Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP Q&A With Brian Holinka Wraps Up - World of Warcraft News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imagePvP Q&A With Brian Holinka Wraps Up - World of Warcraft News

Today's World of Warcraft live stream Q&A has just wrapped up. The event took place at the Blizzard Campus with Community Manager Josh Allen speaking with Brian Holinka, Senior PvP Designer on WoW. Here are some of the salient points.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Blah blah blah new stuff added old stuff now irrelevant same old same old since burning crusade. 90% of today's players never even see what the world is like outside of the starter zones and whatever zone is supporting the current patch. Put some vanilla servers in and you will get my 15 bucks again. But no, blizzard will follow the same pattern of 15 hrs of content, a new raid and 3 dungeons and more free epicz and push another patch world into oblivion.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    No new battlegrounds, really?
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    What an EPIC FAIL! Anyone who has ever really PvP'd knows that real PvP happens out in the open world. Obviously the PvP talents system addresses holes in the class design. So what exactly are people supposed to do in world PvP? Stand around and suffer or put up with flavor of the month classes or suffer the class imbalances? This is a serious disappointment and let down. World PvP has been apart of WoW since vanilla. Southshore ring a bell? It's sad you do not wish for a fair and balanced system. Honestly I expected better.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

The word 'new' is slowly being removed from Blizzard's vocabulary.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I really want to see blizzard open up the massive world they have created. 12 years of massive development and like previously mentioned, most new players don't see out of the starting area. I really wish blizzard would make the whole world relevant to current content and new players.

Pretty generic response I know. Not relevant to pvp. I never did much pvp, but am now trying out emerald dream rppvp, so I guess I will get a taste of it.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Banegrivm said:
    What an EPIC FAIL! Anyone who has ever really PvP'd knows that real PvP happens out in the open world. Obviously the PvP talents system addresses holes in the class design. So what exactly are people supposed to do in world PvP? Stand around and suffer or put up with flavor of the month classes or suffer the class imbalances? This is a serious disappointment and let down. World PvP has been apart of WoW since vanilla. Southshore ring a bell? It's sad you do not wish for a fair and balanced system. Honestly I expected better.
    World pvp is not popular.  There is no reason to do it other then trolling.  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    they are terrible at making fun new maps! anyways i can't seem to watch the video.. anyone else having the same issue?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

filmoret said:

Banegrivm said:

I love PvP, not because it's trolling, but because I love the rush that comes with it. I love staring someone down and kickin butt and taking names. Clearly you don't PvP and that's cool if that's not your thing, but just because it isn't, don't pretend to speak for everyone else. Some of us love it.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Well, that's a lode of disappointing news to a pvper who was considering going back to WoW for the first time in years with this expansion, me lol. Sounds much like pvp'ers are second rate costumers. I don't want rng boxes, I've become fed up with rng in recent years, no new bg's, no new open world pvp, and no templates open world. What on earth is this huge developer doing with their time when they're only releasing 1 expansion a year?
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Wow has always had terrible open pvp. More like gank fest. But I understand why they never made anything more than a passing attempt at putting in objectives. And besides the pve crowd would cry rivers if they spent that much effort on pvp and not give them more raids for more free epicz.
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Those news sucked WOW
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I'm not buying the expansion. The game is boring. 
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Just gonna attempt to counter some of this negativity, and say that I am hyped for Legion and can't wait.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Banegrivm said:
    Actually reading the article it looks like they are doing something with a zone in open world for the purpose of pvp.  Which is probably a cut/paste ideas from GW2/ESO.  Which I say they are about 5 years too late to that party.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    So when does the expansion after Legion come out?
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    There is such a huge world out there that the players could be given reason to visit again if only Blizzard bothered, which they never do.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited July 2016
    Well they kept trying to make some kind of World PvP, first with Wintergrasp and later with Ashran. Both were massive failures. Just as Garrisons were an sorry attempt at housing system.

I mean what can they possibly do anyway, when Cyrodiil in ESO is already the size of whole Eastern Kingdoms. It was made with World PvP in mind, and I can imagine that took a ton of work.

Besides WoW's engine couldn't possibly support PvP of that scale or quality anyway. When will they finally admit that WoW's PvP is garbage and move on? Not having dynamic PvP is not even the biggest problem, it's the combat system, which has no place in 2016.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Kane72 said:

There is such a huge world out there that the players could be given reason to visit again if only Blizzard bothered, which they never do.

I guess you missed the class order hall campaign? That has missions that can send you all over the old world.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

Banegrivm said:

filmoret said:

Banegrivm said:

I love PvP, not because it's trolling, but because I love the rush that comes with it. I love staring someone down and kickin butt and taking names. Clearly you don't PvP and that's cool if that's not your thing, but just because it isn't, don't pretend to speak for everyone else. Some of us love it.

Yep the rush people get when beating down someone weaker than them, can't compare to helping someone weak to complete and dungeon and get some gear.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited July 2016

Banegrivm said:

filmoret said:

Banegrivm said:

Yep the rush people get when beating down someone weaker than them, can't compare to helping someone weak to complete and dungeon and get some gear.

Speaking as a hardcore pvper, there's very little rush in destroying someone obviously less talented than you in a 1v1. It's when either 1) You destroy multiple enemies in a 1vX situation that you acquire a rush or 2) You defeat an obviously talented opponent in a close and usually long lasting 1v1 that you acquire a rush.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Alomar said:

Banegrivm said:

filmoret said:

Banegrivm said:

Speaking as a hardcore pvper, there's very little rush in destroying someone obviously less talented than you in a 1v1. It's when either 1) You destroy multiple enemies in a 1vX situation that you acquire a rush or 2) You defeat an obviously talented opponent in a close and usually long lasting 1v1 that you acquire a rush.
    Heard and read all about this so many times yet all i see in owpvp is strong players ganging up on weaker ones. Forget about all else, just remember the tarren mill pvp in vanilal warcraft, everybody remembers it so fondly yet tarren mill was a level 30+ questing area, so who do you think were the victims of "fun pvp"?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.