Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game not getting more attention?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2016
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mardukk said:
    I really didn't enjoy elite D.  Horrible controls and hours upon hours of learning to pilot/land the damn spacecraft.  I'm not sure an actual spaceship would be more complicated and annoying.

I don't see ED as a viable alternative to anything honestly.
    thing is the excitement level for ED and for NMS where both set before people even played them.

Meaning the people who have been excited about NMS have not been excited for ED even before they played ED or NMS for that matter...ha!

that is how marketing works :)
    Actually, no it isn't how marketing works.  The goal of marketing is to establish a long term return for a specific product.  Hype on the other hand, is aimed more at the short term.  What you are describing is Hype not marketing.  The two terms are not interchangeable.

You can use Hype to help with marketing, generally blogging about, talking about, generating discussion about a topic on a personal level is hype.  Marketing is aimed at the big picture and is more enduring.  Think water cooler conversation = Hype, and Massive media presentation (TV commercials) as advertising.

Hope that helps.

imo: hype without marketing (or facts) = bad.  Marketing (using hype sourced on fact as a booster) = good. 
    let me try this again
     People where excited about playing NMS BEFORE the game was even out.
    Same people where NOT excited about playing ED BEFORE the game was even out.

marketing does that in very clever ways

its NOT..I repeat NOT the NMS fans who got excited about ED, then bought it and where disapointed. NO..its NOT that way, NMS fans where not excited about ED in the FIRST PLACE, and then reluctantly bought the game and found reasons to not like it then ASSUMED that NMS would be better in those aspects without even playing NMS

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mardukk said:
    I really didn't enjoy elite D.  Horrible controls and hours upon hours of learning to pilot/land the damn spacecraft.  I'm not sure an actual spaceship would be more complicated and annoying.

thing is the excitement level for ED and for NMS where both set before people even played them.

Meaning the people who have been excited about NMS have not been excited for ED even before they played ED or NMS for that matter...ha!

Actually, no it isn't how marketing works.  The goal of marketing is to establish a long term return for a specific product.  Hype on the other hand, is aimed more at the short term.  What you are describing is Hype not marketing.  The two terms are not interchangeable.

You can use Hype to help with marketing, generally blogging about, talking about, generating discussion about a topic on a personal level is hype.  Marketing is aimed at the big picture and is more enduring.  Think water cooler conversation = Hype, and Massive media presentation (TV commercials) as advertising.

Hope that helps.

imo: hype without marketing (or facts) = bad.  Marketing (using hype sourced on fact as a booster) = good. 
    let me try this again

its NOT..I repeat NOT the NMS fans who got excited about ED, then bought it and where disapointed. NO..its NOT that way, NMS fans where not excited about ED in the FIRST PLACE, and then reluctantly bought the game and found reasons to not like it then ASSUMED that NMS would be better in those aspects without even playing NMS

Why are you throwing out these wildly unsupported theories as factual evidence. If you were in tune with the forums here, right at this site, you'd know that there are MANY people who are fans of ED who are excited about NMS. Similarly, there are MANY people who are fans of ED who are also interested in seeing how SC turns out. So tell me how it is that you're drawing the conclusion that it's not NMS fans who got excited about ED? Where's the market research? Where's even a verifiable article written by an industry insider? Based on the anecdotal evidence that can be found on the forums, I think you would need to give a little more factual evidence to make what you're saying more than opinion.

It's fine if what you're stating is opinion, but say that. Instead you're talking like you're a professional marketer, when you've already said before you're a web developer. Not only two completely different spectrums as far as work is concerned, but also personality types. 

So, here, let me fix this for you:
    "People were excited about playing NMS BEFORE the game was even out." (Correct, that is an assertion that actually works. It's not quantifiable, meaning you can't say how many people were excited, but it's fairly well accepted that someone, at least one person, was interested in NMS)

Second sentence is where you fall down. 
    "Same people where NOT excited about playing ED BEFORE the game was even out. " 
    This is a very dangerous assumption. First of all, the games are both in the same genre with similar feature sets as far as a space sim, and getting out and walking around, etc. So simply within the genre itself, you WILL have some people interested in both. There were a total of 25,000 backers of ED. These people were DEFINITELY excited about ED, at least enough to back it early on. Then, there are 750,000 owners of ED on Steam. So are you saying that these people were NOT interested in ED Before it came out? These people were all duped into it? Or is there a possibility that MAYBE, just maybe, there is a cross section of people who were excited about both games? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• FuffensteinFuffenstein Member UncommonPosts: 39
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tbh this game is going to win over all the other space games..... why you ask? ease of access!

I think NMS is going to be a "pick up and play.....
    this is EXACTLY what I am talking about that marketing has on people.

How does anyone even know its going to be a 'pcik up and play' game. nope, doesn't matter, we will state it as fact.

Just like when the first video came out and all we saw was a space ship coming into orbit and the developer literally saying NOTHING about features. people just started making up features and stating them as facts.

how does that happen? very clever, gorilla/covert...marketing
    Well the things i'm talking about aint based of the first video they released, its based on the TONS of hour long interviews with Sean Murray where he explains most of the content features of NMS. There really a lot of content rich interviews and gameplay videos on the internet by now..
    However all those long interviews came more than a year AFTER people where loosing sleep with excitement over a information void of which people like me where asking for references to details of which nobody could provide. At least that is how I recall
    That i can agree with, i didn't make any conclusions about features and gameplay before i saw those interviews tho :) I'm just loving what i've seen so far, and I'm excited to play it. An by what I've seen so far it seems way more easier to pick up and play than Elite Dangerous, but again that's just my opinion. :)
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It is possible to encounter another player. Just extraordinarily unlikely.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Akulas said:
    They pretty much admitted that it isn't possible in the last few interviews. Unless they have delayed in order to add the ability to actually see other player characters. (that's a lot of back end netcode to write in a very short time frame...)

They said you can see a "shadow" of other players. Meaning the back end database is updated with the effects of other players, naming species etc. but you can't actually interact or see other players.

They should have been more open at the start instead of hiding behind the "it's so vast" you will never see anyone else...
    Kyleran said:
    Not really a MMO so no real interest from me at least.
    and not Multiplayer either.
  • BrorimBrorim Member UncommonPosts: 91
    wireded21 said:
    Akulas said:
    They pretty much admitted that it isn't possible in the last few interviews.
    Support that claim with a quote .. 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/

If you do actually find your friend or another player it's  not just a shadow.  This June vid explains how it works and puts it in perspective on just how unlikely it will be to meet anther player.

Brorim said:
    wireded21 said:
    Akulas said:
    He can't because it's not true, watch my vid I've posted.

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mardukk said:

Hope that helps.

let me try this again

Why are you throwing out these wildly unsupported theories as factual evidence. If you were in tune with the forums here, right at this site, you'd know that there are MANY people who are fans of ED who are excited about NMS. 
    not ONCE I have encountered such a poster, not one time. Anytime the two games come up its always 'NMS' for the win, the other games are meh..including....ED

edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tbh this game is going to win over all the other space games..... why you ask? ease of access!

I think NMS is going to be a "pick up and play.....
    this is EXACTLY what I am talking about that marketing has on people.

How does anyone even know its going to be a 'pcik up and play' game. nope, doesn't matter, we will state it as fact.

Just like when the first video came out and all we saw was a space ship coming into orbit and the developer literally saying NOTHING about features. people just started making up features and stating them as facts.

how does that happen? very clever, gorilla/covert...marketing
    Well the things i'm talking about aint based of the first video they released, its based on the TONS of hour long interviews with Sean Murray where he explains most of the content features of NMS. There really a lot of content rich interviews and gameplay videos on the internet by now..
    However all those long interviews came more than a year AFTER people where loosing sleep with excitement over a information void of which people like me where asking for references to details of which nobody could provide. At least that is how I recall
    That i can agree with, i didn't make any conclusions about features and gameplay before i saw those interviews tho :) I'm just loving what i've seen so far, and I'm excited to play it. An by what I've seen so far it seems way more easier to pick up and play than Elite Dangerous, but again that's just my opinion. :)
    you are one of the very few that have made that claim and I suspect only because I bring it up.
     The standard forumla as been:
      'NMS is going to be so amazing I am about to explode with excitement'
    'oh yeah? what can you do in the game'
    silence....

now clearly that has changed in the last few months because we now have actual information about the game but before that people where literally falling over themselves with excitement over one video of a guy flying around and landing on a planet with no voice description all in a world that to me looks like a cartoon.

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

let me try this again

Why are you throwing out these wildly unsupported theories as factual evidence. If you were in tune with the forums here, right at this site, you'd know that there are MANY people who are fans of ED who are excited about NMS. 
    not ONCE I have encountered such a poster, not one time. Anytime the two games come up its always 'NMS' for the win, the other games are meh..including....ED

Really? Well I suggest that you maybe expand your research. Or at least show some research if you're going to make wild and crazy assertions. It's actually quite easy to find quotes on here of people saying that they'll wait to buy NMS or that NMS is not for them. However, it's equally easy to find people on here saying that NMS looks great and they'll probably play it and they've played/are playing ED, and/or they are waiting on SC. 

So, while I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I can say unequivocally that, NO when the two games come up it's not always "NMS for the win". Just go ahead and google some results for this site. It will take less than 15 minutes of your life to realize that you're wrong. I'm not saying that there are not NMS fans. I'm not saying there aren't people who would prefer NMS over ED. However, to suggest that people who bring up both ALWAYS say "NMS for the win" is hilariously flawed. Honestly, I'm not even sure where you came up with it, unless it's completely anecdotal. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

let me try this again

Really? Well I suggest that you maybe expand your research. Or at least show some research if you're going to make wild and crazy assertions. It's actually quite easy to find quotes on here of people saying that they'll wait to buy NMS or that NMS is not for them. However, it's equally easy to find people on here saying that NMS looks great and they'll probably play it and they've played/are playing ED, and/or they are waiting on SC. 

So, while I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I can say unequivocally that, NO when the two games come up it's not always "NMS for the win". Just go ahead and google some results for this site. It will take less than 15 minutes of your life to realize that you're wrong. I'm not saying that there are not NMS fans. I'm not saying there aren't people who would prefer NMS over ED. However, to suggest that people who bring up both ALWAYS say "NMS for the win" is hilariously flawed. Honestly, I'm not even sure where you came up with it, unless it's completely anecdotal. 
    lol...yeah right I am the only one on the forums that is allowed to make a statement without 3 reference sources to back it up....lol

Brorim said:
    wireded21 said:
    Akulas said:
    mmm that video is full of multiplayer interaction...actually no, it's not..... Post a video showing some interaction or even some other players being visible.

Even Steam has changed the store page to only show Single Player now.

Tell me also, when you touch one those giant mystical stones as he did in the video, the player falls asleep and then awakens just a few seconds later but in the game world it is now night instead of day because the time lapse would a be little annoying to have to sit through... does it also become night for everyone else on that planet? just a few players stood nearby... the whole universe of players.... It's a single player experience but it shares back end data for discoveries etc.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    @seanmcad Its because you have a huge history of making wild claims and asking everyone else to support their claims but never your own.
  • Mouloxtos85Mouloxtos85 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    This game has gotten a lot of attention. I hope it's as good as it sounds and not a huge let down..
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I normally try to be optimistic, but there is no way this game will live up to the hype that surrounds it. Many people seem to forget what a "procedural system" entails.

Check Starbound for reference.
    @seanmcad Its because you have a huge history of making wild claims and asking everyone else to support their claims but never your own.
    I am afraid that if some feel 'I havent heard one person say they were hype about ED who were also hyped about NMS' as a 'wild claim' then too bad because I am not going to do that. I also think that there are far more 'wild claims' here on this site such as 'more proove that VR is dead' for example

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

let me try this again

lol...yeah right I am the only one on the forums that is allowed to make a statement without 3 reference sources to back it up....lol

I don't think that's the problem. The problem is that you make wildly inaccurate statements. If you actually made unsupported claims that were halfway believable, then you might not get called out on it so much. So if you feel like you're the only one on the forums being asked to provide 3 references, then maybe it's YOU who is the problem, no? Either that, or you can continue believing that everyone is just out to get you because you're always right. My guess is that's the path you'll take. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

wireded21 said:
    Brorim said:
    wireded21 said:
    Akulas said:
    mmm that video is full of multiplayer interaction...actually no, it's not..... Post a video showing some interaction or even some other players being visible.

Even Steam has changed the store page to only show Single Player now.

Tell me also, when you touch one those giant mystical stones as he did in the video, the player falls asleep and then awakens just a few seconds later but in the game world it is now night instead of day because the time lapse would a be little annoying to have to sit through... does it also become night for everyone else on that planet? just a few players stood nearby... the whole universe of players.... It's a single player experience but it shares back end data for discoveries etc.

That's my

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

let me try this again

I don't think that's the problem. The problem is that you make wildly inaccurate statements. If you actually made unsupported claims that were halfway believable, then you might not get called out on it so much. So if you feel like you're the only one on the forums being asked to provide 3 references, then maybe it's YOU who is the problem, no? Either that, or you can continue believing that everyone is just out to get you because you're always right. My guess is that's the path you'll take. 

to be clear I am going to say this once.

I dont care bro. move on I will state whatever I want without proove all I want to

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mardukk said:

Hope that helps.

let me try this again

You can try it as many times as you want, at the end of the day you are still wrong.  You spout wild conjecture unsupported with any facts and your definitions are lacking in the extreme.  You run your uninformed mouth trying to spout opinion as fact and you have ,to this point, in any conversation I have seen you in on this board failed to back anything you have said up.  All you essentially do is yell louder until people just get sick of reading your BS and then move on.

Until you have some fact you are nothing more than a loud mouth, that sounds like a drunk vaguely arguing some point you think you know something about. Your opinion matters and that is cool but at some point you are going to have to bring a fact or two into the conversation or you are irrelevant. If you are trying to get minimized on these forums you are dong a great job, if you feel like you want to make a contribution in a meaningful way to a conversation then grow up a bit and do that. Stomping your feet and being pissy pretty much constantly isn't doing that.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited June 2016
    Hatefull said:

You can try it as many times as you want, at the end of the day you are still wrong.  You spout wild conjecture unsupported with any facts and your definitions are lacking in the extreme.  You run your uninformed mouth trying to spout opinion as fact and you have ,to this point, in any conversation I have seen you in on this board failed to back anything you have said up.  All you essentially do is yell louder until people just get sick of reading your BS and then move on.

Until you have some fact you are nothing more than a loud mouth, that sounds like a drunk vaguely arguing some point you think you know something about. Your opinion matters and that is cool but at some point you are going to have to bring a fact or two into the conversation or you are irrelevant. If you are trying to get minimized on these forums you are dong a great job, if you feel like you want to make a contribution in a meaningful way to a conversation then grow up a bit and do that. Stomping your feet and being pissy pretty much constantly isn't doing that.
    You have made your point, I dont agree with it and I know I am right and I am not about to write you a book on marketing so we are done, please do not respond. I know I am right on this

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:

You have made your point, I dont agree with it and I know I am right and I am not about to write you a book on marketing so we are done, please do not respond. I know I am right on this
    Not quite that easy bud.  You may be correct as it pertains to the game discussion (I doubt it very seriously) but as far as anything else no, you are not.

I am a business major along with owning my own business, and have been in the business realm for quite a while.  I have learned from doing this, that facts are required, especially if you intend to make strong statements. No professor, no partner, no intelligent person is going to buy; Because I feel like it is, so it is.

You are not correct, you are no where in the realm of correct.  As I said, your opinion has value or these boards would not be here, but if you are going to make strong definitive statements, let see where the facts lie. You are a smart dude, just do the homework and remove the emotion.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

let me try this again

to be clear I am going to say this once.

I dont care bro. move on I will state whatever I want without proove all I want to

Aaaaaaand that pretty much says it all. It's unfortunate, too, because there were cases where I felt like you actually had some pretty good arguments with regards to VR, but that statement sort of stains any sort of credibility that you've established. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------