Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Close, But Not Quite - The New Site - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Im not sure why the hosting is the issue if its AWS. You can spin up or upgrade EC2 instances, RDS databases, S3 buckets in seconds and get them copied to all regions. Im a certified system architect and AWS is the best there is right now. The issues could have been resolved in about 30-60 minutes at the latest.

But for really isn't that new site just MORE ad space? I dont see how it benefits us the users more. Its harder to find the real content and the ads are just overkill.
    There are actually LESS ads per capita on the new site. And no more ads in articles themselves either. It's different, you may notice the ads where they're placed now. But there ARE fewer.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Im not sure why the hosting is the issue if its AWS. You can spin up or upgrade EC2 instances, RDS databases, S3 buckets in seconds and get them copied to all regions. Im a certified system architect and AWS is the best there is right now. The issues could have been resolved in about 30-60 minutes at the latest.

But for really isn't that new site just MORE ad space? I dont see how it benefits us the users more. Its harder to find the real content and the ads are just overkill.
    Perhaps the guy who does the architect stuff for amazon is on vacation or he's on break.  Or he's working on something else.  You know how corporations work sometimes they are worse then the government.  MMORPG has to fill out the dd2-1.9283 form and submit it to a certain department.  Which they will first submit to the wrong department and wait 3 days for the email saying they did so and have to start the process all over again.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    UPDATE: I was just told by Craig and Ben, the new site will now launch on July 1st. Why? We have to go when advertisers haven't bought site skins, so we're not robbing them of their money. But the extra week plus is good, because it gives us more time to polish known issues, and to give Amazon time to get their configuration right. I'm not certain we'll have a whole 24 hour down period then, but when I know more about how that day will go I'll keep you all posted.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    What do rain forests have to do with bringing mmorpg online?
    It's the butterfly effect.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Hulluck said:
    You should of made and sell founders access packages so popular with every online game release lately for the new site and make a few bucks from this new thing hehe
    They should sell colors for each individual letter.  Want a black "Y" with a white "T"?  Want a purple "b".  You can pick and choose which letters you want to seeor not see in the comment box without using seleci all!
    Yea, where is the cash shop?  I'd like to buy an Epic title for my Avatar.  :)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Don't blame AWS for the site's own ineptitude! LOL, in all seriousness, shit happens. Good luck guys.

Joined - July 2004

filmoret said:
    You could always sell jpegs of the new site for ridiculously high prices.  Then early access.   
    I would buy digital ships for this site and could you add aging and permadeath for Avatars?

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    hard to install cms guys?

lol

good luck tho
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I am sure you guys will get it right next time.

But I really have to wander why you guys could not have set the site up on amazon while also running the old site and then made the switch over once you guys had everything fully up and working.

I mean surely running two sites is not THAT hard of a to do. Do a copy of the current database, setup a new subdomain new.mmorpg.com and setup the new site on it with the new servers and then once everything is right and working correctly (and issues solved). Do a last min database copy over and then flip the dns switch over to the new site. You might lose some foum posts and such between the time you copied over the database to the new site but that would be a heck of a lot better then losing the $$ and hajving 24 hours of down time no?

But what the heck do I know XD I am sure you guys will get it next attempt. :)

The short amount of time I got to see the new site (minus some bugs here and there) it seemed like it will be a nice change. Way different then the current site, but change is always hard at first.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited June 2016
    I come to MMORPG.com for one reason: The News Section. MMORPG.com has always been great about keeping me up to date on upcoming MMOs etc. For that I thank you.

However, after experiencing the template of what is to be last night, I was absolutely disgusted. There was no news sections (or at least I couldn't find it). The site looked just like any other generic / confusing 2015-2016 blogging template - the kind that usually say, "Childhood celebrities before and now"... but you can never find the way to click through the pictures.

The new website, IMO, looks like a total mess and honestly made me think, "Did they design it this way so that I accidentally click on ads?"
    Am I the only one who feels this way?

The new site should be extremely clean and simple - almost barebones. Even the traditional site is covered with clutter, e.g., Blogs, Columns, Live Stream, Reviews, Videos, etc. MMORPG.com should keep it pure and simple: Latest News with a fantastic game-filter system and a superior Forum that is loaded with all the goodies. Even before the site revamp, MMORPG was confusing due to the fact that it now covers non-MMO games. This should be a filter, too.
  • UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    We love ya guys Bill and staff...we can wait a little longer ...though I have only been using htis name as you know for a short time 9hopefully with new site now i can finally enter contests and get keys lol) but yeah I have been here since you guys first launched..and it has been great to see how the fanbase and the site have grown.
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Do I derive pleasure at the expense of others' failures? Yes, yes I do.
  • samurai225samurai225 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Well can't wait to see the new site. Though I'll probably revert back to the old one.
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    You'll get it next time, no worries.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Half the time i click on anything here, i land at the Riders of Icarus website. There something like "sitewideskin"  and "mmorpg" in the url, so i assume we would see the page i land on as skin or whatever, but clearly clicking on the button to display page 2 should not lead me there.

Interesting enough, it always if i simply click on it, but never if i open it in a new tab or anything.

I also had some trouble actually posting here, as clicking on the topic in the news also lead me to the RoI page..

As nobody else commented on anything like that i'm not sure on who's end this is and if it's worth fixing it before the new design, but i had no problems before the down time..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

I wonder if we are going to be compensated for this. Maybe a double XP time or something mount dunno... sorry couldn't resist >:)

I'd love a free bump to blue name status. :D Green is just so common!
  • Sky.FalconSky.Falcon Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Not sure if I can handle so much change.

Pretty much played every MMO that's come out since WoW.../sigh
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Anireth said:
    Half the time i click on anything here, i land at the Riders of Icarus website. There something like "sitewideskin"  and "mmorpg" in the url, so i assume we would see the page i land on as skin or whatever, but clearly clicking on the button to display page 2 should not lead me there.

Interesting enough, it always if i simply click on it, but never if i open it in a new tab or anything.

I also had some trouble actually posting here, as clicking on the topic in the news also lead me to the RoI page..

As nobody else commented on anything like that i'm not sure on who's end this is and if it's worth fixing it before the new design, but i had no problems before the down time..
    Is this what you are seeing on the site running right now?  I can look into this - we did some different things on this site skin for the client - mainly trying to get those orange buttons on the left/right to click...perhaps the divs setup for those are flowing into other areas on certain browsers, etc.

Please let us know your OS/browser and exactly what you are clicking and going to the RoI page.

Thanks!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• GradienGradien Member CommonPosts: 1
    <3
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    I feel like I should do a video on the new site...
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2016
    Admin said:
    Anireth said:

Is this what you are seeing on the site running right now?  I can look into this - we did some different things on this site skin for the client - mainly trying to get those orange buttons on the left/right to click...perhaps the divs setup for those are flowing into other areas on certain browsers, etc.

Please let us know your OS/browser and exactly what you are clicking and going to the RoI page.

Thanks!
    @Admin

There's at least one misplaced link about Riders of Icarus, I made a post about it here: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6976101/#Comment_6976101

You can't find it based on the info on my post? I'm using Win 7, and tested it with both Chrome and Internet Explorer 11.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    #triggered

server issues ruined my weekend and have been a pain in the ass the whole week. I feel for MMORPG.com and understand there pain.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    edited June 2016
    Vrika said:
    Admin said:
    Anireth said:

Thanks!
    @Admin

There's at least one misplaced link about Riders of Icarus, I made a post about it here: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6976101/#Comment_6976101

You can't find it based on the info on my post? I'm using Win 7, and tested it with both Chrome and Internet Explorer 11.
    I can make it happen too.  Have my designer on it now to fix this skin or kill those links all together if needed.  The skin works fine on the main site but not the forums for some reason (since the forums are hosted elsewhere from the rest of a site on a separate codebase getting skins pulled from the main site and dropped in is a bit tricky)

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    edited June 2016
    I am a bit worried that the new MMORPG site looks a bit too much like Massively OP, the other really good MMO site I visit. I hope the style and delivery of new content are not as close as they appear at a glance, I enjoy both sites becasue they are fundamentally different and I hope MMORPG continues to be a user content driven site!

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Athisar said:

Sorry to see things have gone a bit wrong. Must be very frustrating.

I think the worst is knowing that the site itself is good to go (with plenty of bugs of course), but that we are held back by the hosting. Soon!

I hear GoDaddy will host ya... ::duck::