Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussion on pvp, ganking and the life penalty

2»

Comments

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Anyone else think it is very creepy that there are 3 posters that seem to click LOL on posts together...Virtual stalkers....I have sent a personal message to one guy who was following me around LOL'ing every post of mine and reported them and they seemed to stop with the immature behavior against me but it seems they are still doing it in any COE thread...sad and very creepy!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    ESO wanted to have players confused about if it was a real player or an NPC, so they had NPC's laying dead looking like real players.  If you tried to heal them it wouldn't work.  Sometimes real players got disconnected but their characters stayed logged in or sometimes people went afk and left characters standing there.  One mother complained in GW2 because her son left his character standing where mobs keep killing him.  Players would come along and heal him which caused all his gear to degrade. 

All that to say it's hard to tell if it's a good idea or not without taking into account the rest of the games mechanics.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Depending how well the NPCs are programmed, they will cut down on gankers.  A reputation will get out and you will get attacked on sight, barred from entering towns, no one will sell you food, etc etc.  

Not to mention you won't be able to tell just from glancing at individuals if they are an NPC or a PC and there are no names floating above heads.

You're not seriously suggesting that players will not be able to tell PC's from NPC's ?

Have the CoE devs created the worlds first independent AI ?

Just observing a character ingame for a few minutes will make it absolutely obvious whether it's a scripted NPC or not. 

In every MMO I've ever played, exploits and glitches were always found by the players. No testing team can ever hope to cover everything that 100K players can dream up. Human ingenuity is boundless, as most experienced MMO players can tell you ! :D 

If you're hellbent on having a murderer character in the game, being banned from towns and trading is a minor inconvenience. Just get a second account so that your bandit can be fed by a law-abiding citizen. I'm sure there will even be players that will specialize in providing those services (at a price).
    When a player logs out they become an offline character. So NPC's and OPC's will both be AI controlled. So it way well be a lot harder to spot OPC's then you think:dizzy:

Human cheaters are boundless I agree but you should stop plying something because a few lowlifes have nothing better to do. And it really is too early for such pessimistic predictions. 

As for it being a minor inconvenience being banned from towns...in a survival game with permadeath and starvation I wouldn't be so sure. And again, you are trying to justify throwing the baby out with the bathwater just because a few cheats might do just that:confounded:

Design the most robust system you can and then if anyone cheats you take their money and ban the fuck out of them.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Reminded of a discussion with a friend who worked as a gm in an MMO:   He talked about one of the major griefer/gankers (who lead a guild of the same) that had 17 paid accounts.   When he'd act out, the business guys looked at his cash flow numbers and continually nixed any permanent ban.  The guy was certainly willing to pay the money to enjoy ruining other peoples' days. 

An extreme example, as many wouldn't (or couldn't) afford the outlay.  But griefers and gankers gravitate to games that have more possibilities for their misbegotten behavior.  We'll see if the CoE folks have the design chops to work a system that can manage that sort of thing.  I'll wait to see the proof before investing time or money.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Not many businesses would ban the person who is spending a lot of money on their game.  Most do nothing until the complaints reach epic level.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Anyone else think it is very creepy that there are 3 posters that seem to click LOL on posts together...Virtual stalkers....I have sent a personal message to one guy who was following me around LOL'ing every post of mine and reported them and they seemed to stop with the immature behavior against me but it seems they are still doing it in any COE thread...sad and very creepy!
    If the awesome or agree or insightful buttons are used is it still creepy?

Are these buttons not to be used?  Wait, they are, you gets 'badges' for the number of times people use those buttons on your posts.

Perhaps what you are saying is funny or absurd or clueless or some other emotion in their eyes and makes them want to click the LoL button?
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Kyleran said:
    One consideration is what if gankers/griefers turn out to not be some minor group and in fact are a substantial percentage of the paying customers?
    When the sheep are scarce, wolves will eat wolves.

Griefers / gankers will need a source of infrastructure and supply, and will either have to protect some town or group of players interested in supplying that infrastructure, or they'll adopt those players into their own clans and become more than gankers / griefers -- they'll become fully fledged and self-sustaining entities so that they can prey upon the only people left to prey upon: other gankers and griefers, whom likely will have evolved in the same fashion.

It solves itself.
    Vucar said:
    Kyleran said:
    One consideration is what if gankers/griefers turn out to not be some minor group and in fact are a substantial percentage of the paying customers?

Griefers / gankers will need a source of infrastructure and supply, and will either have to protect some town or group of players interested in supplying that infrastructure, or they'll adopt those players into their own clans and become more than gankers / griefers -- they'll become fully fledged and self-sustaining entities so that they can prey upon the only people left to prey upon: other gankers and griefers, whom likely will have evolved in the same fashion.

It solves itself.
    what the foo ever dude.

Again with this idea of I say enough times it makes it true

Assumptions and misconceptions abound in this.
    1. Assumption that there will be a need for infrastructure and/or supply.
    2. Misconception that players who like to pk do not also participate in infrastructure and/or supply
    3. Misconception that pk clans cannot have infrastructure and/or supply and be considered pk clans

It's been debunked multiple times on multiple boards, yet you still trumpet this mantra constantly.  The best part is you continue to accuse others of having a myopic view of the game.

What a joke.

Vucar said:
    Kyleran said:

It solves itself.
    what the foo ever dude.

Again with this idea of I say enough times it makes it true

Assumptions and misconceptions abound in this.
    1. Assumption that there will be a need for infrastructure and/or supply.
    2. Misconception that players who like to pk do not also participate in infrastructure and/or supply
    3. Misconception that pk clans cannot have infrastructure and/or supply and be considered pk clans

It's been debunked multiple times on multiple boards, yet you still trumpet this mantra constantly.  The best part is you continue to accuse others of having a myopic view of the game.

What a joke.

This is where terminology breaks down and clear definitions need to be established.

You describe pk clans as groups who can focus on pvp and still maintain a protected base, with food provided for everyone as well as providing all of their equipment. I would say that sounds like more than just a group of gankers -- thats a group with something to lose.

No one in CoE is guaranteed "starter sword and armor" when they die and come back. No one is even guaranteed to always have a home to go back to, if they piss off the wrong people.

My original point to Kyleran was pointing out that he need not worry about "reds" being in the majority, because even they will need to build something they can lose if they want to self sustain: They'll need armor, weapons, food, housing, horses, clothes and more. Maybe individually they can provide some of those things for themselves, but if their focus is on pvp, it will probably be low quality or slow to get. If you want to be competitive in pvp, you need top-notch crafters. If your character is top-notch at crafting, they'll be sub-par at fighting (in that life).

There won't be anyone doing any raiding or marauding in this game with nothing to lose. 
    Vucar said:
    This is where terminology breaks down and clear definitions need to be established.

You describe pk clans as groups who can focus on pvp and still maintain a protected base, with food provided for everyone as well as providing all of their equipment. I would say that sounds like more than just a group of gankers -- thats a group with something to lose.

No one in CoE is guaranteed "starter sword and armor" when they die and come back. No one is even guaranteed to always have a home to go back to, if they piss off the wrong people.

My original point to Kyleran was pointing out that he need not worry about "reds" being in the majority, because even they will need to build something they can lose if they want to self sustain: They'll need armor, weapons, food, housing, horses, clothes and more. Maybe individually they can provide some of those things for themselves, but if their focus is on pvp, it will probably be low quality or slow to get. If you want to be competitive in pvp, you need top-notch crafters. If your character is top-notch at crafting, they'll be sub-par at fighting (in that life).

There won't be anyone doing any raiding or marauding in this game with nothing to lose. 
    What I am not doing is assuming.

You, on the other hand, have supersized your assumption fries.

You came up with this weird-ass scenario on how the game is going to play out and wont let it go.
    There is zero proof that this is how any of it will work which leads right back to.... If I say it enough times it makes it true.

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Vucar said:

What I am not doing is assuming.

You, on the other hand, have supersized your assumption fries.

You came up with this weird-ass scenario on how the game is going to play out and wont let it go.
    There is zero proof that this is how any of it will work which leads right back to.... If I say it enough times it makes it true.

He hasn't come up with an assumption he is taking what the devs say. At present that's all we have and therefore it is how the game will play until we see something to the contrary. 

Your theory also works for your own comments.

Just because you say it isn't true all the time doesn't mean it isn't true. 

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

He hasn't come up with an assumption he is taking what the devs say. At present that's all we have and therefore it is how the game will play until we see something to the contrary. 

CoE devs haven't said that. 

He is taking multiple 'source materials' and selectively combining them into his vision:Vucar's World, then telling everyone that Vucar's World how this game is going to work.

Vucar's World has been debunked multiple times on multiple boards, yet he still trumpets his vision constantly.  The best part is he continues to accuse others of having a myopic view of the game.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

History is written by those who write it. -said the winner winner chicken dinner

CoE devs haven't said that. 

He is taking multiple 'source materials' and selectively combining them into his vision:Vucar's World, then telling everyone that Vucar's World how this game is going to work.

Vucar's World has been debunked multiple times on multiple boards, yet he still trumpets his vision constantly.  The best part is he continues to accuse others of having a myopic view of the game.

If everything i've said has been debunked "multiple times on multiple boards", please link me to your sources of proof...

Link me to any of them.

Even just one.
    edited June 2016
    You. Prove. It.

You prove through links that way you say is 100% accurate.

I'll wait.

I find it rather amusing you always go this route.  You make these grand unsubstantiated proclamations and as soon as someone says you be crazy....
    you demand;
    links
    links
    links.

Link yours.  Show your proof.
    You are the one making grand proclamations

T minus 10 for the "yeah what I thought you ain't got no links I'm right" line
    You. Prove. It.

I'll wait.

I find it rather amusing you always go this route.  You make these grand unsubstantiated proclamations and as soon as someone says you be crazy....
    you demand;
    links
    links
    links.

We're on a CoE board. My information is based on what has been said about CoE. 

If you want to argue that this information has been refuted or outdated, the onus is on you. 

But yeah thats what i thought you ain't got no links i'm right.
    Vucar said:
    You. Prove. It.

I'll wait.

you demand;
    links
    links
    links.

We're on a CoE board. My information is based on what has been said about CoE. 

If you want to argue that this information has been refuted or outdated, the onus is on you. 

But yeah thats what i thought you ain't got no links i'm right.
    Exactly we are on a CoE board and I refute your claims.

Prove
    Me
    Wrong!

But yeah that's what I thought you ain't got no links I'm right.

Whoa this is easy.