Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I submitted a game but nothing's happening

ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28
I've been trying to submit "Underlight: Clash of Dreams" for inclusion.  ("Underlight: Shades of Truth", the previous version of the game, used to be on MMORPG.com's list, but presumably it was taken down when that version closed; at least, it's not there now.)  
After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, we got to the point where the information I'd sent in was what the team wanted, and they sent an e-mail on May 15th saying "We'll make sure it is up tomorrow".  
On May 18th I e-mailed to ask if there was a problem, and got a reply the same day saying "No it should post this week".  
On May 26th I e-mailed to ask what was going on, but have heard nothing since.

Can you tell me what's going on please?  If you're having a crisis at the moment, fair enough.  But I would like to know what's going on and that the form hasn't actually been lost down the back of a radiator after all that.  Underlight always needs all the publicity it can get, and besides, I'd like to have a page to point people to when I talk about Underlight (which is often - it's such a strange animal that it's relevant to a lot of discussions on here).  

If it's relevant, I'm not part of Underlight's dev team as such, I'm just a player, but the dev team gave their approval to me putting it up.  Underlight is by nature something of a team effort.

By the way, it really would be a good idea to put the submissions form on the Submissions FAQ page; what the FAQ page says about what information is required isn't actually correct - for instance, it says "3-5 screenshots", but the form demands more than that, and a set of written bullet points about various things.  It took us a couple of exchanges of e-mails to get it right, which isn't helpful for contributors or for the people on the other end either.  It also doesn't actually give the e-mail address you should send the information to, I had to hunt around the website quite a bit! 
If you write, be polite.

Comments

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Did you ask if a donation/sponsor would speed things up?  :p  

Always possible its outdated info though, might not have got many random submissions, got forgotten about, etc, but yeah, sounds like a valid point that it might need an update/polished touch.

~I am Many~

• ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Any word on this?  Underlight are just about to launch a big update, see, (support for Windows 10 and a big ongoing story, with an invasion of the Dream City), and are optimistically saying they hope to get a big influx of new players, and I feel bad not to have done what I can to get the game out there and give them a chance for that to happen, after all their hard work.
    If you write, be polite.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    What the heck is Underlight?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Exactly!  :-D  In the meantime, if you're curious (and if that's serious rather than a comment on Underlight's size) look here https://underlight.com/   or search this site, it's discussed here every now and again.  Come to that, you posted in my thread about "do all MMORPGs have to have the same rules" - if you read that, that mentions a lot about it.

It's a sandbox sort-of-fantasy game that's not really like anything much else.   One game it does have a few things in common with is EVE Online, now your sig reminds me - at least, in that the "plot" consists of what the players decide to do.
    If you write, be polite.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Its game ID on the gamelist: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1417

It's just not finished yet. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

edited June 2016
    Just dropped by and realised that it's UP!  Thank you very much, site staff.  Just in the very nick of time for the big new patch release tonight, it turns out!

At least so sayeth the IRC channel:
    Koi-Wish 18:58 You can anticipate at max side 2hrs for start to finish. Could be sooner but would rather be safe then sorry on that estimate
    Koi-Wish 19:16 Something you have never seen in UL will be in the City
    Koi-Wish 19:16 Something amazing

And that's all I know myself, but the GMs are so excited about it that I thought I'd post that for the record!
    If you write, be polite.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    How does one submit a game?
    Check first that the game does meet MMORPG.com's requirements:  http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/4/I-think-there-is-a-game-that-needs-to-be-added-to-your-list-How-do-I-submit-this.html

If so, send a message through the "contact us" form http://www.mmorpg.com/contactus.cfm telling the site staff you have a game to submit and asking for the submissions form and the right e-mail address to send it to.  Then fill in the form and send it back to them as an attachment.

You'll need, among other things, a short write-up of the game (to appear in the Overview section), 3-5 bullet points (ditto), 6-8 unedited screenshots, and details like the names of the developer and publisher, official website address and whether it's free-to-play or subscription; sorry, can't remember everything and the full list is quite long to post here anyway, but it's all on the form. 

Hope this helps.
    ULBlue13
    If you write, be polite.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

(Blatant sarcasm please don't be offended only humor)

OMG I cant wait for this game to come out on Tandy! I cant wait! I just got a U.S. Robotics 56k modem. it's even in 16bit color wait till I call my friends beeper to tell him to call me so we can talk on our house phones! I wonder how many floppy disk this will come on when I buy it at Game Corner in the mall. I'll have to clean on my desk with all the Pog and magic the gathering littering my desk.

signed 1990's

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

(Blatant sarcasm please don't be offended only humor)

OMG I cant wait for this game to come out on Tandy! I cant wait! I just got a U.S. Robotics 56k modem. it's even in 16bit color wait till I call my friends beeper to tell him to call me so we can talk on our house phones! I wonder how many floppy disk this will come on when I buy it at Game Corner in the mall. I'll have to clean on my desk with all the Pog and magic the gathering littering my desk.

signed 1990's

I thought it, you said it lol. 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Is... is that the Build engine? Holy shit. 

At least upgrade it to Unity or something, sheesh. Though to be fair it's about on par with Shroud of the Avatar. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Asheram said:
    How does one submit a game?
    I only know how it works the other way around...i was once submitted by Skyrim for a long time.

Sirmatthias: Underlight actually IS a 1990s game, I said so!  (Or didn't I?  edit: no, actually, I didn't, not there, I've been trying to keep it short because I do far too much off-topic nattering about Underlight.)

Solar_Prophet: Nah it's not Build, it's an engine of its own, there basically weren't graphical MMORPGs when this was first being built so no off-the-shelf engines.  As for upgrading to "at least" Unity, it's kind of meant to be retro, it's not that they're leaving it like that because that's the very best they can manage.  ...Well, yes, that and they haven't got the manpower.  If there was a possibility of redoing it really well with a top-quality engine, and not just using an off-the-peg game system but being able to design the features just how they liked it to suit the unusual way Underlight's gameplay works, they might consider it, but they can't.  I think the reasoning is that failing that, it's better to stick with the "retro" engine than replace it with a "more modern" but not very good one. 
    If you write, be polite.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    At least this is a game that may get finished within a reasonable time...
    Harbinger of Fools