Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What We Know About One Tamriel

13»

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I figured One Tamriel was coming at some point. They started talking about the conversion probably around the time Orsinium released. They wanted all zones to be handled in a similar way. Though I was not expecting total removal of faction limitations.

I am looking forward to it. I bet this is going to mean a lot for future content that isnt going to be in DLCs. Of course they also need to raise the amount of people allowed into a zone before creating a copy as well IMO.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Hmmph..one tamriel...one direction.... 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Ides385Ides385 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    There seems to be a few misconceptions about gear and leveling when the game scales, let me clarify.

Your gear scales according to your level and your gear's level. If you have level 40 gear and you are level 40 your gear will scale to max level. If you have level 20 gear and you are level 40 your gear will not fully scale. In other words if you wear the max level gear that you can, your gear will fully scale. A cp160 hundings set on a cp160 toon should be the same as level 40 hundings on a level 40 toon.

There is some endgame gear that is only sensible to use at endgame (particularly jewelry), but for the most part crafted gear and generic jewelry is usually good enough for most content. The big difference that people have to work for is leveling all their skills, passives and cp. By the time you finish leveling your skills and passives you'll probably be at cp160 and able to wear endgame gear anyway. You'll get a bit more of a boost as you work up to cp501 (the cp cap past the gear cap). That said you can still be capable without maxed out skills and passives, granted you wisely chose which ones to level early on.

TLDR; Wisely choose which skills and passives to level early on for your role. Craft gear sets at or near your level to get the most out of scaling. Don't expect to be top tier, but you should be viable enough for all content except endgame trials and maybe the ICP dungeons. It also takes practice and research to be good at your role.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    If you don't do any quests and just roam around killing NPCs, what is the leveling like?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Ides385 said:
    There seems to be a few misconceptions about gear and leveling when the game scales, let me clarify.

Your gear scales according to your level and your gear's level. If you have level 40 gear and you are level 40 your gear will scale to max level. If you have level 20 gear and you are level 40 your gear will not fully scale. In other words if you wear the max level gear that you can, your gear will fully scale. A cp160 hundings set on a cp160 toon should be the same as level 40 hundings on a level 40 toon.

There is some endgame gear that is only sensible to use at endgame (particularly jewelry), but for the most part crafted gear and generic jewelry is usually good enough for most content. The big difference that people have to work for is leveling all their skills, passives and cp. By the time you finish leveling your skills and passives you'll probably be at cp160 and able to wear endgame gear anyway. You'll get a bit more of a boost as you work up to cp501 (the cp cap past the gear cap). That said you can still be capable without maxed out skills and passives, granted you wisely chose which ones to level early on.

TLDR; Wisely choose which skills and passives to level early on for your role. Craft gear sets at or near your level to get the most out of scaling. Don't expect to be top tier, but you should be viable enough for all content except endgame trials and maybe the ICP dungeons. It also takes practice and research to be good at your role.
    I made a comment earlier about gear.

My worries are:

If I spend time in a zone such as Wrothgar... say as a level 50 but with a low champion level. Will the gear I pick up there, be less than a player with a higher champion level? 

I'm worried about enjoying the content but screwing myself on the gear progression. I don't know if my worries are valid.  

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    I just dont get the appeal of this sort of thing.  EQ2 had the right idea with mentoring down only.  

So much of the fun of RPGs is the progression and while this doesn't remove the progression totally it SEVERELY lessens the impact of it.  Its a lot less of an adventure if you can tackle most everything right away.  Id rather have 95% of stuff can slaughter me and I slowly work that % down as i grow stronger.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    syriinx said:
    I just dont get the appeal of this sort of thing.  EQ2 had the right idea with mentoring down only.  

So much of the fun of RPGs is the progression and while this doesn't remove the progression totally it SEVERELY lessens the impact of it.  Its a lot less of an adventure if you can tackle most everything right away.  Id rather have 95% of stuff can slaughter me and I slowly work that % down as i grow stronger.
    It's fine in early progression, but once the gap gets too wide IMHO it starts to be detrimental. When one level becomes more powerful than a god to a lower level it just makes things all the more unappealing to me.

There has got to be a better way of giving progression that is satisfying with less of a negative effect.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited June 2016
    I think this is a good direction for this sort of MMO to go in. Exclusivity/gating of content does benefit ESO as it was never an expected thing for a large part of the playerbase who are not "MMOers" but rather ES fans looking for an expansive ES world to gather in with friends and enjoy. The more they turn the game into an online-modded version of the single player games the more it seems to meet what the players are really looking for.
  • wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Well I find it interesting, I have a bad feeling about this, but will wait and see how it plays it. If Zos does not get a handle on the cheating in the game and keep banned players banned, nothing they add will matter as more and more player lose faith and people stop spending money.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    laserit said:
    syriinx said:

It's fine in early progression, but once the gap gets too wide IMHO it starts to be detrimental. When one level becomes more powerful than a god to a lower level it just makes things all the more unappealing to me.

There has got to be a better way of giving progression that is satisfying with less of a negative effect.
    If player stats were static and "leveling" only opened up more possibilities for skills you would get both the sense of progression, becoming more powerful but not too much and when you visited old areas the NPCs would still cause as much damage as day one. 
  • quynhbds12345quynhbds12345 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Smart move. I feel like I'd actually go back and try to play again.

Are the world bosses and the ghost quest still buggered? XD

What about that annoying skill delay?
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Great news to me. Sounds like ESO is getting closer to what an Elderscrolls games was about. Exploring the whole game world like you could do in Morrowind and screw the stupid faction thing that should have never been in the game at all.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    Kilrain said:
    If you don't do any quests and just roam around killing NPCs, what is the leveling like?
    Simple question but the answer is not. 

In a "traditional" game you gain xp by questing and/or killing mobs and then doing the gear grind. And if that was  what ESO was then I could say e.g. like game X you really have to do the quests; or like game Y you can take them or leave them.

Very simplistic answer:
    If you don't want to do quests it is entirely possible to level by killing mobs. Doing both is faster but if you can "level" simply by killing mobs.

More accurate but still simplified answer:
    A huge part of ESO is a) skills b) Champion System - more skills basically. To get skills you first need to gain skill points. Then spend skill points on skills you have unlocked. To gain skills and to unlock skills you need to do quests, dungeons, explore and kill mobs. And there is more.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    syriinx said:

See my answer above to Kilrain's question.

Leveling to 50 is only a part - and a relatively small part - of a characters progression in ESO. Its not that far off the mark to say that the 1 to 50 experience is simply an extended tutorial first time through. It could be closer to 100% of stuff slaughtering you not 95% until your character develops. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Now I just need people to play with....lol. 
  • solochoowookiesolochoowookie Member UncommonPosts: 54
    I loved the game, but canceled after waiting and waiting for a barbershop. I would give this game a shot if they addressed the recustom issue. Sure I could re-roll, and now with One Tam maybe that is less of a issue, but why not give players the basic barbershop features we have been asking for. Customization is the cornerstone of immersive and emergent open world game play. When all other games (even SWTOR) do this, how can ESO continue to miss the boat on this basic feature.
  • wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I loved the game, but canceled after waiting and waiting for a barbershop. I would give this game a shot if they addressed the recustom issue. Sure I could re-roll, and now with One Tam maybe that is less of a issue, but why not give players the basic barbershop features we have been asking for. Customization is the cornerstone of immersive and emergent open world game play. When all other games (even SWTOR) do this, how can ESO continue to miss the boat on this basic feature.
    you did read where they WILL be adding a barbershop feature right?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    Kilrain said:
    Simple question but the answer is not. 

In a "traditional" game you gain xp by questing and/or killing mobs and then doing the gear grind. And if that was  what ESO was then I could say e.g. like game X you really have to do the quests; or like game Y you can take them or leave them.

Very simplistic answer:
    If you don't want to do quests it is entirely possible to level by killing mobs. Doing both is faster but if you can "level" simply by killing mobs.

More accurate but still simplified answer:
    A huge part of ESO is a) skills b) Champion System - more skills basically. To get skills you first need to gain skill points. Then spend skill points on skills you have unlocked. To gain skills and to unlock skills you need to do quests, dungeons, explore and kill mobs. And there is more.

Also want to add that in the last DB update, they changed one of the armor traits to "Training" that gives + XP on mob kills only - it doesn't give you + XP for quest turn-ins, just killing - and it stacks, so crafted armor with the training trait in all slots gives you a whole lot of extra XP... grinders rejoice! :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited June 2016
    Iselin said:

Also want to add that in the last DB update, they changed one of the armor traits to "Training" that gives + XP on mob kills only - it doesn't give you + XP for quest turn-ins, just killing - and it stacks, so crafted armor with the training trait in all slots gives you a whole lot of extra XP... grinders rejoice! :)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Ides385Ides385 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    laserit said:
    Ides385 said:

I made a comment earlier about gear.

My worries are:

If I spend time in a zone such as Wrothgar... say as a level 50 but with a low champion level. Will the gear I pick up there, be less than a player with a higher champion level? 

I'm worried about enjoying the content but screwing myself on the gear progression. I don't know if my worries are valid.  
    The gear you get will always be appropriate for your level or cp the way it is now. So you would get cp30 armor and your buddy gets cp160 armor.