Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    The game alredy won, it has a bigger fan-base than any other space game and as made more money without even releasing. It's the defenition of a success game development story.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited July 2016
    Oh come on, this sucky sucky behaviour is ridiculous. They have sold just over 1 million ships, probably indicative of 650,000 - 800,000 backers.

Elite has sold well over 1,500,000 copies at last count.

EVE, a 13 year old game, has a solid 450,000+ subscriber base paying $6,750,000 a month or $81,000,000 a year. How do CIG compare?

Perhaps you'd like to review the facts and tell everybody again who has the "bigger fan base".
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

--> Source please. Frontier yearly report for stock exchange gives a much smaller number.

--> Have fun 
    edited July 2016
    Erillion said:

--> Source please. Frontier yearly report for stock exchange gives a much smaller number.

--> Have fun 

No it doesn't, see the trading update as of 27 April this year:

Total unit sales of Elite:Dangerous franchise products now exceeds 1.5 million, in line with the Board's expectations given the point in the release cycle.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/exchange-insight/company-news.html?fourWayKey=GB00BBT32N39GBGBXASQ1

Post edited by rpmcmurphy on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Babuinix said:
    The game alredy won, it has a bigger fan-base than any other space game and as made more money without even releasing. It's the defenition of a success game development story.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Should do a timelapse from a little girl to the woman today.
    Erillion said:

--> Have fun 

No it doesn't, stop making shit up.

Trading update as of 27 April this year:

Total unit sales of Elite:Dangerous franchise products now exceeds 1.5 million, in line with the Board's expectations given the point in the release cycle.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/exchange-insight/company-news.html?fourWayKey=GB00BBT32N39GBGBXASQ1

Thank you for the source for the new number. 

>>> Stop making shit up >>>
    Well, my source was the most recent yearly report that is downloadable from the official Frontier Developments homepage:

http://www.frontier.co.uk/docs/files/Frontier Developments Annual Report 2015.pdf

If you consider that "shit" ... weeeeelllll ..... 

Have fun 
    edited July 2016
    A report from over 9 months ago. Not so relevant when we're talking about current numbers in a fast market.

Edit: My reaction to your comment was too harsh Erillion, I apologise for that and will edit my to post to reflect.

When I see people (this is not referring to you) taking something and blowing it up beyond all rationality and reasonability it starts pissing me off because one of the main tenets for this game was to get away from the lies and hype that is prevalent in the industry.
    I'm sure everybody would much prefer to deal with facts and let the game(s) speak for themselves.
    edited July 2016
    A report from over 9 months ago. Hardly relevant when we're talking about current numbers in a fast market.
    That is why I asked politely ("..please..") for a source for your information.

Have fun

PS:
    High number of sold copies of E:D is GOOD NEWS for me. I have been an Elite fan ever since 1984 and of course play E:D myself.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    Question:

"Total unit sales of Elite:Dangerous franchise products now exceeds 1.5 million, in line with the Board's expectations given the point in the release cycle."

What is a franchise product?

I suspect it is not the same as a copy of the game. Is it a count of game copies + ships + whatever else? Curious. 

(I have nothing against ED btw and wish it - and other games well - but it seems a vague term.)
    edited July 2016
    I'm not honestly sure, I assume it refers to the game and the CQC standalone across the 3 platforms they are released on.

Bear in mind that as they are a publicly traded company they cannot play fast and loose with definitions in an attempt to pump their product as being more successful than it really is, especially in trading updates. That would be classed fraudulent behaviour.
  • jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    edited July 2016
    Bear in mind that as they are a publicly traded company they cannot play fast and loose with definitions in an attempt to pump their product as being more successful than it really is.
    You described CIG here.
    Star Citizen is the defenition of a successful crowdfunded project because it got all the money needed to get the thing going, and some more B)
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    Star Citizen is the defenition of a successful crowdfunded project because it got all the money needed to get the thing going, and some more B)
    I can agree with that statement but having a successful crowdfunding campaign behind you doesn't mean you are in any way, shape or form competent to finish the game.
    edited July 2016
    Well I'm certainly not competent in any shape or form to finish a game. But the hundreds of game developers working on the project certainly are. Between them they have delivered more than 100 multi-award winning games that sold millions and millions of copies. That's were the trust goes, not armchair devs or washed up devs for that matter.

Babuinix said:
    Well I'm certainly not competent in any shape or form to finish a game. But the hundreds of game developers working on the project certainly are. Between them they have delivered more than 100 multi-award winning games that sold millions and millions of copies. That's were the trust goes, not armchair devs or washed up devs for that matter.

It's funny you mention washed up devs and then link a video with Chris Roberts in it
    Yeap amazing how Legendary Game Developers can raise such a following with their visionary games. Talent is a bliss.
    edited July 2016
    Babuinix said:
    Yeap amazing how Legendary Game Developers can raise such a following with their visionary games. Ignorance is bliss.
    FTFY
    edited July 2016
    You misspelt talent, it should be i-g-n-o-r-a-n-c-e
    Wrong again.

Its spelled H-A-L-L-O-F-F-A-M-E-D-E-V-E-L-O-P-E-R-S

There are not many developers that get a Lifetime Achievement Award at GDC (Game Designers Conference) from their peers. 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Wrong again.

There are not many developers that get a Lifetime Achievement Award at GDC (Game Designers Conference) from their peers. 

Have fun
    Why are we mentioned the Lifetime Achievement awards again in a SC thread?
    edited July 2016
    Erillion said:
    Wrong again.

Have fun

Wrong again? Really?

Anyhow, who exactly are you talking about here? I see Braben and Elite mention in those awards but no mention of Roberts or his Wing Commander games... :D

When I said ignorance I was referring to people believing that just having a bunch of names involved in your project implies a better quality game. It doesn't, just as having a movie with well known actors does not equal a better quality movie.
    It all depends on management, directing, the script etc.
    edited July 2016
    According to his Twitter account Mark Hamill is back shooting performance capture scenes for Squadron 42. And he is not resting much it seems ;-)

https://twitter.com/hamillhimself

"Such jobs stress-Back 2 work on #StarCitizenSquadron42 today w/out a day off Someone has to guard the universe!#Whew"

https://twitter.com/hashtag/StarCitizenSquadron42?src=hash

Have fun

Erillion said:
    According to his Twitter account Mark Hamill is back shooting performance capture scenes for Squadron 42. And he is not resting much it seems ;-)

https://twitter.com/hamillhimself

"Such jobs stress-Back 2 work on #StarCitizenSquadron42 today w/out a day off Someone has to guard the universe!#Whew"

https://twitter.com/hashtag/StarCitizenSquadron42?src=hash

Have fun

I thought they were done all the mo-cap already. They redoing it all again?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    I'm not honestly sure, I assume it refers to the game and the CQC standalone across the 3 platforms they are released on.

Bear in mind that as they are a publicly traded company they cannot play fast and loose with definitions in an attempt to pump their product as being more successful than it really is, especially in trading updates. That would be classed fraudulent behaviour.
    As you say they cannot play fast and loose but its such an odd phrase imo - and (sadly) you (should) get used to not assuming what is not said by Activision Blizzard, EA etc. What is said and no more.

For if it is 1.5M copies of "the game" sold that is huge and should be shouted from roof tops. I'm not so sure it is though. (By all accounts ED is doing OK though).

Edit: Based on what Babuinix says below though it looks like it is "stuff in general" rather than copies  of the game.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    ED is dying. from 20k player base their on 4k now, their all time low, Powerplay was a bust, so was Engineers, Horizons a shadow of could have been. ED was rushed into release because the funding was low, they cut the offline mode to mitigate losses in sales by preventing "piracy". They are now reaping the "benefits" of releasing so early, a premature death and loss of confidence by their player base. This is without any space game to compete against lol. Imagine when true competition comes into play? They will be obliterated. In Peace may rest their commanders soul.