Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs Discuss Why They Are Relaunching Darkfall

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageDevs Discuss Why They Are Relaunching Darkfall

The Darkfall: New Dawn site has been updated with a lengthy discussion and FAQ about why it is that the development team is relaunching the original game with improvements made for its particular vision. Of particular note is the acknowledgement that the original Darkfall was crippled by critical issues that hurt its wider appeal.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Would be nice if they totally reworked the interface. Bad interface was one of the reasons I didnt play much Darkfall in the first place.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited March 2016
    They're releasing it to make money.

However, their explanation for why they're re-re-re(?)-releasing this game seems to show that they are very passionate about it.  I'm very passionate about owning an Ferrari 458 Italia.  The problem in both cases is: are the funds available to back up the passion?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Meh big deal, maybe if they were re-releasing City of Heroes or a Shadowbane HD edition or something, but meh.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    The original DF was killer. I can't wait for this new version...

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    no it wasn't. it was branded Grindfall for a reason. the only killer thing about it was if you were a vet that had been macroing for 3 years.

the only thing DF did well was the accuracy/responsiveness  of it's combat, which granted it's a big part of a pvp game. however, a lot of things were very shitty in that game, starting with the fact that there was nothing else to do but pvp (and grind to keep up to everyone else so you wouldn't be gimped in pvp).
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    edited March 2016
    of the 2 new df's this is the one i think will be more successful. it actually seems like they are trying to grow the playerbase by emphasising the mmo aspects like trading and empire building. this will bring in players who like sandboxes but aten't into arena simulators.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• celestialimmortalcelestialimmortal Member UncommonPosts: 27
    this is going to be a good year. Im sick of the shit that has been released since the original df1 was shut down. The only other game i think is worth checking out is maybe Camelot unchained
  • celestialimmortalcelestialimmortal Member UncommonPosts: 27

no it wasn't. it was branded Grindfall for a reason. the only killer thing about it was if you were a vet that had been macroing for 3 years.

the only thing DF did well was the accuracy/responsiveness  of it's combat, which granted it's a big part of a pvp game. however, a lot of things were very shitty in that game, starting with the fact that there was nothing else to do but pvp (and grind to keep up to everyone else so you wouldn't be gimped in pvp).

For me personally the grind is one of the things that made DF1 special. I liked the fact i had to work my ass of for 6 months just to have necromancy maxed out...you know "sense of accomplishment" and shit like that.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

For me personally the grind is one of the things that made DF1 special. I liked the fact i had to work my ass of for 6 months just to have necromancy maxed out...you know "sense of accomplishment" and shit like that.

I see that as a pve player's mindset; a sense of accomplishment in a pvp game for me comes from increasing my skill and tactical/strategic gameplay, not from grinding an xp bar or sitting my toon on a tree for hours on end to harvest resources.
  • IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    LOL @ the people nah saying
    Just go play the same carbon copy crap you have been since 2002, its that simple.
    Dont want to play something different? Then go back to theme park cookie cutter theme thats been beat to death for the last decade.

• kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited March 2016

itchmon said:

of the 2 new df's this is the one i think will be more successful. it actually seems like they are trying to grow the playerbase by emphasising the mmo aspects like trading and empire building. this will bring in players who like sandboxes but aten't into arena simulators.

^
    Ditto, New Dawn is the more promising because they focus on the sandbox aspect, adding content for pve and crafting/trading crowds instead of the pvp gankbox arena that seems Rise of Agon.

Hope they get the game up soon coz i want to play a new sandbox, i cant' stand anymore all these abortions wow clones.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Literally the footage of DF1.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    What do people see as the main points as to why a reboot of the original DF will be better than DFUW? 
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    YashaX said:
    What do people see as the main points as to why a reboot of the original DF will be better than DFUW? 
    most the darkfallers never played uw..

uw was a abomination
  • loghorizon01loghorizon01 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Which DF reboot has more players? I don't know if I will play it, I am just curious.
    Blogging here a little bit: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/loghorizon01
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited June 2016
    itchmon said:
    This.  I'm highly concerned about creating 50+ hotkeys though.  I'm also not in love with everybody is everything all the time.  I will definitely give New Dawn a shot though.

Most of the discussions of the players that have played dfuw were about RoA.  But they are the arena PvP only crowd for the most part.  I have no interest in playing more of the PvP only, arena combat is everything Darkfall.
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    The only thing it managed to kill was itself.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The original DF was flat out a horrible game.  It had so many problems there just is not enough time to list them.  Thinking it was going to be something like the old UO was a huge mistake.  I get a real chuckle out of people who post on this board like it was a decent game.