Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon, what are you expecting ?

Realistically, As a fan, I'll give my honest opinion of what I'm expecting.

Vanguard 2 is the best way to explain it.  Using the live stream on Twitch a few months back as my guide, I'll have to admit, much looks the same.  As I often say I'm not a programmer.  But it seems developers often keep a fixated way of creating mmos, much like an artist signature.

I'm expecting graphics to be slightly outdated or maybe a little more than that.  I'm expecting the animation's and creatures to be chunky in their actions.  I'm not expecting the total overall game environment to really feel natural.  As you approach an npc I would expect it would give you that odd look as you speak to them.  Much of this will have an EQ2 and Vanguard, old school way about it.

Sounds negative right ?

Well then, all hope is not lost !.............Infact from a game play prospective Visionary Realms will far exceed anything to date on a grand scale. Monsters, traps and predicament's the player will experience will be mind blowing good  !!!.....The player groups will have to think and discuss as a well oiled unit.  Most of the content will be hard, but not in a way of just combat, but to find weakness, and strategy.

Overcoming weaknesses, and using strategy is rare in mmos.  I think Brad and his team will give us an amazing adventure.  Sure, the casual's will be shocked, but as long as their social and willing to work as a team, they too will find Pantheon intriguing.

So get over graphics, Get over having that $600 video card ( I have one too ).  Play for real adventure !!!!!

What are you expecting ?

Kiori001SnackMasterB

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited June 2016

Vanguard, A short story :

One day I was questing with my Disciple on the island of Qalia.  Among some ruins I came across a simple hole in the ground.  Just a hole, noting special about it.  I decided to climb down to find a full subterranean network with I believe were elite skeleton's. Needless to say I didn't last long.  

I found my dead corps, revived and stood their in amazement.  What is that I asked myself ?...This isn't even on the map.  Not totally sure if their were any quest, but I had to explore.

I few minuets went buy and a small group of three came by fighting.  I knew where they were going, the hole !........I asked if I could join and got an invite.  We made an adventure out of it for a good hour.  I don't remember the details, but it was something memorable that's now fading into the past.

I want this feeling again.

I want predicament's again, the feeling of the unknown.  I would love to be in a party of 5 or 6 stuck in a hole, with seemingly no way out.  Relying on one party member with at least some experience to guide us through, then return with my own group some day.

I'll call it " my hole ".

Post edited by delete5230 on
    Kiori001AegirisSnackMasterBLackingMMO
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited June 2016
    Qalia was a continent not an Island but yeah cool story. Are you sure it wasn't a whole in a broken ship which lead to the hag?

Vanguard had the best dungeons in mom's to date IMO, dungeons within dungeons spanning many levels. Theses are actually group dungeons that some took days to complete. 

Kiori001

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Qalia was a continent not an Island but yeah cool story. Are you sure it wasn't a whole in a broken ship which lead to the hag?

Vanguard had the best dungeons in mom's to date IMO, dungeons within dungeons spanning many levels. Theses are actually group dungeons that some took days to complete. 

I looked at an old map, I think it was near Skrilien Point on the northern part of Qalia.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Up until recently I was expecting EQ with enhanced graphics and a few small nods to modern gaming. I'm not saying that's what Brad or VR said exactly. It's just what I was expecting, which is the OP's question.

I still think Pantheon will have a heavy EQ/Vanguard/Old School influence. But I also now think it will be more its own thing than I originally expected. And further, I believe there will be a significant D&D (pen and paper) influence (such as is reflected in the perception system).

Brad, I can tell you still have a bag of dice in some drawer in your house somewhere. :)  
    Kiori001

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    I am hoping for EQ style gameplay and classes with updated graphics and an maybe a few updates to the interface.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I"m hoping for Vanguard 2.0
    Kiori001francis3343Hatefull
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    DMKano said:
    Expecting a rehash of vanilla EQ1 - a good rehash at that.
    I'd say EQ but with more on top. I don't want them to monkey with basics. The game should be hard, travel meaningful, items rare, death painful, and combat tactical. In other words, the key components that made progression in EQ feel meaningful must be preserved.

Beyond those things, I'd like to see things for players to do beyond combat. I'd like to see trades with depth that also involve cooperative gameplay. I'd like to see players building houses or shops in or around cities. I'd love to see boats. I'd love to see a world with dynamics and that changes as the story progresses.

I realize much of the second paragraph is beyond the scope of launch, but I really think there should be a world beyond adventuring.

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Vanilla EQ with a much more complex crafting system. Would be nice to also have tons of skills to master so you always felt like there was something to do to keep progressing your character. Same as leveling in vanilla EQ crafting/leveling/skilling should all take a long time. Slow progression is key... 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited June 2016
    Weeping and gnashing of teeth

Meaning, I don't expect anything at all, and I believe that expectation will be met.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    A new evolutionary branch from the EQ tree, something with it's roots in EQ  but moving in a different direction than any other MMO (including Vanguard).

I don't want a new EQ or VG, I want something in the same spirit but different as well. And what I seen so far seems to support that, now if they just can get the engine good I will be a happy camper. :)
    freakky
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Im expecting something with roots in EQ/VG, but  not anything like a copy.  A new world, and less buggy.

However, developing on a shoestring budget doesnt always work.  You can take so long that your graphical design ages badly.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Necromancers, oh wait noooooooooooooo.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

One day I was questing with my Disciple on the island of Qalia.  Among some ruins I came across a simple hole in the ground.  Just a hole, noting special about it.  I decided to climb down to find a full subterranean network with I believe were elite skeleton's. Needless to say I didn't last long.  

I found my dead corps, revived and stood their in amazement.  What is that I asked myself ?...This isn't even on the map.  Not totally sure if their were any quest, but I had to explore.

I few minuets went buy and a small group of three came by fighting.  I knew where they were going, the hole !........I asked if I could join and got an invite.  We made an adventure out of it for a good hour.  I don't remember the details, but it was something memorable that's now fading into the past.

I want predicament's again, the feeling of the unknown.  I would love to be in a party of 5 or 6 stuck in a hole, with seemingly no way out.  Relying on one party member with at least some experience to guide us through, then return with my own group some day.

That's a great story and why I loved Vangaurd so much.  There was so much content and so many places to explore, I don't think it was possible for one player to ever see or do it all, it truely seemed like an endless world of content, the holy grail that people are asking for today.  And some of that content was almost impossibly hard, there simply wasn't enough time in a day to clear even half of some of those dungeons.   You just gave it your best shot, collected your tombstone a half a dozen times and called it quits.

However most people dismissed it immediately for some "flaw" they didnt want to deal with or couldn't figure out how to work around.  Its like missing out on finding and exploring the lost city of atlantis because you dont like getting your hair wet, or there is a small leak in your wetsuit, or you flashlight is a little iffy.

I dont expect Pantheon to have anywhere near the amount of almost endless content that VAngaurd had, but like you I expect whats there to be as hard and deep as that game was.  My guild would spend an entire day just poking our nose into some castle only to never even come close to clearing it.  Endless content yes.
    Kiori001
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited June 2016
    goboygo said:

That's a great story and why I loved Vangaurd so much.  There was so much content and so many places to explore, I don't think it was possible for one player to ever see or do it all, it truely seemed like an endless world of content, the holy grail that people are asking for today.  And some of that content was almost impossibly hard, there simply wasn't enough time in a day to clear even half of some of those dungeons.   You just gave it your best shot, collected your tombstone a half a dozen times and called it quits.

However most people dismissed it immediately for some "flaw" they didnt want to deal with or couldn't figure out how to work around.  Its like missing out on finding and exploring the lost city of atlantis because you dont like getting your hair wet, or there is a small leak in your wetsuit, or you flashlight is a little iffy.

I dont expect Pantheon to have anywhere near the amount of almost endless content that VAngaurd had, but like you I expect whats there to be as hard and deep as that game was.  My guild would spend an entire day just poking our nose into some castle only to never even come close to clearing it.  Endless content yes.
    Well said my friend well said.  Like Delete, who you quoted, I too had many amazing experiences in Vanguard and hope Pantheon will capture any sort of feeling that Vanguard did.  

I remember me and my buddy who did a lot of duoing in Vanguard set out to explore the land of Thestra. We ventured NE where we came across hidden in the hills this castle that had a bunch of what looked like Giants.  We spent hours there, days there, exploring inside the castle while clearing the place for fun and loot.  It had named Giants inside the castle in small rooms that made the encounters very interesting.  It even had what felt like a boss of the keep that actually had an event take place when you engaged him.  It was an incredible experience and we still talk about that place to this very day.  It was awesome.  Hope Pantheon can capture that feeling again or even come close to it.

We started recruiting more players to group with us because some of the named/bosses were too difficult to duo.  After people started exploring and discovering this place, it ended up being a great place to level up within a certain level range and you started seeing groups of people camping areas within the castle, reminiscent of EQ1 camps and it was so much fun.
    Kiori001
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Meaning, I don't expect anything at all, and I believe that expectation will be met.
    I really want to see the hopes and dreams realized with a great MMORPG... but...

Let's be realistic. I know what happened with SOE, Verant, Sigil Games, and the Pantheon kick starter. The whole thing could amount to nothing and get cancelled. It could be horribly mismanaged, again, it could turn out to be a pipe dream. I loved EQ and Vanguard but there were some problems...

I don't really expect much.

It's a lot like that lowered expectations Mad TV dating sketch...

The really sad part is Pantheon is the last hope for some people.

I mean I hope they pull it off and it's all sunshine and rainbows but I have some doubts that will happen.

<3 Lowered Expectations <3

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I am expecting something like Vanguard with improved graphics... and a similar number of bugs at release. However, I am hoping it is promising enough that people will support it, and give it time to patch and fix into something great. I'm looking forward to rolling a halfling ranger. 
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited June 2016
    I want an old school game with a good mix of camping and questing.  I want all of the quality of life mechanisms we have come to enjoy in modern MMOs.  I want a virtual world that is designed for exploration as well as adventuring and crafting.  I want lots of systems like diplomacy, foraging and housing from Vanguard.  I want decent graphics and no weapons or armor that are disproportionate to the avatar.  I want palatable animations and beautiful spell effects.  I want realistic weather patterns and effects.  I want ultra fast zoning.  I want a plethora of solo, small group, full group content.  I want a lot of GM interaction and events.  No frakking cash shop, just basic services like name and server changes.  I want a customizable equipment dying system, none of that one color covers every bit of the item.  And the list goes on.......

Needless to say, I have a lot of wants for Pantheon.  I'm cautiously optimistic that Brad will satisfy a lot of them, if not most.  Enough so that I invested in the project and I will be present in the Alphas and Betas to make my voice heard.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Nilden said:

I really want to see the hopes and dreams realized with a great MMORPG... but...

Let's be realistic. I know what happened with SOE, Verant, Sigil Games, and the Pantheon kick starter. The whole thing could amount to nothing and get cancelled. It could be horribly mismanaged, again, it could turn out to be a pipe dream. I loved EQ and Vanguard but there were some problems...

I don't really expect much.

It's a lot like that lowered expectations Mad TV dating sketch...

The really sad part is Pantheon is the last hope for some people.

I mean I hope they pull it off and it's all sunshine and rainbows but I have some doubts that will happen.

<3 Lowered Expectations <3

Yep, the concepts are there.
    Not so sure about the resources though.
  • AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I'm expecting something between EQ and VG with new lore npcs, and locations. But they will be adding some of their own unique ideas as well. But I do hope they approach some things differently and borrow from other games (don't burn me at the stake yet) where it makes sense and fits the tenets of the game. Yes to immersion, yes to community, but tempered with sound game design and fun old school gameplay.

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Great post and I do love reading stories of great past adventures.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    i expect nothing.

i hope it turns out to be a fun "old skool" experience that feels like EQ1 in a new skin.

to say i am cautiously optimistic is being generous. i was one of the people that followed vanguard from the day it was announced and all throughout development, i was beyond hyped.

not going to fall for it this time. sounds like a great concept but we will see how it turns out.
    I followed Vanguard and beta and played for seven years, start to finish.

I wasn't disappointed. 

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I'm not hyped, but I hope it turns out well. not going to preorder or buy on release, I was there when Vanguard launched. I really hope it turns out well and I will think on buying it fater its released, reviewed and I really like what I read.
    seshsesOctagon7711

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

I wasn't disappointed. 
     vanguard arguably had the worst launch in mmo history. you must have had a super computer because most computers of that time couldn't run it worth a shit.

there was a lot of hype around that game during development and it failed big time, there is a reason for that. even though you were not disappointed, many many more were.

i tried to get back into it a couple years later after i got a better computer and many of the bugs were still there. it was much more playable but by that time it felt like a very empty and dead world.

baphamet said:

I wasn't disappointed. 
     vanguard arguably had the worst launch in mmo history. you must have had a super computer because most computers of that time couldn't run it worth a shit.

there was a lot of hype around that game during development and it failed big time, there is a reason for that. even though you were not disappointed, many many more were.

i tried to get back into it a couple years later after i got a better computer and many of the bugs were still there. it was much more playable but by that time it felt like a very empty and dead world.

Nope it wasn't the worst launch in mmo history you obviously were not around not around for Dark & Light.

As  for my pc I had 8800 gtx sli build so yeah it was a top line pc but 200.000 actually ran the game. Yes many left through problems but they still ran the game.