Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for something to go back to or start a new.

Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524
Hello I'm a pretty long time MMO vet (started my mmo gaming days back in 2002 with EQ:RoK and DAoC) I have since been on to play great titles like SWG, WoW, WAR (Would play that right now if it was still online), LotRO, SW:ToR (The game i go back to currently), FF11 and 14, EQ2, GW2, CoH/CoV, DCUO and ESO.

I'm looking for something to fill the void that was going to be EQ:Next while I also wait for Gloria Invictus to be more polished and Elyria, Crowfall and Camelot unchained to be released. I was wondering If anyone could help me out with something to play. I've considerd going back to WoW and just playing a new class, also gave EQ2 consideration but i'm kinda in a boycott mode of Daybreak. GW2 is something I thougth of but I never really captured me that much.

What i like is Good PvE with end game being a goal but not something I want to be hardcore about. PvP is a big plus but i'm not huge on zergs unless they have a purpose such as DAoC with the frontiers and WAR (I think it was EXP bonus perhaps not sure). I've thought about ESO but everytime I try to click the play button I stop myself and go maybe there is something else out there.

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Well, for good PvE I'd say either (the go back part) LotRO, or (to start a new) TSW, those are the best :wink:

For the "pvp is a big plus" part:
    I guess you're familiar with LotRO's pvp already, there's a new map for it and also (because of the new hardware and the server transfers) it's pretty laggy nowadays. Seriously, with the last Update (U18) they added a toggle called PvMP Performance Override, to automatically reduce the gfx when you're in Ettenmoors or Osgiliath :lol:

TSW's pvp is in separated instances too, and no zerging, more like groups with 5 or 10 peeps against each other for the short versions (3 factions), and there's Fusang which is something like Ettenmoors (persistent zone with a world buff for everyone outside when their faction owns it). But Fusang is in the revamp currently, and mostly empty nowadays.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Based on what you've played, I honestly don't think there's a game out there that will keep you occupied for long.

As such, I recommend trying something different - like a meaty singleplayer RPG or perhaps something like The Division?

If you must play an MMO - then the "pre-Legion" WoW patch is just around the corner and it has plenty of interesting changes.
  • Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524
    I played the division i failed to mention it since it was great but the PvP bothered me and the end game (shotgunners mainly) annoyed me to going back to destiny. I might give LotRO a try again i saw the Gondor stuff looks interesting for sure but i never reached high lvls in that game. TSW might be something i check out. Thanks for that suggestion. Hard finding something to try these days after 14 years of mmo gaming.

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    GW2 for me best WvW/RvR
    ESO Good PvE and also a solid RvR
    Wildstar Good PvE not so good PvP
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I think you have stepped into the twilight zone. You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

Sorry to get all crazy but I believe you have no choice of games. Welcome to the misery of gaming. As an old vet since 1994 being on the Intranet. The term we called it back in the day. This is the price you paid for being such a user of different games. So in the end there is no true recommendation I can give you.

Try to explore genres maybe you have never tried, Welcome to gaming hell.

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    You mentioned you would play WAR again if it was online. Have you tried Return of Reckoning?
    https://www.returnofreckoning.com/about.php

I seems like a pretty good sever. I liked WAR too... I played it for pretty long time.

Another option .... have you considered a MMOFPS like Planetside 2? ... but it is Daybreak

I just started playing that one, but I like WoW too. Starting a new class could be fun, especially since the new expansion is coming out and you can get a lvl 100 boost. If you never played a healer, I would give that a try. I never thought I would like healing, but it's a blast in pvp.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Elder scrolls online, Tera, Warframe.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited June 2016
    reid424 said:
    I might give LotRO a try again i saw the Gondor stuff looks interesting for sure but i never reached high lvls in that game. TSW might be something i check out.
    Osgiliath is a fun map (and I don't even like pvp in MMOs :wink: ), and if you don't have high-levels, you still can go in as a servant of Sauron.

TSW is b2p but recently added an open trial option, with it you can check it out for 10 days - as you can read around here, plenty of folks hate the combat there so at least you can decide by yourself, after actual gameplay :lol:  Pvp is available right from the start, there's a buff for bringing you up near the others, but of course you will have less options due to the fewer unlocked skills as a newbie.

Fusang was mentioned above, there's also Stonehenge (king of the hill, 3x5 players) and El Dorado (3x10 players, a form of capture the flag(s) and guard them, if a faction can keep all 4 for a minute, they win). A couple months ago they've added Shambala, that is the most popular currently due to the fast payload :wink:  (no faction, 2x10 players, no respawn, quick and short battles. A review after the launch: https://youtu.be/khlnZ6aOnlU?t=1m59s  )

Can't really detail them more, I don't even have a pvp-focused deck... TSW is awesome for PvE. And has a great community.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    You've tried the rest...now try EVE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• omera51omera51 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    @kyleran I'm namedropping you so I can make my own thread yo
    Never tried Wildstar but thought it was on a slow death, I tried EVE not for me sadly. Planetside is great fun but daybreak; tried warframe and tera they had their moments. I've looked into Return to reckoning but for some reason i can't get the download for the client to work it always gets corrupted.

Phoebes said:
    You mentioned you would play WAR again if it was online. Have you tried Return of Reckoning?
    https://www.returnofreckoning.com/about.php

I seems like a pretty good sever. I liked WAR too... I played it for pretty long time.

Another option .... have you considered a MMOFPS like Planetside 2? ... but it is Daybreak

I just started playing that one, but I like WoW too. Starting a new class could be fun, especially since the new expansion is coming out and you can get a lvl 100 boost. If you never played a healer, I would give that a try. I never thought I would like healing, but it's a blast in pvp.

I got it to work =)

• masengo7masengo7 Member CommonPosts: 13
    Allods online subscription server is always an option, $8 a month and better than the free to play model. Best choice I made with the game was switching servers. Low population but hopefully that isn't discouraging because people do do content with other players at endgame.