Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Housing

mappammappam Member UncommonPosts: 31
What game do YOU think has the best housing and why? Also what game do you think will have the best in the new games that are on the horizon (Black Desert?? looks promising).

I need a new game. Been playing EQ2 and it seems (to me) to have the best housing I have found. Am I missing something? Thanks for your opinion on this - I really appreciate your input! 

I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well WildStar has a solid housing system, it is pretty much a smoother and more versatile SWG in that regard. 

SW:ToR has a fairly solid one. 

Ofc both of these suffer from being instanced. 

EQ:N seems like it will have a very good system. 

But all time best SWG for it´s time... by todays standards it is not as impressive but back then it was mindblowing. 

This have been a good conversation

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    mappam said:
    What game do YOU think has the best housing and why? Also what game do you think will have the best in the new games that are on the horizon (Black Desert?? looks promising).

I need a new game. Been playing EQ2 and it seems (to me) to have the best housing I have found. Am I missing something? Thanks for your opinion on this - I really appreciate your input! 

I havent played a ton of MMOs but I will say I have played EQ2 and its the worst housing system I have ever played in an MMO, Multiplayer or Single Player game.

You are missing a lot, if a house doesnt have any effect on your character outside of the house then whats the point of housing?

Regardless my personal favorite MMO for housing is Wurm Online and itss best to just try the game out rather than explain, debate, compartmentalize or even visualize something that needs to be experienced to undersatnd. Its not for everyone but for those who do like it they love it.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nem1nem1 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    UO, nothing I've seen has compared.  The only bad part was it took up alot of the open ground, one of the reasons modern games have gone the instanced route.
  • mappammappam Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Thanks for the feedback! Sean - is WURM online the same as Unlimited?. I tried WildStar and didn't like it = I got stuck and asked for help - no help at all. Ask community, asked in game. Finally gave up - bad community as far as I could tell.

I have not tried ArcheAge - I do not like most PvP - is it any good as far as PvE and other aspects of the game?

Again - thank you so much!

nem - you were posting at the same time. I rather like instance = there is no searching for spots, generally you can keep your property if you do not play for awhile (EQ2) and it does not get taken away.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    FFXIV's housing is a bit underrated. While it's not as flexible as say, SWG or Wildstar's housing, it brings a lot more utility to the game than either of those games. Chocobo training, gardening, and air ships are all integrated into FFXIV's housing system.
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619
    If what you want housing for is decorating, then you are already playing the best there is, EQ2. Wildstar is only considered good if you like housing to give your character bonuses, the system itself isnt very good. And ArcheAge is a much more minimalistic version of EQ2, but non-instanced. 

Honestly, it depends on why you want housing. But for building what you want, crafting your own furniture (and walls, roof, or any other part of the house), EQ2 is definitely the king of the ring. It doesnt give you bonuses or provide anything for your character, but if you want to build your dream house, or spend the day decorating, no other system comes close. 
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    edited January 2016
    I really enjoy the Dimension system in Rift. It is instanced, if that's a concern. You get a key to a basic plot (of which there are many different sizes/environments) and can add trees, plants, flowers,pools and water effects. Build basic dwellings, furnish them (no decoration of walls though) and add environment effects including; time of day and rain. I've spent a lot of time playing with building a nice home in a suitable habitat, really enjoyed it.

Dimension items are plenty available on the auction house and come as rewards from minion adventures. The keys are available on the AH and you get your first basic dimension early on via a quest.

http://www.dimensiongallery.com/  Shows off a lot of great work by players.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have not played Rift since the first few months of release,that housing idea sounds solid,not sure i could fathom the game enough to go back and check it out though.
    Yes as noted FFXIV's is pretty good for unique which is what Square was known for years in creative type ideas,however actually getting to that point was enough  to drive me away.

There are so many systems done so poorly in mmorpg's it is frustrating to watch.I know the real truth behind all the problems and it is $$$  devs just won't afford the cost of doing things properly within the ideas of a MMOrpg.

Housing should be part of the world,the life we are living,we should be harvesting materials to build our house.We should need upkeep and ways to customize the system.We should have working doors and working windows etc etc.There should be a central government that controls the plots and taxes as well players shoudl have professions to support their everyday life.

RPG's are SUPPOSE to be more than generated maps,quests and raid bosses,they are suppose to be a world of ROLE PLAYING.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Minecraft by far, you make it your own.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    UO .. still easily the best housing mechanics made to date
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Wizardry said:
    There are so many systems done so poorly in mmorpg's it is frustrating to watch.I know the real truth behind all the problems and it is $$$  devs just won't afford the cost of doing things properly within the ideas of a MMOrpg.
    Even with a billion dollars at their disposal they can't do things properly if there are too many cooks in the kitchen.  It doesn't take three people to screw in a lightbulb... but they have three people assigned to the task nonetheless.  
  • LyikosLyikos Member UncommonPosts: 52
    So is there any modern games with SWG-like non instanced place anywhere housing. I heard Arche Age had that system, but I didn't hear many good things about it - mainly it's pay to win.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    DMKano said:
    ArcheAge hands down for me - it creates a lot of drama and player conflict which is desirable in a PvP game.
    What he said. Gotta love housing in auroria, someone is always there to ruin our happy farming or sun tanning :D.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Oh don't forget the housing in Daoc. You can decorate gardens, have a mansion, sell things, craft and decorate it with trophies + the PvP in this game is cool if you find someone to play with :)
    THANK you all for the replies and suggestions!

I was in beta for RIFT and may try it again if they have added housing. I did read that in ArcheAge housing is Very Limited = seems everyone wants one and so there aren't any available most of the time. 

I really like the aspect of a game where you can take time and just CHILL - decorate or move stuff around. Craft or cook etc. Those times when you are waiting for a phone call or getting ready to go out. Can't really PLAY the game - you get what I mean.

I have not played DaoC or MineCraft in ages either - may look up both again. I may also tyr the demo for the new FFXIV.

THANKS again!! I really appreciate all the feedback! Hugs to you all

• vinillavinilla Member UncommonPosts: 24
    nem1 said:
    UO, nothing I've seen has compared.  The only bad part was it took up alot of the open ground, one of the reasons modern games have gone the instanced route.
    Yes, there is nothing even close to Ultima Online housing system! I loved to build my home from scratch, to make it comfortable and to arrange it with all the flowers and trees i grow on my own ... UO has actually the only REAL housing so far !
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Vanguard had a great Housing system too bad its down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    UO Is even more advance than The Sims when it comes to housing design. Those who don't think that is true go try it and you'll see.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited January 2016
    For me its been Wildstar. Heard SWG had best but sadly I never got into that game. From what I can tell, the biggest difference was that you could just plant a house out in the open world. Not really a big deal and id probably prefer it that way. Black Desert seems to be doing the same.

Worst one by far is FFXIV for me. They took an already bad design, the housing system in LotRO, and made it even worse. At least LotRO opened up new instances as needed where FFXIV has "server limitations."
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Wurm Online
    Wurm Online
    Wurm Online
    Wurm Online
    Wurm Online
    Wurm Online
    Wurm Online

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    SEANMCAD said:
    mappam said:

I havent played a ton of MMOs but I will say I have played EQ2 and its the worst housing system I have ever played in an MMO, Multiplayer or Single Player game.

You are missing a lot, if a house doesnt have any effect on your character outside of the house then whats the point of housing?

Regardless my personal favorite MMO for housing is Wurm Online and itss best to just try the game out rather than explain, debate, compartmentalize or even visualize something that needs to be experienced to undersatnd. Its not for everyone but for those who do like it they love it.
    bit shocked to hear that.one thing i give EQ2 is the good housing system.everyone i know who even hated it enjoyed the housing.
    SWTOR  worth a try.
    i do miss the UO/SWG housing where the housing and vendors were part of the open world and towns were made .to me those were the best
  • Writhe777Writhe777 Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Glitch had great housing, it wasn't a traditional MMO it was a humor heavy, crafting MMO. You did have to assemble the base furniture, but each piece of furniture you would add free or pay designs to, however many, and they would stay with each individual piece. Excess furniture could be stored in the interface, if you lacked space. You could resell furniture as well, but not walls, floors, and home / tower designs. In addition all storage furniture, cabinets etc had actual storage. Different size cabinets had however many slots and each slot could hold a 12 slot bag full in each, or one stack of an item with no bag.Then there were SDB's which only held one item, but...that box would hold 10,000 stacks, of whatever item, so 10,000 x 10-1000 per stack depending. Most used SDB's for the most basic crafting items, but you could use SDB's as vending machines too. Each persons street had a Tower which was for display or sales, it had 10 floors when maxed, houses had 3 floors. Houses and Towers ppl could help you build by donating building materials.Towers all items had the option to have price tags, if tagged for sale anyone could visit and buy. (yes there was an auction house too) All front yards and towers were public, houses and backyards were private, unless specified. There was also no item # limit  for houses / towers. Plus options for plants and other harvesting items on your street, front or back. Home streets connected end to end so you could just wander. Your butler(mailbox) could give or receive items from ppl, as well as normal mail. Everything was free form, no nodes. Items did not dissolve when dropped, and there was paper, both those made freeform designs easier yet. If you were wondering about clutter, you got points for donating items + vendors. Also the game had an open API which made player made routes, systems, ways to look up who had what , or resources, or who was selling what items, possible. 

After that i was spoiled...Puppet Guardian has decent housing also, odd niche MMORPG but... you craft 95%+ of things, which makes the variety of object and clothing options rather ridiculous. But LotR isnt bad, but its not great either. EQ2 is decent though. I have a hard time finding a balance between gameplay i like, and housing. Usually i still find one class i like but never enough to last enough to get me to stay until end game. Aeon i find the gameplay to be, ok, same goes for Wildstar, and Archage. Wildstars housing is one of the best at the current time though, i do like the variety it has. Wakfus housing is not the best by far, nor is it the worst, but its one of the few out there that has both a personal house system, and a guild house system, and both are free, so that's in their favor even if options are lacking. I liked Uncharted Waters gameplay but their housing wasnt the best (course thats an older game too but...) and like Aeon and a few others it goes away if either you dont pay or you aren't subbed, although i give them bonus points because when the rent is too far gone the house actually collapses. I tend to try to get my housing fix in Minecraft and Terraria clones, and similar games, and leave the MMORPG's for action, that doesn't mean i don't still hunt to try and find a game that has both...but as someone else pointed out great  housing + great gameplay is a very rare thing to find.
    Post edited by Writhe777 on
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Akulas said:
    UO Is even more advance than The Sims when it comes to housing design. Those who don't think that is true go try it and you'll see.
    + UO .................
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    edited June 2016
    tawess said:
    Well WildStar has a solid housing system, it is pretty much a smoother and more versatile SWG in that regard. 

SW:ToR has a fairly solid one. 

Ofc both of these suffer from being instanced. 

EQ:N seems like it will have a very good system. 

But all time best SWG for it´s time... by todays standards it is not as impressive but back then it was mindblowing. 
    SWG would still be pretty strong even today - the ability to stack items and create crap out of nothing (remember people building fish tanks out of random garbage?) set it apart. Plus, the fact that you weren't just building a house, but participating in designing and defending a town remains, as far as I know, unique in the genre.