Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many watts are you gaming with?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
On my gaming laptop I'm running anywhere between 100-130 watts.  Both my CPU and GPU are running at 178F or 82C.  Just curious what others are using because I've seen some systems take up as much as 1k watts but run a lot cooler then my own.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    82c? wtf lol  I would get that checked out :D
  • FeralLokiFeralLoki Member UncommonPosts: 134
    82C is insane for a laptop, might wanna get one of those cooler pads you put under the laptop :)

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Much like DMKano here above, I'm using a much heavier PSU (750Watt) than I need, but it's a 'relic' from my times when I was using GXT460/660 in SLI, while now using a single GTX970...
    filmoret said:
    On my gaming laptop I'm running anywhere between 100-130 watts.  Both my CPU and GPU are running at 178F or 82C.  Just curious what others are using because I've seen some systems take up as much as 1k watts but run a lot cooler then my own.
    Watt usage has nothing to do with temperature. Temperature has more to do with cooling (either air or water) and dust coverage of parts in your system. And mostly when living in older buildings the more dust your system will collect. I'm living in a house that's over a century old and I need to remove dust from my PC every couple of months, if I don't then I'll notice the temperature of my PC run from the average (CPU ~50C when fully used) to hot (60-65C for the CPU)
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Just one recently: watt the hell am I playing this shitty mmo for?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    FeralLoki said:
    82C is insane for a laptop, might wanna get one of those cooler pads you put under the laptop :)

Yea maybe I'll contact msi.  It has been running like this since I got it.  Even with fans on turbo its 170F.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Running on a Kill-A-Watt, my computer, 2 1920x1200 IPS monitors, a 25W stereo amp, a 4-bay NAS, and a wireless bridge.

All of that, when stressing the computer to 100%, clocks in at just under 400W.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I have a 650w PSU to power my 350w usage and 300w LEDs and case mods.
    Wow those are some extensive LEDs and case mods. What are you running in there that's 300W worth?
    filmoret said:
    Keep in mind the first law of thermodynamics

Power isn't the only thing that factors into temperature.

The internal energy of a system will equal the inputs minus the outputs. Power is going in, some sort of work is coming out, and heat is coming out as a waste product (and entropy, but that's beyond the scope of this).

That means, temperature will be proportional to both the power input and the heat removal capacity. The higher the power, the higher the temperature. The better the heat removal capacity, the lower the temperature. The final temperature will be whatever equilibrium the power input and heat removal output reach for a given state.

You could have a video card that uses 1W of power, and gets to well above 82C, depending on how the installation and heat sink are set up.  Alternatively, it's possible for a 120,000,000W system to run at -271.3C

It's just a matter of applying the first law of thermodynamics: conservation of energy: that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I was just joking, but can you imagine how awesome my case would be?
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    750, IIRC.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    760W PSU, around 350W-400W used.

I can't remember if i had another card when i last measured it with a kill-a-watt, but the cpu was overclocked then as well, so it's probably around 350 now :)
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Why do people care how much power they use?

scorpex-x said:
    Why do people care how much power they use?

I can think of a few reasons:

Power isn't free. Most people have to pay an electric bill. Even if you don't, your paying for it in one way or another (it's tacked onto the rent, dorm fee, your parents, whatever)

The difference between 200 and 500W may not sound like a lot in computer terms. But you turn out the lights when you leave a room right? Going with your GIF, incandescents are only about 65W, CFLs are only 18W, and LEDs are down aroun 8W, and we still worry about conserving that small amount of energy. Your computer is equivalent to lighting up a whole lot of light bulbs.

More Power means more heat. 

More heat means more HVAC. A lot of people with high powered computers (500+W of actual use, not just PSU rating) -- that's the same heat output as a space heater, and enough to make a dent in the temperature of a normal sized room. Maybe if you live in an Arctic climate that's a bonus... most people don't.

More heat also means lower silicon life. It accelerates breakdown and causes ICs to wear more quickly.

Most ICs today are really constrained by power. There's a reason Intel shifted gears from the Pentium 4 to the Core architecture - they hit a power limitation. The way to faster chips isn't just by throwing more cores at the problem, or cranking up the frequency, it's in making your chips more efficient, you get the power per unit area (or volume) down, then you can pack more performance in the same unit area. And that is where the bulk of speed increases in computing has come from in the past decade, and why die shrinks are such a big deal.

More heat means more cooling required.

More cooling also means more noise. You can remove heat passively, but that gets to the next point - most solutions use a method to remove the heat mechanically. That's usually a fan someplace, and either more fans or faster fans, both of which add up to noise levels. And it also means more energy has to be spent on cooling. For most systems, a few fans isn't that significant, but it's still more power that isn't contributing directly to your computing, and it can start to add up once you start getting into the 6+ fans and water pumps and whatever else level of cooling.

And more cooling means more size, which means larger form factors are required. This kind of goes in hand with the former point - you can trade off size for noise (and vice versa), but the size goes up rather quickly. This is the biggest challenge in SFF/Laptop computing.

Now I have seen some pretty ingenious geothermal heat sinks that can be near silent and prevent the HVAC issue, but your looking into a lot of expense and effort and other limitations to get into that level of cooling.

So there are a few reasons to care about Power.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Just for you, I just checked on my power usage while playing Elsword.  154 W, though it rounds to the nearest multiple of 8.1 W, and then to the nearest integer after that.  But that is an actual measurement at the wall, not just an approximation.

3x Asus MG279Q (monitors)
    Core i7-4790K
    Radeon R9 Fury X
    Seasonic Snow Silent 750 W

Think that sounds low for a Fury X?  Well, it didn't think Elsword was too demanding, so while the clock speed bounced around, it was generally near 330 MHz, as compared to a nominal stock clock speed of 1050 MHz.  For comparison, idle at the desktop is 300 MHz, and a measurement at the wall of 113 W.

It's possible that only two of the three monitors are included in the measurement, as two have battery backup, while the third uses a UPS port that doesn't get battery backup.
    edited June 2016
    I don't know about the computer, but that's pretty good just for 3 LCD monitors. Computer sounds like it was near to idle with Elsword.

It always makes me chuckle when I hear people recommend those big 1kW+ PSUs for everyday use.
  • 7SilentNights7SilentNights Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I should be using at least a 500w-600w, but I'm running on a 430w. I'll upgrade before I get my second gpu.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    edited June 2016
    Here's a question for all of you power junkies; How many of you are using an APC; not just a power strip? If you live in an older home in particular you can really benefit from having clean power for that expensive PC  =)

Oh and I had a MSI laptop at some point.  MSI techs need to go back to "thermal paste school."  That may be your heat issue.  Worth getting checked out.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• TunaSamichTunaSamich Member CommonPosts: 1
    using a 1300w PSU I got on sale in 2010 cuz, well it was on sale for about half the price of an 800w at the time. Doubt I use even a quarter of that.
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    500 watts...lol what the hell you guys got, a trillion? Good god out of control!
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    1.21 GW
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Are we talking about power supply? No?