Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's Say You're Starting Skyrim From Scratch Today

Comments

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    H0urg1ass said:
    Your problem is 99% likely to be load order related if you're crashing.  Really really for real download LOOT and run it, then see if you're still crashing.  If you are, then start backing out mods one at a time from the most recent one you loaded until it stops crashing.

Oh believe me, I do. It's built into my Nexus Mod Manager. I have even built my share of bashed files to deal with their little gems. My point was simply that for all the brilliance and talent in the mod community, in general it is often less in the willingness to help explain the mysteries. I enjoy the super realistic ENBs and most of them will post on their pages, "here are the mods I used to get this look". (Insert 250 mod names) Then factor in that half the mods used are no longer being supported or replaced with new versions which in this version no longer work with half the other mods unless you get this .rar file off this linked personal moder site's FTP server... you know what I mean.

I love the moding community. I have loved them since NeverWinter Nights when the moders were able to achieve things in Bioware's game that they swore were impossible. (robes). They are so talented but tend to act like the Illuminati when it comes to sharing their secret. ;)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    edited June 2016
    There are a couple survival mods for Skyrim that make things interesting, realistic diseases and cures, needing to manage your hunger / thirst / health. I can't remember the name of the last one I used specifically, but there are at least a few with varying features (one of them had built in cold weather debuffs, for which you could build a fire or wear a cloak to reverse).

I also love SkyUI, but I've never played Skyrim on console, and am unsure if the UI needs messing with.

Edit: Just looked a few up. Frostfall is a survival mod with environmental debuffs and survival elements. Realistic Needs and Diseas is your hunger, thirst, hygiene mod of relevance.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    edited June 2016
    Bear in mind that because of how the engine works, many mods except basic texture ones have incompatibilities with each other. It can often be minor, like things not spawning correctly, or changes being reverted, and people don't notice it. Don't just go installing loads of mods and expect the game to work properly, regardless of load order.

There's one essential mod - the unofficial patch. It has literally 20,000 fixes to the game since Bethesda stopped updating it, and it takes into account all the official patches. A look at the changelog will show you it fixes a ton of huge bugs, ones that can prevent quests from being completable, etc. It also has a ton of minor fixes that correct meshes, misplaced objects, typos, and so on.

Other than that: SKSE is needed for many mods, and it includes support for a memory fix that can greatly reduce crashes to desktop. SkyUI makes the UI far more usable. I'd also recommend Purity, which improves weather and water dramatically.

Do not install old mods unless you know what you're doing. They're very likely to break things.
  • BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Skyrim remaster is a huge waste of time and a subtle way for Bethesda to tell it's fan base that they screwed up BIG TIME on ESO and should have sticked on to developing Skyrim furthermore.  Seriously, if you're going to remaster an Elder's Scroll, remaster Oblivion / Morrowind, they deserve it way more. As far as I'm concerned and millions of Skyrim lovers around the globe that are feeling the same way, this is just a cash grab from Bethesda.  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2016
    I wouldn't start off with any mods.  I would just start playing vanilla until I got a feel for the game first, then add mods as needed along the way.  Finally when your mostly through the game and want to liven it up, go for the most popular mods.  Mods keep the game going with extra quests housing and skill-lines.  Mods let you design your character or characters exactly the way you want them.  I have a vampire-werewolf hybrid that can, shape-shift into various animals,  do the turn into a flock of bats before teleporting thingy, and a whole list of other classic vampire skills.  There are also some fun companions mods, like the Indigo mod, who cracks jokes all day long, is a good fighter and will carry a torch around for you at night and n dungeons.

Also be real slow about adding mods.  If you get a bad one it could take some time to find it if you added like 20 mods at one time.  I have over a hundred mods but I added them slowly over time to make sure they were compatible.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    To add to the theme of this discussion.......
    Does anyone have a preference for a particular custom voiced follower? 

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    BigRambo said:
    Skyrim remaster is a huge waste of time and a subtle way for Bethesda to tell it's fan base that they screwed up BIG TIME on ESO and should have sticked on to developing Skyrim furthermore.  Seriously, if you're going to remaster an Elder's Scroll, remaster Oblivion / Morrowind, they deserve it way more. As far as I'm concerned and millions of Skyrim lovers around the globe that are feeling the same way, this is just a cash grab from Bethesda.  
    That'd take too long and too much of their resources. Skyrim is their best-selling TES game, after all, so it makes sense that they'd try to milk as much money out of it, especially from those who own consoles.

This. Lydia could use a better voice actress, with better dialogues.
    Ergload said:

This. Lydia could use a better voice actress, with better dialogues.
    I was thinking along these lines:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53754/?
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24666/?
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26393/?
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54527/?
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40960/?

There are more too.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I always went with the dog because it's slightly easier to not hit with my arrows.  Followers are kind of a headache for a character that's supposed to be a stealthy archer.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    If they can do this with Skyrim why not Morrowind. I would rather play that updated for Windows 7 thru 10..
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    A little off topic, but I wished I had not had the DLC enabled until after I got near to finishing the main game.  It throws off some balance in my opinion and you seem super epic righto out of the game.  I ended up finishing the DLC before getting too far into the game and I feel like I ruined the intended experience.  Next time I will disable it and re-enable it later as I am playing.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Hariken said:
    If they can do this with Skyrim why not Morrowind. I would rather play that updated for Windows 7 thru 10..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewuaPKnhnc
  • wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned the use of Mod Organizer. it is like the nexus installer, but it installs everything OUTSIDE of your skyrim folders, and runs it almost like a screen over your game.
      it lets you set up different profiles so you can have diff plays with diff mod set ups. you can hook other exe files to it like LOOT, Finis, Script extender etc, and even launch the game from it as well.

I love it (even lets you know when your mods have updates from the nexus)
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I still have the game installed and modded with "intent" to play it through some day.  Looking at my list of mods, the only one I can still recognize is SkyRe.  It's a complete game rebalance and is a must have for me.  Any other graphical texture/character model mods would also be high on my list. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2016
    Sovrath said:

Hjakhtravevarr tomb
    "I can't seem to come up with a name I like for this tomb I made...."

"Here's a couple A's and an E....  Now just throw a metric shit ton of consonants at it!"

"By God Holmes, that's brilliant!"

"Elementary, my dear friend." :pleased:

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I never actually finished it and there was some bug which gave me all achievements at once so I asked steam for my achievements to get wiped and tried again and half way through some other game I was looking for came out and started that instead. I'm not sure if there is a 4k mod out there maybe chose that one unless the remastered version is 4k then there is no point. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I need a mod that removes all crafting, just to get rid of the temptation.
    I need a mod that removes all crafting, just to get rid of the temptation.
    SkyRe and Perkus Maximus don't remove crafting, but they do remove the fortify alchemy and fortify smithing enchants as well as the fortify smithing and fortify enchanting potions.

I just don't like those mods because of how invasive they are.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Just wanted to say thanks to all the posters so far. Its been a while since I've played Skyrim but this thread is definitely making me want to revisit it with some awesome mods! Looks like some great stuff for improving graphics, expanding towns and the like. 

There are a few recommendations I'd be looking for:

1) Magic

My very first playthrough, I completed warriors guild first then went off to do mages guild. No matter how high I got with destro, magic just seemed vastly inferior to conventional weapons. Perhaps it was my playstyle, or maybe I needed specific gear to make it work well, but for whatever reason I just never found it useful. 

Are there any decent magic mods that help make magic better? Looking through the list I saw a mod that adds a ton of new magic spells. I don't want to make magic overpowered, just balanced against conventional weapons. 

2) Housing

On my last playthrough I tried out 10-15 different housing mods but could never really find what I wanted. What I'm looking for in a house:
    • Located in a town / city - I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere, even with fast travel. 
    • Mannequins - this is a biggie. Don't need many, maybe 10 tops, but I love collecting cool sets of gear and being able to see them
    • Weapon Racks - as above
    • Realistic - I don't want a massive castle, or a house which magically has doors to all the major cities in the game. It should fit with the lore. 
    I always think back to Morrowind. I had a mod for that which added a dwelling in a city (the city with fighters guild). Externally all you could see was a trapdoor. Internally you had 3 or 4 normal rooms (living room, kitchen, dining, bedroom) then you went down to storage area. Had 5 mannequins and a ton of shelving and tables. I collected daedra hearts and covered my tables with them, then loads up the shelves with weapons. It was simple, but it worked and I loved it!

3) Crafting - New Stuff

I admit, I'm not a massive fan of the armour sets in Skyrim. I just don't like the way they look. I tried out a few crafting mods before, typically ones that added tons of new weapons, but could never find a decent one. 

Any recommendations on mods for adding new recipes? I saw one of the top ones added realistic / lore appropriate stuff so I'll try them, but any more people would recommend? Again, I don't want to upset the game balance, just improve my choices for aesthetics. 

Thanks in advance. 
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Ergload said:

I got a bit excited with the recent news on skyrim remaster being announced for the PS4/Xbox One and decided to start a new game again from scratch. It's probably going to be a roguish type, a not-so-typical playthrough and with little to no magic use.

Anyway, if you were me, what mods would you start out  with? Woud you try to improve combat and perks? Or would you expand the cities and towns for a more immersive experience?

Suggestions would very much be appreciated. I just thought I'd get some ideas.

Go nexus mods, download the most popular ones, or the ones you deem interesting, but which wont make you cheat on the game and quit it early on.
    Enjoy
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited June 2016

I do!

My favorite, after trying a few, is Inigo. He's funny and useful.

I then like Sofia and/or Vilja for my female "Joan of Arc" type character, though it's mostly Sofia.

But my main character (which I will add, for my own personal role playing) is the same character I use for all the Elder Scrolls games.

I'm not saying it's the same "class" but the same person and I have a whole backstory as to why this is. Sort of like Longinus in "The Empty Throne" only "not".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Cerwiden and Vilja.
    It was the weirdest thing when both were standing in my house and started a conversation with each other, chatting and bantering.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2016
    Just wanted to say thanks to all the posters so far. Its been a while since I've played Skyrim but this thread is definitely making me want to revisit it with some awesome mods! Looks like some great stuff for improving graphics, expanding towns and the like. 

There are a few recommendations I'd be looking for:

1) Magic

My very first playthrough, I completed warriors guild first then went off to do mages guild. No matter how high I got with destro, magic just seemed vastly inferior to conventional weapons. Perhaps it was my playstyle, or maybe I needed specific gear to make it work well, but for whatever reason I just never found it useful. 

Are there any decent magic mods that help make magic better? Looking through the list I saw a mod that adds a ton of new magic spells. I don't want to make magic overpowered, just balanced against conventional weapons. 

2) Housing

On my last playthrough I tried out 10-15 different housing mods but could never really find what I wanted. What I'm looking for in a house:
    • Located in a town / city - I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere, even with fast travel. 
    • Mannequins - this is a biggie. Don't need many, maybe 10 tops, but I love collecting cool sets of gear and being able to see them
    • Weapon Racks - as above
    • Realistic - I don't want a massive castle, or a house which magically has doors to all the major cities in the game. It should fit with the lore. 
    I always think back to Morrowind. I had a mod for that which added a dwelling in a city (the city with fighters guild). Externally all you could see was a trapdoor. Internally you had 3 or 4 normal rooms (living room, kitchen, dining, bedroom) then you went down to storage area. Had 5 mannequins and a ton of shelving and tables. I collected daedra hearts and covered my tables with them, then loads up the shelves with weapons. It was simple, but it worked and I loved it!

3) Crafting - New Stuff

I admit, I'm not a massive fan of the armour sets in Skyrim. I just don't like the way they look. I tried out a few crafting mods before, typically ones that added tons of new weapons, but could never find a decent one. 

Any recommendations on mods for adding new recipes? I saw one of the top ones added realistic / lore appropriate stuff so I'll try them, but any more people would recommend? Again, I don't want to upset the game balance, just improve my choices for aesthetics. 

Thanks in advance. 
    Immersive armor and immersive weapons are great mods. 

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19733/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27644/?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    the star wars mod is fun :chuffed:
    Volgore said:

Cerwiden and Vilja.
    It was the weirdest thing when both were standing in my house and started a conversation with each other, chatting and bantering.
    Vlija will engage in conversation with many NPCs. She's designed to banter with many of the standard voiced actors. Also, The autor of Vija has teamed up with the author of Inigo for just that purpose. Those two will go off in their own conversations. I think that Vilja is the most advanced follower ever progreammed in any video game currently available.

If only I could get used to her character's voice. Every time she speaks, Vilja sounds like a Grandma trying too hard to be a badass in front of her grand kids while at the same time, being careful not to use offensive words.