Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some company should offer a stable of retired games

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
It would be awesome if some company bought up a bunch of games that have been shut down. Imagine buying a subscription and gaining access to:

SWG
Vanguard
City of Heroes and City of Villans
The Matrix

and so many others. 

SOE used to have a subscription package that alloed access to all of its games. 

Sure, they would have to have a skeleton crew and the games would barely be on life support, but still ....

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Licensing costs for Star Wars and The Matrix would be a problem.  That's not an issue for the others, but if you offered to pay millions to buy Vanguard and CoX, I'd expect Daybreak and NCsoft to be interested.  The problem in the case of Vanguard is that there were far too few people who liked it when it was available.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    We kind of do have that for Korean games with RedFox, they host a crazy amount of old Korean MMORPG games, it would be neat to have one for those games as well. I don't know how they could stay profitable but who knows maybe it would get back a generation of players.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I've often thought that it would be a nice "thank you" to the playerbase if, when an MMO closed, the developers released the code and advised on server setup so that the community can take over. 

Ofc, won't happen as I expect a lot of companies share code between projects, so wouldn't necessarily want to share database architectures etc as it could compromise other projects.