been constantly delayed

--> Delays have happened and have been expected by most backers and journalists.

and show no signs of ever delivering

--> Incorrect. Regular updates being delivered. 

into their promises raise many red flags and make it a "no go" for anyone willing to put money on this.

--> Except for many hundredthousands of backers that HAVE put money into this. And the 1.4 million Star Citizen fans that registered on the official homepage. 

Besides, we had many

--> very few (5-7, out of several hundred), all of them anonymous (so some maybe fake, because unnamed door cards are not proof for having been a CIG employee), no follow up to their accusations (most likely because it was slander and not fact)

of ex-employees that went on record to reveal serious issues with the development, usually involving CR/Sandi's behavior.
    There are many red signs to this project, and not caring about them is not something too much smart.

--> Ahhh, smart ... there is entirely too much smart ;-) in the anti-SC movement 

Regardless how the environment is, or the reasons for this guy to leave, the fact stays that with so many leaders leaving a project constantly,

--> which were not many. And almost all of them left on good terms and praised the project (with the exception of a guy working on the character pipeline, and his remarks were made public against his wish)

it becomes very difficult for the project as a whole to advance as it should.

--> Except that it DOES advance --> every backer can test the Alpha and regular patches update the Alpha

The major impact is that the project keeps changing its direction,

--> Nope. Follows the outline set down by Erin Roberts about a year ago. 

as new guys bring "better" ideas (quotes in purpose).

--> Which new guys ? And which "better" ideas ? 

It can become a never-ending of stuff been remade again and again,

--> Its called iterative development and thats industry standard. Read Sid Meiers notes on that ... recommended reading.

which, in the end of the day, only helps the financial purposes of the bosses

--> Speculation. No facts. As usual. 

(because keep the ship-jpeg sales going on for longer), but neither the company's reputation/future nor the game itself.
    --> Have fun 

--> PS:
    "No longer mere earthbeings and planetbeings are we, but bright children of the stars! And together we shall dance in and out of ten billion years, celebrating the gift of consciousness until the stars themselves grow cold and weary, and our thoughts turn again to the beginning." (Sid Meier)

edited July 2016
    I said, there is an uncommon number of LEADERS who left CIG. That is not the pattern of the industry.

The regular updates are a joke, considering what they did after all this time and what they still have to do. Next delayed patch... uhu... clothes... can't wait.

Your many millions of backers putting money on Star Citizen is speculation, based on a counter that is well-know as been manipulated by the own backers of the project, and even that it was not, do not demonstrate how many backers (individuals) they really have. That has been used, actually as a lame tentative to claim that things that they do are well-accepted and they are in the right path, with the exact purpose of making the whales to spend more. That was discussed and evidences were presented before, so I am not going to repeat myself. In any case, your speak is speculation and you have no real data to prove your claims. So, both trues are possible here.

While you tried to claim that the sources were anonimous, their accusations of the bad behavior and bad leader that CR is has been proved again and again by the own CEO attitude and speech, promises vs. results. HE actually demonstrated how bad is his behavior in the own letter that he sent to one of the press articles which reported that. And in other, his answers did not satisfy anyone except his ego, and just revealed that those accusations about how bad leader he is, were true and valid.

Any project advances, obviously. IF they were stuck, they wouldn't have ways to convince neither the whales and a few new deceived customers that they got eventually. So, they do something, but that barely means advance and most of the backers proves that dislike that, by never playing the game or watching their videos or participating of the development. Which Roberts told that was the answer, that invalidated scope creep. Well.. it did not work for the satisfaction of the majority of the public, since they stay away and a lot are asking refunds. To the point of making the company to change their TOS to avoid losing all their money. A big attitude for someone who are not really getting so many refund requests as he claimed in the past. Besides, removing the accountability of the deal, proving that neither himself trust that can release the promised product.

Any new leader will bring new ideas that has a larger impact than a new trainee. That is pretty obvious. Specially when the CEO, loves new ideas that will make the project take longer in development, so the ship sales do not need to be stopped, or suffering a major competition of the in-game acquisition.

No. It's not called iterative development... It's bullshit and bad management, lack of focus, bad development, excuses to make it take longer. Period.

Have Fun (except that most of the backers are not having and won't in any time soon, and I dare to say... never... with Star Citizen)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    How does his personal life decisions fall under a NDA and not be negative?

The business and SC itself does not fall under any NDA,only the game copyright would,so he is leaving for game reasons which most certainly sounds negative.
    Using the NDA argument allows him to escape the truth and not burn bridges for future employment.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I look to the future,just imagine the stuff that comes out a couple years from now,people will be shaking their heads but Chris will already be an even bigger millionaire.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited July 2016
    jcrg99 said:
    Babuinix said:
    jcrg99 said:

There is a uncommon number of leaders who left this project since it started. That and the fact that the game has been constantly delayed and show no signs of ever delivering into their promises raise many red flags and make it a "no go" for anyone willing to put money on this.
    Besides, we had many of ex-employees that went on record to reveal serious issues with the development, usually involving CR/Sandi's behavior.

Regardless how the environment is, or the reasons for this guy to leave, the fact stays that with so many leaders leaving a project constantly, it becomes very difficult for the project as a whole to advance as it should. The major impact is that the project keeps changing its direction, as new guys bring "better" ideas (quotes in purpose). It can become a never-ending of stuff been remade again and again, which, in the end of the day, only helps the financial purposes of the bosses (because keep the ship-jpeg sales going on for longer), but neither the company's reputation/future nor the game itself.
    There is only one Leader in this project, that is Chris Roberts. Darian was one of the many Producers. He will be missed, but no one is irreplaceable, not even Chris Roberts.
    She's the Leader of Marketing Development & Strategy yes, one of the major factors in the amazing success of the crowd-funding campaign. We are fortunate to have her on board.

Darian last interview as CIG staff:

edited July 2016
    Babuinix said:
    jcrg99 said:
    Babuinix said:
    jcrg99 said:

She's the Leader of Marketing Development & Strategy yes, one of the major factors in the amazing success of the crowd-funding campaign. We are fortunate to have her on board.

Darian last interview as CIG staff:

Hi Sandi. I know that is you for a while now ;)
    Interesting choice of user name by the way.
    Rofl yeah ofc it's me Sandi! What else would I do with my time if it wasn't engaging in forums with armchair developers. Time well spent hahaha
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Babuinix said:
    Rofl yeah ofc it's me Sandi! What else would I do with my time if it wasn't engaging in forums with armchair developers. Time well spent hahaha
    Sandi, you should stop meeting Tufao like this ..... ;-)

Have fun
    edited July 2016
    I already told him I'm happily married with Chris but he keeps sending me creepy emails
    /s
    Babuinix said:
    I already told him I'm happily married with Chris but he keeps sending me creepy emails
    /s
    Nice try Sandi. But you are not my type.
    edited July 2016
    Whatever you say Manzes, Jean whatever your alt is this time lol
    Babuinix said:
    Enciclopedia Dramatica... it couldn't exist more legit and trustworthy source lol

You surprise me every day Sandi.
    You too Jean, you keep raising the bar to the ultimate lvl, I think I'll ask the lore guys to put you ingame. Your story has a lot of potential lol
    edited July 2016
    Babuinix said:
    You too Jean, you keep raising the bar to the ultimate lvl, I think I'll ask the lore guys to put you ingame. Your story has a lot of potential lol
    I agree. But unfortunately won't be in the game because the game will never exist, except by these pathetic tech demos that you keep releasing. Maybe I could write a book, to tell my part... because the story about the scandal to be revealed involving the Star Citizen development certainly will sell very well.
    Even you will be surprised and say: "How the hell they uncovered that?"
    Will be fun. Don't miss. Will happen in the right time
    ;)

P.S: Please. Stop to scream with your employees. That is making everything a lot easier for those paying attention ;)
    I think Derek already has the exclusive rights to that story, maybe you can branch your "knowledge" LOL
    Babuinix said:
    I think Derek already has the exclusive rights to that story, maybe you can branch your "knowledge" LOL
    No worries. That's the thing with honest people. They don't care who gets credits, as long as the deceivers pay for their deception. I am not like you, which have the celebrity complex always clouding your mind.
    Hahah "honest" and Derek in the same context ...
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Sandi and Chris really deserve one another, from all appearances.....

And I suspect a number of folks are already writing books about this, just waiting for the inevitable  public disaster to publish.  Certainly there are enough ex-employees to get the straight dope from.  Maybe CiG can put them off by releasing some lackluster minimum viable product, but even that's dicey.  'Cause the rot starts at the top.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Le mandatory 90 days for the "inevitable public disaster" , give or take.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Babuinix said:

Oh lord no, they're making too much money selling fantasies.   I'm sure they'd love to just spin more tales of wonderment to new waves of whales.  Of course they are painting themselves into a corner with these continual missed deadlines.   They have to release Squadron 42 at some point.  Erin is probably tearing his hair out trying to get it ready for a(nother) delayed release in 2017.  I just wonder how buggy that will be. 

You know, Chris Roberts never released a single game done in-house at Digital Anvil, in over four years of work.  Where did all that money go?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Babuinix said:

Oh lord no, they're making too much money selling fantasies.   I'm sure they'd love to just spin more tales of wonderment to new waves of whales.  Of course they are painting themselves into a corner with these continual missed deadlines.   They have to release Squadron 42 at some point.  Erin is probably tearing his hair out trying to get it ready for a(nother) delayed release in 2017.  I just wonder how buggy that will be. 

You know, Chris Roberts never released a single game done in-house at Digital Anvil, in over four years of work.  Where did all that money go?

What money?
  • OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    edited July 2016
    hey, where did my awesome posts go!

:)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root