Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Shooter Levels Up to 10M Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBlizzard's Shooter Levels Up to 10M Players

Just a couple weeks past release and Blizzard's Overwatch juggernaut continues to grow, expanding half again from its 7M players on launch day. As of today, Overwatch has scored 10M active players. That's pretty impressive by any measure.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    under
    Discussions › General Gaming
    Discussion / If anyone was doubting Overwatch will have healthy playerbase
    I wrote
    Put your money where your mouth is.
    Overwatch will generate over 10 million in sales worldwide Guaranteed.
    4:58pm 5/13/16

:p lol
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Good for them.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    You're missing out if you didn't take the plunge, you've been warned, don't come vack here in a couple years and wish you would have started day one, you've all been warned and 10million cant be wrong.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Look !

A game by Blizzard is selling millions and millions of copies !

Who'd have expected THAT ?

Lol
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Keep drinking that Kool-Aid Blizzard is handing out.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Katilla said:
    Maybe it is just a really good game? Keep drinking that anti Blizzard juice that the bitter people keep handing out, nothing more horrible then being succesful, right?

Also, dissing Blizzard? I thought the edgy and cool people had become more original than that by now...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I had no doubt this game would be successful. All the negative Nancy's have to pick on another game now.

• ra123ra123 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    diablo 3 sold 10 mil copy to it doesnt mean that game is AAA title and awesome NO SHIT
    this game not even worth 10 penny fking totaly CASUAL shoter
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214

Katilla said:

I sure will. Fortunately for me it's the kind that tastes delicious and does not contain much cyanide.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    There they go talking about that "world" again... maybe its just because im reading on a mmo site but i cant call a "world" a handful of 6vs6 pvp maps.

But hey, 10mil sales... maybe they'll think about creating that "world" to explore, aka re-open development on Titan. Im sure the success of Overwatch has re-gained some confidence within the dev team that was at an all time low when they had to cancel Titan.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Easily one of the best games I have played in years... I'm happy to see it grows day by day.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I had no doubt this game would be successful. All the negative Nancy's have to pick on another game now.
    No no no, being succesful is EXACTLY what attracts the negative Nancy's, there is nothing more disgusting then that, just read the post below you. The indie, no one knows this game, hardcore niche, sandbox is where it is at, didn't you get the memo? 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Its so easy to get into but I can't stop logging in each day and playing more.  It really does give that feeling of easy to pickup hard to master.  I honestly thought without further customization or the like I would get bored but the synergy between classes just creates fun games and if the matchmaking is shit that round well it likely only lasted 5 minutes lol.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Truly addicted without a doubt. Best game to come along in years, only to get better.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    lahnmir said:
    No no no, being succesful is EXACTLY what attracts the negative Nancy's, there is nothing more disgusting then that, just read the post below you. The indie, no one knows this game, hardcore niche, sandbox is where it is at, didn't you get the memo? 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    LOL there's nothing more disgusting? I certainly hope you're speaking specifically to forum behavior, otherwise you need to get out more. :P

As for the Negative Nancy in me, that's raised more by products I simply don't like being successful, like MOBAs, Cartoony shooters, COD like shooters, Action games like God of War, platformers, etc.. As it simply means more and more of those games, and less of the games I actually want to see. Meaning I'm stuck getting my fill from less polished products, or waiting around for some crowdfunded sales pitch to be a reality...

By all means enjoy what you want to enjoy, yet don't act like everyone has to be happy such games are successful, nor that there isn't sound reason for not wanting to see them be successful.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Distopia said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    LOL there's nothing more disgusting? I certainly hope you're speaking specifically to forum behavior, otherwise you need to get out more. :P

As for the Negative Nancy in me, that's raised more by products I simply don't like being successful, like MOBAs, Cartoony shooters, COD like shooters, Action games like God of War, platformers, etc.. As it simply means more and more of those games, and less of the games I actually want to see. Meaning I'm stuck getting my fill from less polished products, or waiting around for some crowdfunded sales pitch to be a reality...

By all means enjoy what you want to enjoy, yet don't act like everyone has to be happy such games are successful, nor that there isn't sound reason for not wanting to see them be successful.
    What the hell are you even talking about? You act like he was talking to you.

"don't act like everyone has to be happy such games are successful"? What the hell does that even mean? Why the hell shouldn't people be happy a game is successful? Why the hell would anyone wish a game is unsuccessful?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• jelliuzjelliuz Member UncommonPosts: 97
    The funniest comments are the ones saying this has to cost 10$ or less and is casual as fuck.

You certainly didn't play it then, it is an absolute perfect team based shooter. Emphasis on team, you need tactics and skill to get to the highest ranks. 

Yes, it is playable and enjoyable by absolute noobs but so are other Blizzard games, thats why they sell so much. But it is so damn difficult to master and believe me, at the end of the month, ranked play is coming and you'll see some amazing stuff coming from this game. 

They delivered an absolute beauty of a game, with such an amazing polish to it, so fun to play casually and so fun to play on a higher level with 6 people on voice finding the best setup to break your enemies. 

I admit when a game is shit, like diablo 3 was at launch, but this one ? Great game and worth every penny. 
    edited June 2016

"don't act like everyone has to be happy such games are successful"? What the hell does that even mean? Why the hell shouldn't people be happy a game is successful? Why the hell would anyone wish a game is unsuccessful?
    I thought I laid my point out pretty plainly, I didn't say he was talking to me. I just figured I'd share what draws negative feelings in me when I see games like this being so successful. It's not like I'd troll the game or anything, but since the point was raised about success drawing negative attention. I thought I'd point out why it does for me personally. Also calm down... You might as well have written that post in all caps...

As for " Why the hell would anyone wish a game is unsuccessful" that's the very essence of a free market friend, we all have preferences, and it's perfectly natural to want those preferences to succeed over things we do not prefer. 
    Post edited by Distopia on

• LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    edited June 2016
    ra123 said:
    diablo 3 sold 10 mil copy to it doesnt mean that game is AAA title and awesome NO SHIT
    this game not even worth 10 penny fking totaly CASUAL shoter
    What is wrong with a casual shooter?  The game is loads of fun and you don't have to give your life to it in order to be "good".  Some of us have actual responsibilities...jobs, kids, mortgages, university, etc...  We don't all have 90 hrs a week to dedicate to a video game.  Should we not be allowed to have some fun with our friends a few hours a week?

Give it a rest man....and grow up a little.  The game is awesome and everyone playing it is having a great time.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited June 2016
    Key words "active players"

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Distopia said:

I thought I laid my point out pretty plainly, I didn't say he was talking to me. I just figured I'd share what draws negative feelings in me when I see games like this being so successful. It's not like I'd troll the game or anything, but since the point was raised about success drawing negative attention. I thought I'd point out why it does for me personally. Also calm down... You might as well have written that post in all caps...

As for " Why the hell would anyone wish a game is unsuccessful" that's the very essence of a free market friend, we all have preferences, and it's perfectly natural to want those preferences to succeed over things we do not prefer. 
    "Also calm down... You might as well have written that post in all caps..."

LOL...since I didn't. Maybe you should calm down and realize I just asked questions....maybe?

As to the rest...oh yeah, much more clear to me now

/rolls eyes

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Distopia said:

"Also calm down... You might as well have written that post in all caps..."

LOL...since I didn't. Maybe you should calm down and realize I just asked questions....maybe?

As to the rest...oh yeah, much more clear to me now

/rolls eyes
    /slapsonthebackmideyeroll..

• ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited June 2016
    As I said in the other thread, shooters have an extremely finite lifespan. Overwatch may be fun, it may be polished, and it may be developing a following... but, at its core, its a very simple game that's going to quickly run its course. This is why so many new FPS titles are released every year - because their supporters are flighty and easily bored - they want new battlefields; new game modes; new opposition; new objectives and settings. 

So, really, it doesn't matter if Overwatch reaches 10 million; it doesn't matter if it reaches 20, because in 6-12 months, 90% of them will be gone - forever. It's the nature of the beast. If Blizzard wants to make another big splash with some actual staying power, they need to release another MMORPG. That's all there is to it.

*Edit* As an aside, how much was MMORPG.com paid off to continuously hype this puppy? It's not an MMORPG. Let me say that again: It. Is. Not. An. MMORPG. So... aside from the fact that it was produced by Blizzard, why should I care about Overwatch updates?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Tintagil said:

Katilla said:

I sure will. Fortunately for me it's the kind that tastes delicious and does not contain much cyanide.

Much better than the Kool-Aid they served in that Jonestown sim.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited June 2016
    lahnmir said:
    Katilla said:
    Maybe it is just a really good game? Keep drinking that anti Blizzard juice that the bitter people keep handing out, nothing more horrible then being succesful, right?

Also, dissing Blizzard? I thought the edgy and cool people had become more original than that by now...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    No, we still diss Blizzard.  B)

You can never go wrong with the "classics"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon