Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow, stationary, boring DPS class for me?

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You missed the boat on the BETTER game ...FFXI.
    In the real meaningful battles you might find some you just stand there but you are forever busy and thinking,watching for a certain rotation.

At least to me the perfect mix,finding that fine line between difficult ,challenging and fun was done in FFXI,FFXIV just doesn't get there,either far too easy or too cumbersome with FORCED agenda,albeit,i guess most all games have some sort of forced agenda,...so much for YOUR rpg game.

I would say if your looking for a simpler boring type class,then look at EQ2 a nuker,just fun to blow stuff up with big damage.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    LumiLumi said:
    If you want slow then Black Mage or Summoner.

While BRD is easy to play, it involves a lot of weaving and erratic movement with the casting introduction from level 54+ which can become a little panicky and stressful when you've had free movement from level 1. Also it involves a lot of CD management and weaving. 

Black Mage is pretty much the same relaxing rotation and keeping up a buff at level 60. It's a really nice class to play. Summoner is semi-similar with more management because of pet but you can do good damage with little effort. 
    Something to keep in mind with Summoner is that you have to level THM to 26 before even thinking of Arcanist (Summoner's Primary class).....Well, OK, I suppose you can do in the order in which you want. But THM 26 is all but mandatory for any caster class. But since BLM is THM's primary job, that's a given anyway. But if it were me. I'd still go summoner. Summoner is still worth it.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    LumiLumi said:
    If you want slow then Black Mage or Summoner.

While BRD is easy to play, it involves a lot of weaving and erratic movement with the casting introduction from level 54+ which can become a little panicky and stressful when you've had free movement from level 1. Also it involves a lot of CD management and weaving. 

Black Mage is pretty much the same relaxing rotation and keeping up a buff at level 60. It's a really nice class to play. Summoner is semi-similar with more management because of pet but you can do good damage with little effort. 
    Something to keep in mind with Summoner is that you have to level THM to 26 before even thinking of Arcanist (Summoner's Primary class).....Well, OK, I suppose you can do in the order in which you want. But THM 26 is all but mandatory for any caster class. But since BLM is THM's primary job, that's a given anyway. But if it were me. I'd still go summoner. Summoner is still worth it.
    Swiftcast isn't exactly crucial for a dps as much as it is a healer, so he could get away with not worrying about taking THM to 26 for a while.

Also, OP, you should know that if you wanna put the least amount of effort into grinding levels of other classes for the extra secondary skills, Black Mage is both an easy rotation, and the only class that doesn't really require any help from other class skills to really shine, so you could play it on its own and level through the content without feeling gimped in any way, plus you'd get the class to 26 for Swiftcast (an ability to let you instantly cast your next spell, most important for healers to raise people during battle without taking a lot of time, but good all around) so if you decided to play other caster classes, you'd be better off. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Well some classes may not have to move much to do damage but allot of the boss fights require tons of movement to not take damage.  Just an FYI.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Monk is the job class of the puglist. It is positionally dependent on getting max dps output. Same goes for lancer/dragoon.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Honestly there won't be a single class that is stationary.  There are so many fights with so many mechanics that require you to move that you will be moving quite a bit regardless.
    Monk and Dragoon are the worst offenders as you will be constantly moving for avoiding stuff AND for DPS output.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Honestly there won't be a single class that is stationary.  There are so many fights with so many mechanics that require you to move that you will be moving quite a bit regardless.
    Monk and Dragoon are the worst offenders as you will be constantly moving for avoiding stuff AND for DPS output.

Game probably isn't for me, then.  Like I said, I can move out of the red OK, I just can't mash attack buttons very well while actively moving.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Game probably isn't for me, then.  Like I said, I can move out of the red OK, I just can't mash attack buttons very well while actively moving.
    It's more than that.  Don't let the slow turn based combat fool you.  FFXIV is as twitch as they come.  Unless you have an amazing connection to the server the time you have to react is usually much less than in similar MMOs.  Would not recommend it to someone with your concerns.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Blackmage will be the most ideal choice. Very simple to play once you have the general flow down and will involve (heck a mechanic it has IS to stay in a certain area). Summoner is a much more difficult choice to play so I'd avoid that if your slower unless your good with dot management. Bard would generally be pretty easy, although considering the other elements you need to keep track of. I find the base DPS of Bard is a lot harder then Blackmage which personally I find to be extremely easy to play. People contest that at 60 its more complex but truthfully I don't see it.
    reeereee said:

It's more than that.  Don't let the slow turn based combat fool you.  FFXIV is as twitch as they come.  Unless you have an amazing connection to the server the time you have to react is usually much less than in similar MMOs.  Would not recommend it to someone with your concerns.

Wow, even in solo PvE and dungeons?
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    reeereee said:

Solo is a joke but some of the mid level dungeons and stand alone bosses people can have issues on. 
    reeereee said:

It feels slow at low levels, but the long CDs that people complain about (at low levels) are really designed to accommodate the different combination sequences later on. It's not boring at all. You have options and choices within combat.

Doesn't one of those classes, Summoner or BM, have some back-and-forth rotation mechanic like a Druid in WoW?
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Summoner is like the lock in WoW.  Black mage is similar in some respects to the Mage class in WoW. Back and forth, well with black mage you change to frost damage for a short bit to regen mana .  I think you aetherflow to regen on summon and I believe there is a siphon type spell you cast to regen mana from your target.
    As to the druid, are you talking about the Moonkin spec?

Doesn't one of those classes, Summoner or BM, have some back-and-forth rotation mechanic like a Druid in WoW?
    THM rotates between elements 
    Yeah, Moonkin is what I meant.  That's it, the elements thing!  Black Mage doesn't have a weird mechanic like that?  Just straight-forward casting?
    Yeah, Moonkin is what I meant.  That's it, the elements thing!  Black Mage doesn't have a weird mechanic like that?  Just straight-forward casting?
    You have fire and ice, as I recall. Fire does more DPS and eats mana but ice does less DPS but regens mana. So you use Fire Aspect until Mana runs out, then you switch to Ice Aspect until you recover your mana and switch back to fire.
    You have fire and ice, as I recall. Fire does more DPS and eats mana but ice does less DPS but regens mana. So you use Fire Aspect until Mana runs out, then you switch to Ice Aspect until you recover your mana and switch back to fire.

OK, thanks.

Is there an advanced caster class that doesn't have a mechanic like that?  Just straight-forward casting?
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    THM/BLM is pretty much straight forward. Hit the fire spells until you are nearly empty on mana then hit the button called Transpose that switches element and then hit ice attacks until full. By then the cooldown on Transpose should be up so you can switch back to fire. You can do it without Transpose, but the first spell cancels the buff from the other element and the next spells gives you the buff for the element you are casting.
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    why not just try the game out yourself isnt their a free 14 day trial ?
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Just want to say - man oh man I hope they bring this game to XB1 now that MS is very open to cross platform. I remember reading something from E3 saying that they were in talks with MS to get it done.

Loved the game on PC/PS3, it'd be so fun to start over on XB1 with tons of new players on new servers!
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    heerobya said:
    Just want to say - man oh man I hope they bring this game to XB1 now that MS is very open to cross platform. I remember reading something from E3 saying that they were in talks with MS to get it done.

Loved the game on PC/PS3, it'd be so fun to start over on XB1 with tons of new players on new servers!
    Indeed :)
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Play summoner.  Start with Arcanist.  It's a dot class with pet.  Very solo friendly and you get a heal.  Put your points once you hit level 10 into INT.  

VERY IMPORTANT: When you hit 15 go through the 'training tutorial' for new adventurers.  Completing that gives you an XP boost pre 30 ring with +3 to every stat.  This adventurer tutorial can be found next to any inn.  It also can be found by clicking the exclamation point circle in the lower right of the screen and selecting 'Hall of Novice.'  You will also find the duty finder (the way to queue up for dungeons/trials etc) this way as well.

When you hit level 30 go Summoner.  There is a TON of content for solo player.  Easily keep you busy for moderate play for months to come.  You can try out and level all classes/jobs on one character.  But if you want to do a straight shot, go Arcanist and follow the main storyline.  Check back in on class quests every five levels (Arcanist is located in Lower Deck Limsa Lominsa.)
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    some classes are a bit more stationary , partiularly if solo , but at endgae Duty/Roulette etc .. Stationary = dead .. regardless of class.. Lots of moving around most of the time for everyone
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    No class will allow you to remain stationary. The game relies on NPCs spamming AoE attacks and it's literally the only mechanic in the game. You can go from debuff to huge damage to one shot death if you haven't run out of any given AoE.

Not a criticism. It is what it is. You want a stationary class? Try crafting and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. Try Crafting. You might enjoy it.