Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

123457»

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2016
    Stizzled said:
    The problem with the CGI, or at least the problem I have, isn't that it's not good, it's that it doesn't mesh well with the live actors. The CGI looks like Warcraft while the live actors look like live actors.

Do any of you who've seen the movie think it would have been worse had they used CGI for the entire film?
    I actually agree with you, full CGI would have been better.
    The problem with CGI in this movie is that they are better than the real characters.
    I am actually referring to the Armor and the set props, they look plastic and rather cheap compared to the beautiful CGI.
    I don't know what material they used but it didn't really work.

But as I said I got over it really quick.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    I don't think anyone - in this thread or in the wider media - predicted that Warcraft would be a Mermaid ($3M US, $550 International - China) or a Spirited Away ($10M US, $264 International - Japan).  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4199&p=.htm

Warcraft fell 73% on its second weekend, bringing in just $6.5 million, drawing a close comparison to 2005's Doom, which fell 72.7% after an equally disappointing opening. Warcraft's drop is the third largest second weekend drop for a film playing in over 3,000 theaters behind 2009's Friday the 13th (80.4%) and Fifty Shades of Grey (73.9%). The big difference here, however, is Warcraft only opened with $24.1 million while those two other films opened with $40.5 million and $85.1 million respectively, giving them both much further to fall.

Warcraft did, however, bring in another $41.2 million internationally this weekend as its global cume now climbs to $377.6 million, more than $200 million of which comes from China.

Revenue was mostly "day 1" loaded; even in China day 3 was 60% below opening day. Suggesting perhaps that people who went were mostly WoW players? Does this suggest that well over 50% of WoW's subs are in China - long touted - and that subs in US and EU are below 1M? 

As far as possible sequels go:

At a cost maybe higher than $160M Warcraft's backers, Activision Blizzard being one,  may struggle to recoup its full costs (quota film in China so 25% of the China gross only). For AB though I think they will simply class it as marketing. Even if they spent $50M on the film and only get $30M back that simply makes it a $20M worldwide ad campaign.

So I suspect that Blizzard would be up for a sequel and so would Chinese partners. Warcraft 2 filmed in China with a Chinese cast would potentially make financial sense.  

Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Based on my opinion of the movie, I take this as more evidence that the reception of a movie has very little to do with the actual movie - and almost everything to do public perception.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,432
    It is successful outside the US and just goes to show you don't need the US. Anyone who has not seen the film but likes fantasy and just really fun movie should stop listening to the haters and watch it.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 199
    To me the movie was awesome, like the old Warcraft 1 and 2 RTS games, while WoW is a garbage easy PvE MMO.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DKLond said:
    Based on my opinion of the movie, I take this as more evidence that the reception of a movie has very little to do with the actual movie - and almost everything to do public perception.
    I am sure that plays a part. 

Another TVs being bigger and better quality with so many ways for films to be delivered. Not the same experience for sure (go IMAX!) but deemed "OK" by many for something not considered a "must see" at the cinema.

Also the other films that launch at or around the same time. And a lot of "big" films have launched this summer. A reason, imo, that so many have had so called "soft" openings. Lots of films for people to choose from resulting in - as one site put it - the films cannibalizing each other.

If you visit the cinema with family or friends on a regular basis and there is only one big new film to see you see that; if there are many you make a choice. And at that point reviews could well make a difference.  
    And it is a summer of mega-blockbusters. Alice didn't deliver but Finding Dorey has. Some refused to believe a little fish could sink Warcraft but with an opening US weekend of $136M all other films - not just Warcraft - were left scrambling for crumbs. And next weekend enter Independence Day.