Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game looks like its straight from the year 2000.....

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
Really this is not meant as a Troll posting. Its my true opinion about what i just saw in the presentation video here.

by all respect i have for the creators of this game and for what they have created once, i do not see how this game should become successful.

The character animations look worse than anything i have seen in years.

The combat animations are worse than the worst games available

The world graphic and effects simple look like 1998-2002

Do these old developers not play or at least take a look at new modern games ?

I am 45 years old  meanwhile  and i wonder and do not understand  if this game is either created for players 40+ or just a failed design...

Guys your game really looks like coming straight from the stone age of mmorpg´s 

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Well, you're exaggerating a little - but I essentially agree with you.

As is, the game looks, plays and feels terrible.

That said, the last couple of patches have shown some real improvement, so maybe the last ones will make it worth a look?

Anyway, I invested in the game a couple of years ago - because I loved UO and though this isn't UO 2 - it's the closest thing to it on the horizon.

Sadly, I don't think it's going to turn out well.
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    edited April 2016
    maybe these guys should hire some younger teammates instead of trying to do all by themselfes.

The complete game design was clearly made by 40-60 year old designers.

they have no clue how to program a modern and fun combat system nor the animations for it.

i play this kind of games since 1983 until today and i think i have enough experience to say that this game wont ever see the sun and if then only for a short time.

its a waste of resources as long as the money spenders are not employing a few dedicated young talented graphic designers and technical game designers.

Selling a game just because the banner says "LORD BRITISH" does not work anymore. The majority of younger players has no idea who he is. We are in 2016 already. 
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited April 2016
    They picked the wrong engine and the wrong approach. There's nothing they can do about it now.

All we can hope for is that they keep improving it until it's worth playing.

That said, I'm pretty confident it will be released - and soon.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    As backer , I can tell ya, we're not allow to say bad things about this game ( on  the main forum) , or we'll be ban.  But you're right, the game is really dated and it does look really bad. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Goromhir said:
    Really this is not meant as a Troll posting. Its my true opinion about what i just saw in the presentation video here.

by all respect i have for the creators of this game and for what they have created once, i do not see how this game should become successful.

The character animations look worse than anything i have seen in years.

The combat animations are worse than the worst games available

The world graphic and effects simple look like 1998-2002

Do these old developers not play or at least take a look at new modern games ?

I am 45 years old  meanwhile  and i wonder and do not understand  if this game is either created for players 40+ or just a failed design...

Guys your game really looks like coming straight from the stone age of mmorpg´s 
    I can recall the first game I decided to give a shot despite the low quality resolution. I havent looked back since, that must be about 7 years ago. 

I am not about to play a super high resolution cut scene orgy killing fest when I can instead be making ships and trebuchets :)

thanks though

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The graphics don't look too dated, but everything else does.  This is what nostalgia gives you.
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited June 2016
    The crappy combat animations and cheap mob models r the least of its problems. I can't believe they think wipes r why people don't play it. They don't have a team that's good enough to make it better. It  could have been a good game if the ship had had a captain steering it and a team of real game makers. I'm glad I sold and got out before I lost money on it.
    Post edited by Rawyn on
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    The combat is some of the worst I've ever played.  That, and the wipes, keep me away.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    If you're criticizing this game for the wrong reasons, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm just going to throw that out there.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Oh crap I'm getting old.  I remember when "it's straight from the year 2000" meant it was really advanced and awe-inspiring.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Old looking graphics I can forgive. The problem in this case is that the game play matches the graphics far too well. Combat is clunky and boring. The UI is complete trash. The much vaunted conversation system is lifted from the first six Ultima games. The engine is a resource hog. The skill system is insultingly shallow. And it's pay-to-win. 

It's basically Ultima IX all over again, just without the awful voice acting. It even has the shattered hopes of long time Ultima and RG fans laying all around it!

This game isn't a joke. It's a fucking punchline. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    In all fairness, I don't think it's possible to deliver a modern day MMORPG on a shoestring budget.

No you don't need $100M but $20 or 30 M would probably be more realistic for a reasonably high quality game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    In all fairness, I don't think it's possible to deliver a modern day MMORPG on a shoestring budget.

No you don't need $100M but $20 or 30 M would probably be more realistic for a reasonably high quality game.

Thus, the reason I keep saying there will never be a successful crowd funded / KS MMORPG. Even if one makes it to release......It's gonna suck.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    DKLond said:
    They picked the wrong engine and the wrong approach. There's nothing they can do about it now.

All we can hope for is that they keep improving it until it's worth playing.

That said, I'm pretty confident it will be released - and soon.

Well they actually picked the right engine if their map size is really what they wanted and they didn't have AAA quality programmers and artists on staff.  Unity does not scale well for open worlds and Unity needs huge additions to code to make it look decent and play decent which they clearly didn't accomplish with the team they have.

But in general I agree Unity really should be the engine of last resort for anyone with a talented programming staff.  First choice would always be Unreal or Crytek or Gamebryo, or if you have the talent, create your own.  There are only a couple of exceptions to the Unity rule, "The Forest" devs are one team, those guys are amazing.

But actually using Unity isn't an excuse for poor lighting, animations or performance, you can make Unity look and run good, it just takes a ton of extra work that you don't have to do use Unreal or Crytek right out of the box.

Like you I've tried that game over and over, and its not really how bad it looks or performs but its just not fun to play, which is ultimately the most important thing.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    There is nothing wrong with using Unity for mmorpgs. It just doesn't come stock with all of the necessary modules, esp in regard to networking, just like most engines. Its funny to hear people suggest Unreal as the mmos that used it had to be heavily modified to work with an MMORPG - just like people are doing with Unity.

There are plenty of quality games being made with Unity. For all of its limitations, the versatility and compatibility is still a net gain.

Graphics also aren't even an issue. If you see Unity games that don't look good or have triple A quality polish or animations, thats is the fault of the people using it (artists, coders, etc), not the engine itself. There are a slew of amazing looking games out there created in Unity.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Dullahan said:
    There is nothing wrong with using Unity for mmorpgs. It just doesn't come stock with all of the necessary modules, esp in regard to networking, just like most engines. Its funny to hear people suggest Unreal as the mmos that used it had to be heavily modified to work with an MMORPG - just like people are doing with Unity.

There are plenty of quality games being made with Unity. For all of its limitations, the versatility and compatibility is still a net gain.

Graphics also aren't even an issue. If you see Unity games that don't look good or have triple A quality polish or animations, thats is the fault of the people using it (artists, coders, etc), not the engine itself. There are a slew of amazing looking games out there created in Unity.

I agree with you,
    that's why I blame the DEVS, they are making a mess more than anything else.
    Wasting time and backers money..

RG, you have failed.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    If you're criticizing this game for the wrong reasons, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm just going to throw that out there.
    Everyone should listen to Mr. Vague here. People are criticizing for the wrong reasons, so just think how bad the right reasons must be.