Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft movie NA mediocre sales opening day.

124»

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    scorpex-x said:
    Warcraft has made over $200 million so far, looking good.

Seems their strategy of releasing in the states last was a huge success.

http://www.ibtimes.com/warcraft-us-box-office-crushing-expectations-despite-bad-reviews-video-game-movie-2380914

Oh and people really need to understand this isn't a wow movie, it's based on the warcraft game from 1994. 
    not really.  the bad reviews from overseas has hurt the release in america.  China would have gone to see the movie even if america had bad reviews but americans are definitely swayed to some extent on bad reviews, unless it's transformers.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Kabaal said:
    It doesn't matter how well it does from this point onwards anyway, it's already made more than it's production cost back so it's all profit from here on in.
    1) there's something called marketing costs which are about equal to cost of production
    2) gross revenue is not the same as net - especially considering theaters make money on those sales too

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Opening weekend NA the movie pulled in 24 million.  Considering inflation that is about the same Battlefield Earth got.  China is either on a nice strong economy right now or they just love game movies.  IDK what the deal with NA why they refuse to accept video game movies.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited June 2016
    filmoret said:
    Opening weekend NA the movie pulled in 24 million.  Considering inflation that is about the same Battlefield Earth got.  China is either on a nice strong economy right now or they just love game movies.  IDK what the deal with NA why they refuse to accept video game movies.
    Basically, all this is proof of is that a lot of Chinese people have absolutely no taste. 

The film is bad - it has been panned because it has sluggish plotting, bad acting, and unlovable, poorly-realized characters. Even the huge battle scenes have been referred to as hollow, emotionless, and derivative. 

Nobody is saying people can't like this movie - I myself have a guilty pleasure in bad disaster movies (shout out for Dante's Peak). But I can simultaneously enjoy a thing while acknowledging that it is utter rubbish. And under no circumstances should Warcraft be considered anything but complete tripe. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    from: http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-conjuring-2-now-you-see-me-2-weekend-box-office-1201770307/

I’m now hearing from certain sources that the net production cost of $160M (with rebates, production partners) and P&A of $110M are much higher on the Duncan Jones’ videogame epic.

Ouch.