Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ten years ago...

fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
edited June 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
The following mmos were released in 2006. If you could play any one of them again for the first time, which would you choose? 
You received 25 LOLs. 
You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    While technically 2007, it was still January 2007, I'd love to go back and play WoW TBC again for the 1st time. Otherwise, if that doesn't count, I'd just pick up Vanilla WoW to get ready for it.
  • fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    While technically 2007, it was still January 2007, I'd love to go back and play WoW TBC again for the 1st time. Otherwise, if that doesn't count, I'd just pick up Vanilla WoW to get ready for it.
    Q: Tea or coffee? 
    A: Bacon sandwich
    You received 25 LOLs. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Definitely Everquest 2 for me. I always felt this game was better than WoW.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    2006 was the year I was busy leading a raidgroup in WoW so I didn't play any other games that year.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited June 2016
    fatears said:
    A: "Other" You know......one of the selections YOU provided in the poll.

Why did put "other" if you din't want an "OTHER" answer?
  • fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    fatears said:
    A: "Other" You know......one of the selections YOU provided in the poll.

Why did put "other" if you din't want an "OTHER" answer?
    Just a light-hearted comment, you can pick your toys back up. 
    You received 25 LOLs. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited June 2016
    Lineage 2 was at its best with Chronicle 4: Scions Of Destiny so that would be my number 1 choice.

Of that list,

Everquest 2 to me is the best Western MMO ever made so that would be my number 2 choice.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I still could play any of those other than Guild Wars 1 for the first time unless they've pulled the plug.  But if I didn't care to ten years ago even with far less competition, why would I want to today?
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Auto Assault for me. That was a fun game tight up to the point when it suddenly got cancelled seemingly overnight. 

I would have voted DDO but I still play it. 
  • AshestoAshes420AshestoAshes420 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    2006 was the last year i played world of warcraft seriously (raiding) 
    Good game just got tired of gearing up just to need new gear next expansion!
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Actually, Auto Assault. Not because it is the best game on the list (in all honesty, none of the games on the list were particularly great to me) but because the servers were shut down so fast. I had hardly played the game when it got canceled and I would definitely had liked a bit more time in its world. But hey, thats NCSoft, same thing happened to me with Tabula Rasa. Screw em.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I remember getting into betas for Face of Mankind and Auto Assault.  Both games had potential, but they were badly designed.  They would've been better as singleplayer games.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Gotta go with none in this one
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Other
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I should have started EVE 6 months earlier, instead I returned to DAOC for a spell after leaving WOW just before BC launched. (Might have also tried LOTRO as I recall)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    I would have picked EQ2 but I think at that time they already changed the way you pick classes and kind of ruined it for me.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I don't like the list or the simple 10 years.  I would either play CoV (2005) or Wow tbc (2007).
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    In 2006 I was already playing The Matrix Online for a year or so. Before that was Anarchy Online.  At the time the AO community was already slowly dying. Many of my orgmates and friends had already quit in favor of other games. Finding so many fun, friendly people in the MxO beta made up my mind to change games when it went live. In the beginning it was great with all the live events and well-written storyline. The game itself wasn't the greatest but the community was amazing. Things unfortunately went downhill when Sony Online Entertainment took over and ruined it like they had already done to SWG. Even still, I stuck with it until the very end in 2009. Yes, many people say it was a bad game but I don't regret playing it instead of any of the ones on the list in this poll.
    After MxO ended I found a new home in another obscure, niche game with a wonderful community called Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online. I played that from 2009 until it ended a little over two years ago. Since then I've been searching for another unique, fun game that has that kind of small but dedicated community that MxO and SMT had. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Recore said:
    Lineage 2 was at its best with Chronicle 4: Scions Of Destiny so that would be my number 1 choice.

Of that list,

Everquest 2 to me is the best Western MMO ever made so that would be my number 2 choice.

Spot on. Lineage II at that time was awesome. One of the best MMOs ever made imo

Because Lineage II was not on the list, EQ2 which I have been subbed to since launch and this coming month will be the first month of being a non-subscriber since it hit the market. In 2006 though I was very very heavy into the game. That was the same year I joined this site because of Lineage and EQ2.

I started playing Lineage 2 in C4. It was an amazing experience back then.
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I tried all the game listed and none was good enough for me. Someone mention wow and tbc now that's when I played wow for the 1st time and still remember every day it was a new adventure. I wouldn't touch today's wow with a 10 foot pole.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    AA!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I remember playing DDO when it first came out, and i did enjoy playing it for a while, must admit every now and then i am tempted to have another go at it. :)
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2016
    Recore said:

Of that list,

Interlude was the best because it was a slightly more balanced Chronicle. C4 is all about which nuker lands silence/sleep + cancel first = win.

In terms of balancing classes, the best era of L2 was the beginning of GoD, but they fucked everything again after Tauti+.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Was playing DAOC and EQ2, just like I am now because MMOs of new suck big time.