Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Married couple deciding between ESO or WoW (long)

cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14
Long post, sorry. It's kinda more complex issue than just ESO or WOW.

I was avid MMORPG player from EQ launch to end of B.C. on WOW.  Couple days back I decided to load up WoW since I seen ya could pay with gold for subscription. I thought might as well play for a few days. I rather enjoyed it after being gone for four years.

My wife and I are considering returning to MMORPGs. We are looking at either WoW again or buying two copies of ESO.

Now the thing is this would be mostly solo/duo play. Unless things changed the toxic community in WoW was the reason we quit. She played LoTRO before I knew her and I think she played it almost always solo. Together on WOW she got one character to max level, got her to run a 5 man pug, I told group "Hey this is her first run so kinda go slow". Well she screwed up of course being her first run (was a healer /facepalm) with in 5 minutes the tank flipped completely out and even had to bust out the C word. She is really shy (doesn't like using voice chat), and has really bad anxiety. I really don't see her ever being a raider or even attempting a PUG raid. We would need solid/nice guild and then she may do well. She is MUCH better gamer than me to be honest.

Myself though I use to love to raid, loved to be social, and stuck with same guild until they disbanded after B.C. I raided with other guilds but never connected with any other guild the way I had during Everquest/early WOW. We have both got old and my reflexes aren't what they use to be. So there is that also....

So finally meat and potatoes. Which would we be better off with? WoW has a lot of things we both absolutely love. Crafting, pet/mount collecting,  we like the cartoonish graphics, farming, making gold, hell I even like archeology! Literally spending 4 hours listening to the radio farming a pet slime is oddly fun to me. Pet battles and Garrisons has been added though haven't seen them first hand. So seems like outside of grouping/raiding there is ton of stuff to do. I know though WoWs true end game is instances/raiding. Without it your character ends up being max level but subpar compared to everyone else. That is my main issue against WoW. Also I worry due to her experiences before and anxiety it might not even be possible to raid. With Legion coming out between two of us that is 100 dollars that could be wasted..

Then we come to ESO. Last I recall of this game was at launch and everyone hated it. Now it seems though it has gotten better. I have done bit of research on it and it appears that character progression can be done without ever raiding. You really don't need anyone and can still not be "subpar" like you would be with WoW without raiding. The question is though, are the things I like to do like pet/mount collecting, farming for crafting, making gold even if ya don't need it, etc etc in ESO? My fear with ESO is basically it's going to be just mainly questing and questing alone without much more to do aside from crafting here and there.

We also tried GW2 at launch. For whatever reason didn't hold us and last I read the gear grind was through 5 man dungeons there now too. LoTRO I tried but I couldn't get into.

Any help would be appreciated and also sorry for length of the post. We aren't rich as I had to quit work recently due to an injury so money is tight :)

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2016
    ESO has reportedly got miles better and my wife and I would give it a second go but for a few problems we had with the game teaming side of things. My wife and I didnt stick with ESO because of forced solo play for parts of the game/story. We like to play 99% of our content teamed and you just wont be able to do that with ESO. Some says its not a big deal but it was a deal breaker for us. WoW and ESO both use heavy phasing so if you are not on the same step of the quest you will be separated. WoW just did a better job at this. Phasing didnt change in WoW till you handed in, where ESO some quest picking up the last node for a quest would put you into a new phase and again you are split up and cant help each other finish the quest you started together. For some, no biggie, for my wife and I, well we never looked back. 

EDIT: So phasing can separate you and some parts of the story you are forced to solo
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I think ESO would be a better fit for you guys. No raiding required, great questing, pets, mounts, crafting, pvp, it's got all the mmorpg elements.

I like how, being skill based, I dont feel the need to have alts. I can respec into other skill lines as I wish. At a gold cost of course.

They also announced that they're going to be making changes to where you'll be able to experience the content easier via scaling.
    (http://kotaku.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-rolls-out-worldwide-level-scal-1781860315)

Not to mention in ESO you can be a vampire or werewolf in addition to your other skill lines.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You really can't go wrong with WoW.  There's 13 years of content to play through, dozens of races and classes to level up, pets out the yin-yang and no need to raid if you really don't want to.

But then again, ESO, from what I glean is pretty much a solo game with coop play, so it could also be a good choice.

I think if I were to try to get my wife into MMO's again after the SWTOR debacle, then it would be WoW.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    ESO for sure.  More modern, better quests, much more old-school progression with skills etc.  It's a blast to play with someone else outside of dungeons.
  • cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Thanks everyone for responses so far really appreciate it! I've done bit more reading on ESO. Now things like Veteran Dungeons. Is this something that is going to put us back in place we are trying to avoid with WoW? Like with WoW it's kinda given max level then off ya go to dungeons. Is that the same with ESO? A lot of what I am reading is a bit dated. Like veteran points though I hear they are being removed?
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited June 2016
    If you don't hate wow or have a grudge against it like some people here do. I'd say go for WoW.

Despite some people saying there is nothing to do, thats just false. There are tons of quests and stories if you bother to follow them. There are thousands of achievments to hunt for, mounts and pets to collect, pet battles. Soon the new transmog system comes online too with thousands of outfits to collect.

Longevity wise I'd say WoW.  ESO can be fun for a while but I find the world and characters very boring.

EDIT: Also you don't need to raid at all in WoW to progress your character. You won't have the best item level, but if you don't raid you don't need it anyway.  And in Legion there is supposedly a lot more dungeon and world content to do outside of raiding.
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    edited June 2016
    I would go with FFXIV very friendly also when in dungeons its a very good community  .  Did play eso and wow to but if you want tab target style mmorpg eso is not the one tho its a good game , and wow is also a great game but aging and community is realy bad but if you want wow style gameplay i would realy try out ffxiv .
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Doesn't matter with either game.  They both have players that are toxic.  That being said, they both have those good friendly guilds also.  Any game for that matter.  Just pick a game and take your time researching that super friendly just have fun guild.  :)

My wife played wow with me.  I told her to play a hunter as her first character, which helped her level a lot easier when i wasn't on.  However, first raid i took her on, she forgot to put pet on passive, insta pulled a bunch of crap and wiped the raid.  Everyone knew that was her first raid, and it was a guild raid.  Everyone laughed, told her it was ok.  We explained what happened and she soon got over her embarrassment.  After about a year, she was always the top dps and always managed to be critical on what I was doing wrong.
    Haroo!
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    If you like doing dungeons then if I had to pick from those two, I'd pick ESO as you can duo some of the open ones without relying on other people.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    My wife and I played ESO for a bit, it's very much a single player RPG game with co-op elements in it as people have already pointed out. It also gets boring quickly, but I can't put my finger on exactly why.
  • A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    ESO makes a great casual game  Ive played since beta and its held my interest but then again im a take in all the sights type of person in a game and never rush to just grind and hit max exp.I also Played Lotro as well as Gw2  

And as you I enjoy crafting as well  so much so made a small guild for those that enjoy casual gaming and have kept a guild trader up and running .  MMOS are all about finding the right group or mix of players  if you go to ESO send me a message .

• cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Again thanks for the help everyone! I am going to talk about it tonight with her. A1learjet if we decide to go the ESO route I'll for sure get a hold of you.

I did little more research with ESO and when it comes to collecting/farming mounts/vanity pets is this stuff you do in the world because most of the things I see are actually bought from the store. A lot of information again is going back to 2014-2015 though.

When I am home alone I really love just putting on headphones, listening to music, and chilling out farming. No combat just roaming around mining, getting worthless achievements, running old dungeons, just mindless stuff. It's just stress reliever.

With WoW I know it's got those things but like I said I know it's going to end up being "Run instances!". I read someone beta testing Legion part of being able to fly in the expansion will require them.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    My wife doesn't always want to play, so I found myself roaming about doing things alone. There are a lot of quests that appear when you enter a certain area and it's tough not to just click it and complete it. There is always the pvp stuff, but you will get exp from that and end up out leveling your wife, that's what I ended up doing and mine got mad at me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If you plan to level together.......WOW.

Otherwise if it's you get online when you do and the spouse gets on line another time and sometimes you are on together......ESO.
  • LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    edited June 2016
    None..

Both are glorified console games with on rails in-a-box progression, 6 years-old child dificulty and never-die instantgratification that nothing has to do with a MMORPG actually (WoW was much better 8 years ago) , boredom will be the result as its supposed to be...

I highly recommend you get out of MMORPG market as the vast majority of us did and play some good League of Legends matches if you can stand some toxic people sometimes or shoot people in Overwatch or similars. Hell, even playing minecraft is more fun than any mmorpg right now.

Just get out of here, it doesnt worth your time anymore...

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162
    ESO for certain if you both are going to play together. My wife and I play all MMO's together. Some one said they can not explain it but ESO can get "boring" all of a sudden and they do not know why... us either. I mean it can but all of the games can when you just wreck content. I met my wife on Neverwinter NIghts (the original) and have went thru SWG, Matrix, Aion, WoW, Star Wars: The Old Republic (which we still frequent from time to time) and SO many others. By far when it comes to duo playing, ESO has been our "go to" game. 

Some here said if you are not on the same quest (in terms of time line) then you will be phased away from one another, but since you claim to do it all together anyways, that shouldn't be an issue.  Not to mention they are adding more content into ESO very soon, Including housing and they are taking away faction limits (unless you pvp). Meaning you do not have to be on the same side, but you will have to meet up together if you are not and get matching quests. Long story short, (too late heh), ESO since those are the two choices you care about.
  • kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Sorry, this is super long and a mess but I hope it might help you a little!

If you need a game RIGHT NOW, then I'd recommend ESO. If you are willing to wait the 2ish months for Legion, that might be a better fit.

WoW might get better with Legion, but I don't know for certain. I love grouping but no matter what I did the other month I resubbed the groups were so toxic. Was a waste of a sub. I think the old BC and even WOTLK days of community are long gone. Most of my friends quit and I never really met anyone else since everyone is just a temporary meet and never see or care about them again. Blizz seems very interested in doing pristine realms, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I also doubt many people would want to completely restart a character.

ESO was very solo based for me, but they've made improvements to grouping supposedly. I only quested alone, so I can't say how being on different quests might impact you. I will admit that the ESO community is really amazing. I've never had anyone be toxic or mean to me. I tried to get a werewolf bite and most people wanted me to pay. So I sat in front of the shrine and some guy bit me "just cause". Was just fun talking to people randomly!
    • When I am home alone I really love just putting on headphones, listening to music, and chilling out farming. No combat just roaming around mining, getting worthless achievements, running old dungeons, just mindless stuff. It's just stress reliever. 
    ESO is pretty good for this, with the new crafting bags for subbers, I get so distracted literally collecting everything. Since you can level all professions, the mats will be useful. The world is really pretty and the weather/daynight is a nice touch, so makes gathering enjoyable for me.

Sadly the mounts thing is true. If you're huge into cosmetic mounts/pets ESO won't be great. On the other hand mounts aren't all that useful in PvE anyway. It's not as major as it is in WoW, since you have the wayshrines to get to where you need.

Legion will use the WoD flight achievement I'm pretty sure, which involves doing a ton of smaller achievements. Blizz really doesn't want flying but they're kinda stuck with it, so no flight at launch, should be able to get it sometime after launch in later patch.

So as for your fears, you did kinda sum up ESO. It is a great game and constantly improving, but for the most part you either level by questing or level by aoe grinding. They are doing One Tamriel soon which will let you level in any zone whenever you want, that might be helpful. Mounts/pets are mostly in cash shop. You do group dungeons once for a skill point. I never saw a reason to run them again and I don't think the exp was good. They added in a daily dungeon, but I don't think I ever did it. Veteran Ranks are gone. Basically you hit max level and then it was a long grind to rank up. Now it's just called Champion Points. I believe the best gear is crafted, but there might be some drops to farm for. I've never hit max level in ESO because it gets too boring, it's more ORPG than MMO. I much prefer grouping, which ESO just doesn't have.

Now Legion may actually work out for you, so don't rule it out! You will be able to do the zones in any order and be scaled together, so if one of you falls behind you can still play together. It will have a zone dedicated to just story and there will be world quests, so you can do that if you really hate raids/dungeons. 
    Here's the post on them from Blizzard:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743204177

My post is way too long as it is, so I recommended reading this summary from a guy on reddit, it should help you out.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/4gt4vi/list_of_legion_features_and_its_end_game/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    while both will be good , i will vote for WoW , legion is 2 months away so plenty of time to level the class u want to play and save the 100 boost for that class u find fun after prepatch goes live , tons of content for duos , old raids for transmog , farm mounts , dungeons , pvp , arenas ....

Legion brings ton of lore to see , just spec quests looks tons of fun , fire mage is a story , arcane is another and frost has another , add the Artifact weapons , traits and thats lots of time to have fun....not even touching leveling , dungeons , or raids ....:P oh and demon hunters hahaha

Eso wins that u have tons of content too , and is B2p , however it didnt hook me , the limited skills :/ , and the gameplay (animations and spell graphics were "meh") , i prefer flashy :3

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    World of Warcraft, you can enjoy the game together or with friends and the people are better in game too, you'll probably meet many other couples. If you play ESO, you'll probably end up divorced before you get out of the starting area.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    WoW
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I suggest that you try ESO first. Buy the base game - under $20 on Amazon in whatever currency you use - no need to subscribe. If you decide you don't like it - or play it and some weeks down the road get bored - buy WoW, pay the monthly sub etc. which may make you feel you have to play it but thats a different issue.

And when you get bored with WoW you might even decide to go back to WoW.

Some key differences: 

ESO uses megaservers (a whole 6: 1 PC, 1PS4, 1XB1 in EU and same again for US). You usually see someone pretty much wherever you are. WoW has many, many more server clusters so population density is less.  

WoW toxic? I found this as well last time I played. All about the gear grind. Looking for class X, must have x, y and z addons installed, must be i(tem)level xxx. 

ESO is essentially about horizontal character development - lots and lots of skills but they have to be unlocked, activated and then leveled! WoW vertical progression and the gear grind. Could be why WoW is more toxic imo.

ESO - probably because of its heritage - plays very well as a single player game. It is not an "mmo that has gone solo" but a "solo that has gone both co-op and mmo".