Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How the Game's Single Shard Server Works

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageHow the Game's Single Shard Server Works

Dual Universe is an incredibly ambitious game, and I wouldn't blame you if you felt a little skeptical about its promise of creating a shared universe where millions of players can coexist. Dual Universe isn't just meant to be explored, but also lived in as players begin to organize and form their own digital societies. During E3 in LA, I sat down with the founder of Dual Universe developer Novaquark, JC Baille, to talk candidly about what Dual Universe is, but more importantly, how it works.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    There's a boatload of "if's" I could think of, but IF they can make all this tech work smoothly, DU may be the first game that can actually compete with EVE directly. That's IF DU's universe will be as large as EVE's, of course.
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    i bet this STILL comes out before star citizen.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    This game kind of came out of no where, at least a lot of folks hadn't heard of it until yesterday.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    edited June 2016
    Can't really compare this to eve since you can't just build a ship anyway you like and build cities in eve, plus eve's map is only a 1% fraction of the size compared to the map this will have, Also eve isn't real time as it is only point and click.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    This is a game that ive been silently watching for about 3-6 months, signed up for a hopeful alpha invite, the game has some interesting ideas, but , like the first reply says a lot of 'ifs' , but, should they get even 50% of these then this could turn out to be a rocking kick ass game.
    But, its good to see smaller indi / aa developers taking ideas forward, there is no doubt that there will be a synergy to eve and this game, but like eve, once released this game will take some time to get going given that players will be the driving force until them players have populated / created / designed items then it will be hard graft.
    But i for one will be looking forward to seeing some 'real' game play not just the e3 vid (and please make 3rd person view as soon as)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Katilla said:
    i bet this STILL comes out before star citizen.
    I'm 100% sure this game will be in Early Access before Star Citizen launches. 

I'm about 50% sure this game will STILL be in Early Access after Star Citizen launches ! :D 
  • Stu_PendisdickStu_Pendisdick Member UncommonPosts: 1
    EvE Online. Heh. Lagfest Central ( they call it "Time Dilation"...the Emperor's New Clothes of the gaming world ), populated by Russian gold farmers and scumbag social psychopaths from Something Awful.

The *LAST* MMORPG that I would want my product compared to.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    EvE Online. Heh. Lagfest Central ( they call it "Time Dilation"...the Emperor's New Clothes of the gaming world ), populated by Russian gold farmers and scumbag social psychopaths from Something Awful.

The *LAST* MMORPG that I would want my product compared to.
    Yet another unmarried marriage councillor.
    Glad you could spare the time to create an account to make that exceedingly valuable statement, from such a position of authority, welcome to the Forums :p
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Even if they get everything right, there is still no guarantee that the MMO gods will give it the spark of life.

EVE nor WoW are perfect games, far from in fact, but both have been grated the spark of life by the MMO gods, thus they have outlived every attempt to topple them until now, even by technically superior games in their fields.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Hmmm.........
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    edited June 2016
    Is this server structure similar to what I read about in the recent World's Adrift article? Anyone know similarities and differences? The WA article mentioned something about client side server handling or something. Just curious.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Can't really compare this to eve since you can't just build a ship anyway you like and build cities in eve, plus eve's map is only a 1% fraction of the size compared to the map this will have, Also eve isn't real time as it is only point and click.
    I'm always cautious about games with vast geographies.   I like it, because I like to explore and like the diversity.  However, it often breaks down if there isn't population to utilize it.  More than one  game has suffered because a feeling that the world/universe was barren of players.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited June 2016
    This sounds astonishing.  (Very clever solution, dividing up instances on the fly.)

If this works, I can imagine this game actually having practical use, as well as being fascinating to play - researchers could visit to investigate different ways of organising a society or an economy, different town layouts for instance, and see what the results are when exposed to real people.  (I've heard that studies like that have been tried in other games e.g. WoW and do have limits, but as far as they go this would be great for them - and that might be slightly further in this case.)

That might be something they could sell to raise money - give a person "Game Master" abilities over an area for a limited period of time, for instance the ability to call in natural disasters or alter the resources available, things like that.  £20 per week per planet or whatever (don't know what the scale of the place is), excluding main social hubs, only available case-by-case to trusted players e.g. those who've been playing a certain length of time and have no complaints against them.  But it could work, I think.  Has anything like that ever been tried in other games I wonder, that anyone knows?  
    (Underlight does it a bit - in their case, the "trusted players" part is handled to some extent by the structure of the game.  For instance, you can only be made a Teacher (able to give out your own quests) by someone who's already a Master Teacher themselves and after you've met various conditions, and players can still report you if you misuse it.)

I see Mgilbrtsn's point about not having enough players to fill the space.  I recognise that problem, and it's especially important the more a game draws on player interaction.  A button that listed what were the busiest areas in the game at the moment would help, then players would know where to go if they were looking for trade or company, without just having to range randomly through huge empty areas.  The fact that you can build things in this game would also help - even if you explore a place and nobody's in it right now, you might still find other signs of life; even better if the things you can build do stuff, like display things for sale or whatever, or could show a message from the owner saying, for instance, where they've gone. 
    If you write, be polite.