Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft movie is now the most successful video game adaption ever

Comments

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/space_pirate_captain_harlock/

Amusing, no critics... they snob a movie which was praised by James Cameron himself:

"After seeing a special preview screening of the movie, director James Cameron, who is famous for his movies Titanic and Avatar, gave the movie high praise, saying, “This is truly an unprecedented movie.” He went on to say, “This movie is already legendary. With its overflowing imagination and magnificent visuals, this movie is one that the world has never seen before. Harlock leads the way to a world of new ideas.”

So whatever the critics say, I don't care. At all.
    Oh yes! Space Pirate Captain Harlock... I had seen the title so many times on Netflix but the blurb didn't read too good to me I passed it.

FINALLY watched it - and was ashamed I didn't watch it sooner.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Successfull by what? Chinese numbers?

I guess that only means that we will be seeing kungfu pandas in the second movie, one or two chinese actors more involved and even more lore butchered to cater to the chinese market.

Resident Evil goes back to 2002, has five movies with a 6th in the making. They keep making them because people watch them for way more than a decade.
    I hope i'm wrong because i liked the WC movie, but i doubt we'll ever see even 3 warcraft movies.

Let's talk about the most successful adaption "ever" when the 7th WC movie hits the theaters after the franchise lasted ~18years.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Volgore said:

I guess that only means that we will be seeing kungfu pandas in the second movie, one or two chinese actors more involved and even more lore butchered to cater to the chinese market.

Resident Evil goes back to 2002, has five movies with a 6th in the making. They keep making them because people watch them for way more than a decade.
    I hope i'm wrong because i liked the WC movie, but i doubt we'll ever see even 3 warcraft movies.

Let's talk about the most successful adaption "ever" when the 7th WC movie hits the theaters after the franchise lasted ~18years.

Only one or two Chinese actors in a sequel?

Sequels usually don't do as well - you need look no further than this years list of sequels. So there will be a need to keep the costs down. To do what is best for the movie to perform well in China.

And if that means an all Chinese cast (China has its own stars) filmed in China by a Chinese company in Chinese so be it. 

Most of the people who went to see the film did so on opening day - even in China the audience fell 60% between Thursday's launch and Saturday. Production companies will see this as evidence of a core audience who will see the film even if it has sub-titles. Just as long as it is Warcraft. 

And Resident Evil - absolutely.

Lets not forget Final Fantasy either. 4 films and a 25 episode TV series.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    160 budget 360 box office equates to a success.  Sadly, it could have been much higher if a good movie had been made.  Hopefully they regroup for the sequel.  It can happen, I hope.

I self identify as a monkey.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Stop acting like a liberal snobs .. no body care about your scripts and acting To be honest I begun to think that Orcs are best actor in universe .
    I am sick of this era era of snobbish rubbish hipsters .
    And when I hear another,  one of a hundred thousand complaint form them all my being is screaming "SHUT THE F UP "

• fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Stop acting like a liberal snobs .. no body care about your scripts and acting To be honest I begun to think that Orcs are best actor in universe .
    And when I hear another,  one of a hundred thousand complaint form them all my being is screaming "SHUT THE F UP "

You do realise that having a different opinion doesn't automatically qualify someone as a hipster. Disliking a movie because of a poor script doesn't make someone a liberal(?) snob. Your comment does make you guilty of boorish Bulverism.

You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I loved the movie!  Thought it was going to be crap, and the first 30 minutes were a little...well, there's apparently a lot of story, but after that I really enjoyed the ride and told everyone I knew to go see it.  Man, it was good!

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Volgore said:

Yes, chinese numbers apparently.

Kung fu panda stole from warcraft. Pandaren introduced into warcraft universe in 2003 with warcraft 3 frozen throne expansion horde campaign "to tame a land", kug fu panda came out in 2008. Even the kung fu panda 3 setup was a blatant rip off of MoP.

Resident Evil movies are butchered and raped version of the game story. They are nothing but zombie action movie and people eat them as such, it is " Alice in Zombie land.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Until Assassins Creed comes out
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I  really liked the movie. If you were looking for something more along the lines of let say...anything else than Warcraft , then I can see how people would be disappointed. I'm sure if people that disliked it posted also if they liked any of the Warcraft seriers, I'd imagine some similar opinions. My Opinion is If you liked Warcraft the game , then you liked Warcraft the movie.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Havent seen the film yet myself, i plan to when it goes to video, but i am just really thankful that it didn't get made by the idiots who made the recent Ghostbusters fiasco O.o
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    Good example, I passed on that one in theatres due to critic's ratings. I have watched it a couple of times on Cinemax or something, and while it was enjoyable to watch for a horror fan like me, the critics weren't wrong on that one either.
    I just means that you were for once of the same opinion than the critics. Nothing more.

Here's another one:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/conan_the_barbarian_2011/?search=Conan

Of course, I love the movie with Arnold, it's a classic in my Blu-Ray collection, but anyone who has read the Conan books knows the newer movie is much closer to them.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/space_pirate_captain_harlock/

Amusing, no critics... they snob a movie which was praised by James Cameron himself:

"After seeing a special preview screening of the movie, director James Cameron, who is famous for his movies Titanic and Avatar, gave the movie high praise, saying, “This is truly an unprecedented movie.” He went on to say, “This movie is already legendary. With its overflowing imagination and magnificent visuals, this movie is one that the world has never seen before. Harlock leads the way to a world of new ideas.”

So whatever the critics say, I don't care. At all.
    I liked both movies, yet I must say I can see why Conan was panned by critics, for one the Villains were horribly acted, far too over the top, especially Rose McGowan. Secondly the overall story was largely uninteresting. While it captured some of the feel of the books ( more so than the original films) the plot itself was thin and felt rushed. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    It's shit. Yeah it's got a big budget and it looks pretty but the writing is fucking atrocious. Khadgar's acting is on par with the wayans brother in the dungeons and dragon's movie. If they could put in enough detail to make a movie about why the orcs had to traverse the portal into azeroth i think it would've been better. Then a movie for what happens after they get through the portal.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I  really liked the movie. If you were looking for something more along the lines of let say...anything else than Warcraft , then I can see how people would be disappointed. I'm sure if people that disliked it posted also if they liked any of the Warcraft seriers, I'd imagine some similar opinions. My Opinion is If you liked Warcraft the game , then you liked Warcraft the movie.
    Nope, i loved all the warcraft games, and this movie was just bad, spirits within bad.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    edited June 2016
    i liked the movie

it succeeded in creating that Warcraft feeling and brought back a lot of good memmories...

The plot was thin but okay...  I dont think this is so much a movie that will bring droves of new people to the game... but it might be the trigger to get many old timers interested again in subbing again...

There was a lot of good action and scenery to enjoy... I will be going a 2nd time, there was so much happening, i might have missed a few things...  I dont mind that, as it belongs to the warcraft feeling

And best of all, there was a Murlock in it

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited June 2016
    Warcraft isn't the most succesful video game adaptation. The movie has had $160mil+ production budget, and latest reports are suggesting a massive marketing budget over $80mil, which is nearing towards $250mil total expenses.

Let's analyze Warcraft a bit. They currently made $40mil in NA, which is about $20mil for them, while it proved to be very successful internationally bringing in $340mil, and that could be anywhere from 60$mil-100$mil for them. So in best case scenario they are currently sitting at about $120mil (they are half way to cover the expenses)

This movie already needed $400mil just based on the production budget to break even, and start making any profit onwards from that. Add to that the marketing budget, and we're looking at $600mil just to break even. Biggest problem for Warcraft is that it bombed in NA, the place where it actually mattered the most. I honestly doubt we'll ever see a sequel, it's clear to me they were aiming to break past the $1 billion box office based on all the expenses they've had. They really overestimated their fanbase.

You mentioned Warcraft beat The Angry Birds, but did it really? The Angry Birds's production cost was only $70mil, and they've made $104mil domestically alone. Basically nearly covered their production costs just domestically ($52mil). Internationally they made 224mil, which is about $50-60mil, so it's safe to say that The Angry Birds made some profit, or at least broke even. And The Angry Birds were far from a success, so imagine how far Warcraft is right now. China alone is not enough.

I'm also surprised nobody is mentioning Minions. $74mil production budget, and it made $1.16billion worldwide.
    Post edited by josko9 on
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    i liked the movie

it succeeded in creating that Warcraft feeling and brought back a lot of good memmories...

The plot was thin but okay...  I dont think this is so much a movie that will bring droves of new people to the game... but it might be the trigger to get many old timers interested again in subbing again...

There was a lot of good action and scenery to enjoy... I will be going a 2nd time, there was so much happening, i might have missed a few things...  I dont mind that, as it belongs to the warcraft feeling
    it's missing my nostalgic hero bolvar fordragon for that tbqh

wow that math is not even up to par of  nakin math. They sold the content liscencing to Legendary Pictures. they've already made their moolah.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    As long as we get a sequel I don't care where the money comes from. Thank you Chinese Warcraft fans for going to see it.
  • Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    edited June 2016
    I'm going to use basic logic, and say that movie prices now in 2016 will make a Uwe Boll film reach over 100million dollars .. Instead of looking at sales, look at ticket sales, and I thik you will see Mortal Kombat will still be the highest ticket sale.
    Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    wow that math is not even up to par of  nakin math. They sold the content liscencing to Legendary Pictures. they've already made their moolah.
    Content licensing deals come in 3 basic types.
    1. Licence IP for a fee; IP company is not involved.
    2. Licence IP for a smaller sum and sign up for a share of the profits.
    3. Licence IP, sign up for some % of the costs and in return get some % of the profits if any.

And there are lots of variations - all shades inbetween. So a partner responsible for releasing / marketing the film in e.g. China may get a bigger share of the profits out of China - which provides an incentive for them to market it well.

As an IP companies financial involvement increases so to does the degree of control they exert over the film. Think Warcraft vs. Game of Thrones. (GRRM is involved in the latter but not to the extent Blizzard have been with Warcraft).

Hence the investment reports that indicate that Blizzard are a production partner ring true. It explains why they were able to e.g. reject the Sam Mendez script - pushing the film's release date back and resulting in extra costs from a re-write / new director etc.  And why - based on last years reports that Universal wanted a different release date - they were able to rebuff this suggestion. Clearly releasing when it has suits Blizzard better; the film would probably have taken more outside China if it had released against e.g. Angry Birds

That said I think Blizzard can class whatever it costs them as "advertising" and if they make anything back it will be a bonus. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Rusque said:
    As long as we get a sequel I don't care where the money comes from. Thank you Chinese Warcraft fans for going to see it.
    Have you ever watched any Chinese movies on Netflix?
    Then you'll understand why they go see Warcraft.
    You don't like seeing moth verse Godzilla?
    Rusque said:

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    You don't like seeing moth verse Godzilla?
    Rusque said:

Godzilla attacks Tokyo
  • cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

It's hard to understand what you're saying. It's not being snobbish if you have an actual respect for the art instead of people degrading the art form with movies like warcraft. Liberals are against a free market so these would be more leaning towards the right seeing as how they are talking profitability.

A lot of people care about the scripts and the acting. Thats part of the movie if the script sucks then everything else will be garbage. You can paint a turd gold but its still a turd.