Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Consoles Still Plug and Play?

ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
I haven't owned a console since the PS2, so I was just wondering, is it still pretty much plug and play or is starting up a console now pretty much the same as with a PC? I was thinking of buying a PS4 or an Xbox One for my parent's home so they (well, mainly we when we visit) have something to play with.
«1

Comments

  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,183
    As far as I know, the major thing now is that the Xbox One requires internet access to function/set up games.
    They will also update games with patches if you don't have the latest version, etc.

    Broadband isn't very common in my region of the U.S., so tons of people were returning Xbox Ones when they launched due to the internet requirements.

    Other than that, they are largely the same as old consoles.  The main difference is that you load into a homepage with various menus when you power on a console.  Menus being things like: Store to buy DLC, games, movies, or whatever else.

    I haven't touched the Xbox One(at all) or the PS4(much), but last I knew, games would auto-start when you put a game disc in.  If not, you simply go to the menu that's associated with your games and tell it to run from there.

    I think you should also consider that both Sony and Microsoft are releasing new versions of their consoles in the next year.  Look up Morpheus and Scorpio if you are interested.  Point being, I wouldn't rush and buy one of the current versions unless you just want to get them cheap.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I would argue consoles these days are barely more convenient than a PC.  They require the system to be configured before use and also require you to register a service account before you can fully utilize it.  System and software updates are common and sometimes block usage of the system, especially if it's not something you use every day.  You must install your games before use.  The only reason they're still more convenient is that they don't come riddled with bloatware that gets installed by the system manufacturer.

    Personally, I wouldn't let any of this stop me from buying a console but that might be because I'm primarily a PC gamer.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think you have to buy a monthly subscription to patch and update games but I'm not sure.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,163
    Dagon13 said:
    I would argue consoles these days are barely more convenient than a PC.  They require the system to be configured before use and also require you to register a service account before you can fully utilize it.  System and software updates are common and sometimes block usage of the system, especially if it's not something you use every day.  You must install your games before use.  The only reason they're still more convenient is that they don't come riddled with bloatware that gets installed by the system manufacturer.

    Personally, I wouldn't let any of this stop me from buying a console but that might be because I'm primarily a PC gamer.
    Coming from a PC gamer (me), your statement sounds like someone from a PC trying to talk consoles down, even just a little. Consoles are 90% easier to configure, run and maintain than PCs. Period.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 350
    edited June 2016
    Yes they are still plug and play. And no you don't need to buy any sub for update the games. The sub is only for the multiplayer experience. You can play the games' single player content as much as you want. And if you sub for the ps+ or xbox live you can play all games multiplayer and you'll get 3-4 free games every month for your sub. I don't recomment you to buy a Xbox One. If you want a console just buy a PS4. The main reason to buy a console is the exculasive games. And unfortunately Xbone fails to deliver good quality exculasives. And most of the games you got "exculasively" for Xbone will release for the pc too. So you don't need a console to play them. Just play them on your pc. There are very few games that you can call "real" exculasives. Like Halo and Forza series. But on the other hand Sony has a lot of amazing titles as exculasives. And you won't have any chance to play them on pc.
    Post edited by Nepheth on
  • StevaneStevane Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Kilrain said:
    Dagon13 said:
    I would argue consoles these days are barely more convenient than a PC.  They require the system to be configured before use and also require you to register a service account before you can fully utilize it.  System and software updates are common and sometimes block usage of the system, especially if it's not something you use every day.  You must install your games before use.  The only reason they're still more convenient is that they don't come riddled with bloatware that gets installed by the system manufacturer.

    Personally, I wouldn't let any of this stop me from buying a console but that might be because I'm primarily a PC gamer.
    Coming from a PC gamer (me), your statement sounds like someone from a PC trying to talk consoles down, even just a little. Consoles are 90% easier to configure, run and maintain than PCs. Period.
    Doesn't sound like that to me at all
  • DwardogDwardog Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited June 2016
    Kilrain said:
    Coming from a PC gamer (me), your statement sounds like someone from a PC trying to talk consoles down, even just a little. Consoles are 90% easier to configure, run and maintain than PCs. Period.
    I agree with this statement.

    My last console was a PS2 before I purchased an Xbox One this past December.  The interface is very different from the old consoles, but you'll get used to it.  The thing is, you will have to install and update games before playing, update your console and controller periodically, patch games periodically, buy DLC if you want, and pay for Xbox Live if you want to play online (which I think is worth it since you are also given the option to download some pretty good free games with the Gold membership). But to me, everything just seems so much easier on the Xbox One than the PC. The Xbox One just knows what to do, so it really just handles things for you once you plug it in, or put in a new game disc, or download an app.  You just pretty much just sit back and let it do it's thing. I mainly play games on my PC still, but I am also enjoying my console quite a bit.
    Post edited by Dwardog on
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 778
    Depends how good your internet connection is... as it's more like, plug, register, update, install, update, register, play (probably).

    It also depends on the individual game, most you can just put the disc in and start playing (on PS4 there is usually an install in the background), but some, and online games especially, have a few hoops to jump through / skip over before you can get into the actual game. Welcome to progress :/
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 9,977
    Nepheth said:
    Yes they are still plug and play. And no you don't need to buy any sub for update the games. The sub is only for the multiplayer experience. You can play the games' single player content as much as you want. And if you sub for the ps+ or xbox live you can play all games multiplayer and you'll get 3-4 free games every month for your sub. I don't recomment you to buy a Xbox One. If you want a console just buy a PS4. The main reason to buy a console is the exculasive games. And unfortunately Xbone fails to deliver good quality exculasives. And most of the games you got "exculasively" for Xbone will release for the pc too. So you don't need a console to play them. Just play them on your pc. There are very few games that you can call "real" exculasives. Like Halo and Forza series. But on the other hand Sony has a lot of amazing titles as exculasives. And you won't have any chance to play them on pc.
    This is the closest to how consoles work.

    Some points to make,  you don't need XBL (xbox live) for certain games and certain services.  They now allow Netflix without XBL and Hulu too I believe.  

    You still get updates to the console regardless of if you subscribe or not.

    Generally the free games given out per month are more than worth the monthly cost... they aren't trash games at all.

    Consoles are substantially more plug and play than PC's..  when you download a game.. it will just work.. you don't need to update your drivers, you don't need to check your system requirements,  you don't need to toy with configurations.  For better or worse when you download a game and start it, it will play.

    I agree with not buying an XB1 right now, but I would go further and say do not buy a PS4 either.  Wait for the updated console releases if you decide to buy one as they will be more powerful.  Current consoles are already more powerful than most PC's, and they are just increasing that power for better gameplay, better resolution and so on.

    It's also true they're doing XBL as a service for PC so you can play XB games on PC... but again, this kind of pushes more towards the purpose of UWP and soon PC games will also be compatible with XBOX so you're really looking at a more game focused PC when you buy and Xbox.   the PS4 will stick with being more proprietary and closed off to just that platform,  I haven't played any exclusives on it that I felt were "musts" like I felt with Nintendo and their Zelda, Metroid, etc. series.



  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I agree with the guy saying PS4 is a better choice.  The exclusive games make it worth.  The xbone will launch all of their games on PC.  God of War....
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • besteverbestever Member UncommonPosts: 872
    edited June 2016
    Ergload said:
    I haven't owned a console since the PS2, so I was just wondering, is it still pretty much plug and play or is starting up a console now pretty much the same as with a PC? I was thinking of buying a PS4 or an Xbox One for my parent's home so they (well, mainly we when we visit) have something to play with.
    Yes they are plug and play. They take no time to set up. Look at the games and see what you might like. They both have good games and just comes down to what you want to play. Xbox does offer cross buy digital games now so any game that is made by Microsoft will cost you $60 and you get it for xbox and PC. If third party developers choose to use the cross buy program they can but I wouldn't hold my breath on that lol.

     If you do go with the xbox wait for the xbox s(slim) to come out as its much smaller and has a 4k blu ray player, HDR and 4k upscaling. Just have to wait till August 2016 for the slim.

    This is the list of xbox anywhere games.


    Post edited by bestever on
  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Nepheth said:
    Yes they are still plug and play. And no you don't need to buy any sub for update the games. The sub is only for the multiplayer experience. You can play the games' single player content as much as you want. And if you sub for the ps+ or xbox live you can play all games multiplayer and you'll get 3-4 free games every month for your sub. I don't recomment you to buy a Xbox One. If you want a console just buy a PS4. The main reason to buy a console is the exculasive games. And unfortunately Xbone fails to deliver good quality exculasives. And most of the games you got "exculasively" for Xbone will release for the pc too. So you don't need a console to play them. Just play them on your pc. There are very few games that you can call "real" exculasives. Like Halo and Forza series. But on the other hand Sony has a lot of amazing titles as exculasives. And you won't have any chance to play them on pc.
    Thanks. This was very useful. So were the other comments. I'm probably going to wait things out until late September, since I believe that's when the newer version of the consoles are going to launch.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Lokero said:
    As far as I know, the major thing now is that the Xbox One requires internet access to function/set up games.
    They will also update games with patches if you don't have the latest version, etc.

    Broadband isn't very common in my region of the U.S., so tons of people were returning Xbox Ones when they launched due to the internet requirements.

    Other than that, they are largely the same as old consoles.  The main difference is that you load into a homepage with various menus when you power on a console.  Menus being things like: Store to buy DLC, games, movies, or whatever else.

    I haven't touched the Xbox One(at all) or the PS4(much), but last I knew, games would auto-start when you put a game disc in.  If not, you simply go to the menu that's associated with your games and tell it to run from there.

    I think you should also consider that both Sony and Microsoft are releasing new versions of their consoles in the next year.  Look up Morpheus and Scorpio if you are interested.  Point being, I wouldn't rush and buy one of the current versions unless you just want to get them cheap.
    Pretty much removes all RV owners who are actively traveling right off the xbox map.

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2016
    ironically I dont think I have ever other than one game had anything but a pure plug and play experience using Steam on my some 40 games or so.
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,171
    filmoret said:
    I think you have to buy a monthly subscription to patch and update games but I'm not sure.
    No, you don't.

    Check out my monthly column on MMORPG.com.

    image

  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

    SEANMCAD said:
    ironically I dont think I have ever other than one game had anything but a pure plug and play experience using Steam on my some 40 games or so.
    Agreed. Same as with me. But I won't be the one using it most of the time, so I can't say the same for my parents. They're in their 60s, so the easier something is to use, the less they'll be bugging me about something not working right.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Plug and update then play.  Other than that the only work the consoles made me do is clean them once in a while.
  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Plug and update then play.  Other than that the only work the consoles made me do is clean them once in a while.
    On that note, how often do you clean your console? Also, which console do you own and how hard it is to clean it? :)
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,049
    filmoret said:
    I agree with the guy saying PS4 is a better choice.  The exclusive games make it worth.  The xbone will launch all of their games on PC.  God of War....
    In general, I agree with you that XB1 is far less 'user friendly' than PS4, mainly because of MS' odd  stance about cross-platform (other than XB1/WinX) not being allowed. I also heard that on XB1 you still need to pay the monthly fee when playing MMORPGs, while for PS4 that's NOT required (FFXIV:ARR for sure). PS4 only required a monthly fee when you're playing games with online/co-op capabilities like Battlefield and such games.
    On the other side, neither PS4 or XB1 is a better choice when if comes down to the games you REALLY want to play. Both consoles have their own exclusives, where PS goes more into (j)RPG games (Tales series) and XB more into shooters (Halo series).
    Dagon13 said:
    I would argue consoles these days are barely more convenient than a PC.  They require the system to be configured before use and also require you to register a service account before you can fully utilize it.  System and software updates are common and sometimes block usage of the system, especially if it's not something you use every day.  You must install your games before use.  The only reason they're still more convenient is that they don't come riddled with bloatware that gets installed by the system manufacturer.
    Consoles are still more convenient than PCs. You fire them up and you're set to go. About the requirement to make an account with the producer of the console, I can only comment on PS, where that's totally optional. Not registering your console will certainly not allow you to buy games from the online store and use online features (including MMORPGs who have their content linked to your console's account). But if you're only into single player games, there's nothing holding you back NOT to register the console...

    AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD FX-8350 ~4.0Ghz
    32Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (GEiL/Corsair)
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4Gb + 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Reizla said:
    Consoles are still more convenient than PCs. You fire them up and you're set to go. About the requirement to make an account with the producer of the console, I can only comment on PS, where that's totally optional. Not registering your console will certainly not allow you to buy games from the online store and use online features (including MMORPGs who have their content linked to your console's account). But if you're only into single player games, there's nothing holding you back NOT to register the console...
    Is the monthly subscription worth it? I've heard that you get a couple of free games every month and that they're not shit, but aside from that, what do you get? Also, are digital copies of the games for the consoles cheaper than physical retail copies?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 9,977
    Ergload said:
    Reizla said:
    Consoles are still more convenient than PCs. You fire them up and you're set to go. About the requirement to make an account with the producer of the console, I can only comment on PS, where that's totally optional. Not registering your console will certainly not allow you to buy games from the online store and use online features (including MMORPGs who have their content linked to your console's account). But if you're only into single player games, there's nothing holding you back NOT to register the console...
    Is the monthly subscription worth it? I've heard that you get a couple of free games every month and that they're not shit, but aside from that, what do you get? Also, are digital copies of the games for the consoles cheaper than physical retail copies?
    The monthly fee is generally worth it if you plan on playing games online,  but both XB and PS4 have games that you can play online without the subscription.  (some MMO's)

    The subscription for XB gives you discounts on games, and some of the deals can be pretty good in comparison to physical copies.  New games can generally drop by about 30% within a month if XBL puts them on special.  Older games and retro games always go on sale on XBL

    PS4 has some similar stuff, they also have certain "shows" that you can watch from their PS4 store, and they are free as long as you subscribe.  Generally I found that games on XBL that they gave away for free were better than games on the PS4, but it's all dependent on what kind of games you like to play and what's available every month.

    As I have both XB1 and PS4 I don't really have to choose,  but I don't waste my time checking every month for free games... but those that are looking for some free games to play, you can't go wrong.

    Right now you can get a year of XBL and PS+ for 40.00.. thats roughly 3 - 4 dollars a month if you buy the year in advance...  and you'd roughly get 3 free games a month, so if you never bought anything other than the subscription, you'd still come out way ahead, regardless of the service you chose.



  • ZukapeZukape Member UncommonPosts: 93
    On Xbox one, you have to be connected to internet + most games requires updates before you play the game and am telling you now, they are not your usual sized updates. 
  • DFlynn24DFlynn24 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    @Ergload I love my ps4 and would recommend it over an xbox One just for the reason that the One tries to be a home entertainment console that you can run your cable through and stuff.  Also, I was never a fan of Kinect and the One comes standard with it.  PS4 is just a gaming console and I use it for that and Netflix.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 9,977
    DFlynn24 said:
    @Ergload I love my ps4 and would recommend it over an xbox One just for the reason that the One tries to be a home entertainment console that you can run your cable through and stuff.  Also, I was never a fan of Kinect and the One comes standard with it.  PS4 is just a gaming console and I use it for that and Netflix.
    The XB1 starting in August will no longer come with Kinect for the upgraded model that is smaller and more powerful.



  • AsheramAsheram Member RarePosts: 3,286
    Kilrain said:
    Dagon13 said:
    I would argue consoles these days are barely more convenient than a PC.  They require the system to be configured before use and also require you to register a service account before you can fully utilize it.  System and software updates are common and sometimes block usage of the system, especially if it's not something you use every day.  You must install your games before use.  The only reason they're still more convenient is that they don't come riddled with bloatware that gets installed by the system manufacturer.

    Personally, I wouldn't let any of this stop me from buying a console but that might be because I'm primarily a PC gamer.
    Coming from a PC gamer (me), your statement sounds like someone from a PC trying to talk consoles down, even just a little. Consoles are 90% easier to configure, run and maintain than PCs. Period.
    The console might be plug and play but the games now require a download from the internet to play them, some of them big dl like on a pc. PS2 you could put the disc in the console and play from the get go no internet required to download the rest of the game to be able to play. 
Sign In or Register to comment.