Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Straightforward but Engaging Action JRPG - Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageA Straightforward but Engaging Action JRPG - Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness Review

The Star Ocean series is one I’ve never really delved too deeply into, personally. But I have had a nerd love affair with the Tales of series from Namco Bandai. Turns out, Star Ocean developer Tri-Ace was formed by the guys who made the original Tales of Phantasia. So it now makes a whole lot of sense that I’m finding myself engaged by Star Ocean.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited June 2016
    Shame, after SO4 I was really hoping for more from SO5... sounds like a good bargain bin game though (assuming I ever clear my backlog).
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Has anyone noticed a pattern that everything just keeps getting rehashed over and over witcher 3, fallout, star ocean, battlefield, call of duty, Zelda, wacraft, football, hockey, basketball, mmo's . The older I get the more I listen to this " What was old is new" harry potter, warhammer, civilization. I guess the only thing I can do is stop buying or going to see sequals
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

Has anyone noticed a pattern that everything just keeps getting rehashed over and over witcher 3, fallout, star ocean, battlefield, call of duty, Zelda, wacraft, football, hockey, basketball, mmo's . The older I get the more I listen to this " What was old is new" harry potter, warhammer, civilization. I guess the only thing I can do is stop buying or going to see sequals

I would agree slightly with you. The Witcher 3 probably should not be on your list as it is an ending to the story. That being said I don't think the developers of W3 are making a new one as that is the end. I do see your point however.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    acidblood said:
    Shame, after SO4 I was really hoping for more from SO5... sounds like a good bargain bin game though (assuming I ever clear my backlog).
    Probably the best way to put it. For $40 bucks, I'd even say it's worth it if you like old school Tales of games, but don't care if they're only about 20 hours long. For the money, you'd be better off with Tales of Berseria than SO5.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Graey said:

I would agree slightly with you. The Witcher 3 probably should not be on your list as it is an ending to the story. That being said I don't think the developers of W3 are making a new one as that is the end. I do see your point however.

I agree Wticher 3 should be omitted and Warcraft I was referring to World of Warcraft. Seems like bosses just keep getting back up to be killed again. It would be kinda odd to Kill Illaden with his own warglaves. its just insane how much repetition has happened in the last few years. although I do have a question about Star Ocean.

Is it at all like XenoGears or Zenosaga? I own the original copies and rather enjoyed the first installments. I think i'll skip the FF7 remake and just keep the memories of cloud squatting in womens clothes or trying to do march formation correctly.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Sequels are safe money makers. New IP are risky and therefore big studios are less inclined to make them.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited June 2016
    Also I spent a lot of time with this game. There are some weird difficulty spikes and don't get me started on save point locations. Other than that the game plays well and there is a lot to do still after you complete the story so if you are a competitionist you can sink hours into this game. If you are a main story and quit it type then you'll be disappointed like Bill said.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    edited June 2016

All i know man is that i put 100 hours each into final fantasy 7 - 9 and now days i can barely put 15 hours into a game because its built with 20 hrs worth of content in mind.

Star ocean 1 and 2 were great imo Then the 3rd instalment came out and it was the beginning of what we see now with all sequels regardless of game:

"streamlined". A simple directed experience that can be benchmarked into hours of "gaming content". which roughly translates into it being shallow as F***.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Graey said:

although I do have a question about Star Ocean.

Is it at all like XenoGears or Zenosaga? I own the original copies and rather enjoyed the first installments. I think i'll skip the FF7 remake and just keep the memories of cloud squatting in womens clothes or trying to do march formation correctly.

Star ocean 2 and xenogears are quite alot a like for the "Square and enix golden years" However imo xenogear was the superior game due to its scope and more mature setting.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DreamQueenDreamQueen Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Unfortunately, Xenogear never got a sequel and Xenosaga is way different, although still a fun game. Star Ocean got a sequel and it was nothing like SO 1 and 2... Why can't we get these golden year games back? I am Setsuna is the closest we have to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross sequels. I really love and miss games like Lunar and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, but we can't get games like that anymore. They usually give overly complicated battle mechanics now and flashy graphics, but with a shallow story-line and short game-play/no replay-ability. It is unfortunate, FF7-9 are examples of what Rpgs should be, and with more technology they should have been improved instead they are going backwards. Tech that is used on cosmetic appearances, but short length to cater to busy people who have no time to play video games.
    Look at Final Fantasy 15's ridiculous action combat and Call of Duty being only 4 hrs long. Flashy games on high tech systems and they are either short or ruin combat mechanics. FF7 had combat mechanics, why not use materia again? Ignore FF8's combat mechanics, but bring back Triple Triad! Look at what made FF9 awesome and bring that back, instead of just ignoring it?
    Final Fantasy 10 had cool Eidolons, FF 12's license board did lead into FF13's crystarium, but FF15 just ignored everything and made this really wierd action combat. Now, I just want a FF8 spin-off or sequel/prequel, something related to FF8... they could improve the combat, and give us more Triple Triad!
    7 was crossdressing cloud , 8 was the gunblade?, 9 was the tail protagonist theif,10 was the gay laugh underwater soccer player, 11 was online, 12 was scarf girl, 12.5 scarf girl and girlfriends, 13 was no clue, 14 online again, and we are at 15 hmmm.