Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did ESO kill GW2?

13»

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited June 2016
    baphamet said:
    YashaX said:
    The bigger question is will CU or CF kill WvW in ESO and GW2?
    pvp in ESO is already pretty dead to be honest. i think that fact should concern people who have high hopes for CU because IMO if they don't do a far better job than both GW2 and ESO in that regard, it's going to flop hard.

is it going to be that much more fun and better being an indie game that is more dedicated to RvR style pvp? i have a hard time believing that.
    Well, from the perspective of pvp, the core game design of CU is far better than that of ESO. For example progress is based on pvp, whereas in ESO progress really requires a deep investment in pve.

A lot will depend on whether the combat and so forth is any good, but assuming it is, CU (and possibly CF) will be the only mmo tightly focused around RvR which should help it to do a better job in that department.
  • SuilebhainSuilebhain Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Why, in 2016, are we still talking about MMOs killing each other?  

There can be only one!!!
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    PvP in ESO is really packed in all of the campaigns, at least on PC. I'm sure Console is packed too from what I understand. And the game in general on the PvE side has a high playerbase and is always getting more. So the game in general is doing quite well but no, it has nothing to do with GW2.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited June 2016
    GW2 killed GW2, if your looking at it from a pvp'ers perspective and directing your attention towards it's WvWvW. It was horribly casual with little to no progression, and for the hardcore guilds and players only the first few months held our interest. Entire alliances of guilds vacated the game in a several month span.

In terms of ESO somehow impacting GW2's pvp population, obviously some overlap occurred it always does. Yet, as a hardcore ESO pvper who played actively on the NA PC version from head start to Jan. of this year, I can tell you it didn't do much. The pvp population in ESO was never very large, even the amount of campaigns at launch never filled. Since then, at least on NA PC, it now has 10-15% of the population it had at launch and it's mostly casual players. Aka it killed no one.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Archlyte said:
    For UI, Interface, Art Design, and overall look I would say that ESO definitely kills GW2.
    I'm sorry, but ESO's UI is horrendous, because it was obviously meant for consoles.  Both have different Art Styles, so they shouldn't be compared.  That would be like trying to compare Realism, Abstract, or Cubism.  They all have different styles.
  • iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    edited June 2016
    Dear bcbully, I still remember the plethora of the threads you used to open bashing Guild Wars 2 and telling people to move to the far superior TSW. You seem to have a grudge against Anet and their game.

I was an optimist when GW2 was released four years ago. It was a game that I enjoyed and I thought that the game had a lot of potentional to grow and become even better. Sadly enough, Anet didn't seem to know how to handle their title and they ended up wasting years rerolling and re-releasing systems.

At the end of the day though, ESO is just a different game. It has its own ups and downs and I doubt it actually does affect GW2 in any major way. Both GW2 and ESO have healthy populations currently, and considering the fact that GW2 has been out for 4 years, I would call it a commercial success. Currently, ESO has more room to grow as Anet still seem lost regarding where they want to take the game. 

Nontheless, they are very different and GW2 isn't remotly ''dead'' to call out another title for killing it. And even if it dies, it would die because of Anet's mishandeling of their own game than ESO or any other game killing it.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    I know it's purely speculation, but as someone who quit GW2 for ESO, I can see where the author would think that.  Granted there's now way we'll ever be able to prove it one way or another.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    I fell off of GW2 about 4 months after launch, and just haven't been able to load it back up.  And yeah, I'm playing ESO now and am pretty much happy with it.  I prefer it to GW2 on almost every level.

I think it's more just a taste thing more than anything else.  I've never been into the Korean-ish graphic style, nor its cutesy anthropomorphic animal races.  Quaggan can go get bent.

As MMO's go though, it sure offers alot of game for a b2p title.  It's a good game, just not my thing.  It deserves its success.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Why, in 2016, are we still talking about MMOs killing each other?  
    ^this

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kind of an odd one, the premise that ESO has somehow killed GW2 is odd in that ESO while it does have a PC client, its the Console servers that seem to be the most populated, and GW2 isn't afaik even on Console?
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    YashaX said:
    baphamet said:
    YashaX said:
    pvp in ESO is already pretty dead to be honest. i think that fact should concern people who have high hopes for CU because IMO if they don't do a far better job than both GW2 and ESO in that regard, it's going to flop hard.

is it going to be that much more fun and better being an indie game that is more dedicated to RvR style pvp? i have a hard time believing that.
    Well, from the perspective of pvp, the core game design of CU is far better than that of ESO. For example progress is based on pvp, whereas in ESO progress really requires a deep investment in pve.

A lot will depend on whether the combat and so forth is any good, but assuming it is, CU (and possibly CF) will be the only mmo tightly focused around RvR which should help it to do a better job in that department.
     Agreed, the selling point for me on RvR in Camelot Unchained is they aren't spreading themselves thin with trying to please both PvE and PvP crowds, they know what their goal is and that's what they try to make. I'm not put off by it being a "small indie studio," because the people they do have are experienced developers, with many games under their combined belts. 

As a player of both GW2 and ESO, I find myself still spending much more time in GW2 than I do in ESO.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Going by revenue, the population seems fairly stable.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    baphamet said:
    YashaX said:

Last time I checked (2-3 weeks ago when I logged for the last time and was playing every single day before that) atleast in EU there were like 3 fairly active campaigns (PC/Mac). Nevertheless two of them atleast had some balance issues but then it had often little to do with population rather game design (i.e. pop lock yet nobody there to actually take or defend keeps - everyone in IC or questing).

Also I wouldn't worry about CU at this point. Keep in mind that quite a few RvR based guilds simply skept both GW2 and TESO but the plan to go from DAoC to CU or (if stopped their activities) are reappearing just for CU - and their players also skept both GW2 and TESO. And DAoC players seem to be the main target there - not TESO/GW2.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    ESO obviously had a huge impact on the market, as it's the fastest selling MMORPG to date. However it did not kill GW2. Sure it's more popular, and has a way more profitable bussiness model (which it shows by how fast they release very high quality content), but no again it did not kill GW2. GW2 still remains one of the most popular MMO on the market. It's just no more the prefered choice if you're looking for a B2P MMO.

I actually think ESO had a much bigger impact on WoW subs, as WoW lost 70%+ subs AFTER the release of ESO. Players probably realized that WoW is definitively not worth the Sub, when a game like ESO is B2P.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    I left GW2 when the focus was full gear for Living Story and I realized that they have literally abandoned entire parts of the game (still, to this day ex. dungeons).  However, my disdain began when they introduced ascended gear full knowing (admitted and confirmed by then studio director chris whiteside) that there would be back lash but refused to give any heads up prior to GW2 launch.  I couldn't support their direction anymore.

Now that the expansion is out and so far, no new living story content is out, I was considering coming back.  But WvW seems dried up and still, no love for dungeons.

I'll also add that the consistant white-knighting of certain individuals on the forums refusing to acknowledge that you can't dismiss an argument you disagree with simply by saying "not everyone agrees with you".  Yeah, thats the point...isnt it?

Is it dead?  I dont know.  Did ESO do it?  Eh, not sure.  Probably not.  Will I ever go back?  Probably not.  

I'll say that the first three months of GW2, vanilla GW2...some of the best MMO days of my gaming life since my early days in WoW.