Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Persistent Development

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    vorpal28 said:
    Moirae said:
    Every mmo is in persistent development. Its the nature of the beast. Once again, we will see. I'm not falling for the hype ever again.
    Helps if you read the article before posting, it's about the fact that they've finally implemented databases on their backend servers to save information about your account/character/ship and made them Persistent rather than losing all the info once you log off the game.
    What is absolutely astonishing to me is the fact they didn't start with a database / storage scheme.  Worse yet, adding this core functionality is somehow newsworthy.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Please don't try and compare 2 great games to SC.

My point that you are trying to unsuccessfully gloss over is that SC implementing persistence is not something that should be touted as a huge goal since its a common feature in just about every single game.

I compare these two great games to SC all the time.................
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited June 2016
    Mendel said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Moirae said:
    Every mmo is in persistent development. Its the nature of the beast. Once again, we will see. I'm not falling for the hype ever again.
    Helps if you read the article before posting, it's about the fact that they've finally implemented databases on their backend servers to save information about your account/character/ship and made them Persistent rather than losing all the info once you log off the game.
    What is absolutely astonishing to me is the fact they didn't start with a database / storage scheme.  Worse yet, adding this core functionality is somehow newsworthy.
    Educate yourself before trying to be snarky.

The persistent universe feature in SC is something much more complex than a mere database / storage theme. Or a save function like some here claim to be.

You people have no access to the alpha, fair enough. However there is tons of info about the persistent universe on the project website for everyone not playing the alpha to read and understand what CIG is building.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    vorpal28 said:
    Moirae said:
    I did read the article. So what. These games keep acting like this is a feature when its just part of the game. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Mendel said:

vorpal28 said:

Moirae said:

I think it's news worthy enough to say that they have the back-end in place, and can finally start seeing some forward movement in terms of adding to the universe and fleshing it out. A milestone if you will. But hey that's just me...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Lolz. More like persistent money pit. CR needs to keep his hands and his wife's hands out of the cookie jar and complete a playable game for these folks who have already anted up thousands of dollars.
    Distopia said:

Mendel said:

vorpal28 said:

Moirae said:

I think it's news worthy enough to say that they have the back-end in place, and can finally start seeing some forward movement in terms of adding to the universe and fleshing it out. A milestone if you will. But hey that's just me...
    A milestone, yes.  Just one that should have happened a very long time ago.  Project development gone backwards.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    This has FireFall (Red 5 Studios) history Painted all over it.
    Moirae said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Moirae said:
    I did read the article. So what. These games keep acting like this is a feature when its just part of the game. 
    LOL you read it but still made this comment? "Every mmo is in persistent development. Its the nature of the beast." LOL

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,294
    Interesting.

Star Citizen is - according to your opinion - mostly owned by a Chinese company ?

CIG has not paid its employees since December 2015 ?

Star Citizen closed beta is running since 2011 (before ! project start in Nov 2012 ?!) ??

Star Citizen has Manga Novels written for it ?

CIG has hired a company to lure away the 100 best Blizzard employees ?

Really ?

Have fun
    Mendel said:

A milestone, yes.  Just one that should have happened a very long time ago.  Project development gone backwards.
    Maybe so,  yet with all the hoopla that has been surrounding this game,  as well as considering most of it has stemmed from lack of progress, as well as features like this not being implemented.

With so many calling out for a show of progress, it makes sense to put this kind of thing out there. This is what people actually interested in the game, rather than the drama, or being the first to offer the best "snarky" comment, want to hear. 

Shodanas said:
    Mendel said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Moirae said:
    Educate yourself before trying to be snarky.

The persistent universe feature in SC is something much more complex than a mere database / storage theme. Or a save function like some here claim to be.

You people have no access to the alpha, fair enough. However there is tons of info about the persistent universe on the project website for everyone not playing the alpha to read and understand what CIG is building.
    There was no snarkiness, either actual, implied or intended.  Announcing a feature achievement for something that should be fundamental to the nature of the genre (persistence) after significant work on other aspects (movement, graphics), seems a 'cart before the horse' approach to someone who has worked with computers and software development since 1972.  It was (and is) my opinion on how the developers appear to be approaching this project.

My opinion differs from yours.  Fine.  Doesn't make it snarky.

edited June 2016
    Erillion I was referring to the ADD that Star Citizen currently has. "Lets make a clothes currency shop time/curreny drop instead of actually the main game!" [mod edit] They need to focus on getting the central game going and release it then add your side crap like a clothes shop. Follow Elite Dangerous foot prints. They're doing rather well adding content/ships/side crap
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    so they can get the systems in place to fleece more money out of backers.
    How do you fleece backers with in game shops selling in game items for in game money (Alpha UEC) in an Alpha test (where purchases can get wiped at any time ... and the testers know it) ? The in game money is earned by ... you guessed it ... doing missions in the game. There is no connection between Alpha UEC and real world money. 

Have fun
    Well let's see they are focusing on creating shops in the game instead of maybe leaving that feature for later but they want more money sooner rather than later.

No connection between alpha UEC but I do like how you just forget to mention that anyone can buy UEC for real life cash. 
    Kefo said:

No connection between alpha UEC but I do like how you just forget to mention that anyone can buy UEC for real life cash. 
    And we have been over this for like 20 times already in the Star Citizen subforum.

Anyone who buys 1000 UEC for 1 $ real world cash NOW  is in my opinion an idiot because INDIVIDUAL players will soon have millions and billions of UEC from in game trading a few short weeks or months after the game has launched  (and i have posted links from game magazine articles from other games like Elite:Dangerous and EVE:Online time and time again ... were it is shown that this is a common occurence for any kind of space game).

To test the game you do not need any UEC at all. There are plenty of other ways (doing missions, getting Alpha-UEC from missions, getting REC currency from fighting in the Arena Commander module) to get in game currency to get stuff to test. Without ANY need to spend real world cash on UEC.

Have fun
    Kefo said:

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

"The most significant change introduces persistence to the universe"

Its pretty sad when the save feature is considered a major milestone.

There is a big difference between persistence and a save feature, especially in a multiplayer game. 

As an example you might want to take a look at the old Star Wars Galaxies and its player cities. Or EVE online and its player empires. Where persistent player changes to an Universe do have a big influence on how the game looks, feels and plays. 

Have fun

My point that you are trying to unsuccessfully gloss over is that SC implementing persistence is not something that should be touted as a huge goal since its a common feature in just about every single game.

Doesn't make any less sense than people crying "OMG! OMG! OMG! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! DISASTER!!!" over any and every picayune little detail that they feel reflects negatively on the game.
    No what makes sense is the database should have been one of the first things implemented but instead they chose to add it in after how long exactly? I'm sure when blizzard was building WoW or Verant was making EQ they never even thought about persistence until they were years down the road instead of programming it in as part of the backbone right?
    Kefo said:

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

There is a big difference between persistence and a save feature, especially in a multiplayer game. 

As an example you might want to take a look at the old Star Wars Galaxies and its player cities. Or EVE online and its player empires. Where persistent player changes to an Universe do have a big influence on how the game looks, feels and plays. 

Have fun

Doesn't make any less sense than people crying "OMG! OMG! OMG! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! DISASTER!!!" over any and every picayune little detail that they feel reflects negatively on the game.
    Not to mention it's that nonsense that makes sharing these types of milestones pertinent...

edited June 2016
    Erillion I was referring to the ADD that Star Citizen currently has. "Lets make a clothes currency shop time/curreny drop instead of actually the main game!" [mod edit] They need to focus on getting the central game going and release it then add your side crap like a clothes shop. Follow Elite Dangerous foot prints. They're doing rather well adding content/ships/side crap
    E:D and Star Citizen have different design philosophies. The first one has an incremental approach, focussing more on procedural generation and less on the  individual storyline. The second one has an integrative approach, with a strong emphasis on avatar gameplay and cinematic storytelling.

You claim that i have "epic blinders" and that CIG should focus on "central game" mechanics.

But that IS what they do, if you care to read their weekly and monthly development reports (in written and/or video format). They have MANY teams working on different aspects of the game. Some work on shops. Many more work on central game mechanics. Some work is easier and finished sooner (like the shopping part). Another part of the work is more demanding and needs more internal work (like the networking code). Should one team twiddle with their thumbs and NOT deliver the part they have finished, while another unrelated team is still working on their assignements ? And NO, usually you cannot just order the first team to help the second team, because these two teams have often completely different skill-sets.

CIG cannot follow in E:D footprints, because E:D is basically using a Peer-to-Peer network and is not build for handling avatar style gameplay like you see in Star Citizen. That is a major conceptual design difference. No Man's Sky is also essentially not designed to run as an avatar style multiplayer game, where more than two or three players meet in one place (and that is why NMS intentionally does NOT offer any easy way for the players to find each other - to meet in one place at the same time). Star Citizen does a lot of things differently.

Maybe my blinders are more transparent than you think.

Have fun
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Kefo said:

No what makes sense is the database should have been one of the first things implemented but instead they chose to add it in after how long exactly? I'm sure when blizzard was building WoW or Verant was making EQ they never even thought about persistence until they were years down the road instead of programming it in as part of the backbone right?
    Are you suggesting they just now started work on this? It being completed says nothing about when they  started it's development, we've also known all along they have had separate teams building different aspects of the game, using a modular approach. The backend had to be done before they could start piecing those modules together. The idea that the back-end is not the backbone is a bit silly don't ya think? 

Kefo said:
    Kefo said:

Erillion said:

Kefo said:

Have fun

Well then why the hell didn't they hire you to build their game as you seem to know exactly how it should be built. Hey CIG, talk to this guy as he seems to know more about how to create your own game than you do.

Go for it man, give em hell.

...Or were you speaking figuratively? :p
    My programming experience stops at grade 13. The fact that I seem to know more then some of the devs should be a concern to many lol
  • cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    check out dual universe a game that looks alot less like a conartists pyramid scheme than star citizen

so say we all

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Erillion said:
    Interesting.

Star Citizen is - according to your opinion - mostly owned by a Chinese company ?

Star Citizen closed beta is running since 2011 (before ! project start in Nov 2012 ?!) ??

Really ?

Have fun
    Is that what he said? or Is that what you said? I don't think he made those specific accusations. You are just using hyperbole to put your own spin on it.

And just for the people that don't know of Firefalls history. It technically wasn't a crowdfunded game. But it sat in perpetual development stage after many, many, many updates all the while people were playing it and buying stuff with real cash in the in game cash shop. it is of my opinion that you shouldn't be buying things in a game with cash while its still in development. people will do it anyway.

Have Fun

edited June 2016

Erillion said:
    Interesting.

Really ?

Have fun
    Is that what he said? or Is that what you said? I don't think he made those specific accusations. You are just using hyperbole to put your own spin on it.
    @Sirmatthias compared CIG/Star Citizen with Red 5 Studios/FireFall and its history.

The things i mentioned ARE the history of Red 5 Studios/FireFall.

Personally I do not see any similarities. Do you ? Does @Sirmatthias ? If yes, what are the similarities he sees ?

Have fun
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    And with FireFall, games mags started reviewing it was soon as the cash shop went live, saying that as soon as you start taking people's money for micro transactions then you should be ready to have your game reviewed.