Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR Is About To Get More Popular Thanks To Bethesda

ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-and-doom-vr-versions-announced/1100-6440743/

ICYMI: Besthesda has just announced that they're developing VR versions of both Doom and Fallour 4. SteamVR and Vive will see them first, which probably means they're motion controlled. I do hope that they give discounts (or even give them for free) for the owners of the non-VR versions of the games, but I'd still buy them either way. VR and Fallout 4, especially with the modding community (if there is one), is a match made in heaven. Same goes for Doom, only that its a match made in hell. Lol.

With the RX480 coming up, VR gaming just got a whole lot better for PC gamers as a whole.

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    that 'we are taking a wait and see approach' comment they made a month ago guess is well...over.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Seems like a complete u-turn by Bethesda. Wasn't the main reason John Carmack left id Software was because he was told he couldn't work on VR projects?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have always liked Doom but have no interest for anything VR at this time.The reason is simple,i expect nothing to be very good at utilizing VR.You do not and never will accomplish true VR with just a headset.
    Then to think they are asking 600 bucks for just the headset is laughable,so to achieve true full VR and WHEN it happens will be like 3k by that time.Not only achieving the technology,but the games themselves need to be well done to utilize it.

Then take it one step further,everyone has been complaining for a long time that we need game play over graphics,so does anyone actually think devs are going to give us both and spend more time in both areas of their games,no way in hell,not unless you think they will spend 400 million and 7-8 years to develop a game.So looking at it in realistic terms,it is NOT going to happen for a very long time.

This whole ra of VR is nothing more than cell phone gimmicks,every manufacturer has a supposed new and better one and everyone flocks to spend their money foolishly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    immodium said:
    Seems like a complete u-turn by Bethesda. Wasn't the main reason John Carmack left id Software was because he was told he couldn't work on VR projects?

Yes, I remember reading that a year or so ago. VR's where the money's at today, though, so it's no surprise that Bethesda would change their mind.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Meh, I would have been much more impressed with Skyrim VR announced. They announced the Enhanced Edition, but no VR? Come on.
    Rukushin said:
    Meh, I would have been much more impressed with Skyrim VR announced. They announced the Enhanced Edition, but no VR? Come on.

Who knows? They might just announce that soon enough. Lol. Dragons and VR sure would make a fine mix.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    edited June 2016
    Very true they might and I hope. I'd also like VR support in ESO while we are at it. 
    immodium said:

yes exactly.

Its also likely why they are not going the Oculus compatibility route

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Wizardry said:
    I have always liked Doom but have no interest for anything VR at this time.The reason is simple,i expect nothing to be very good at utilizing VR.You do not and never will accomplish true VR with just a headset.

When it comes to VR I want to be doing this:

Whilst I'm like this:

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    immodium said:
    Wizardry said:

Whilst I'm like this:

Maybe you ARE already like that. Maybe we are all like that and the world we are in is really a virtual reality world, and its so realistic none of us know the truth. Maybe we are enslaved by aliens from another world, or earth is destroyed and in an attempt to save humanity, a portion of humanity was put into virtual reality and our bodies are who knows where, being preserved for the future of man kind.

And it is possible if so, that many of us aren't real, and there are fake humans which we would know as AI pretending to be human, to really sell us on this being reality.

Hey I did quote a matrix post, so this is perfectly on topic :P

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

DMKano said:
    No matter how popular VR gets - as long as I am getting motion sickness and nausea - it will never be for me.
    Agreed. It doesn't really matter if the widen the selection of games. The tradeoff just isn't worth it, at least for  now. Lol.
    SEANMCAD said:
    that 'we are taking a wait and see approach' comment they made a month ago guess is well...over.
    I wonder if they'll add a special feature to the Fallout 4 headset where in game radiation actually melts your face off.
    I like how you think. True to your profile photo.
    immodium said:
    Wizardry said:

Whilst I'm like this:

If this were to come true, we'd all be as fat as those humans in Wall-e. As much as I prefer sitting down to play VR, I'd think it'd be benefit us more if we could actually move around. It's just going to look weird, though. Lol.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Yep, this is the kind of game VR needs if it wants to be more than a niche gimmick. So it's good first step and the proof will be in the pudding as they say.
    Rusque said:
    Yep, this is the kind of game VR needs if it wants to be more than a niche gimmick. So it's good first step and the proof will be in the pudding as they say.
    In fact, the so called AAA industry is adopting to VR MUCH faster then I thought they would

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    immodium said:
    Wizardry said:

Whilst I'm like this:

Maybe you ARE already like that. Maybe we are all like that and the world we are in is really a virtual reality world, and its so realistic none of us know the truth. Maybe we are enslaved by aliens from another world, or earth is destroyed and in an attempt to save humanity, a portion of humanity was put into virtual reality and our bodies are who knows where, being preserved for the future of man kind.

And it is possible if so, that many of us aren't real, and there are fake humans which we would know as AI pretending to be human, to really sell us on this being reality.

Hey I did quote a matrix post, so this is perfectly on topic :P
    Oh I like this topic.

The CEO of Tesla Motors / SpaceX agrees with you.  You've heard of the simulation argument, of course?  I find it to be a technocratic reiteration of a much older concept, that of Maya found in the Hindu faith.

It's an interesting philosophy, though, because it has the propensity to explain a few current mysteries in science, such as the Fermi Paradox, or possibly even quantum gravity.  Personally, though, I find it a bit lazy to resort to 'well, it's a simulation, duh!  Of course the standard model doesn't account for Einstein's theory of general relativity' (I have a little more faith in science).   sld:pleased: sdfs:pleased:

More interesting are implications like how the simulation argument syncs up with the Doomsday argument (we aren't living in a simulated reality because humans go extinct before ever developing the technology necessary to run great numbers of ancestor simulations).

It's fascinating stuff.

Personally, I find it best to realize, as Hammock put it: "All is dream and everything is real".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    DMKano said:
    No matter how popular VR gets - as long as I am getting motion sickness and nausea - it will never be for me.

Do you generally have motion sickness? Or only in VR? My wife can't play FPS games at all. With VR and 3D, I feel nauseous more when there are lower framerates or just bad sync.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Ergload said:

If this were to come true, we'd all be as fat as those humans in Wall-e. As much as I prefer sitting down to play VR, I'd think it'd be benefit us more if we could actually move around. It's just going to look weird, though. Lol.
    Thats why I'm really interested in AR more so than VR  (Or MR if you go by Magic Leaps terminology) 

They just released a new "demo" --

It's pretty crazy, but I could see it being really awesome to play games around the house .. or yard and not have to worry about falling down or hitting a coffee table or motion sickness. 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Ubisoft and Sony are also developing VR games, from the look of things.  Microsoft is getting into the VR industry with its "Scorpio" console, being touted as capable of 'high fidelity VR':

http://kotaku.com/all-the-big-news-from-e3-2016-1781885039

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-announces-project-scorpio-1781897948

...and of course there's Double Fine's Psychonauts VR interquel, The Rhombus of Ruin:

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/16/11952074/psychonauts-in-the-rhombus-of-ruin-is-a-fresh-take-on-vr-and-pillows-as-toilet-paper

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/03/heres-every-game-confirmed-for-the-playstation-vr/

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SEANMCAD said:
    immodium said:

yes exactly.

Seems kind of weird that they would choose the Vive though, its the least popular of all the VR options, choosing the OR would have made more sense given that there are far more of them.
    Seems like they are spiting themselves in a bad case of sour grapes tbh, given Zenimax's history with OR, which also cost them a certain amount of credibility at the time too, crazy really, because in business, you can't afford to hold grudges like that. O.o
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I think a lot of these companies are just putting their feet int he water, it's not uncommon for them to start work on things and trash any projects they are working on if the market doesn't pick up.

Most of these games may never even be released (outside of the crappy ports)
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I would be excited for VR, if it was VR. Current VR tech is little more than a trick on the eyes, it is no more VR than those hoverboards, hover.

Current tech promotes eye strain, headaches and lacks any other form of immersion than simply covering your eyes. A circus trick, no more really.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    immodium said:

yes exactly.

Seems kind of weird that they would choose the Vive though, its the least popular of all the VR options, choosing the OR would have made more sense given that there are far more of them.
    Seems like they are spiting themselves in a bad case of sour grapes tbh, given Zenimax's history with OR, which also cost them a certain amount of credibility at the time too, crazy really, because in business, you can't afford to hold grudges like that. O.o

Is it really?  In my mind having steam on your side gives the HTC a huge edge over it's competitors long term.  At the end of the day it's going to be the content catalog that determines who comes out on top here not which one is the most technical advanced and it's hard to believe at least in the PC world that steam isn't going to be a big part of that factor.

Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    immodium said:

yes exactly.

I think the real reason is because Zenimax is currently sueing Oculus so for the case I bet they want to see appear enthusiastic about VR but not use the same tech they are accusing Oculus of stealing (or at least certain members of Oculus)

Xeno.phon said:
    I would be excited for VR, if it was VR. Current VR tech is little more than a trick on the eyes, it is no more VR than those hoverboards, hover.

Current tech promotes eye strain, headaches and lacks any other form of immersion than simply covering your eyes. A circus trick, no more really.
    Hopefully, these VR gears don't explode like those 'hoverboards'. Lol. Seriously speaking though, I'm hoping they find a way to turn this pseudo VR into actual VR in a few years.