Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Tamriel

2»

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited June 2016
    Yes and lotro. I'll say it again lotro has a deeper story line than ESO. From the first meeting with Aragorn and Gandaf in the prancying pony to the one man instance skirmishers and the rest of the game.

ESO isn't even close.

Guess you haven't played through lotro.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Firor designed the game on what was familiar to him - 3 factions like DAoC.

What he failed to understand is that doesn't translate well to Elder Scrolls at all

The 3 factions design was a failed feature from the start, I am glad they are finally doing away with it, it never belonged in Elder Scrolls 
    The three faction design is not gone from either the many stories that reference it nor from Cyrodiil - the PVP there and in the Imperial City will still be the same three factions it has always been.

What they're doing is extending the PVE battle-leveling concept they debuted in Wrothgar to all zones and removing the PVE alliance separation. This last bit had pretty well already been "telegraphed" when they removed that separation from dungeon and raid grouping.

That bolstering system works pretty well except for the very new players who don't know yet that personal fighting/healing power comes from unlocking and using some of the harder to get at abilities and passives that you only get by putting in the time with your character, champion passives and the dropped or crafted item sets. There is no leveling down to content here like in GW2, it is all leveling up to the max level.

Dungeon groups you get through the dungeon finder (when it works - it was broken once again with the DB DLC release) already work this way: all dungeons you run this way are leveled to veteran rank 160 (the current mob max) and players can queue for them at level 10. This has created and "elite" side-effect where low level characters, especially those queued as healers or tanks routinely get kicked out of groups where they're the only low-level player or veteran rank players with lots of CPs leaving groups where they are the only high level one... and this in turn led to the introduction of grouping timers and time penalties for leaving groups which seems to be what broke the group finder this time around.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Yes and lotro. I'll say it again lotro has a deeper story line than ESO. From the first meeting with Aragorn and Gandaf in the prancying pony to the one man instance skirmishers and the rest of the game.

ESO isn't even close.

Guess you haven't played through lotro.
    i have, i just seriusly doubt you have ever played ESO because i have read your hate for that game since before it even came out.

you must be a masochist then? 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited June 2016
    I have played it, how else would I come to dislike the game.  So again plz explain how you think ESO has a deeper story line than lotro, it's actually laughable that you would come to that conclusion. 

Post edited by SavageHorizon on

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I have played it, how else would I come to dislike the game.  So again plz explain how you think ESO has a deeper story line than lotro, it's actually laughable that you would come to that conclusion. 

Lotr the books to the game is not really that deep of a story...the story is pretty straight forward and not thought provoking.
    Horusra said:

Lotr the books to the game is not really that deep of a story...the story is pretty straight forward and not thought provoking.
    Well to be fair to SavageHorizon, the LOTRO game has the fantasy books to draw on, which, although looking a bit dated and pedantic now compared to a lot of fantasy writing that came after, are still well-written books.

ESO, WOW, FF, the Ultimas, etc., OTOH, were created as games not books, and the lore they cobbled together over the years, as much as I like some of it, does pale in comparison to the depth of many stories that began as books.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Set it apart from other mmos, ermm Lotro has a deeper story line than ESO.

It does? I would say the world has deeper lore but the Lord of the Rings Online doesn't really have that deep of a story. Not significantly so.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    lol lotr online is your traditional fantasy setting doing the exact same thing as the other million books released throughout the years. The game on the other hand is pure garbage and was the main reason it went free to play from its short comings. Dissing ESO lore for lotr lore is ridiculous at best its all a matter of opinion on what story you like more. ESO lore is much more interesting to myself than lotr as to me Ive read the same stories over the years in different variations anyways. Im not dissing tolkien , his stuff was written before most of the other stuff ever came out , but his story was okay nothing spectacular.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Iselin said:
    Horusra said:

Well to be fair to SavageHorizon, the LOTRO game has the fantasy books to draw on, which, although looking a bit dated and pedantic now compared to a lot of fantasy writing that came after, are still well-written books.

ESO, WOW, FF, the Ultimas, etc., OTOH, were created as games not books, and the lore they cobbled together over the years, as much as I like some of it, does pale in comparison to the depth of many stories that began as books.
    Agreed, one could pretty much argue most of these games are drawing heavily on LOTR as well as other popular properties such as D&D (which itself drew inspiration from LOTR) when creating their lore.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    It's a good thing IMHO. The game still needs player housing thou.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited June 2016
    I feel I should say that both LOTRO and ESO have pretty great storylines (at least for the main story). However, ESO's storyline is unique to the game, and within context to the lore. Whereas Lotro borrows the actual storyline heavily from the books, which is one of the greatest stories ever written.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One of the nice things about GW2 is that you can lvl in any starter zone once you learn your way around.  

So jumping from one faction zone to another in ESO makes it easy to go into the next zone 1, 2, or 3 levels higher then that zone.  Which allows you to just skip a lot of content if you don't like it.  IE you won't have to do everything in a zone anymore.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Open world PvP in all zones except starter zones and having a server to support that play style would be my dream.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    goboygo said:
    Open world PvP in all zones except starter zones and having a server to support that play style would be my dream.
    I think the justice system pvp needs to be a feature with this open tamriel. So essentially, Pvp is optional unless you kill guards/civilians.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile

go back and re-read my posts, i never disagreed with you, i just question your knowledge of the story in ESO and i still do.  
    Sovrath said:
    Set it apart from other mmos, ermm Lotro has a deeper story line than ESO.

It does? I would say the world has deeper lore but the Lord of the Rings Online doesn't really have that deep of a story. Not significantly so.
    i don't think he really knows, dude has been hating on ESO since before it even launched. which is fine but don't tell me you know how deep the story is in a game you hate and don't play lol

i can smell a bull shitter from a mile away.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    goboygo said:
    If your dream is the death of ESO....
    goboygo said:
    As long as that stays between your head and your pillow, I'm OK with that.

Like another game needs the aggravations that come with OWPVP, sheesh.

In fact, for Western audiences, segregation of PVE and PVP in one game is the only thing that allows both sides to co-exist in the same universe.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Horusra said:
    goboygo said:
    If your dream is the death of ESO....
    I was just thinking how open world pvp would probably be the worst thing that could happen to ESO and then I read this, haha.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Albatroes said:
    I still would just like a basic Auction house. I am probably in the minority about that but I like an AH.
    I really doubt you're in the minority wanting an AH. That's one of the reasons keeping me from playing the game.
    Agreed, give us an AH and let the players drive the economy properly and then we can do a bit of business if we like. Great idea.