Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Camelot Unchained ever effing release?

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Jermzy said:
    Vrika said:
    Sorry, but you should educate yourself about the length of MMO development cycles. So far, CU is in full production for roughly 2.5 years. If they manage to hit beta "this summer", it will actually be the example of rather quick development, not to mention making their own engine which can add year(s) to standard cycle.

Speaking of launch, mid-to-late 2017 would be my guess.
    Kickstarter ended 3 years and 3 months ago.

Could you please enlighten us, what did the game do for 9 months after Kickstarter ended before going into full production?
    9 months (?) is your expression, not mine. I remember MJ saying that CU is in full production since "late 2013", and you can ask someone from the studio about the details - how many workers they had/hired throughout 2013, who was working on what and how they see "full production".

Otherwise, you can just replace 2.5 with 3 in my argument, doesn't change much.
    Actually, Kickstarter ended in June 2013.  So that was 3 years ago. Not 3 years and 3 months.  So that drops the time of wtf were they doing down to 6 months, not 9......by my math anyways.  So you are correct, the day kickstarted ended they should have had their office, all tech equipment, programmers and graphic artists just pumping out code from day 1.  We need people like Vrika making MMO's imo.  I am sure he has about 3 million of his own mula do put on the line like MJ did.  :)
    The exact KS end date is May 2nd - but that's irrelevant IMO. You can see that I can allow to be quite generous, it could be August or February, or even some date in 2012 =)

I spotted strange math immediately, but I like getting straight to the point when I talk. Another way to put it is - MJ's extremely ambitious initial schedule made CU look bad, combined with "sound foundations before makeup" policy...which is somewhat exotic on modern market.
     W...aaagh?
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Vrika said:

Could you please enlighten us, what did the game do for 9 months after Kickstarter ended before going into full production?
    How long should it take to start up a new company?  You need to staff up the core group of people, come up with a mission statement, base of operations and start the interview process of hiring your extended employees.  Founders need to pool their money with the funds they eventually receive from Kickstarter, file and then start working.

So how long should all that take?  A month?  Two?  Five?  Does it really matter?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited June 2016
    Jermzy said:
    Vrika said:
    Sorry, but you should educate yourself about the length of MMO development cycles. So far, CU is in full production for roughly 2.5 years. If they manage to hit beta "this summer", it will actually be the example of rather quick development, not to mention making their own engine which can add year(s) to standard cycle.

Speaking of launch, mid-to-late 2017 would be my guess.

9 months (?) is your expression, not mine. I remember MJ saying that CU is in full production since "late 2013", and you can ask someone from the studio about the details - how many workers they had/hired throughout 2013, who was working on what and how they see "full production".

Otherwise, you can just replace 2.5 with 3 in my argument, doesn't change much.
    Actually, Kickstarter ended in June 2013.  So that was 3 years ago. Not 3 years and 3 months.  So that drops the time of wtf were they doing down to 6 months, not 9......by my math anyways.  So you are correct, the day kickstarted ended they should have had their office, all tech equipment, programmers and graphic artists just pumping out code from day 1.  We need people like Vrika making MMO's imo.  I am sure he has about 3 million of his own mula do put on the line like MJ did.  :)
    The Kickstarter ended on May 2nd 2013, not on June 2013.

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/495847

But it looks like I made a math mistake as well. The real time after Kickstarter ended is 3 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days. Sorry my error I don't know how I added the additional month in there. Still that's about 8 months of WTF -time between Kickstarter end and production start.

Which is very strange since based on Kickstarter updates they were already doing a lot of things at the end of May 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/495847

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    So make up your mind.  You say they didnt do anything for 8 months then in the next paragraph you say they were doing stuff before kickstarter even ended.  Are you the Derek Smart of Camelot Unchained?  lol
    Haroo!
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Just a perspective check...

Has there been ANY kickstarter MMORPG that released yet?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    DOESNT MATTER what he says, he is right tho, this shit is taking to long.

Kickstarter will never be the future, human life span is to precious to linger and wait for a game where the only fun is at the development studio, they think we are as excited as they are, when in reality we coulden't give less of a F. 

wE just want entertainment, sure thing, take 2-3 years but 5 years to make a game? sure thing, it might appear in my peripheral view or ill never notice it again due to other more interresting offers in that time.,

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Nilden said:

Technically, Elite:Dangerous could fit that requirement, but it wasn't a purely crowdfunded project or produced by an indie team. It did use KS money for part of its development though.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited June 2016
    Jermzy said:
    So make up your mind.  You say they didnt do anything for 8 months then in the next paragraph you say they were doing stuff before kickstarter even ended.  Are you the Derek Smart of Camelot Unchained?  lol
    My post was made because I think we should just count the Kickstarter end time as production start time, and I'm trying to find out why JamesGoblin thinks we should count it from late 2013 instead.

But I did some googling and I think I found my answer:

In April 2014 Kickstarter update Camelot Unchained devs wrote:

"3) We have a World Editor! Thus far, we've been using purely procedural programmer stuff for all of our environments. As we move out of "infrastructure mode" and into full production, you’ll find that there's something extra special about this, but you'll be seeing that in just a few weeks…"

@JamesGoblin: So maybe the game has been in production since Kickstarter ended, about 3 years and 2 months, but the devs didn't consider it "full production" before their backend stuff had reached certain milestones?

EDIT: Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/815575

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Wizbuiz said:
    DOESNT MATTER what he says, he is right tho, this shit is taking to long.

Kickstarter will never be the future, human life span is to precious to linger and wait for a game where the only fun is at the development studio, they think we are as excited as they are, when in reality we coulden't give less of a F. 

wE just want entertainment, sure thing, take 2-3 years but 5 years to make a game? sure thing, it might appear in my peripheral view or ill never notice it again due to other more interresting offers in that time.,

I think we should go back to the way things were. We see a movie preview in the winter for summer blockbuster. I'll wait 6 months but 3 years. forget it.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    @Vrika Formally, they were producing it even before KS (some artwork, andrew worked on engine basics) but yea - the extra $5M they "suddenly" got certainly took some time to materialize into additional staff, tech and whatnot. 
     W...aaagh?
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Actually the alpha testers play it regularly, and beta is supposedly "soon" but my guess is late 2017/early 2018 for first launch. 

Play what?  What is there to play?  Last time I logged in, it was a bunch of bots running around in a field with extremely bare bones combat.
    Just going from what a friend told me who logs in regularly, said its come a long way from what you described.

Sounds like you are an early alpha tester too, so you have access to the same news and info I do which clearly communicates their progress so why ask here? For the drama?
    @Kyleran -  Kinda off topic, but as I generally appreciate and respect your opinion on these topics, and seeing as how you have reliable (I hope) 2nd hand knowledge of said game, and I am being a lazy ass this morning (summer classes give me a break).

My question; is CU a primarily PvP game? Or will there be (from what you know now, not looking for definitve information) significant pve as well?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    edited June 2016

My question; is CU a primarily PvP game? Or will there be (from what you know now, not looking for definitve information) significant pve as well?
    There likely wont be "significant" pve. It's at it's root a PVP game. 

As per CU's Foundation Principle 2:  RvR isn't the end game. It's the only game. 

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/foundational-principle-2-rvr-isnt-the-end-game-its-the-only-game/

There will be PVE stuff to do. But the PvE is used to facilitate PvP.

FOr instance there will be an open-world duengeon that players will fight over and in. However, the "End goal" of the dungeon wont be gear-drops or loot. Instead it will be access to special crafting materials, facilities, and realm buffs. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Actually the alpha testers play it regularly, and beta is supposedly "soon" but my guess is late 2017/early 2018 for first launch. 

Play what?  What is there to play?  Last time I logged in, it was a bunch of bots running around in a field with extremely bare bones combat.
    Just going from what a friend told me who logs in regularly, said its come a long way from what you described.

Sounds like you are an early alpha tester too, so you have access to the same news and info I do which clearly communicates their progress so why ask here? For the drama?
    @Kyleran -  Kinda off topic, but as I generally appreciate and respect your opinion on these topics, and seeing as how you have reliable (I hope) 2nd hand knowledge of said game, and I am being a lazy ass this morning (summer classes give me a break).

Maybe this will help as long as it's up to date:

http://camelot.gamepedia.com/PvE_in_Camelot_Unchained
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Nilden said:

Technically, Elite:Dangerous could fit that requirement, but it wasn't a purely crowdfunded project or produced by an indie team. It did use KS money for part of its development though.
    CU is not purely KS funded either btw.  MJ has put in over 2mill and so has a private investor.  None of the KS funds were used to open up the Seattle satellite location or hire the new programmers there as an example.

I just don't understand all the nitpicking.  
    Haroo!
    Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

PvP.  There will be some PvE but not the kind you are used to.  It is definitely a niche game, hence all the criticism i guess.  lol
    Haroo!
    Sovrath said:
    Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Maybe this will help as long as it's up to date:

http://camelot.gamepedia.com/PvE_in_Camelot_Unchained
    That does help, ty. My concern was more directed at one of my pet peeves and that is balancing PvP for Pve'ers, it seems after that read I can go back to doing my homework and not have to worry about it. 

The crafting aspect is rather intriguing.

@Sovrath tyf or the help.

Now back to your regularly scheduled drama.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited June 2016
    Not sure what the issue is, it's a very small group of people making this. They are extremely transparent with their updates. It's practically every week that they send backers an update. Actually, looking at my inbox it is every week.

So my guess is that the people who have ponied up money are in the know. They have the most to lose and yet they are informed every week.

For the people who haven't put in money, keep your pants on, you have no horse in this race.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Jermzy said:
    Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

PvP.  There will be some PvE but not the kind you are used to.  It is definitely a niche game, hence all the criticism i guess.  lol
    You assume I am interested in PvE, I am not, I am also not interested in a (another) PvP game that tries to balance around PvE, ergo my comment/concern. 

Your comment: "Not the kind you are used to".  That is interesting, as the kind I am used to is horribly done, regurgitated crap seen in every MMORPG to date. Whatever pretty wrapper you want to put on it, it's all pretty much the same. So called 'Action Combat' is another sorry joke in the PvE world.

Which is why I mainly focus on PvP nowadays. It's the only thing that has a bit of adventure left to it. Don't get me wrong, PvP has had nothing ground breaking in quite some time either, but at least the players make it interesting now and then.

edited June 2016
    Hatefull said:
    Jermzy said:
    Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

You assume I am interested in PvE, I am not, I am also not interested in a (another) PvP game that tries to balance around PvE, ergo my comment/concern. 

Your comment: "Not the kind you are used to".  That is interesting, as the kind I am used to is horribly done, regurgitated crap seen in every MMORPG to date. Whatever pretty wrapper you want to put on it, it's all pretty much the same. So called 'Action Combat' is another sorry joke in the PvE world.

Which is why I mainly focus on PvP nowadays. It's the only thing that has a bit of adventure left to it. Don't get me wrong, PvP has had nothing ground breaking in quite some time either, but at least the players make it interesting now and then.
    Did not mean that in a derogatory way at all.  There will be some pve but no pve xp.  Mostly npc's and i am not sure if they have released much info on The Depths yet, but all loot will be crafting materials.  Most gear will be player made except for the basic beginner stuff.  Not much else i can say yet, except i think the pvp will be fairly groundbreaking myself.  

This might prove useful; http://camelotunchained.com/v3/bsc-design-docs/progression-system/  about the progression system.

and http://camelot.gamepedia.com/PvE_in_Camelot_Unchained detailing the PvE aspect.
    Haroo!
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I think it will in fact ever release. Just not this year. Quite possibly not next year either. :(

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    not sure, its not looking the best but who know.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Don't get me wrong, guys.  I want this game to release very badly.  I'm just impatient for a new, quality MMO to play, I guess.  And I'm afraid it might not be this game, soon, or maybe ever.  Lord knows it doesn't look like I'll be getting my money's worth from SotA...Albion Online might be fun filler in the mean time.
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    It seems like @MarkJacobs was throwing the idea around just a few months before the Kickstarter. During the Kickstarter, I seem to recall a bunch of complaints about there not being much to show aside from ideas and concept art. During the Kickstarter, they quickly put together some PoC tech to show off.

Based on that; My impression was that the game went from pitch to (at least pre)production relatively close to when the Kickstarter began. Again, just my thought process, but I would think we tend to only hear about games from major publishers once they are a year or possibly two from release (with exceptions I'm sure).

As a result, and as goes for many Kickstarters, we were introduced to the game earlier in its life cycle then we would have been typically. We get to see the process, and the set backs, that would otherwise have taken place behind closed doors. Sure, it takes a long time to make a game. It takes a long time to just make their own engine. I imagine, with CU and various other KS projects, we're getting a better impression of just how long it actually takes (accounting for team size and all).

....that or they could just be taking a long time of course...

Either way, I feel CSE has been pretty transparent and that they put out tons of information about what they are doing, what they have done, and what is in the works. In my opinion, there are plenty of KS projects that people could (rightfully) take issue with, but I don't think CU is one of them.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    mklinic said:
    It seems like @MarkJacobs was throwing the idea around just a few months before the Kickstarter. During the Kickstarter, I seem to recall a bunch of complaints about there not being much to show aside from ideas and concept art. During the Kickstarter, they quickly put together some PoC tech to show off.

Based on that; My impression was that the game went from pitch to (at least pre)production relatively close to when the Kickstarter began. Again, just my thought process, but I would think we tend to only hear about games from major publishers once they are a year or possibly two from release (with exceptions I'm sure).

As a result, and as goes for many Kickstarters, we were introduced to the game earlier in its life cycle then we would have been typically. We get to see the process, and the set backs, that would otherwise have taken place behind closed doors. Sure, it takes a long time to make a game. It takes a long time to just make their own engine. I imagine, with CU and various other KS projects, we're getting a better impression of just how long it actually takes (accounting for team size and all).

....that or they could just be taking a long time of course...

Either way, I feel CSE has been pretty transparent and that they put out tons of information about what they are doing, what they have done, and what is in the works. In my opinion, there are plenty of KS projects that people could (rightfully) take issue with, but I don't think CU is one of them.
    I hate to bring it up here and almost change the topic but crowfall was really thought out and its promising if anyone is let down by kickstarters as of late. I hope for the best of both games.

• tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I am never convinced a kickstarter game will be released until it actually is . 

I would give this a greater chance than Star Citizen though .