Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTX 1070/RX-480 Worth Waiting For?

Comments

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    a 1080 @ 2000Mhz core clock / 11000Mhz memory clock is only 10-15% faster than a 980 Ti @ 1500Mhz core clock / 7500Mhz, so yeah, ...
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    It's now official that those slides are real.  Here's the full slide deck, in case you want to see it:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/4914#1
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    duno i was thinking of sli 1070gtx not sure if its worth it tho.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I wouldn't SLI if I were you.  I had the same idea back when I bought my 760, I thought, "oh ill get another down the road" and I did, and I hated it.  While it was "fast" there were frame stutter issues, tons of games I had to disable it, etc.

This time around I bought a 980ti and I couldn't be happier.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    well one 1080gtx it is then.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited June 2016
    Fallout 4, 970 OC vs 1070 ~30% difference. 1070 has ~5-7% OC headroom so around 5% more performance if you OC it and 970 can reach 1600 MHZ so another 5%.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Basically, all what they said about the 1070 being better than 980ti wasn't true? Well, that sucks. I'm hoping that the same thing doesn't happen to the RX-480.
    edited June 2016
    Its true....for stock vs stock. Partial truth. Fact that Maxwell OCs 2-2,5x better than Pascal and things change drastically when that is applied....is the whole truth.

NVidia is master of marketing and PR, and this is 1 fine example of it, how you can release partial truth to make new product look much better than it is.

And while were at it:

http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-msi-accused-of-sending-modified-cards-to-the-press

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited June 2016
    Max OC 980 Ti vs Max OC 1070, and the 980 Ti wins in every game every time, by atleast 5-10% overall.

Which tells you that Nvidia sneakily upped the default and boost clocks of pascal to hide how little gain there actually is with pascal vs maxwell.

The problem is maxwell was too good, efficiency a generation ahead of its time, and now 480 and vega are gonna look like they are much better, because previous AMD cards had worse performance/watt.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited June 2016
    Ergload said:
    Basically, all what they said about the 1070 being better than 980ti wasn't true? Well, that sucks. I'm hoping that the same thing doesn't happen to the RX-480.
    A 980ti costs more than a 1070 though, also the kind of people who bought a 980TI would never buy a cheapo 1070 anyway.  They would get a 1080.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    ASUS and MSI gpus will most likely allow these clocks for their consumer brands. Specially binning review samples is common in hardware in general. Most hardware companies test each component to make sure they don't fail and make sure the packaging is perfect before sending them in for review.
    13lake said:
    Max OC 980 Ti vs Max OC 1070, and the 980 Ti wins in every game every time, by atleast 5-10% overall.

Which tells you that Nvidia sneakily upped the default and boost clocks of pascal to hide how little gain there actually is with pascal vs maxwell.

The problem is maxwell was too good, efficiency a generation ahead of its time, and now 480 and vega are gonna look like they are much better, because previous AMD cards had worse performance/watt.
    That makes sense. Although, with the 1070 as it is and how it's priced (plus the shortage), I might just go with the RX-480 at launch. Fingers crossed that there's no shortage of the card by then.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Malabooga said:
    Fallout 4, 970 OC vs 1070 ~30% difference. 1070 has ~5-7% OC headroom so around 5% more performance if you OC it and 970 can reach 1600 MHZ so another 5%.

The inconsistency of those FPSs on both cards is worrysome, specially with the 970. My monitor is only 1080p so it would run smoother than that video, but unless FO4 is badly optimized then i dont see myself upgrading to a 1440p display with any of those 2 cards.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Fallout 4 is badly optimized. You need mods to correct the min frame rate issues. Things like Shadow boost.
    edited June 2016
    Well i have a fairly easy way to compare true difference Maxwell to Pascal for those who are wondering about upgading. Since Pascal is clocked much higher than Maxwell on reference:

When comparing "founders edition" Pascal (reference) and reference Maxwell:

970/980: add 20% performance to 970/980
    980ti/titan X: add 15% performance to 980ti/titan X

so if review claims that "1070 is 55% faster than 970" add 20% on 970 and that ends up as 35%
    same for 980ti, if review claims "1080 is 30% faster than 980ti" add 15% performance to 980ti and that ends up as 15%

it works for any combination of Maxwell/Pascal reference comparisons.
    ^ Might just work. On another note, I've seen the 980/ti drop its price significantly in the past few days. Now's probably a good time to grab one for those looking to SLI their 980ti.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Ergload said:
    ^ Might just work. On another note, I've seen the 980/ti drop its price significantly in the past few days. Now's probably a good time to grab one for those looking to SLI their 980ti.
    If you want SLI, buying a second card after you get the first is almost never a good idea.  Get them both at the same time or not at all.  SLI and CrossFire have a heavy reliance on customizations for particular games, and those customizations stop for one architecture when the next releases.  Which means right about now, unless Pascal is close enough to Maxwell that optimizations for Pascal are automatically optimizations for Maxwell for free.  Which is plausible, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Quizzical said:
    Ergload said:
    If you want SLI, buying a second card after you get the first is almost never a good idea.  Get them both at the same time or not at all.  SLI and CrossFire have a heavy reliance on customizations for particular games, and those customizations stop for one architecture when the next releases.  Which means right about now, unless Pascal is close enough to Maxwell that optimizations for Pascal are automatically optimizations for Maxwell for free.  Which is plausible, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Cool. Will keep that in mind. I haven't tried SLI since my old 680s and even then optimization wasn't all too good. I just thought things might've improved by now.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    The games that are optimized are better optimized (closer to actually getting 2x the benefit from 2x the GPUs), but it seems that fewer games are getting optimized. That may just be that a larger percentage of games today are things like Indie titles, which don't have much of a prayer of getting hand-optimization from a driver engineer, or it may be that there are fewer AAA - level titles that are just bothering to even fool with it and think that whatever optimization they get baked in from using the off-the-shelf engine they choose is enough.
    edited June 2016
    Ergload said:
    thats correct, 980ti has dropped price to 400-450$, for someone who wants to spend that much on GPU theres not that much point waiting for 1070 (but so far that was just on Newegg, there was EVGA Kingpin for 400$ and MSI Golden edition for 399$).

And as far as SLI goes that is still the only way to get that much performance, 1080 is some 10-15% faster than 980ti. Other option is waiting for 1080ti/Titan but those are still far away and judging by increasing prices trend for NVidia, prices might be....not pretty for those.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Ergload said:
    RX-480 is not advertised to be stronger than 980Ti. it is not their next big GPU, it is their new less power mainstream card.

supposed to be better than 390x, but not better than the fury (not furyx), unless you buy 2 of them
    1 guy made some effort to figure out how much he paid for NVidias x70 cards he bought:

httpadisquscdncomuploadsmediaembedimages38178768originaljpg

Hedeon said:
    Ergload said:
    RX-480 is not advertised to be stronger than 980Ti. it is not their next big GPU, it is their new less power mainstream card.

supposed to be better than 390x, but not better than the fury (not furyx), unless you buy 2 of them
    I never did say nor imply that the RX-480 was more powerful than the 980ti tho.
    Malabooga said:
    1 guy made some effort to figure out how much he paid for NVidias x70 cards he bought:

httpadisquscdncomuploadsmediaembedimages38178768originaljpg

Wow. Wasn't the 770 more expensive than the 970 at launch?
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    The current new cards AMD is putting out are not any better than their past cards. They are more efficient and the like, but so far look to be rehashes of the last line with some minimal improvements. You won't see cards to compete with the 1070/1080 just yet from AMD and this has been stated multiple times multiple places... 
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I'm waiting for the 480 and for an extra (I think) $25 you can get the 8gig version.