Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will AMD Be The Undisputed Mid-Range King?

ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

So, news on the RX-470 has just dropped and it seems that it's going to perform better than the R9-280x, all the while priced at $149 and with a TDP of just 110w. With the RX-480 just $50 more, and the 8GB RX-470 reportedly costing around $179, is AMD set to overtake the mid-range market?

For me, this seems like a smart move for AMD and I think that it's likely to happen that AMD dominate the midrange market. Nvidia isn't probably going to release anything that's around $200 to try and compete, especially since doing so would create a huge gap in the pricing segment as the 1070 is currently priced at $379 (and even more, as some retailers have taken advantage of the current shortage).

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Isn't that the niche AMD has been aggressively after for a long while now? nVidia hasn't really been terribly competitive in the <$250 market for a long time now.
  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    I don't really think so. IIRC, the 950/960/970 have all pretty much dominated in their respective price segments, especially in countries where electricity consumption is a pretty big deal. The last time I remember AMD winning in the mid-range market was probably back when Tahiti was first released back in 2012,
  • fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I always considered that AMD had that market fairly well sewn up- my last three/ four laptops have been AMD; they are just better value for lower-mid end machines.  
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    They do sound good, but personally i'll be sticking with Nvidia, my history with AMD GPU's has not been a happy one. :o
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Well, the 970 isn't really in the same market, it's a $300+ card. Maybe you could argue it's on the high end of "midrange", but you could also argue it's on the low end of "High end".

And I think we've pretty well established the "electricity price" case is just a non-issue. Unless your running a bitcoin farm 24/7, the difference in the electrical costs of any video card ends up being pretty darn negligible. Less than sales tax for the most part.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    If you are running a bit coin farm with a gpu, it's gonna be an AMD.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    A lot depend on what you consider the mid-range.  AMD has typically offered better value than Nvidia below about $300, but the GTX 660, GTX 760, GTX 960, and GTX 950 have sometimes been pretty competitive in their price ranges in recent years.

A couple of months from now, if the Radeon RX 460, 470, and 480 and GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080 are the only 14/16 nm cards out, then it's probable that AMD will be the undisputed king of the midrange and Nvidia will be the undisputed king of the high end.  Those will both change once Nvidia gets their new midrange out and AMD gets their new high end out.

You could argue that there is never an undisputed king of a market segment, as sufficiently dedicated fanboys can dispute anything.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Cleffy said:
    If you are running a bit coin farm with a gpu, it's gonna be an AMD.
    If you're still running a bitcoin farm on GPUs, you're doing it wrong.  The bulk of the work on a GPU is doing 64-bit rotates, and on an FPGA, that's a no-op.  There have been custom ASICs for bitcoin mining for a number of years now, and those can do those rotates insanely efficiently, as well as everything else in the hash.

The prominent cryptocurrency most favorable to GPUs these days is probably Ethereum, though that's largely because there aren't custom ASICs for it yet.
  • YdeepsYdeeps Member CommonPosts: 8
    Quizzical said:
    A lot depend on what you consider the mid-range.  AMD has typically offered better value than Nvidia below about $300, but the GTX 660, GTX 760, GTX 960, and GTX 950 have sometimes been pretty competitive in their price ranges in recent years.

A couple of months from now, if the Radeon RX 460, 470, and 480 and GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080 are the only 14/16 nm cards out, then it's probable that AMD will be the undisputed king of the midrange and Nvidia will be the undisputed king of the high end.  Those will both change once Nvidia gets their new midrange out and AMD gets their new high end out.

You could argue that there is never an undisputed king of a market segment, as sufficiently dedicated fanboys can dispute anything.
    Agreed. Hopefully, with the RX-480 NDA out today, and the RX 460 and 470 to follow suit in the months after, we'd see AMD giving Nvidia an actual run for their money.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm always happy to see the leadership position change hands. There's nothing quite like healthy competition to deliver value to the consumer.

As long as neither AMD nor nVidia become entrenched in a market segment, that will always lead to pressure to innovate, as well as keeping prices competitive.

The one thing you DON"T want to see is AMD "killing" nVidia, or vice versa...
    So the first reviews of the RX-480 just came out. Judging by this, it's not exactly as good as expected, but still quite a good card for its price.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Ydeeps said:
    So the first reviews of the RX-480 just came out. Judging by this, it's not exactly as good as expected, but still quite a good card for its price.

Yea they talk about you need 2 of them in order to be top notch.  They are designed for this feature to save power, run cooler, and give better performance.  Hitting that low range market where people cannot necessarily afford a 700$ video card they can just buy this one for 200$ and two months from now buy another and they got a top notch card.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    AMD has been for the longest time the value choice. Not for the very top end when it came to picking them, but they blow NVidia out of the water if your looking for value for your dollar, particularly if you are more tech savy to do some overclocking.  I personally prefer AMD because I don't need the 'latest and greatest' and prefer to get a lot more bang for my buck that NVidia just doesn't provide. 

Unless there happens to be that rare crazy deal that puts an NVidia card with a higher performance at a good price that is better then an AMD or If I'm shopping to make a monster PC with the latest and greatest I'll probably always pick an AMD. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Man that card is ugly.
    I'm just happy that it offers r9-390 performance at almost half the power consumption. Lol

Man that card is ugly.

Hopefully Sapphire does their usual thing and releases an awesome looking Vapor-X/Toxic edition of the card.
    Man that card is ugly.
    Its a sad day when a computer chip needs to look appealing even though its going to be completely covered.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    filmoret said:
    Ydeeps said:

Yea they talk about you need 2 of them in order to be top notch.  They are designed for this feature to save power, run cooler, and give better performance.  Hitting that low range market where people cannot necessarily afford a 700$ video card they can just buy this one for 200$ and two months from now buy another and they got a top notch card.
    Two of them wouldn't be top-notch, it would be unreliable performance.

RX-480 is really good card for its price, but at the moment NVidia is the performance king and Polaris can't compete.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Dude, you're just harassing him/her now.

I would watch my mouth if you don't want to get reported.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    DMKano said:
    Man that card is ugly.

Just take a screen cap of Black Desert print it and glue it on there and - bingo!

Har har, very funny.  Seriously though, who thought pink and grey with a dimpled face was a good idea?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    DMKano said:
    Man that card is ugly.
    Just take a screen cap of Black Desert print it and glue it on there and - bingo!
    Wouldn't that be a fire hazard?

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    If we're defining mid range as sub 200 then likely amd will win that, im not sure that they'll win it by leaps and bounds though.  the rx 480 8gb in the vid is slightly slower than the 970. Since the rx480 is about $35 cheaper that makes them seem like similar deals. The GTX 960 is slightly slower than the rx 480 but is $50 cheaper. Power wise the vid says the rx 480 is 150 watts which is comperable to both the 970 and 960 so thats not really a factor. 

With the rise of dx12 my bet is the RX 480 will start to have more value than it does currently and would then make it the better choice.  As far as I'm aware there isn't really much out there on dx12 benchmarks yet for the card so hard to say on that one.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    edited June 2016
    Two RX 480's is a bit more than half the price of a GTX1080 and some reports say outperformed the 1080. I just bought the RX 480 8gb to replace a GTX770 and seeing as I play in 1920x1080 still, this is a big boost for me. Not jumping to 4K yet but might go 1440 at some point over the next year and hopefully this card will deliver. AMD have said there would be good available stock and they where right I got mine coming tomorrow from overclockers and i'm in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eina_dk_HgE

Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    Ydeeps said:

Two of them wouldn't be top-notch, it would be unreliable performance.

RX-480 is really good card for its price, but at the moment NVidia is the performance king and Polaris can't compete.
    The dx12 is suppose to fix this but you never know.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Polaris isn't meant to compete against nVidias top range. It's AMDs midrange parts. Vega coming in Q4 2016 is what will compete against the top end NVidia card that is also not out. I would imagine a lower clocked Vega to compete against the 1080.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Nvidia have 2 mid ranged marker cards, the x50 cards for the lower mid market and the x60 for the higher. expect a 1050 and 1060 card to come out soon.

As for who sells most it seems to me that AMD sells more GPUs for laptops while Nvidia sells more for desktops at the moment but that is just based on my buddie who works at my local hardware store so that can differ from place to place.

Whatever, I am glad as long as both are in business and compete, it would be a disaster for us if one company bought the other.