Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOFTW: FFXIV's Revenge of the Horde is Launched - Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageMMOFTW: FFXIV's Revenge of the Horde is Launched - Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

This week's show is all about Eternal Crusade's Eldar, Shards Online's steam greenlight, FFXIV's big patch, WildStar's Steam launch, and more! Watch and learn!

Read the full story here

Comments

• mutsetmutset Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Best PVE online game ever.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Bill!

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577

mutset said:

*Best PvE Group Endgame game at the moment.

At it's peak WoW still did it better.
    As for other PvE content (the majority of it), there are MMOs who do it way better.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I love how they tried to cash in on the wow movie with that patch name xD
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited June 2016

scorpex-x said:

I love how they tried to cash in on the wow movie with that patch name xD

"Horde" isnt TM of Activision-Blizzard afaik ;)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I jumped back into Wildstar, probably won't stay long. The new Conan game does look cool, and I love that setting but like you said Bill...hopefully it is not another tree punching simulator.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Just came back for this and I'm loving it so far. Worth every cent.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    In the words of Robert Downy Jr. " Never go full Retard" -my suggestion to why Wildstar doomed itself. too much comedy.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Nothing could get me back on that gear treadmill of a game (ffxiv). Boring, predictable, and shallow.
  • NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Having a lot of fun in patch 3.3. I am really liking the randomized treasure hunt dungeons you can open with dragon skin maps(50/50% chance). Inside you kill stuff to be able to open the treasure chests in the middle of each room. After you clear a room you have 2 doors to choose from, 1 will lead to the next treasure room and 1 will get you sucked out of the dungeon. It is 7 rooms deep and the further you go the more treasure, crafting item, materia, minions, armor and many other thing you get. Also randomly bosses can drop down in the middle of a battle that drop their own treasure chests and treasure goblins will come running in that you have only so much time to kill and drop a lot of gil. :)

Neverwinter anyone?

• ZhenocnraZhenocnra Member UncommonPosts: 40
    TL;DR: Just curious, not much has changed as far as spell casting/skills and combat (PvE and PvP), correct? I would assume so given it's only an expansion rather than a "remodel" or "overhaul." Or does this bring something good for a former player wanting more "flow" from FFXIV PvP and PVE?

Long story not short:
    So after playing WoW and THEN going to Aion and not the other way around, Aion was so choppy to me because the GCD wasn't as consistent as I was used to and it mostly occurred AFTER the spells finished casting in Aion (compared to WoW where the GCD usually starts immediately after you activate skills/spells). That kind of rubbed me the wrong way until after a while I got used to the pace, peaks, and lows of PvP and PvE in Aion. Even with getting used to and loving Aion's combat system ESPECIALLY the diversity, sheer amount of spells and skills, graphics, and the fact that there were combos (chain skills), in the end I honestly could NOT get over how awkward the FFXIV combat system was.

Specifically speaking, the issue I had was the fact that the casting was rough compared to WoW, very narrow and not as diverse compared to Aion, and completely different from what I absolutely loved about casting spells in FF10. I wasn't expecting turn based and I didn't want that either. However I did not like being locked down while casting in FFXIV, the diversity of spells didn't really exist either even compared to WoW, and it felt a lot like Ragnarok Online pre-trans or WoW pre-TBC. That last part being, in WoW, shamans and druids couldn't really be casters (look at the old tier sets) like they were AFTER TBC. In Ragnarok Online, priests were so binary (in my opinion) and were the complete opposite of "the best defense is a good offense." At least with TBC, elemental shamans and boom/oomkins could hold a candle to the other casters (proportionally given they were almost mages wearing chain/leather and COULD heal too). In the same regard, high priests in Ragnarok became much more "active" in my opinion but that wasn't solely because they were an "evolved" class of the priests unlike WoW and TBC (a lot more changed with trans in Ragnarok Online than just the classes).

I've only played two games from Square Enix: FF10 and FFXIV. Is there any point in holding out for a Final Fantasy MMORPG that isn't as constricting or black and white as FFXIV? It's like they didn't want to change the formula of "nostalgia" from FFXI and kept that "old school" feeling.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited June 2016
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    mutset said:
    Currently? Maybe. Ever? No, there were better.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    mutset said:
    Currently? Maybe. Ever? No, there were better.
    All things relative. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Zhenocnra said:
    TL;DR: Just curious, not much has changed as far as spell casting/skills and combat (PvE and PvP), correct? I would assume so given it's only an expansion rather than a "remodel" or "overhaul." Or does this bring something good for a former player wanting more "flow" from FFXIV PvP and PVE?

Long story not short:
    So after playing WoW and THEN going to Aion and not the other way around, Aion was so choppy to me because the GCD wasn't as consistent as I was used to and it mostly occurred AFTER the spells finished casting in Aion (compared to WoW where the GCD usually starts immediately after you activate skills/spells). That kind of rubbed me the wrong way until after a while I got used to the pace, peaks, and lows of PvP and PvE in Aion. Even with getting used to and loving Aion's combat system ESPECIALLY the diversity, sheer amount of spells and skills, graphics, and the fact that there were combos (chain skills), in the end I honestly could NOT get over how awkward the FFXIV combat system was.

Specifically speaking, the issue I had was the fact that the casting was rough compared to WoW, very narrow and not as diverse compared to Aion, and completely different from what I absolutely loved about casting spells in FF10. I wasn't expecting turn based and I didn't want that either. However I did not like being locked down while casting in FFXIV, the diversity of spells didn't really exist either even compared to WoW, and it felt a lot like Ragnarok Online pre-trans or WoW pre-TBC. That last part being, in WoW, shamans and druids couldn't really be casters (look at the old tier sets) like they were AFTER TBC. In Ragnarok Online, priests were so binary (in my opinion) and were the complete opposite of "the best defense is a good offense." At least with TBC, elemental shamans and boom/oomkins could hold a candle to the other casters (proportionally given they were almost mages wearing chain/leather and COULD heal too). In the same regard, high priests in Ragnarok became much more "active" in my opinion but that wasn't solely because they were an "evolved" class of the priests unlike WoW and TBC (a lot more changed with trans in Ragnarok Online than just the classes).

I've only played two games from Square Enix: FF10 and FFXIV. Is there any point in holding out for a Final Fantasy MMORPG that isn't as constricting or black and white as FFXIV? It's like they didn't want to change the formula of "nostalgia" from FFXI and kept that "old school" feeling.
    Early on in FFXIV, players complain about its GCD. It's too slow......and it is. However, as you level up and gain abilities, you discover that its designed this way because of how the game's combo system works. In the upper levels, the GCD is pretty busy. if it were any shorter, you wouldn't be able to achieve the sequences you need. I actually rather like it this way. The question is, can you deal with it at lower levels until then?