Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Name VR Games Not "Games" ?

Comments

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    sorry too busy playing Lucky's Tale To care.  :)
  • irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    I just volunteered to help the developers in this game 

http://uploadvr.com/soulkeeper-vive-alpha-preview/ 

They got free labor out of me because I have that Skyrim in VR itch and they are scratching it lol.

I played the demo again last night at a VR meetup and mannnnnnn this is why I want VR gaming...not for "experiences" but some good ol dungeon crawling and adventurin.

If any of you guys are interested in it or have questions I can ask the lead dev and studio owner on your behalf perhaps...or poke on their Facebook I lurk there now muahahaha.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited June 2016
    sorry too busy playing Lucky's Tale To care.  :)
    Yes, the game quoted as being " A polished yet unremarkable 3D platformer that doesn't use the Oculus Rift to its full potential"

As for Soulkeeper,  it's still an early phase, but more in line what I'd like to see a VR game being.. .although, I'm not looking forward to the immersion breaking teleport to move...  but you do what you gotta do.

Overall, at this stage it's been said to be roughly a tech demo,  but lets see what happens and how long it takes to a launch state.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

absolutely wrong in all contexts and even more so in this context, pretty much everything after that statement you just made is useless.

take care maybe monday we talk again
    No, it's just information you choose to neglect.  Pretty much every statement you've made thus far I could determine as useless...   because if you're expecting everyone to understand how hardware has to be "baked"  you're delusional.  It's just more of your erroneous rules like "WAIT 12 MONTHS!" or.. " IT HAS TO BE RETAIL RELEASED"  or ...  "THEY CAN'T BUILD GAMES WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW THE RESOLUTION!"   lololololol 
    Here is something else to keep you up at night worried.

In the late 90s it was time for me to buy a new TV so I bought one of the first 1080p TVs. There was literally nearly zero content for me to watch on it. About a year ago one channel was dedicated to showing HD 'demos' of scenes all day. that was it, no content. It was not for several years later did HD content start to come around.

When CD audio first came around it was the same story, very limited selections because artist where not recording in the new format yet, customers had to wait even though they had CD players.

Now I have no doubt that you will conjure up in your mind some clever response to shoot this all down but I think you are smart enough to know I am actually right on this.

good day
    What a load of rubbish. Your 1080p had loads of content as you could watch standard definition TV on it. When CD players became generally available the context was released on CD, any delay was weeks not years.

You are rewriting history to suit your VR fantasy.
    flat out lies I am afraid. I was there, I bought early into 1080p TVs and was early on buying CD players as well (and yes they came out at different times so I plugged that hole just now) and the selection for both when both came out on content was very low.

when I bought my 1080p TV it was EXACTLY as I said it was. one channel with content al all other channels nothing. HBO (I think it was) later came out with some content in 1080p. I bet you could look up these facts if you wanted to

maybe we should talk about Blueray instead that will be a time frame more in everyones memmory. How did that pan out? was me walking into Best Buy and seeing a small section for BlueRay movies but a huge selection of DVD movies just a fake memory? 

How about 4K how many channels currently? explain that one?
    How about when the VHS first came out? assuming your old enough to recall?
    How about when USB first game out?
    How about how many games there were when the first CD Rom came out?
    Stereo recordings? opps same story.

should I supply more examples?

oh and also when our family first got cable TV around 1979 or so guess how many channels it had? 1 and guess how long it aired? 4 hours a day (yes go look that up and correct me it might have been more than 4 hours)
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

absolutely wrong in all contexts and even more so in this context, pretty much everything after that statement you just made is useless.

No, it's just information you choose to neglect.  Pretty much every statement you've made thus far I could determine as useless...   because if you're expecting everyone to understand how hardware has to be "baked"  you're delusional.  It's just more of your erroneous rules like "WAIT 12 MONTHS!" or.. " IT HAS TO BE RETAIL RELEASED"  or ...  "THEY CAN'T BUILD GAMES WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW THE RESOLUTION!"   lololololol 

In the late 90s it was time for me to buy a new TV so I bought one of the first 1080p TVs. There was literally nearly zero content for me to watch on it. About a year ago one channel was dedicated to showing HD 'demos' of scenes all day. that was it, no content. It was not for several years later did HD content start to come around.

When CD audio first came around it was the same story, very limited selections because artist where not recording in the new format yet, customers had to wait even though they had CD players.

Now I have no doubt that you will conjure up in your mind some clever response to shoot this all down but I think you are smart enough to know I am actually right on this.

good day
    What a load of rubbish. Your 1080p had loads of content as you could watch standard definition TV on it. When CD players became generally available the context was released on CD, any delay was weeks not years.

flat out lies I am afraid. I was there, I bought early into 1080p TVs and was early on buying CD players as well (and yes they came out at different times so I plugged that hole just now) and the selection for both when both came out on content was very low.

when I bought my 1080p TV it was EXACTLY as I said it was. one channel with content al all other channels nothing. HBO (I think it was) later came out with some content in 1080p. I bet you could look up these facts if you wanted to

maybe we should talk about Blueray instead that will be a time frame more in everyones memmory. How did that pan out? was me walking into Best Buy and seeing a small section for BlueRay movies but a huge selection of DVD movies just a fake memory? 

oh and also when our family first got cable TV around 1979 or so guess how many channels it had? 1 and guess how long it aired? 4 hours a day (yes go look that up and correct me it might have been more than 4 hours)
    <sigh> 4k TVs don't just display 4k programing they display in lots of other formats, it's called backwards compatability. That was true of 1080p as I said before. 3D TVs don't just display 3D programming either, lots of people purchased them not caring much about 3D, but because of other features or price deals.

Blue ray is much the same, a blue ray player played DVDs as well so it had all that material as well as the higher quality Blue ray material. Same goes for stereo LPs, the players played 45s, 78s and mono just fine. Now I don't know much about early cable, but I bet in addition to that one cable channel the cable served up all the local broadcast channels too.

.... and yes I remember VHS and Betamax too and the format wars.

In most cases you are deliberately confusing exclusive content with available content. In the other cases you are exaggerating the lag between general commercial availability of the hardware and the free availability of content. When video recorders came out (VHS and Betamax) there was very little lag before video rental shops appeared. There was no lag before people started recording their own and swapping with friends and guess what that is what happened with other recordable formats including USB too.

You can provide more 'examples' if you like or you can just stop overreaching.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I tihnk there is a good chance that VR will be a large hit for film and tv.

Ummm, no.  Sorry, but that's not gonna be the case.  First off, the whole VR experience is predicated on the ability to turn your head around and see things that you could only see previously by turning your whole character or viewpoint around.

TV isn't filmed that way.  Then there's the case of individual units.  At any given time in my house there are usually 3 people watching the same TV.  I'll be goddamned if I'm spending $4,000 on individual VR headsets for the whole family just to watch the same straight-on experience I would get out of my 60" 4k TV that also has 120Hz refresh rate and only cost me $850 during a great Amazon sale.

No, not necessarily.  Not all software, or VR movies, will allow 360 degree viewpoints.  Some already restrict the FOV to 60, 90, or 180, as it's always been.  That doesn't mean the movie will still be 2D.

Stephen Spielberg was originally against it and called it dangerous, because directors want people to focus on specific shots in their scenes.  It seems he's changed his mind though and is now working on a VR project; an "adaptation of Ready Player One, a film that revolves around a VR world called the Oasis.".
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2016
    Saw the Sony announcement, they will be releasing SW Battlefront, Resident Evil 7, and FF in VR.  Those will certainly qualify as games.  Will wait and see the players reception and if VR can accommodate long hours of gameplay. 
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

good day

I'll just break this down to what this really is.

You're making shit up.  Plain and simple.

HDTV at 1080p AND 1080i always has and always could display plenty of different resolutions regardless of channels.  

We're not talking about CD players where tapes couldn't fit in them.  We're talking about resolution which I don't think you have the slightest grasp of.  Games release in DOZENS of resolutions today... your argument is invalidated by the simple fact that no game will ONLY play in 4K.  Content that's created for 4K is done so in addition to other definitions... Blu Ray included... you could watch the movie regardless if you had the Blu Ray version....

I'm going to end this with a question.. a simple question for you to answer --

Can a 4K monitor play a 1080p game? Yes or no?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    These are full games that will have VR

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

good day

HDTV at 1080p AND 1080i always has and always could display plenty of different resolutions regardless of channels.  

We're not talking about CD players where tapes couldn't fit in them.  We're talking about resolution which I don't think you have the slightest grasp of.  Games release in DOZENS of resolutions today... your argument is invalidated by the simple fact that no game will ONLY play in 4K.  Content that's created for 4K is done so in addition to other definitions... Blu Ray included... you could watch the movie regardless if you had the Blu Ray version....

Was there anyone who purchased a DVD player in the first couple of years who didn't already have a video recorder?

Movie not available on DVD? Just rent the VHS tape then. It's not like we all went out purchased the shiny new tech and immediately threw the old tech in the trash along with all the video tapes.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

So basically Final Star Ocean Fantasy and Resident Silent Hill Evil are getting hit with the VR gimmick. Two more reasons to stay far away from both games.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    And let us remember...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited June 2016

so here is all the things you have to proof
    prooving just one wrong does not invalidate my core point I am afraid I have many examples to illustrate my point. Now what you could do instead of all that work is focus on the point instead of the examples but that would go against stradgey I know

-1080p TV could not be purchased before cable TV had HD and before most over the air TV had the new format

-4K TV content was widely aviable when it first came out, with AAA movies and titles all over the place

-When CDs came out the record stores were instantly lined with new CD music titles everywhere reaching at least 30% o the store

-When CD Rom Games came out AAA titles had full featured games on day 1

-When BlueRay came out pretty much on day one there is major content and a lot of it.

-WHen Cable TV came out it was all many channels with content all day long and not just 1 channel for 4 hours like I suggest

wow..you have a lot of work ahead of you because disprooving just one of my claims, does not invalidate my point I am afraid.

plus, you also have to worry about what your reaction is going to be 3 years from now when there is a lot of AAA game content for VR as  I predict.

all the while keeping in mind you have stated more than once that you think a Gear VR is going to give you the same VR experience as an Oculus RIft or a Sony VR headset. Not similar, but exact.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited June 2016
    I was excited to hear about the E3 Demos for the PSVR system,  but then, the day after, reading through some reviews... I found an article that refutes that these experiences aren't really games at all.
    I bought the Vive about 2 months ago. I wouldn't write it off just yet - it is an experience unlike any other. At the same time, I would not expect "PC gaming" in VR.

The room-scale VR experiences are unlike anything else. I can't compare it to any PC game. It's more akin to going to a theme park. For that reason, I still play with VR regularly. I don't have to choose between PC or VR. They are so different that I can play both. Compared to say PS4 and PC, where I usually don't feel like playing one right after the other.

In that sense, I feel there is still hope for VR. As the "minigame experiences" become better, I expect there will be killer VR experiences that are too good to miss. I personally don't think these will happen by porting PC games to VR, but by evolving from current VR games.

The biggest downside of current generation VR is the graphical fidelity. Even with Vive (and CV Oculus), the resolution is nowhere near perfect. You can easily see pixels. Even worse, the lenses skew and blur the image noticeably. If you fiddle with it long enough, you might get an "ok" image. VR also absolutely requires high framerates - nausea is not an issue, as long as the framerate is constant and high. Combine all this together, VR will always be behind regular PC displays.

The fact that the VR experiences are "mini-gamy" is good. If they were simple ports of PC games, I would choose to play them on PC any day.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Roin said:
    So basically Final Star Ocean Fantasy and Resident Silent Hill Evil are getting hit with the VR gimmick. Two more reasons to stay far away from both games.
    They put a wait mode in FFXV to make it easy like the old final fantasy games, I know some people requires the game to be paused to think about what to do next.

SEANMCAD said:

prooving just one wrong does not invalidate my core point I am afraid I have many examples to illustrate my point. Now what you could do instead of all that work is focus on the point instead of the examples but that would go against stradgey I know

-1080p TV could not be purchased before cable TV had HD and before most over the air TV had the new format

-4K TV content was widely aviable when it first came out, with AAA movies and titles all over the place

-When CDs came out the record stores were instantly lined with new CD music titles everywhere reaching at least 30% o the store

-When BlueRay came out pretty much on day one there is major content and a lot of it.

-WHen Cable TV came out it was all many channels with content all day long and not just 1 channel for 4 hours like I suggest

wow..you have a lot of work ahead of you because disprooving just one of my claims, does not invalidate my point I am afraid.

plus, you also have to worry about what your reaction is going to be 3 years from now when there is a lot of AAA game content for VR as  I predict.

all the while keeping in mind you have stated more than once that you think a Gear VR is going to give you the same VR experience as an Oculus RIft or a Sony VR headset. Not similar, but exact.
    I'm going to ask again -- Can a 4K monitor play a 1080p game? Yes or no?

Yes.. or No Sean?

SEANMCAD said:

Yes.. or No Sean?
    I am going to state again

1. it doesnt matter if it can or not
    2. its not even related to the poliferation of 4k
    3. its not even tightly tied into the core point

you are venturing into going off topic.

Roin said:

According to the article in question.. FF isn't a full game.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasys-vr-demo-is-terrible-1782002012

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/14/11940920/final-fantasy-xv-vr-e3-2016

" It turns out that FFXV in VR looks a lot like classic arcade shooters like House of the Dead.

Playing the VR experience is exceedingly simple. It's a seated affair, so you don't have to worry about moving around too much, and you only need to use two buttons on the PS Move controller. One lets you warp around the level; the other is the trigger for your weapon. You point at where you want to go or what you want to shoot, and you push the appropriate button."

I know it will also be just another VR experience.. but.. Psychonauts.. I'd love to check that one out simply because the return of Psychonauts is awesome.

Just like how, I know it won't be more than a tech demo but Conkey on Hololens would be something I'd definitely play.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes.. or No Sean?

Why are you not answering the question?  Just answer the question.

Or.. admit you're wrong.. because everybody knows you are except you.  Just answer the question.

edited June 2016

Or.. admit you're wrong.. because everybody knows you are except you.  Just answer the question.
    I am not answering the question becuase its LIGHT YEARS away from the core point. its not even related to my example of the CORE POINT. I need you to focus on the CORE POINT. not the EXAMPLE when talking about the core point and then getting a few layers away from even the example that is a reference to the core point.

your off topic

you have gotten us so off topic I wonder if you even recall what the core point was that brought us to these examples

back to a core point I made awhile back I think its rather silly to suggest that full complete AAA quality content in large amounts need to be made aviable at or near day 1 of a new technology. I dont think that is a pattern that is repeated anywhere else other than maybe consoles.

Why would someone even think that is an expected normal formula is something I cant imagine much like I cant imagine why some people think a Gear VR is literally the exact same experience quality as a Sony VR or an Oculus but it appears those people do exist

SEANMCAD said:

I am not answering the question becuase its LIGHT YEARS away from the core point. its not even related to my example of the CORE POINT. I need you to focus on the CORE POINT. not the EXAMPLE when talking about the core point and then getting a few layers away from even the example that is a reference to the core point.

your off topic

you have gotten us so off topic I wonder if you even recall what the core point was that brought us to these examples
    Another one of your issues is that you usually deal with people that won't call you out on your shit when you try to obfuscate it to seem like you're keeping on track with the original point.  Unfortunately for you, that's just you trying to get out of showing yourself for what you truly are.  Wrong.

Your Quote:

"'why isnt there any VR content that runs at the full resolution of the CV1?'

because none of the dev kits had that resolution.

If you are going to create a super hit game that takes 3 years to make its kinda nice to know what resolution you have at your disposal"

and your other quote

"In the late 90s it was time for me to buy a new TV so I bought one of the first 1080p TVs. There was literally nearly zero content for me to watch on it."

and then your question:

"When BlueRay came out pretty much on day one there is major content and a lot of it."

And all that can be put to rest when you answer the question....  

"Can a 4K monitor play a 1080p game? Yes or no?"

If a 4K monitor can play games with lower resolution -- then games could be developed for a set irregardless of what the final resolution is.  Games don't need ot use that full resolution.. in fact none of the sets out there have games with 4K resolution, so your point is simply invalidated that VR is on the market today... so developers didn't make games not because of resolution at all.  This is you making shit up as an excuse for them.

If you answer YES to a 4K monitor can play a 1080P game, then you can also answer "YES" when the question of, could Blu Ray Drives still play Standard Definition Movies.  We all know it's true.. content is backwards compatible... Blu Ray players were just a step up in quality, but you always could and always would be able to play regular DVDs.   

Lets go back to the final point..  You bought a 1080P TV... that had ZERO content.. you watched a demo channel you said..  Well thats bullshit.  I owned plenty of 1080P TVs, and I've watched standard definition TV on them... even to this day you can watch standard definition on it.   That doesn't change a thing.

So last time...  

Can a 4k monitor play 1080P games?  Yes or No? 

edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

your off topic

Another one of your issues is that you usually deal with people that won't call you out on your shit when you try to obfuscate it to seem like you're keeping on track with the original point.  Unfortunately for you, that's just you trying to get out of showing yourself for what you truly are.  Wrong.

Your Quote:

If you are going to create a super hit game that takes 3 years to make its kinda nice to know what resolution you have at your disposal"

and your other quote

"In the late 90s it was time for me to buy a new TV so I bought one of the first 1080p TVs. There was literally nearly zero content for me to watch on it."

and then your question:

"When BlueRay came out pretty much on day one there is major content and a lot of it."

If a 4K monitor can play games with lower resolution -- then games could be developed for a set irregardless of what the final resolution is.  Games don't need ot use that full resolution.. in fact none of the sets out there have games with 4K resolution, so your point is simply invalidated that VR is on the market today... so developers didn't make games not because of resolution at all.  This is you making shit up as an excuse for them.

If you answer YES to a 4K monitor can play a 1080P game, then you can also answer "YES" when the question of, could Blu Ray Drives still play Standard Definition Movies.  We all know it's true.. content is backwards compatible... Blu Ray players were just a step up in quality, but you always could and always would be able to play regular DVDs.   

Lets go back to the final point..  You bought a 1080P TV... that had ZERO content.. you watched a demo channel you said..  Well thats bullshit.  I owned plenty of 1080P TVs, and I've watched standard definition TV on them... even to this day you can watch standard definition on it.   That doesn't change a thing.

So last time...  

like I said

1. it doesnt matter
    2. at best it barely even touches one of my 7 or so EXAMPLES that refer to a point
    3. it doesnt address the core point at all even remotely.

for your reference here is the core point:
    back to a core point I made awhile back I think its rather silly to suggest that full complete AAA quality content in large amounts need to be made aviable at or near day 1 of a new technology. I dont think that is a pattern that is repeated anywhere else other than maybe consoles.

Why would someone even think that is an expected normal formula is something I cant imagine much like I cant imagine why some people think a Gear VR is literally the exact same experience quality as a Sony VR or an Oculus but it appears those people do exist

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

your off topic

Your Quote:

and your other quote

and then your question:

So last time...  

like I said

1. it doesnt matter
    2. at best it barely even touches one of my 7 or so EXAMPLES that refer to a point

Answer the question Sean.  

There's no postulating, there's no getting out of it... I explained the reasons why the answer matters, and it does, because you seem to have an excuse for everything.  So answer the question so the people know you understand you are wrong.  The people need to know the self-described VR fanboy understands that it has nothing to do with the resolution why Developers wasted 4 years of development kits and VR has mostly meager demos planned for the forseeable future.

The people are waiting....

Can a 4K monitor play 1080P games?  Yes or No? 

edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

your off topic

Your Quote:

and your other quote

and then your question:

So last time...  

like I said

1. it doesnt matter

Answer the question Sean.  

There's no postulating, there's no getting out of it... I explained the reasons why the answer matters, and it does, because you seem to have an excuse for everything.  So answer the question so the people know you understand you are wrong.  The people need to know the self-described VR fanboy understands that it has nothing to do with the resolution why Developers wasted 4 years of development kits and VR has mostly meager demos planned for the forseeable future.

The people are waiting....

Can a 4K monitor play 1080P games?  Yes or No? 
    dude....the 'people' arent waiting other than you and your other accounts. just telling you as a side note