Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft’s Latest is a Pleasant Surprise - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageNCSoft’s Latest is a Pleasant Surprise - MMORPG.com News

I didn't really know what to expect when I logged into Master X Master (MXM) this weekend for the first ever Alpha weekend test. Fact is, I kind of just assumed it would be "yet another MOBA" with tacked on PVE missions. After spending some time in the game this weekend, it turns out it's a lot more and quite fun to play.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    NC Soft is the best.

I have been saying it for years.

Cant wait to play MXM and looking forward to Lineage Eternal.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    If this were a 3rd person MoBA like Smite this would be thousand times more pleasant, like eye popping pleasant.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited June 2016
    I think my girlfriend showed me this about 2 weeks ago - she had the news from the Gw2 Girls community.

Let's say the ladies are especially hyped about playing Rytlock and Tybalt.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited June 2016
    I watched someone play it on twitch. It at least looked much better than LOL or DOTA2, mainly because you aren't clicking to move. Also had some neat looking things like versatility. Didn't know about the hero-switching, that's pretty cool.

It could become pretty popular. It's familiar enough to LOL or DOTA2 people, but different enough to warrant a serious look I'd imagine. Also graphics aren't too high so people with low end comps or laptops can still play it.

I might check it out if it's f2p. I've got a bad taste in my mouth for NcSoft after the rng boxes in BnS, but they did get the combat really right in that game. Could be decently fun in this game.

I'm sure SMITE will continue to be my go-to MOBA, however.  It's just way too good and 3rd person view is intrinsically better for PVP.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Why do MOBAs insist on this birds-eye, Diablo view?
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    achesoma said:
    They don't. SMITE afaik is 3rd person camera.

However I have a feeling this has nothing to do with MOBAs and you just don't like isometric top-down camera altogether regardless of the game. I could be wrong tho.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    WASD movement is a huge plus in my book.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Mondo is in it, that's a plus for Wildstar.

Science is one part inspiration, two parts perspiration, three parts ANNIHILATION!
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    achesoma said:

However I have a feeling this has nothing to do with MOBAs and you just don't like isometric top-down camera altogether regardless of the game. I could be wrong tho.
    Well, that's one.  But yeah, that camera view just seems kind of archaic and annoying to me.  It's one of the main reasons I've never got into MOBAs.  Was just wondering why it's so popular?
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    achesoma said:
    achesoma said:

Well, that's one.  But yeah, that camera view just seems kind of archaic and annoying to me.  It's one of the main reasons I've never got into MOBAs.  Was just wondering why it's so popular?
    Pretty sure it's related to how good a computer you need to run the game.  I think 3rd person games are harder to render than isometric games.  This means you can run these LOL-type games on a toaster, which means more access for more potential customers.

If that's not the case, then I'd imagine they do it just because it's what's popular and people are used to it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly though- isometric games belong in the 90s imo, not 2016.  But at least this one has wsad movement- a huge step forward for these MOBAs that seem stuck 20 years in the past.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    With this latest MOBA i kind of doubt NCSoft has a game i am remotely interested in anymore, what happened to them, maybe this is part of the reason why NCSoft is doing so poorly outside of their home market? O.o
    achesoma said:
    achesoma said:

Pretty sure it's related to how good a computer you need to run the game.  I think 3rd person games are harder to render than isometric games.  This means you can run these LOL-type games on a toaster, which means more access for more potential customers.

If that's not the case, then I'd imagine they do it just because it's what's popular and people are used to it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly though- isometric games belong in the 90s imo, not 2016.  But at least this one has wsad movement- a huge step forward for these MOBAs that seem stuck 20 years in the past.
    The choice of camera "type" absolutely has no impact how fast or slow a game will run or how complex graphics and shaders it uses. 

The four types (1st, 3rd, side and isometric) date all the way back and I am unsure how you feel that isometric is in any way dated camera choice when it's just one of the 4 options through which game wants to represent itself.

Historically isometric camera is tied to strategy type of games and as  we see can be utilised for ARPGs and MOBAs where strategy is more important than any other aspect of the game (I am not implying that is the fact more or less hinting what could possibly be a reason for this camera choice).

Isometric camera mode is probably the only one that offers constant 360 degree view of the surrounding while still maintaining 3D feel in contrast to side camera.
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    feels like bloodline champions (and its successor battlerite) with pve added to it.
    i'll make sure to check it out when it's released.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This game only made me wish SE made an all-star moba.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I've been playing quite a bit of the alpha and have pretty much the same impression as you. The game feels quite a bit different from other mobas and it really feels refreshing as a whole. I was surprised by the depth of their PvE system as I assumed it was going to be a sort of "tacked on" thing, but was quickly shown I was wrong.

The game does a great job of separating PvE and PvP as well. For their node system (which is a lot like runes in League, just more interesting stats) you can get them completely by just playing PvP, in fact it may be faster to get the Legendary ones doing this. However both the PvP and PvE still work together, meaning that you can feel like your still progressing in PvP by still playing PvE and vice versa.

To top it all off the games PvE is also challenging and quite rewarding to play. It also has a wide selection of maps to play on for PvE (20 at the moment, not including the "raids" which seem to rotate) each with different bosses and mini-bosses.

Excited to play more.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Phry said:
    With this latest MOBA i kind of doubt NCSoft has a game i am remotely interested in anymore, what happened to them, maybe this is part of the reason why NCSoft is doing so poorly outside of their home market? O.o
    I wouldn't say that just yet... everyone I know there says Lineage Eternal is still coming. Unless you don't want this awesomeness (footage now years old):

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Phry said:
    I wouldn't say that just yet... everyone I know there says Lineage Eternal is still coming. Unless you don't want this awesomeness (footage now years old):

Didn't even know that game existed. 

Wonder which one will come out first, Lost Ark or that. I could be wrong but they look like their kind of doing the same thing.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I am LOVING it and I hate moba's it is a real interesting mashup.
    edited June 2016

achesoma said:

achesoma said:

The choice of camera "type" absolutely has no impact how fast or slow a game will run or how complex graphics and shaders it uses. 

The four types (1st, 3rd, side and isometric) date all the way back and I am unsure how you feel that isometric is in any way dated camera choice when it's just one of the 4 options through which game wants to represent itself.

Historically isometric camera is tied to strategy type of games and as  we see can be utilised for ARPGs and MOBAs where strategy is more important than any other aspect of the game (I am not implying that is the fact more or less hinting what could possibly be a reason for this camera choice).

Isometric camera mode is probably the only one that offers constant 360 degree view of the surrounding while still maintaining 3D feel in contrast to side camera.

Hmm, so rendering 3D objects is exactly the same as rendering 2D objects. You learn something new everyday on internet forums.

As for the strategic argument- the extra vision and ability to literally see exactly what's going on with teammates allows you to make more informed decisions, but it cuts off strategic calculation.

In SMITE I can see silhouettes of teammates, but don't have much more information than that about what's going on. Not being able to see behind you forces you to play more carefully, and allows for strategic surprises. Isometric views make sense for Starcraft where you're playing the part of God basically. They don't make sense when you're playing a character.

achesoma said:

achesoma said:

Hmm, so rendering 3D objects is exactly the same as rendering 2D objects. You learn something new everyday on internet forums.

As for the strategic argument- the extra vision and ability to literally see exactly what's going on with teammates allows you to make more informed decisions, but it cuts off strategic calculation.

In SMITE I can see silhouettes of teammates, but don't have much more information than that about what's going on. Not being able to see behind you forces you to play more carefully, and allows for strategic surprises. Isometric views make sense for Starcraft where you're playing the part of God basically. They don't make sense when you're playing a character.
    How the heck did we come to  2D and 3D and whre was that mentioned in anyone's post???????

Please, are you suggesting isometric camera implies 2D graphics? Seriously? I give up, you win.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    5 minute matches? We are down to 5 minutes now? So this is like the Counter Strike of Moba's then hmmmmm
    edited June 2016

achesoma said:

achesoma said:

How the heck did we come to  2D and 3D and whre was that mentioned in anyone's post???????

Please, are you suggesting isometric camera implies 2D graphics? Seriously? I give up, you win.

SMITE requires an 8800 or better GPU.  LOL can run on integrated graphics.

Yeah, isometric games are basically 2D graphics.  People call them 2.5 because they're sort of in-between 2D and 3D.

No, it's not just about camera angle.  There is no setting in LOL to use the 3rd person camera because the game is not rendered in 3D.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:

It reminds me a lot of Gauntlet, and maybe a little bit Diablo'ish. 3 character classes, archer, wizard, warrior, it was a nice video though i half expected to see the message 'the archer has been eating all the food lately'. Its likely a fun game to play, just not my thing. :o
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    the game is tons of fun , u have pve too :)
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Wait...

PvE...  in a MOBA...

Is that even possible?