Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Twitch turn gamers into beggars?

CrittRocketsCrittRockets Member UncommonPosts: 159
I've been streaming on Twitch for a couple years now, playing various games between WoW, Heroes of the storm, Starcraft and HotS. My original goal was to monetize it by getting a large amount of followers and getting donations...but after seeing this video I've had to completely rethink Twitch.

The HOGG youtuber calls out twitch streamers and how they act like beggars, constantly asking for donations, for people to follow them, etc... and I've begun to notice this now even with the larger streamers.

I feel dirty now. How does begging for money on twitch make me any different than a homeless man on the sidewalk with a torn styrofoam cup? All the gimmicks, the donation games, all make me feel pathetic.

Does Twitch turn gamers into beggars?

P.S. he was right on more than one point... I have 2 cats...

Comments

• DinsighDinsigh Member CommonPosts: 2
    I think it really depends on the stream. There are absolutely some streams which I would consider "online peddlers" - it's apparent they try and push people into donating. Then there are other streams that I follow which have rarely mentioned donations or "tips" and people still seem to donate to both types. For many, Twitch is a business and businesses exist to make money. I think as long as streamers don't guilt trip their loyal communities into donating, I don't think of this as a real issue. Just my opinion.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It most certainly does but more so CHANGES the streamer.

Most every streamer starts out a nice person,then soon as they become sponsored they change big time.

You see a guy like Day9 for example.He locks chat into sub only mode,he basically says to all other followers ,the people that helped make him big to screw off ,your not important to me anymore.Of course you can spot a positive to some of these streamers actions or their behavior but bottom line is they are looking out for their own best interests and >>>>$$$$$.
    I still cannot believe the amount of people tossing money around and how some VERY average boring streamers have so many rabid dedicated followers,example Lirik.

Personally i jump around,i am there for entertainment,if a streamer is boring i leave.I see way too much ass kissing in streams,the whole purpose is SUPPOSE to be about gaming but there is no question at all that the main interest goal is $$$.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Heh that was actually pretty funny to listen to.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
     He is entertaining to a degree, I will give him that. But If you look at his twitch channel he has a huge paypal donation button on it. So I am not really sure where he is going with this rant.
  • JasmineJasJasmineJas Member UncommonPosts: 15
    They perform for free, but have a hat set in front of them, you are not guilted for failing to pay them with tales of plight or pitiful glances. They smile, they entertain.