Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game changed your mind?

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 967
    As much as I am a fanboy of City of Heroes, I hated the game when I first started playing it in beta.  It was my first MMORPG, after playing FPS and sims almost exclusively.  I even yelled obscenities at my computer screen once after dying!

But one of my friends got on voice comm with me and walked me thru the basics, and once I adjusted, I really got to like the game.  I even wrote several player guides!

Now it is my favorite game of all time.  Go figure!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,275
    SWTOR was that game for me.  Was so disappointed in the game when I first tried it out during pre-release.  I played for a month and then said nope, I wont ever play this again.  About 2 years ago, gave it another chance and now I love it. 

I thought the same thing would happen with ESO but as of now, I still can't get into it.  I have tried 4 times now since release and each time its still not there for me.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Actually ... At first, I hated almost every game I ended up liking.
  • GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Marvel Heroes for me. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,503
    Some games take awhile to get into so sometimes it's hard to tell if you like something or not from the first 5 minutes.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,519
    SWTOR was that game for me.  Was so disappointed in the game when I first tried it out during pre-release.  I played for a month and then said nope, I wont ever play this again.  About 2 years ago, gave it another chance and now I love it. 

I thought the same thing would happen with ESO but as of now, I still can't get into it.  I have tried 4 times now since release and each time its still not there for me.
    I hadn't really thought about TOR, but I had a similar experience. When I first played it the game just didn't click with me. I stopped playing for quite a while and when I picked it back up it was a different experience and it keeps getting better for me.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    I didn't think much of Fallout at first.

Homeworld; fought the control and interface, glad I did.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,034
    I had no attraction to Overwatch, or any FPS for that matter, yet after the open beta, I pre-ordered and I'm having a blast.
    I also had my doubts about Black Desert, I wasn't impressed at all after the first closed beta, but thanks to the advice of a fellow forum poster here, I gave the game a better chance during the second closed beta and it turned to be the best MMORPG since GW2 for me.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,159
    Lineage 2, I didn't like it much at first but after I got into some PvP it turned me into an adrenaline junky. Most recently Overwatch, I played closed beta and just didn't feel it. I preordered origins addition because I'm a Blizzard fanboy but I have a little under 70 hours into the game now. It is a relaxing type of fun, haven't had many of those lately.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 307
    WoW vanilla. It was my 3rd MMORPG, after SWG (Pre-CU, CU and NGE) and DDO. As a Human Paladin on a PVE server it just didn't grab me, lame and cartoony. Then I did Horde on a PvP server and I was hooked. Even as a carebear, I fell in love with the dynamic environment of a PvP server. On top of that, the soundtrack for the Orc/troll starting area was just awesome
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Lots of games have changed my mind 

Everytime i play a mmorpg that im hyped for  and think this is gonna be awesome it turns out to be a pile of shite  which is pretty much every mmorpg for the last decade . People say you have grown out of them or maybe they just aint your thing, but no they are just crap ill keep patiently waiting for the "chosen one" to arrive
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,008
    edited June 2016
    World of Warcraft.  I was playing DAoC with an awesome guild and they were all in beta (we might have gotten a guild invite?  forget if they did that).  

I didn't even bother looking at it after seeing the cartoony look despite loving the Warcraft games in general.

Once I got past the initial look (and modern action figure looking characters), I liked it a lot and found it very enjoyable with the guild.  I was wrong about that one. . then later on I was right :)

LOTRO was another.  In beta. . didn't love it (I think it was the tutorial I didn't like) and never looked at it for a long time. . then wish I had because I got back into it too late.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,008
    edited June 2016
    Both ways.

Started out loving ended up not liking anymore at all: 

7 Day to Die -- Poorly optimized. Tedious. Clunky mechanics. More zombies (yay) Poor update cycle.

I have to say . . very sadly, that I agree with this one.  Once the leveling and skill points hit, it died for me.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,736
    Gmaes change over time. Sometimes the changes are better, sometimes they aren't. IN the case of SWTOR, the game got better. In the case of WoW..........well, let's not go there.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,034
    There's also games that changed my mind the other way... like Archeage.
    Love the game during beta, had my property, crafting, etc...
    Comes release, no way to find even just a spot for a garden if you had a life and couldn't log in as soon as the servers opened.
    Result: I asked and got a refund.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,902
    edited June 2016
    Never if I dislike or even hate a game, I end up disliking or hating it more the more I try it.

Example Wildstar - I've tried it 6 times and each time I forced myself to give it a shot it didn't work.

Other example SWTOR.

There are on the other hand games I loved at first that I can't play at all anymore - example Path of Exile, put 100's of hours into it took a year break and I abhor the game now.  It happens
  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,159
    DMKano said:
    Never if I dislike or even hate a game, I end up disliking or hating it more the more I try it.

Example Wildstar - I've tried it 6 times and each time I forced myself to give it a shot it didn't work.

Other example SWTOR.

There are on the other hand games I loved at first that I can't play at all anymore - example Path of Exile
    Yikes I have something in common with you. I had the same problem with Path of Exile. I jump in ever so often and just am not feeling it.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Every other mmorpg has a bitter feeling to its controls and gameplay while adapting.
    Some just have learning curve, and rest are just bad.

Archeage - Turned out incredible game, hellspawn publisher tho.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,902
    edited June 2016
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:

Other example SWTOR.

There are on the other hand games I loved at first that I can't play at all anymore - example Path of Exile
    Yikes I have something in common with you. I had the same problem with Path of Exile. I jump in ever so often and just am not feeling it.

Yep for me what happened with PoE is not burnout (before someone jumps to conclusions), this is something entirely different.

I mean after a year break I installed it again, looked at my list of characters found updated specs that worked with my gear and the actual gameplay just seemed SO BAD to me, I was sort of taken back like - what changed?

I couldn't figure it out, I played for about 4 hours and just came to the conclusion that I am really just not liking the game at all anymore.

Uninstalled and never looked back - I guess my tastes changed in a span of a year.

I just remember loving this game so much, now I hate it :/

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    edited June 2016
    I'm with Sovrath about Morrowind.  The art style didn't set well with me.  I also made the mistake of trying to do hand-to-hand combat (Khajiit character).  My hand was so sore/tired after each fight, I gave up.  I think I made it to Balmora before giving up.  About a year later, I tried again and fell in love with the game.

VG

• wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    My recent,

I was expecting a lot from Rise of the Tomb Raider, I was convinced this have to be a very good game. Within an hour I started to think about control panel and deinstall function, damn a MacGyver in survival mode, even very good graphics can't bring me to play the game again.

I did not expect much from The Witcher 3, I thought ''probably some brain death violence...''even though it contains such stuff, the game did suprice me a lot with genuine actors, story,...did not see that comin.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,490
    Aethaeryn said:
    World of Warcraft.  I was playing DAoC with an awesome guild and they were all in beta (we might have gotten a guild invite?  forget if they did that).  
    ...Once I got past the initial look (and modern action figure looking characters), I liked it a lot and found it very enjoyable with the guild.  I was wrong about that one. . then later on I was right :)
    This is basically what happened for me.  Pretty much all of my friends moved to WoW when it launched, so I moved along with them.  But, frankly, I never did like vanilla WoW all that much.  I'm one of those oddballs who grew to like it more with the expansions.

Vanilla WoW was just way too broken.  The majority of the class specs were worthless, and one of my biggest complaints was mob density.  You literally couldn't go anywhere off the main road without getting jumped and dazed a million times.  Such bad level design.

I stuck around though with all my friends until I eventually got used to the game and things started getting fixed more.  I enjoyed the Warcraft lore and I actually liked WoW's graphics(I know, I know), and the combat and class abilities were well done, so I grew to enjoy it to a fair degree.  Though, it never did become my favorite MMO or anything.

Side note: The fluidity of WoW's combat and animations made it really hard for me to like other games I tried later, such as:  LOTRO, WAR, EQ2, etc.

Gmaes change over time. Sometimes the changes are better, sometimes they aren't. IN the case of SWTOR, the game got better. In the case of WoW..........well, let's not go there.
    I found WoW so underwhelming at launch, the only thing changes could do to it was make it better.  I liked it more with each expansion until they completely ruined everything.  I played into Cata, and for the most part I really liked Cata(the zones and revamped zones were great), but they were already removing any and all choice and individuality and what little community there was left.  I haven't touched WoW since then.
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 94
    BDO
    1st day :  Grind 100% - Enjoy 100%
    2nd day : Grind 100% - Enjoy 95%
    3rd day : Grind 100% - Enjoy 90%
    :
    :
    :
    :
    70th day : Uninstall 100% - Enjoy 100%

"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing"

Benjamin Franklin
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 956
    Shadowbane for me.  Absolutely hated it, especially when getting ganked but when I became better at it I absolutely loved it!

imageimage

• JafeeioJafeeio Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I usually don't put any more time into games when I start out hating them, but after several attempts I actually had a bit of fun with WoW. Same for FFXIV, I despised the early tutorials but the game just kept getting better and better.

I had a strong prejudice against Call of Duty, but when I finally played Black Ops 1 (Multiplayer) I enjoyed it a ton and still think fondly about it. This didn't make me a lifelong fan however, MW3 was considerably less enjoyable and Black Ops 2 not at all, thus ending my short venture into the COD world.

The same can be said about Telltales The Walking Dead Season 1. From the outset neither part appealed to me. Cutscene-heavy, quicktime-events, zombies, but after getting the game in a Humble Bundle I was blown away.