Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online Videos: MMOFTW - Black Deserts Very Bad Week

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2016 in Videos Discussion

Read the full story here

This week is all about Black Deserts bad week of patching, Shards Online's Steam Greenlight, ESO's new DLC announcement, SWTOR's big Dark vs. Light event, and more. Watch and learn!
Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWTOR=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords=story line=fight the hords...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    edited June 2016
    SWTOR is awful, I'm sorry.

I played it at launch for three months, and went back and leveled another character to the cap about a year ago. I regret both instances. The game is like an unfinished painting - incomplete, and massively disappointing for what might have been. Moreover, it's frustrating that myself and many other beta/alpha testers were absolutely screaming at Bioware from a very early stage that they were cooking up a enormous failure, and everyone working there just "knew better."

Well, I guess they didn't.
  • faidedfaided Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Sorry to have to inform you of this Bill, the cool-down hacks have not been fixed. Were they patched? Yes they were, and those which created the hacks have already created a work-around.
  • KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I been playing SWTOR for the past 5 months and having a blast. Its probably just where I am in life right now, but the game feels right to me - plenty of solo content, lots of optional group content to get the MMO feeling, really digging all the chapter releases, altoholic friendly too. The new event is gonna be huge, great place to start afresh again if your a returning/new player.

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Leaving aside the debate about whether it was a "very bad week" for BDO, node wars and seiges look great. I got 2 more pets yesterday so I can grind my ass off and get caught up so I can start participating.

Still no elephants yet, though. :(
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Did node wars with my guild, so much fun. Can't wait for t to be patched in for real. Love BDO. Can see my self playing for years to come.reminds me of the more old school games.

edited June 2016

Mad+Dog said:

Did node wars with my guild, so much fun. Can't wait for t to be patched in for real. Love BDO. Can see my self playing for years to come.reminds me of the more old school games.

Pff... what? What old school games would those be?

Don't say EQ, because it's nothing like EQ.

Don't say UO, because it's nothing like UO.

Certainly don't say SWG, because it has NOTHING in common with SWG.

See, the one distinguishing element that the above three titles had in common (well, SWG until the combat upgrade) is that they weren't garbage. And BDO... is pretty much the definition of a trash release. So, I'm glad you're enjoying it and all, but let's not insult the hallowed greats of old by dragging them down to the level of Black Desert.
    edited June 2016

Pff... what? What old school games would those be?

Don't say EQ, because it's nothing like EQ.

Thankfully not!

Don't say UO, because it's nothing like UO.

Certainly don't say SWG, because it has NOTHING in common with SWG.
    This just shows that you know nothing about BDO and are just bashing for the sake of bashing. BDO has elements from both games, some implemented better than in the original.

See, the one distinguishing element that the above three titles had in common (well, SWG until the combat upgrade) is that they weren't garbage. And BDO... is pretty much the definition of a trash release. So, I'm glad you're enjoying it and all, but let's not insult the hallowed greats of old by dragging them down to the level of Black Desert.
    There you go, you just prove my previous point at the end of your post.
    I think you're the one who's confused, dear.

BDO is a themepark without rides - there is none of UO or SWG's gleaming, majestic sand to play in. The hallmark of both those old sandboxes was that a player could actually shape the world in meaningful ways - building houses, fortresses, towns, all of which (in the case of SWG) were destructible. They could also craft meaningful gear, the best of which was highly coveted. This gave players a reason to head out into the world - both to crush their enemies, and to harvest precious materials to keep the economy humming. Moreover, PvP had extra meaning because of the value of time-invested by the players who owned and defended their homesteads, the loss of which would set them back to square one.

By contrast, Black Desert is a lovely looking overworld utterly devoid of any and all complexity or intrinsic value (I mean, Jesus Christ, if you walk 50 feet off the road, the monsters even vanish - it's like Daum was too lazy to set up spawn points, and why would you lure people off the beaten path and towards "unknown adventure" when none actually awaited them? It's game designer nihilism). Not only are players NOT trusted with the keys to the kingdom, they aren't even valued enough to be spoon-fed a derivative WoW-clone PVE experience. It really is the worst of all worlds - a "sandbox" where every open door is shuttered with a "GO AWAY, MARSHAL LAW" sign hanging in the window. 

However, never let it be said that I failed to assign credit where it is due. You did correctly interpret one element of my post: I was indeed dropping my trousers to squat over your beloved game. That's what happens, you see, when I spot a toilet.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited June 2016
    I decided to go ahead and get Black Desert Online.  I am just getting into the game and I think it does have some great systems and comparable to UO. Enjoying it so far.

I think I might actually look into this seiging thing it looks like fun.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    DMKano said:

Leaving aside the debate about whether it was a "very bad week" for BDO, node wars and seiges look great. I got 2 more pets yesterday so I can grind my ass off and get caught up so I can start participating.

Still no elephants yet, though. :(

Umm sieges look great? I guess you missed the memo from Daum about them being stopped after this weekend due to bugs....

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/157

"Unfortunately the two most recent bugs have proven to be problematic, one prevents siege towers from receiving damage while the other prevents guilds from building towers on time. Due to these bugs, following the Region Siege War this Saturday we will be postponing further sieges until we have a patch to correct these problems. "
    They visually look great.  I was referring to the video.

Nope, got the memo.  That works fine for me- I'm only 52 so the more time to grind for me before they really start, the better.
  • gamer2025gamer2025 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    its funny how whenever mmorpg talks about black desert online you see the same naysayers who just bash the game regardless of if they actually have any clue about what they are talking about
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    You, sir, have a differing opinion than mine!

HAVE AT THEE! I will force you to change your opinion to align with mine!

((While, simultaneously, making fun of those that "follow the herd's opinion".))

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• LumiLumiLumiLumi Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I really want to give BDO a go but I keep hearing really mixed things :c