Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What AdBlockers are you all using? Of course, browsers too.

ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

I stopped using Adblock Plus because it just wasn't working anymore for some sites. I've heard uBlock Origin is good, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

I was wondering if any of you guys have a better idea about which adblocker app to use? I don't really care of it's for chrome or firefox, as I use both, so long as it works.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've noticed a lot of sites are working around AdBlock. I haven't found a better alternative yet though.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I'm using Adguard Adblocker now.

Seems to block more than adblock plus.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I've been using uBlock Origin on both browsers.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I don't use ad blockers as that interferes with how the sites make money.

Just like I expect to get paid for my work, the people who run the sites also want to get a paycheck.

If the ads are interfering with the site I let the site know. If they ads cause issues I just don't go to the site.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Opera with it's built in ad-blocker
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    None. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I don't block self-hosted ads. Third party ad servers are not to be trusted. Even Google has had issues. They're just too large to effectively police everything that's uploaded. Not running an adblocker is almost as bad as not running with a firewall or an anti-virus. It's simply too risky.

Once AdBlock Plus went evil I switched to Request Policy. Sadly that's not yet available for Chrome.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I think I'm going to start using ad blocker on my phone since the direction of video advertisements eat my small little allotment of data like candy.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2016
    You know...for a site like ours, a mid-level small-staff news site that fills a needed space beneath all the corporate giants, it's a pretty harsh conversation to have when we NEED your support. While I get it that they are used elsewhere, it's painful to see this discussion here. :( We have families to feed too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    SBFord said:
    You know...for a site like ours, a mid-level small-staff news site that fills a needed space beneath all the corporate giants, it's a pretty harsh conversation to have when we NEED your support. While I get it that they are used elsewhere, it's painful to see this discussion here. :(
    From what I can tell you guys have ads built into the site though, that adblockers can't get rid of, so you should be making at least something off of that. I personally don't use an adblock on this webpage, but when I turn it on I still see the background ad of riders of icarus.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited June 2016
    SBFord said:
    You know...for a site like ours, a mid-level small-staff news site that fills a needed space beneath all the corporate giants, it's a pretty harsh conversation to have when we NEED your support. While I get it that they are used elsewhere, it's painful to see this discussion here. :( We have families to feed too.
    While I understand your stance on this, I run an ad block just because I am tired of sites having more ads than content.  This is true about most sites now.  If it is a site that I deem worthy of my support I will usually disable the ad block.  When half a page is full of ads then I tend to turn it on and leave it on, but it is my right to decided when I am going to be bothered by ads for things I could care less about. 

Its one thing to openly ask for support and another to try and get it without asking which is what ads do. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Cogohi said:
    Not running an adblocker is almost as bad as not running with a firewall or an anti-virus. It's simply too risky.

I have friends who are so paranoid that they have the largest and most convoluted passwords, they use ad blockers and anything else that will protect them. Yet they seem to be the people who have the most issues with viruses and the like.

I just use common sense, and rarely have any issues. I run my virus software and usually have nothing.

There must be some correlation between the "hyper vigilant" and what sites they are going to that have issues.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Cogohi said:
    I don't block self-hosted ads. Third party ad servers are not to be trusted. Even Google has had issues. They're just too large to effectively police everything that's uploaded. Not running an adblocker is almost as bad as not running with a firewall or an anti-virus. It's simply too risky.

Once AdBlock Plus went evil I switched to Request Policy. Sadly that's not yet available for Chrome.

Trying out Request Policy rn. Seems pretty good. Thanks! :)
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

Everything has a equal and opposite reaction. Websites increase the amount of advertisements for more revenue, customers produce ad blocking software.  The worst is the websites that block out the entire website so you need to watch or look at some ad before even getting to the site. Its a delicate balance to be sure. Like avoiding ad riddled sites altogether. hmmmm yin and yang....

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    I use AdBlock Plus, mainly because it was what I found available in Opera before Opera added built-in ad-blocking.  I do check the box to allow non-obtrusive advertising.

I also whitelist a lot of the sites I visit, including this one.  I do appreciate that sites need money, and would like for those that provide good content to get the money they need.  The first time I visit a site that doesn't look like one of the blatant clickbait sites, I'll generally try whitelisting the site and seeing how it goes.  Sometimes they have to get taken off the whitelist very quickly, though:

-ads that auto-forward you away from the site you were visiting
    -ads that cover up or otherwise obscure content
    -auto-play videos with audio on pages whose real content is text (I'm okay with video ads for video content)
    -anything that makes the anti-virus software intervene

The new thing on some site seems to be that if you block their ads, where they would put ads, they have messages saying, please whitelist us.  To which I say, if your real ads weren't so much worse than those messages, I would.

The basic rule of ads is that they shouldn't overwhelm the content.  If getting to your site's content is a pain because ads are on the way, that's basically telling visitors to either block the ads or go away.

I tend to leave ad-blocking on on sites that I figure won't care.  Sites that exist to sell you products (e.g., Amazon) probably aren't going to be buried in ads that make it hard to figure out what they're selling.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    I use Adblockplus and I have NoScript installed but not turned on currently.  Hasn't been for a good while unless I am visiting some place I don't trust at all.  Currently I'm getting one ad banner up top next to the mmorpg bar with 2 ads in it. Then an ad bar just below the quick comment with 3 ads on it.  I am honestly not sure about the rest of the site. If I turn no script on. I get nothing. I've never put any sites on whitelist. Just never thought about it. However I guess I should whitelist mmorpg.com.  I just remember all the infected banners from the past on this site.  It's actually one of the core reasons I switched to FireFox AdBlock and NoScript years ago.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    SBFord said:
    You know, if there were a paid option for a few bucks a year to turn off ads, I would in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm just an old school grump who prefers subs to F2P.