Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just watched the movie, my quick impressions here !SPOILERS!

2»

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Where the movie succeeded was capturing that Warcraft feeling ... it felt like warcraft. and that brought back so many memmories...  worth every penny i would say... 

I will definately have to watch it a seccond time as there was so much happening...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Where the movie succeeded was capturing that Warcraft feeling ... it felt like warcraft. and that brought back so many memmories...  worth every penny i would say... 

I will definately have to watch it a seccond time as there was so much happening...
    yeah i personally saw it in 3D VMAX and i have to admit the 3D was on point, i think i've said it before in another thread but it bought in just enough depth without being too over bearing or in your face and it really did capture warcraft i'm just kinda of sad there was no tauren yet lol...

i don't know really i think the movie was worth a lot more than some people would lead you to think, could it have been better sure, could it have been longer definitely, but was it bad... no way, some of the best visuals i've seen in a movie and i honestly hope they make more.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    I think if the "suits" had been calling the shots then the movie would have been made by Sam Mendez.

Blizzard scrapped that script and - based on interviews that Duncan Jones has given - Blizzard were the ones calling the shots on the script that was made. So love it or loath it t'was down to Blizzard.
    Another blind Blizzard bashing without any link or valid source... how original coming from you.
    What I said above is widely reported and I have provided links previously

Your suggestion that the film would have done better if it was 20 or 40 minutes long has no links or evidence and totally ignores the basic fact that cinema owners can only show so many films a day (Hint: fewer long films, more short films). 

Your knee jerk "anyone who doesn't agree with what I say is bashing Blizzard" is blinding you to the point I have been making for months. 

Warcraft - broadly - did as well as it was going to. The reviews may have hurt it a bit, maybe it would have done better longer - whatever. The fact remains that it was competing with many other big films. For the same gross revenue. And that after the opening weekend there was a little fish to deal with. 

Go back to what I said earlier in this thread. 

Not so much a case of whether Warcraft was a good or bad film but simply lots of films for people to see. The little fish has even sunk Independence Day! 

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Even though I liked the film because I grew up with Warcraft. I think the same thing needs to be done to Warcraft as what happened with Batman. Crap after the first 2 batman bring in shitstorm val kilmer and Clooney. think tank takes over and brings in Christian bale and Christopher Nolan to smash it out of the park. 
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    DMKano said:
    Volgore said:
    DMKano said:
    Personal score?

Doesn't have to be all technical just gut feel
    6.5 out of 10. Too much hollywood for a better score, too awesome orcs for a 5.

Great IP meets Hollywood, most of the time Hollywood wins.

Hollywood = Formulaic garbage (generally speaking, yes I know there are exceptions )
    Sorry, but I think this trend to bash Hollywood as formulaic needs to stop. 

With all due respect, please name me another place on the planet where so many creative people exist and work together?  Please stop looking at a few blockbuster movies (the superhero genre is now the primary target, including of some Hollywood stars), and look at the hundreds of other movies present.  If they are formulaic, then start talking to all the authors of the books they turn into movies or shows: Game of Thrones.  Guess Martin is a hack!  The Road.  McCarthy must be formulaic.  Fight Club.  Palanaik (spelling?) is a pattern writer. Nicholas Sparks (not my genre) is a great writer.  If you have not, I encourage you to try one of his books out.  But, he is not a formulaic hack.  Yet, he has many movies based off his books. 

Let's take books off the table.  The Pirates' franchise.  That is formulaic to you?  Star Wars?  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  Every Pixar film ever made?  Disney's long list of animated masterpieces?  Universal, Paramount, Fox, Warner, Columbia?  You're telling me that most of what they do (as you noted there are "exceptions") is formulaic garbage?

Sorry.  I don't see it.  I understand many of us can predict what is coming up, especially if we're older.  But, just because we have this skill does not make them formulaic.  It makes us wise.  The road of fiction is well travelled, and you will rarely see things not reskinned.  But, it's the story and how it's told that makes the difference.  That's not formula, that is creativity, and Hollywood is awash with it.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

This movie sucked bad is all I can say and I'm no Blizzard hater.  Loved all their games from warcraft 1.  The critics were right to bash this movie.  Nice CGIs does not make a good movie just like good graphics doesn't make a good game.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

Just the first 5 mins I was cringing for Duncan. that guy was a dick.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    Volgore said:
    DMKano said:
    Personal score?

Doesn't have to be all technical just gut feel
    6.5 out of 10. Too much hollywood for a better score, too awesome orcs for a 5.

Great IP meets Hollywood, most of the time Hollywood wins.

Hollywood = Formulaic garbage (generally speaking, yes I know there are exceptions )
    Sorry, but I think this trend to bash Hollywood as formulaic needs to stop. 

With all due respect, please name me another place on the planet where so many creative people exist and work together?  Please stop looking at a few blockbuster movies (the superhero genre is now the primary target, including of some Hollywood stars), and look at the hundreds of other movies present.  If they are formulaic, then start talking to all the authors of the books they turn into movies or shows: Game of Thrones.  Guess Martin is a hack!  The Road.  McCarthy must be formulaic.  Fight Club.  Palanaik (spelling?) is a pattern writer. Nicholas Sparks (not my genre) is a great writer.  If you have not, I encourage you to try one of his books out.  But, he is not a formulaic hack.  Yet, he has many movies based off his books. 

Let's take books off the table.  The Pirates' franchise.  That is formulaic to you?  Star Wars?  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  Every Pixar film ever made?  Disney's long list of animated masterpieces?  Universal, Paramount, Fox, Warner, Columbia?  You're telling me that most of what they do (as you noted there are "exceptions") is formulaic garbage?

Sorry.  I don't see it.  I understand many of us can predict what is coming up, especially if we're older.  But, just because we have this skill does not make them formulaic.  It makes us wise.  The road of fiction is well travelled, and you will rarely see things not reskinned.  But, it's the story and how it's told that makes the difference.  That's not formula, that is creativity, and Hollywood is awash with it.
    Agree to disagree

I agree with your examples, but they are the exceptions not the rule.

Most of the screenplay writing these days really sucks shit. What drives me crazy is when they make a remake of a classic and think they can improve on a great screenplay that made the movie a classic in the first place and totally butcher the story.

There are still great movies being made, but those are few and far between. I only pay to watch around three films per year and I'm lucky if there are that many worth watching these days.

There are many wonderful actors and actresses these days, acting has never been better. Many great directors as well. Its the writing that's severely lacking. I like a good story over good effects any day. It's great when the two come together.

As to Warcraft, I enjoyed the film. It was better than I thought it was going to be, and I look forward to seeing a Directors Cut.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    As someone who played the original warcrafts I enjoyed the movie for what it was.  Decent popcorn flick that stayed somewhat true to the lore of the old games.  It isn't as bad as critics make it out to be.