Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a "bucket list"?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
edited June 2016 in Off-Topic Discussion
One thing I'm looking forward to when my most darkest and final days of this wonderful experience comes at an end is activating and successfully executing my bucket list. Based on events that happened and happening through my life, the longer I am in this world the more chances there are something else to add to it. Now, obviously my bucket list is things that I'm determined to do when I would have the least at line to risk to accomplish something, to cast my voice, make a statement or simply experience life like never before, but truth be told, for me there are only 4 things based on priority I've already added since well 2003-2004 that I'm 100% certain I intend to fulfill.

Once I hit a certain age I'll activate my bucket list and I'll start clearing it. Now, through time certain things on my bucket list things can also become less important over something else and new. but if anything I'm convinced that at least I'll die trying if I have to fulfilling it. So, if you too already have a bucket list, have you decided at what age will you doing it (if healthy)? Have MMO's or gaming played any part or role in altering your bucket list?

I believe it is essential for all of us to have a bucket list and do the things that we believe need to be done not only for our own benefit, but the generations ahead. Many people through the world have bucket lists believing they can make a better world tomorrow and their bucket list vary greatly based on the individuals as well as the type of life they had to endure positive or negative.

Personally the last thing I would want is to end up on someones bucket list because I'm aware what that can possible mean. For example if I had  somebody coming after me or my family, friends decades after I'll have basically no idea when/who to prepare myself and be at a clear disadvantage. I'll be just exposed like a duck. The obvious part of course is the fact that there is no such thing as law or punishments that would intimidate somebody who already has nothing at stake to lose or risk. Many people also don't understand this factor, that in our society every single action has some domino effect that will occur days, months, years or even centuries ahead and I believe education is the key part for our society for us to ensure that we are all responsible for what is happening around us.

Example, the latest Orlando massacre. That is just one example where an individual, clearly not intelligent enough by being impatient on clearing his bucket list ASAP, at such a young age, where he could just do the same 50-60 years later, after fully using and spending his available time. So, yes when we see more often younger people do things like this in my opinion it means that the worst has yet to come, because those who are the most intelligent, calculating and capable individuals will be the ones that will permanently change the way we see and live in our societies with their actions and what they believe in.

Many also from politicians to other authorities I've seen in the past use gaming as a means to justify "violent" behaviors, when the reality is, gaming is the place where we know and are aware that whatever happens in games, it's that just a game, thus making us far more unlikely to write something down or our bucket list. Still though, in the multiplayer environment we still put our time, spend most of our lives to accomplish something and interact (are in contact) with all kinds of individuals and the worst part is that many believe that doing things that would truly make someone furious just because they can, like abusing their power to punish/ban someone who's been part of their game, invested year+ of his time to accomplish something only to lose it will bite them hard one day.

This is just one example why we should be very cautious and understanding toward any action we choose to make. No matter how much $ or what could be at our stake, nothing is more dangerous than being on someone else bucket list. Ignorance can only be remedied through education and proper parenting. The responsibility first come to the parents to properly educate their children for no other reason but to protect them and not by keeping them from the world, from interaction but by allowing them to socialize with others. The more we communicate with different individuals the more chance we have to evolve and become something more than we were before.

Gaming is far more safer hobby than doing anything else, especially when we go outside in the world and we interact with others. The more attention we attract the more danger we find ourselves in. Christina Grimmie is the recent proof of that and Anton Yelchin is a proof that the more transportation you need in your life the safer you are. Many in todays world ridicule and find gaming immature, but the truth is gaming will be that factor that will save countless lives by keeping us safe and indoor than those who find most of their interest outside in the real world.

To wrap this up, I'll share to the community that I had a closest friend who I met through high school and afterwards we spent years, almost every single day, gaming together almost everything. He and I were simply perfect friends. Not a single moment he ever made me feel insulted or ridiculed. He was also very intelligent just like me, being really good in almost all we played together. We shared the same taste, sadly one day, just one day which happened to be July the 4th I wasn't there for him, being too busy and preoccupied doing something else, only at 1-2 am to read email for him saying to me thing like "Good job Kopo for being offline on my life defining day". That was the day of Independence and he committed suicide at just 21 year old, one would say at the perfect age. The interesting thing is bucket list or no bucket list, I came to his family weeks after I found out by googling his real name when I noticed his unusual absence only to find it in the obligatory. Now, almost 6 years will pass and for me it still feels like yeserday, because that is the most tragic thing I've witnessed and most likely will in my lifetime. Now, he didn't have a bucket list, but I know how much his family was grieving with his siblings, a family that once from his expected so much to do, like go to a college, get a job, etc... They simply had plans and expectations from their child.  They pressured him not realizing and understanding fully what that could lead to, and I know this well because many months before he once told me Kopo, I won't survive in this home through this summer and I recall just telling him "Nah, you'll be fine", which I was obviously wrong. He had plans to move out, etc...

I also like to clarify that nobody is responsible for what happened to him than he himself. He had the choice and freedom to do what he wanted to do and was successful and those who are closest to us, those who matter to us greatly will be those that will hurt the most when they will forever be gone from our lives. I know for sure his family greatly is affected by what he did and I'm sure they also are regretting a lot in how they approached him and treated him in their home. This is also something many of you should be aware about that these things can happen and happen far more often than you think they do.

Post edited by Kopogero on

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    The only thing I have in my "bucket list" that makes any sense to have there, is that I want to feel like I've contributed.

So far, I've utterly failed to contribute in any way that I consider meaningful.

I doubt that I'll ever succeed, but that's the one thing that will make me feel better about my time in the world.

It's not that I feel obligated to contribute, but simply that it would be such a waste not to do something beyond merely existing.
    DMKano said:
    No.

Not for me, I don't need it to make my life feel any more purposeful, but I understand why many need the blanket of meaning - it is more comforting.

The bucket list is a human attempt to give meaning to their life, based out of delusion of self-importance.

Nothing we do individually or collectively as human species will stand the test of time as we are not even a blip in the life of the universe.

Our solar system, galaxy and entire universe will go, and all will be erased.

Time destroys all.

Try to understand this in a non-depressing just factual way. 

Think about it.
    You have no way of knowing any of this with reasonable certainty - it's just another point of view that makes you feel better about your own choices - or lack thereof.

Essentially, it's what you believe in - and not necessarily objective truth.
    DMKano said:
    DKLond said:
    The only thing I have in my "bucket list" that makes any sense to have there, is that I want to feel like I've contributed.

So far, I've utterly failed to contribute in any way that I consider meaningful.

I doubt that I'll ever succeed, but that's the one thing that will make me feel better about my time in the world.

It's not that I feel obligated to contribute, but simply that it would be such a waste not to do something beyond merely existing.

Mere existence is contribution enough.

That thread you wrote could have contributed to someone greatly that you'll never even know or meet, right?

Think about all of your actions since birth and how much they have contributed in ways you will never know? Heck the joy you've brought to your parents as a newborn is that not a contribution enough, no?

Like I said  - the bucket list is just a gimmick in the end to for yourself to feel worthy. 

You are worthy already as is, don't need the bucket list to prove that to yourself.

Just know that you are, it is the same as doing the bucket list. 

It's all a comfort blanket in the end.
    It's not about whether or not I've actually contributed, but about the feeling itself.

I mean, if I've contributed in some obscure random way - that's delightful, but since I can't know - I can't feel that I've contributed.

So, it's a selfish ambition about doing something to make a positive difference - to make myself feel better.

I don't understand the concept of "worthy" and I don't recognise "value" in human beings. I wouldn't know how to determine value at all.

It's all about a good feeling  - and I would never objectively claim to be of value, no matter how much I feel I might have contributed.

So, it's a comfort blanket that may or may not have actual value. I would never be able to determine that. All I can hope for is the feeling that I've contributed. But a feeling can never be anything but subjective.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited June 2016
    As @DMKano has his own theory on the universe I have mine that differs from him. Unlike his theory mine revolves around the fact that all we know, this massive universe, the huge black holes, the stars and finally planets around them that serve for a purpose to create and bring life here which is us one has to feel at least a little bit special and grateful. That being said I also believe this universe and biology did its part to bring us to where we are, now we have to use science and technology to remain here and earn our immortality or longevity.

If I do nothing I only know more of the same awaits me which is losing all what I've become and overall control of my existence. There is no possible way for us to end this or other universes, so the way I see it going for destruction is a pointless cause.

@Torval yes we never know, but we choose our odds and options that believe are best for us to get the best outcome out of life. There are obviously things that indeed are far more risky to do in life and especially if they are defining the very nature of how things are. There is always some sacrifices for great changes to come.

If I for instance decided to climb Everest or take a selfie on the roof of the tallest building in the world, or go in Africa and play with the lions, something clearly only the bravest or careless would do, I would do it when I know I have the least to care and risk to lose. It all comes down to risk vs reward.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm reminded on the guy who did a presentation on the odds of you being born.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    No, I really don't want to spend the remainder of my life ticking boxes, whether self-imposed or imposed by the materialistic society we have allowed ourselves to sleep walk into. Each tick in the box and I am another step closer to eternal oblivion, what a hideous way to chart your inevitable decay. 
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
    DMKano said:
    DKLond said:
    DMKano said:
    DKLond said:

That thread you wrote could have contributed to someone greatly that you'll never even know or meet, right?

Think about all of your actions since birth and how much they have contributed in ways you will never know? Heck the joy you've brought to your parents as a newborn is that not a contribution enough, no?

Like I said  - the bucket list is just a gimmick in the end to for yourself to feel worthy. 

You are worthy already as is, don't need the bucket list to prove that to yourself.

It's not about whether or not I've actually contributed, but about the feeling itself.

I mean, if I've contributed in some obscure random way - that's delightful, but since I can't know - I can't feel that I've contributed.

So, it's a selfish ambition about doing something to make a positive difference - to make myself feel better.

I don't understand the concept of "worthy" and I don't recognise "value" in human beings. I wouldn't know how to determine value at all.

It's all about a good feeling  - and I would never objectively claim to be of value, no matter how much I feel I might have contributed.

So, it's a comfort blanket that may or may not have actual value. I would never be able to determine that. All I can hope for is the feeling that I've contributed. But a feeling can never be anything but subjective.

Feelings are created in your mind, and manifested in your entire body - many have been able to create feelings they desire through mind training and meditation.
    There are also many branches of psychology that deal with reframing experiences into positive feelings. 

Just saying you don't need a bucket list to create good feelings.

Our emotional body and mind is highly pliable. 

It's not really a bucket list since there's only a single entry :)

As for your position about how to change feelings, that's cool. But it's not my position. I'm not looking to feel good - I'm looking to contribute.

My own personal standard for contribution is that point at which I actually feel I've contributed. I'm not looking for applause or agreement. I'm looking for my own personal "stamp of quality" on something I've done - and that would make me feel good. But the feeling is not the goal - it's just the point at which I've reached my goal.

If I just wanted to feel good, I would never have dedicated my life to the pursuit of truth and understanding. I quickly realised that truth is a theory that may very well be utterly unattainable, and that by being honest - I'm facing one long uphill battle in modern society.

So, obviously, my approach is not about making myself feel good.
    edited June 2016
    @Octagon7711 except his video is very illogical in many ways. For instance that's not how life and death works in my opinions. The reason why we find ourselves here after almost 14 billion years by our scientists is because our universe was much more younger and smaller when it began, which means if there was only a space for 3 individuals to experience life in it, with 100 others in the queue, it would mean each life at beginning was between hundreds of millions years for us, but thankfully through death, the most advanced things our universe has allows us to not only space jump to the next available life for us when our turn comes, but to also jump through time in future so all those millions and billions years feel like a second has passed by. It's why I still feel after 30+ years on this planet unused on being alive. An average a universe could exist for 30-50 or even 100 billion years and hold for example 100.000 trillion individuals that are ready to participate. If the universe had only maximum space of 75.000 trillion individuals with 100.000 trillion to inhabit it one day that would mean we would start seeing new bodies being born lifeless and that would result in our and every other life form extinction on this planet when we surpass the limit.

If your parents didn't met and made you, you would be somewhere else, in a close period of this era. Now, again this is just my theory and using logic at best to understand more about this universe and myself. The other version can always be that this is all illusion, just another extended version of a dream I'm experiencing just like when I am sleeping for the purpose of feeling alive and that I'm not all alone. There are many possible scenarios and many things do not make sense at all like how one life, one self created existence can come in contact with another. It would be theoretically impossible because those two self created existences again would need to create a space and time that connects them both and to get connected requires something else that needs to exist and to create it and be discovered which there is no possible way in first place.

So, as far as I'm concerned this could be a NPC filled virtual reality MMORPG for me where my purpose was to make it look as real as possible to get immersed in, just like the games I thrive to be part of.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    No.

Not for me, I don't need it to make my life feel any more purposeful, but I understand why many need the blanket of meaning - it is more comforting.

The bucket list is a human attempt to give meaning to their life, based out of delusion of self-importance.

Nothing we do individually or collectively as human species will stand the test of time as we are not even a blip in the life of the universe.

Time destroys all.

Think about it.
    Meaning is a construct of consciousness and therefore affects conscious beings. There is no "attempt" to give meaning, just as there is no "attempt" to think. If a human thinks in terms of meaning then they have achieved meaning. Perception is reality to an individual and perception can be shared or related to.

Humanity is just as important/unimportant as any other collection of molecules or atoms in the Universe. While you attempt to make us seem miniscule, we are in fact equally sized to the rest of existence. Humans struggle with scale because we compare, we look for difference. Humanity is as much a part of the Universe as the Sun or or the Milky Way, because both celestial bodies are made of the same or similar substances that we are.

Nothing that happens in the Universe nor even the Universe itself matters... unless a human thinks it does.That is how human thought works. Attempting to apply non-human logic to human life is a wasted effort and accomplishes nothing. It is similar to attempting to explain, in the language of a mountain, what patience is, to a human child. Silliness.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited June 2016

DMKano said:

Feelings are created in your mind, and manifested in your entire body - many have been able to create feelings they desire through mind training and meditation.
    There are also many branches of psychology that deal with reframing experiences into positive feelings. 

Feelings are a product of our perception and environment. We affect our environment and our environment affects us. While I agree that the human mind holds sway over the lens for which they view the world...it is not wrong or in any way unjustified to struggle through life with a different shaded lens than rose.

If a man wants to struggle to prove (even only to himself) that he has made a difference, that he has contributed to the world and left some sort of legacy...then that is just fine. I think that is a worthy aim.

DMKano said:

Feelings are a product of our perception and environment. We affect our environment and our environment affects us. While I agree that the human mind holds sway over the lens for which they view the world...it is not wrong or in any way unjustified to struggle through life with a different shaded lens than rose.

If a man wants to struggle to prove (even only to himself) that he has made a difference, that he has contributed to the world and left some sort of legacy...then that is just fine. I think that is a worthy aim.
    Just to clarify, I'm not able to "prove" anything to myself.

I'm just acknowledging my limitations as a human being - which I believe include the inability to know for certain whether or not I've made a positive difference.

As such, I'm going for the "best" I can hope for - which is a personal feeling of having contributed. I don't think there's anything higher that I can aim for - at least not something that I can personally recognise. I guess my standard for significant contribution is different from the standard of many others, as it's not enough for me to make (a few) others feel good or to make my parents happy for having given birth to me. Also, even if I could make others feel good and recognise it was my doing - I could also be making them feel bad at other times, or I could be contributing negatively in other ways through neglect.

No, I think I need to do something closer to my potential - to generate a real feeling of having contributed according to my capacity as a human being.

To put it in simpler terms:

If I have the capacity to do a lot of good, then doing a little good is a waste of my potential.

Do note that I'm talking about myself exclusively. I'm not trying to involve or judge others here.
    edited June 2016
    Sometimes the greatest thing one can do is to do nothing. In fact if humanity did far less, we would not be less advanced than other species, even if we really want to believe that we are better. Reality is if most of the insects and animals were on a same planet like us, our chances of self destruction are far greater before a natural disaster occurs. In fact we are not only good at extincting ourselves, but the rest of the species and at the end the planet as a whole through pollution. We also have history to look back at and the Dinosaurs. God knows how many more years they were on this planet than us and still at least they left us a CLEAN world to evolve in, something we clearly won't be capable to achieve for other species ahead if this is how things remain.

Forget the fact that we are so pathetic that we bring life in this world only to slaughter it in the billions just to fed ourselves with some meat for the day, even though we are capable and intelligent to feed otherwise. If Heaven and Hell exist, it's here in worlds like these that we leave behind for whoever is fortunate or unfortunate to be part in them. We cannot simply face the truth that we share so many similarities with our other species, yet we choose to call ourselves something else than animal for instance. We share bones and blood and many other anatomical structure like they do and many animals have already proven they can learn and do and act far more intelligently than some humans can.

The way I see it and measure the maturity of the majority of todays humanity is by simply adding a decade for every millennium since A.D, which means we just turned into adults and God knows how many more years have to pass and so much suffering this world to endure to get to a place where we can focus on quality life over quantity for everyone who arrives here. Where we can make our planet to be presentable as a true advanced civilization for other civilizations to choose to be part of, which would boost our trade and tourism significantly.

edited June 2016
    Kopogero said:
    Sometimes the greatest thing one can do is to do nothing. In fact if humanity did far less, we would not be less advanced than other species, even if we really want to believe that we are better. Reality is if most of the insects and animals were on a same planet like us, our chances of self destruction are far greater before a natural disaster occurs. In fact we are not only good at extincting ourselves, but the rest of the species and at the end the planet as a whole through pollution. We also have history to look back at and the Dinosaurs. God knows how many more years they were on this planet than us and still at least they left us a CLEAN world to evolve in, something we clearly won't be capable to achieve for other species ahead if this is how things remain.

Forget the fact that we are so pathetic that we bring life in this world only to slaughter it in the billions just to fed ourselves with some meat for the day, even though we are capable and intelligent to feed otherwise. If Heaven and Hell exist, it's here in worlds like these that we leave behind for whoever is fortunate or unfortunate to be part in them. We cannot simply face the truth that we share so many similarities with our other species, yet we choose to call ourselves something else than animal for instance. We share bones and blood and many other anatomical structure like they do and many animals have already proven they can learn and do and act far more intelligently than some humans can.

The way I see it and measure the maturity of the majority of todays humanity is by simply adding a decade for every millennium since A.D, which means we just turned into adults and God knows how many more years have to pass and so much suffering this world to endure to get to a place where we can focus on quality life over quantity for everyone who arrives here. Where we can make our planet to be presentable as a true advanced civilization for other civilizations to choose to be part of, which would boost our trade and tourism significantly.
    Personally, I don't agree that doing nothing is better than contributing.

That said, I agree that we're laughably stupid and weak as a species. But that doesn't mean we should sit back and do nothing at all.

Also, I don't think that because animals did little to ruin the world - is an argument against human beings, because animals never had the same capacity to ruin the world.

You need to compare things from a more reasonable perception, in my opinion.

We do have the potential to do good - and it's not helpful to dwell on the bad. We just need to move on and learn from our mistakes.

That's my position, anyway.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    No bucket list, just things I want to do and get to them when I get to them.

For instance, I've wanted to travel more and have always done more "local" things with the idea that eventually I would start traveling.

Finally I realized that there was always something local happening so I should just start. Lo and behold how easy it was to make my first European trip to Italy. Now I will go to another country for a week and a half or two every year to two years. Once one has their passport it's really not that hard.

Still, I usually work on things that interest me and I always make time for the people in my life so no need for a list. Just a little push here and there.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    No.

Time destroys all.

Think about it.
    Meaning is a construct of consciousness and therefore affects conscious beings. There is no "attempt" to give meaning, just as there is no "attempt" to think. If a human thinks in terms of meaning then they have achieved meaning. Perception is reality to an individual and perception can be shared or related to.

Humanity is just as important/unimportant as any other collection of molecules or atoms in the Universe. While you attempt to make us seem miniscule, we are in fact equally sized to the rest of existence. Humans struggle with scale because we compare, we look for difference. Humanity is as much a part of the Universe as the Sun or or the Milky Way, because both celestial bodies are made of the same or similar substances that we are.

Nothing that happens in the Universe nor even the Universe itself matters... unless a human thinks it does.That is how human thought works. Attempting to apply non-human logic to human life is a wasted effort and accomplishes nothing. It is similar to attempting to explain, in the language of a mountain, what patience is, to a human child. Silliness.

And what is a consciousness a construct of?
    It's a byproduct of massive neural interconnectedness of the human brain. You damage the brain enough and lost connectivity results in unconsciousness that clearly shows up on brain scans.

So consciousness is a byproduct of our complex brain wiring. But why do we experience it - IMO it's a survival mechanism.

Survival instinct and mechanism is hardwired into every living species, human brain being highly interconnected and capable of higher reasoning - what better mechanism other than consciousness is there to preserve the survival of the species that are also capable of thoughts of destruction and suicide.

Human thought is an ocean of self-delusion, we think we are special and important because it's a survival mechanism that out higher brain adapted to deal questions of why are we here, what is the point of life and why go on?

Procreation, survival of the species - it's our programming, and our complex brain and consciousness has to make sense of our abstract thought somehow, so we create a lot of comfort blankets to shield us from the hard cold truth of inescapable erasure from existence 

What's your argument against improving our existence, then?

Our existence being limited isn't what I would call new information.

I mean, even if the time we have available is limited - what's your argument against making it better for us all - present and future generations, if possible?

It makes no sense to me to call it a blanket comfort if the limited time we have available can be enjoyed more than it's being enjoyed currently?

Does that mean you don't seek enjoyment yourself? Does it mean you don't help anyone with anything? Because you seem to be arguing against it being of any use.

Just curious - and I'm not trying to destroy your position. It just makes zero sense to me, quite frankly.

Your basic argument seems to be that if our existence isn't infinite - it doesn't matter. To me, that's nonsense.

I won't get into how every single scientific theory is nothing but that. As in, all we think we know could very well be a complete fabrication or delusion.

You don't have to go back more than a hundred years to find scientists claiming certain utter falsehoods as "hard facts" - because we didn't know better back then.

What makes you think our theories about the universe are infallible now? You're putting a lot of faith in a very, very limited species - if you ask me.
    DMKano said:
    DKLond said:
    DMKano said:
    DKLond said:

I would agree.  You don't need a reason to be happy.  You can just decide to be.  Be master of your own cause and effect.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

As we all live in the matrix, this is all an illusion anyways.  I'll let this program run it's course.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Kopogero said:
    Example, the latest Orlando massacre. That is just one example where an individual, clearly not intelligent enough by being impatient on clearing his bucket list ASAP, at such a young age, where he could just do the same 50-60 years later, after fully using and spending his available time.

I’m sure it didn’t make a difference to the 49 deceased whether the shooter had waited five or six decades so that he could “fully us[e] and spend[] his available time”.

Sorry to read about your friend.

Personally, I’d like to ascend Kili or Denali.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance