Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall New Dawn Beta (InDev) has begun

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Cecropia said:
    Nobody has ever tried this before, launching TWO different versions of the same game simultaneously !

We're about to see why nobody has ever tried to do this before...
    They're going to be two very different games; do just a teeny weeny bit of research then flap your lips. 

We've got people in this thread even talking about bloodwalls for Christ sakes, lol. Talk about being completely clueless. 
    Yup, like I said: "TWO different versions of the same game".

The degree of difference is really immaterial, unless they decide to remove PVP from one version, lol
    To me the differences are significant enough that I will likely only try the one.   If they seem the same to you then the game likely never had that great of an appeal to you to start.  I enjoyed the game but hated a few things that seem to be getting addressed. 

Of course it is a monumental task that might not work but I'll try it out.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Aethaeryn said:
    Cecropia said:
    Nobody has ever tried this before, launching TWO different versions of the same game simultaneously !

They're going to be two very different games; do just a teeny weeny bit of research then flap your lips. 

We've got people in this thread even talking about bloodwalls for Christ sakes, lol. Talk about being completely clueless. 
    Yup, like I said: "TWO different versions of the same game".

The degree of difference is really immaterial, unless they decide to remove PVP from one version, lol
    Of course it is a monumental task that might not work but I'll try it out.
    If I could log in. . . 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701

Indeed. I mean the original never really worked, how on earth is this going to...Especially when there are now two version of the same game fighting for what will likely be the same player base.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It's a shame they didn't just hand over UW for one of these companies to work on.  Logging in to Darkfall feels like a big step backwards, despite what some may say.
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    edited July 2016
    Aethaeryn said:
    Edit. . never mind. . downloading now :)
    keep in mind they haven't done many changes yet besides some stuff to the GUI and hotbars, but I'm excited at the pace they have been going at and what's to come in the next few weeks.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "(new dawn is currently set at x10 exp gains and there is a meditation system where you use quest rewards to level things like your stats or spells while on or offline kind of like eve)"

Hmm, ok ok.  That sounds pretty good.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited July 2016
    Cecropia said:

Mind explaining why you think there won't be bloodwalls or skill botting in this or the other Darkfall?

I did like a lot of things about Darkfall but I'm not seeing them address this issue I found most annoying, like I said.
    You skill up with PvE now. I don't know if diminishing returns and stuff are all in place, but you won't be able to skill up botting.

Like @ubermut said, they've made it easier to skill early on to help your character become viable. The increase rates (x10) is for testing purposes, but the new curve and meditation system both help new players and non-hardcore progress their character.

They're also adding an alignment system to discourage random ganking between players of the same race or faction. It actually hurts your ability to progress your character if you're killing friendlies. You need your reputation to do quests and gain points to train.

Anyone that is familiar with Darkfall will actually see that New Dawn is a very different game... at least when its done.

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I honestly just thought they were just doing business as usual from original Dark Fall. Some of the changes you mentioned Dullahan sound interesting and I honestly just wrote this one off. This does sound pretty good though.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    just wait till the people who played the AV DF start playing fav's and giving/duping items since some of the teams on both remakes have had issues with not playing by the eula in the past.....why would they not abuse it again in a higher position? Both remakes will fail just like DF....its the game mechanics and ganking 6v1 that piss people off and the non stop grind from hell......GL to both I'm not holding my breath nor would I be anymore willing to give AV my money let alone the two remakes.....It will be the same people 100 people after the 1st year tops

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Grimula said:

I really think these 2 New darkfall games are only going to Confuse the majority of players, who will not understand which version to buy, or what is even the difference between the 2 games

Very confusing having 2 darkfall games being released at same time

I Predict both games  will fail because the majority of players wont be able to decide which version of darkfall to buy

I really want to play darkfall again  but I am in the majority of players who are Confused

Confused over which version to buy, which leads to buying None of the version because people wont be able to decide which version will last longer ect ect

I'm not sure confused is the right word, but it will definitely split a relatively small pool of players.  Also, if they pick on that didn't meet expectations, it will probably sour the experience for trying the other one.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    definitely will be interesting to watch as I've never heard of this being done before.  
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited July 2016
    just wait till the people who played the AV DF start playing fav's and giving/duping items since some of the teams on both remakes have had issues with not playing by the eula in the past.....why would they not abuse it again in a higher position? Both remakes will fail just like DF....its the game mechanics and ganking 6v1 that piss people off and the non stop grind from hell......GL to both I'm not holding my breath nor would I be anymore willing to give AV my money let alone the two remakes.....It will be the same people 100 people after the 1st year tops
    The problem is that there is nothing out there like it.  

I just logged in to DF after having only played DFUW.  Both of the DF devs are gonna have their hands full.  DFUW ended in a much more playable, polished, better looking state.  I really hope they can improve the gfx in this game, it is much rougher than I anticipated.  I hope the nuances that DF had over DFUW are going to be enough to overlook the extremely dated gfx, no territory control, terrible in game map, bad UI, no prowess system, no restrictions bind 80 hotkeys because everyone is everything all the time...and on and on.  I may still try to support this, to an extent...until someone buys DFUW or this falls on it's face.
  • mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    That's "two" much PVE.

edited July 2016
    Mardukk said:
    The problem is that there is nothing out there like it.  

I just logged in to DF after having only played DFUW.  Both of the DF devs are gonna have their hands full.  DFUW ended in a much more playable, polished, better looking state.  I really hope they can improve the gfx in this game, it is much rougher than I anticipated.  I hope the nuances that DF had over DFUW are going to be enough to overlook the extremely dated gfx, no territory control, terrible in game map, bad UI, no prowess system, no restrictions bind 80 hotkeys because everyone is everything all the time...and on and on.  I may still try to support this, to an extent...until someone buys DFUW or this falls on it's face.
    The super hybrid builds will still be technically available, but the title system will give more power to a smaller set of abilities.

I know Darkfall players hate the c word (class), but titles allow you to essentially build your own class (without locking you out). Imo, the title system is much better than the prowess system. By selecting certain titles you effectively become stronger at a subset of abilities, but weaker with others. If you want to be the jack of all skills using 80 hotkeys, its there, but the guy who selected titles to boost all magic and say fire, is going to bbq you. He just won't be able to do much else...

They also have proposed a much improved territory control system with the use of towers. I didn't play the original game long so I'm not that acquainted with the original system, but now you can expand your territory with towers and those territories within range of the towers will be taxed as subjects of that empire.

Again, both of those things are in development and not currently available.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Total noob here, first question was "How do I attack stuff?" so you might understand how much I know about playing DF:ND.

While this is a PvP game so far my impression is that it is far to friendly for full loot PvP game. I asked a bunch of stupid questions in chat and each was answered by at least 2 people. Some even pointed me to a youtube video although I had no idea how to copy past things from the chat. After they took a few minutes to explain it, in detail because...duh! I am a newb! I was able to find the video and it actually  wasnt a Rick roll one.

So far which is rather a short time I like the game and community. I can dodge spells or at least I think I can, maybe there is a passive ability that doges them for me *shrug* and I learned how to cast spells, loot and even found an NPC for my class.

So from a noob point of view, the community makes up for the lack of tutorials and if that keeps up then I assume the PvP will be fun as well aka grouping with pugs or sharing tactics.
    edited July 2016
    To attack something, you equip a weapon and then wield it by pressing R I believe by default. New Dawn has added a new "Weapon Bar" where you want to put your weapons and stave as well as tools. Using Alt + 1-6 you can auto equip the weapon and it will switch to a unique hotbar for that specific weapon. To activate the weapon  you're holding press left mouse.

New Dawn has a pretty good community. The people supporting this game isn't just the hardcore PvP players, but people who want to see a more vibrant sandbox community. The goal is to have an environment where crafters and all different player types can find a niche in the world. It makes for a nicer community.
    Post edited by Dullahan on

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I don't see them addressing the thing that bugged me most about the game.  "Leveling up" skills just meant casting them over and over, resulting in people just botting.  If you didn't bot, you were forced to just stupidly cast things a billion times for no reason other then to level skills, and you were always behind those that did bot.

This should be listed as a primary issue.  The closest they have is decreasing the power gap, but that's just going to mean that those that bot skills are not going to be quite as more powerful than you as they were in original Darkfall.
    Typing this all out as you're "bot" leveling your horse levels in BDO? or maybe have a pack on autopathing AFK to level up that carry weight? Pot meet Kettle.
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    edited July 2016
    Its a pretty good start. The new default keybinding+weapon bar is main addition so far.

I remember redownloading darkfall for free weekend in 2011 or something and just instantly uninstalled because I had default keybindings and the effort to resetup and get macros was just too much.

Whereas you can pretty much play with default keybinds now in new dawn. I don't see need for any macros although I'm not playing super ssrsly.

My blog: image

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    edited July 2016
    Dullahan said:
    They are pretty different games, and both are up front about what they intend to offer.

Rise of Agon wants to offer a classic Darkfall experience with minimal changes.

New Dawn wants to overhaul the game and fix the major flaws making it more appealing to a broader audience.

Rise of Agon will probably attract the hardcore arena pvp fans. If New Dawn delivers, its likely to attract at least some of the other 95% of players that left and believe Darkfall didn't live up to its potential.
    So... one game will end up with half a person, and the other game 9.5 people? How gruesome for the poor soul torn apart by your math. I pity his family.

... oh, you think more than 10 people are interested in Darkfall? I respectfully disagree.
    Dullahan said:
    They are pretty different games, and both are up front about what they intend to offer.

New Dawn wants to overhaul the game and fix the major flaws making it more appealing to a broader audience.

Rise of Agon will probably attract the hardcore arena pvp fans. If New Dawn delivers, its likely to attract at least some of the other 95% of players that left and believe Darkfall didn't live up to its potential.
    So... one game will end up with half a person, and the other game 9.5 people? How gruesome for the poor soul torn apart by your math. I pity his family.

... oh, you think more than 10 people are interested in Darkfall? I respectfully disagree.
    They have almost 2000 unique players in the New Dawn beta right now. Considering the big changes they are bringing are not yet in place, that is pretty good.

You may not know but Darkfall actually originally sold around 200k boxes.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I downloaded the client and loaded it up...  However, it crashes to a black screen approximately two seconds after the game world loads up.  Reinstalling had no effect.

Oh well.  :(

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Dullahan said:

And you couldn't be more wrong. There is a huge contingent of people who want a hardcore pvp sandbox MMO. It won't have the flashy 1 million player launch like all the shitty themepark games, but it's not supposed to.
  • IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Dullahan said:

And you couldn't be more wrong. There is a huge contingent of people who want a hardcore pvp sandbox MMO. It won't have the flashy 1 million player launch like all the shitty themepark games, but it's not supposed to.
    Exactly, but these same kids crying that all the mmo's out are the same or to easy ect. Still sit and bitch about Darkfall when it is the ONLY different game on the market that is actually challenging.

So idk what these people want and i really dont think they do either.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Dullahan said:

If, by huge, you mean 5-10K players who're willing to put up with awful PvE and aren't going to ragequit when they're ganked endlessly - then you could be right :)
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    DKLond said:
    Dullahan said:

If, by huge, you mean 5-10K players who're willing to put up with awful PvE and aren't going to ragequit when they're ganked endlessly - then you could be right :)
    Your reading of the tea leaves is way off. One only has to look at the complete and utter failure of themepark MMOs, mixed with the surge of hardcore pvp survival games to see that there is a lot of interest in games like Darkfall. It certainly has its problems, but the genre/type of game it is won't be a problem.