Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is ridiculously good

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
Started playing SMITE again recently after watching a top 5 plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUKbfpGX_cc&index=1&list=PLqMnSYeIWk0blS55UqqvttZHVY7FtMLaF

The game is better than ever.  Balance is probably the best in any online pvp game.  Gameplay is still unbelievably amazing.  Ambiance is funny  and fantastic as always.

No video game ever has provided me more SPM (Smiles per minute).  If it's because of a crazy play the likes of which cannot be found in other MOBAs where autos are not skillshots, or just a funny emote at an opportune time- this game delivers fun like no other.

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I agree.  Smite is the ideal game for the PVPer that prefers skill over gear.  At least as far as the assault, conquest, and arena modes are concerned.  However, it takes a special kind of someone to put up with or dish out the toxicity that usually involves with the standard three lane mode(the mode I stay from).   I have also seen a lot of douche baggery in the other PVP modes as well which is why I haven't played in while.  It's just really hard to stomach.  But yeh, great game that can potentially be ruined by the players at times unfortunately like most MOBAs from what I hear.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I played smite for a few months and never ran into a toxic person.  Maybe I was lucky.  I think players are too busy controlling their character to talk like they do in LOL, Dota.  I admit it is probably the best moba but for me I had already learned LOL and was kinda tired of the genre.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    rodingo said:
    I agree.  Smite is the ideal game for the PVPer that prefers skill over gear.  At least as far as the assault, conquest, and arena modes are concerned.  However, it takes a special kind of someone to put up with or dish out the toxicity that usually involves with the standard three lane mode(the mode I stay from).   I have also seen a lot of douche baggery in the other PVP modes as well which is why I haven't played in while.  It's just really hard to stomach.  But yeh, great game that can potentially be ruined by the players at times unfortunately like most MOBAs from what I hear.
    Yeah, toxicity and pvp tend to go hand in hand, especially in a team based game.  SMITE is pretty good compared to LOL or DOTA from what I hear, but there's still going to be jerks.  Best thing to do is just develop a thick skin or just mute toxic players.  That's harder to do when you're learning, but like I said I think it just comes with the territory unfortunately.

After awhile you begin to realize that the people that complain the most are usually the worst players.  Good players will correct you if you make a mistake, bad ones will blame you and berate you while failing themselves.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    I find SMITE really fun and one of the only recent multiplayer 3D game that runs at high FPS on my laptop, but I get bored of it pretty quickly. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The game is done very well. Probably the best part for me in the game is when certain gods kill each other and make snide remarks, like when zeus and apollo kill each other. It doesn't even stop there cause even special skins get seperate remarks so it makes it more worth getting them. They've been pretty much giving away gems recently too (cash shop currency), so its a really good game to have around when you want something that's easy to get in and out of or just to kill time in general.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited June 2016
    Have they fixed the jungle yet? That whole rotation/being a complete slave to mid lane wasn't very enjoyable when I was playing a lot. Lately I've been playing Paragon instead.

By the way the jungle portion of this post is what I'm referring to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/4d7mm3/spectator_and_jungle_issues/
    Bruhza said:
    Have they fixed the jungle yet? That whole rotation/being a complete slave to mid lane wasn't very enjoyable when I was playing a lot. Lately I've been playing Paragon instead.

I just started playing again but it looks to me like the duo jungle/mid in mid lane thing is over.  I think it's because speed buff is back so jungle can roam more easily.
    DMKano said:
    Good game - for sure.

I simply prefer DOTA2, but Smite is very good - however the playerbase remains a tiny fraction in comparison to LoL and DOTA2 which.

LoL has 60mil+ monthly unique players 
    Dota2 has around 8mil monthly unique players
    Smite has about 150K-200K monthly unique players

So what?
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Good game - for sure.

I simply prefer DOTA2, but Smite is very good - however the playerbase remains a tiny fraction in comparison to LoL and DOTA2 which.

LoL has 60mil+ monthly unique players 
    Dota2 has around 8mil monthly unique players
    Smite has about 150K-200K monthly unique players

So what?

I don't think anything I posted needs any further explaining - it's pretty cut and dry.

Masses prefer LoL (which I dislike)
    IMO Dota2 is the best MOBA 
    Smite is good

Is what I am saying that difficult to understand?

Who cares how many players it has?  Queues are fine.

Are you going to go into every thread about every MMO and tell people that WoW has more players?

I normally have you on ignore for obvious reasons, but thought I'd read a reply of yours since you responded to a thread I made.

My mistake, clearly.
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Oh Good lord... esports. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    SPM (Smiles Per Minute) is probably one of the most important things in any game.  If you enjoy it that much, then everything else be damned.  

I'm feeling that way with Overwatch right now.  When me and the 4-8 buddies that I've already made start playing together, we just have an outrageously fun time.

You simply can't measure fun, so if you're having a blast, then keep on keeping on!
    edited June 2016
    Eadan1 said:
    What is the average queue time? Does it have a reporting system or punishment for leaving games?
    Usually a minute or two.  Really not bad especially considering there are about 7 different game modes people are queuing for (queues will be longer for less popular modes).  Arena and conquest are the most popular modes.  Conquest is your typical MOBA mode with lanes and towers and stuff.  Arena is pretty much just a 5v5 constant fight which is more reminiscent of an MMO battleground.

Like a lot of people, I got into it because of Arena, coming from WoW at the time where I enjoyed Battlegrounds.  I still mostly play Arena but I do enjoy all the modes.  Each one is pretty unique.
    H0urg1ass said:
    SPM (Smiles Per Minute) is probably one of the most important things in any game.  If you enjoy it that much, then everything else be damned.  

I'm feeling that way with Overwatch right now.  When me and the 4-8 buddies that I've already made start playing together, we just have an outrageously fun time.

You simply can't measure fun, so if you're having a blast, then keep on keeping on!
    Yeah it just dawned on me while playing today- holy shit I am having fun.  I tried to think of another game that was as much fun ever and couldn't think of one.

I am looking forward to getting Overwatch too.  Definitely enjoyed that game in the Beta.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2016
    I'm just getting back into it after approximately 6 months away..  I was amazed at how many new gods they have added...  Basing the playable characters on ancient mythological gods was a stroke of genius by Hirez...  I mean, who DOESN'T want to have a battle between Hades and Osiris, or a boxing match between Apollo and Mercury???  Getting to play as Odin, Ymir, Guan Yu, Anubis...  The list goes on and on!

Also, bringing 3rd person over the shoulder into the genre was a great move.  I think, if Hirez hadn't been so behind DOTA and LoL in releasing their MOBA, they would, instead, be one of the top two MOBAs released.  Folks likes to stick with a game they know once they've learned a competitive and complex game such as MOBAs.

It's doing well on the consoles last I heard.

"YMIR IS HERE!!!"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    also if you like the game the ultimate god pack is on sale in the steam summer sale right.

It give you access to ALL current and future gods released. It is a fairly good deal. 

This have been a good conversation

Basing the playable characters on ancient mythological gods was a stroke of genius by Hirez...  
    Yeah I agree.  They basically have an unlimited supply of characters that come complete with amazing lore, all for free without having to pay rights to anybody.

I love how they infuse each one with a unique personality beyond the lore, though, too.  Like Apollo- there's no real reason he should be a cocky dweeb from the lore.  Or Ymir being so lovable.  Or Janus a robot... 

Their creative and art department is off the charts amazing.  You can tell they have a lot of fun making the game as well.
    Bruhza said:

I realized this article is about how smite should be like LOL when it comes to laning and jungle.  I disagree with this 100%.  Smite needs to cut its own path and yes it is a lot like every other moba it is also unique.  The jungle isn't broken.  It just isn't like LOL.  So what you really are saying is.  Did they change the jungle to be like LOL yet?
    Jungle's "route" changes all the time.  You can technically do whatever you want, but generally people agree on the best way to go.

When I started SMITE, jungle would stay with solo for a few waves then head to mids.  Then there was this period of staying with mid for awhile.  Currently it seems like jungle is very much a roamer and doesn't stick to any lane.

But that's just the META.  You can do whatever you want as jungle.  If you think you can steal buffs, you should.  If you can set up a gank, you should.  Nobody is forcing you to do things a certain way just because everyone else is.
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    One important part of PvP games IMO is that they should block communication inside team as well as across the team for PUGs. Having standard emotes for strictly gameplay or strategy needs on speed keys is what should suffice. 

Premades or tournaments should have all relevant comms available naturally.

Preventing toxicity will be better than curing it afterwards as well as it helps keep game community in check.
  • turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    edited June 2016
    Keep in mind that DOTA has been around since 2003, in one form or another, and LoL since 2009. Smite was released in 2014, so their player-base is naturally lower than the big two. They have a fairly robust competitive scene already, and the player-base is growing steadily, so if you are a fan, I don't think you need to worry overmuch.

For me, it's the only game I can stand to watch without going batshit crazy from boredom, and that includes watching Overwatch. I'd much rather play than watch.

T
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    edited June 2016
    smite is a nice game to play on the side (at least for me), a couple arena match a day and i'm usually done. i enjoy the game in small bursts (been playing on and off since first month of the beta back in 2012 when the game had very few (ugly) gods and a map worthy of nightmares with a single game mode). i always end up coming back to it though.

one thing i really love about this game is the plethora of amazing skins. i usually don't care much about skins and appearances in games, but you gotta give credits where credit is due and the art team in smite really deserves some praise.

seriously, some god skins are just downright hilarious (ra'merica, easter bunny bakasura and derpules to name a few) others are just gorgeous and/or incredibly well designed (jack o'lantern thanatos, secret agent appolo, ragnarok force x thor, etc).
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I didn't liked the game when it was in alpha/beta stage. The arena is alot of fun and play only that. The 3 lanes game mode isn't for me. Thanatos and Nemesis are super fun to play and are easy to handle.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
    filmoret said:
    Bruhza said:

I realized this article is about how smite should be like LOL when it comes to laning and jungle.  I disagree with this 100%.  Smite needs to cut its own path and yes it is a lot like every other moba it is also unique.  The jungle isn't broken.  It just isn't like LOL.  So what you really are saying is.  Did they change the jungle to be like LOL yet?
    No need to get aggressive.

Also, you seem to be mixing "Interesting gameplay" with "Unbalanced mess". If you think Smite needs to be truly different from LoL, then you're already too late as that is pretty much what the game was intended to be. A 3rd person LoL. Sticking up for terrible mechanics and fanboying the hell out of it is how you destroy a game.

Besides, back when I was playing this wasn't some casual problem, it was something that was truly wrong with the game fundamentally so.

If you want to see a moba actually trying, how you put it "Cut its own path", then look at Heroes of the Storm, Paragon, MxM or Gigantic. Are they all popular and successful? No, but that's what it means to take risks. Smite wasn't a risky creation, it simply filled a gap that people craved.
    Bruhza said:
    filmoret said:
    Bruhza said:

Also, you seem to be mixing "Interesting gameplay" with "Unbalanced mess". If you think Smite needs to be truly different from LoL, then you're already too late as that is pretty much what the game was intended to be. A 3rd person LoL. Sticking up for terrible mechanics and fanboying the hell out of it is how you destroy a game.

Besides, back when I was playing this wasn't some casual problem, it was something that was truly wrong with the game fundamentally so.

If you want to see a moba actually trying, how you put it "Cut its own path", then look at Heroes of the Storm, Paragon, MxM or Gigantic. Are they all popular and successful? No, but that's what it means to take risks. Smite wasn't a risky creation, it simply filled a gap that people craved.
    You are trying to say the jungle is broken.  Compared to what?  Who determined what the jungle is even for?  Where did this idea of what the jungle should be come from?  Without even realizing you are asking a game to give you a feature that comes straight from LOL.  They have a jungle and it just doesn't work the way it does in other moba's.  So why is that even a problem?  You must have a jungle in LOL.  Why do you want smite to follow this same pattern?  The forced meta in LOL is one of the major reasons for all their toxicity.  Who cares if smite doesn't create the meta and force players to use it.  For some reason you have interpreted my response as fanboism when its just common sense.
    One important part of PvP games IMO is that they should block communication inside team as well as across the team for PUGs. Having standard emotes for strictly gameplay or strategy needs on speed keys is what should suffice. 

Premades or tournaments should have all relevant comms available naturally.

Preventing toxicity will be better than curing it afterwards as well as it helps keep game community in check.
    Guess you never had someone rage and ping all over the screen for straight 5 minutes.
    filmoret said:
    Bruhza said:
    filmoret said:
    Bruhza said:

You are trying to say the jungle is broken.  Compared to what?  Who determined what the jungle is even for?  Where did this idea of what the jungle should be come from?  Without even realizing you are asking a game to give you a feature that comes straight from LOL.  They have a jungle and it just doesn't work the way it does in other moba's.  So why is that even a problem?  You must have a jungle in LOL.  Why do you want smite to follow this same pattern?  The forced meta in LOL is one of the major reasons for all their toxicity.  Who cares if smite doesn't create the meta and force players to use it.  For some reason you have interpreted my response as fanboism when its just common sense.
    Your ignorance is showing. Literally every moba has a meta, saying Smite doesn't is foolish at best.